homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Moo's Non-Stop Kerygmaniacal Birthday Thread

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Moo's Non-Stop Kerygmaniacal Birthday Thread
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our beloved Moo, longtime Shipmate and Keryg host, has marked a milestone birthday this week. This thread is for conveying our best wishes to her, albeit in truly Kerygmaniacal fashion. What Bible verse best expresses your thoughts about long life, happiness, good health, and other such birthday-oriented themes?

Mine is from 3 John 1:2:
quote:

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, just as it is well with your soul.

[ 02. July 2015, 23:38: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations, best wishes, and thanks for all your commonsense contributions across the Ship from both of us.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Lord bless you
and keep you;
the Lord make his face shine on you
and be gracious to you;
the Lord turn his face toward you
and give you peace.”’

Numbers 6:24-26

(and a very happy birthday to my former co-host, with many thanks for her loyal service. ) [Axe murder] [Overused]

[ 08. February 2014, 03:26: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
StevHep
Shipmate
# 17198

- Posted      Profile for StevHep   Author's homepage   Email StevHep   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
31 Grey hair is a crown of glory;
it is gained in a righteous life.

Proverbs 16

[Axe murder] [Axe murder] [Axe murder]

--------------------
My Blog Catholic Scot
http://catholicscot.blogspot.co.uk/
@stevhep on Twitter

Posts: 241 | From: Exeter | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Job 12:12
Is not wisdom found among the aged? Does not long life bring understanding?

Isaiah 46:4
Even to your old age and grey hairs I am he, I am he who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has The Day finally arrived? Happy Birthday, Moo!

Deuteronomy 4:32
Ask now about the former days, long before your time, from the day God created human beings on the earth; ask from one end of the heavens to the other. Has anything so great as this ever happened, or has anything like it ever been heard of?

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday Moo!

I'm a bit unsure about adding this text, since it emphasizes being "finished" a bit too much (and the writer does preface it by saying the time of his departure is near) but I've always thought it would be a lovely thing to be able to say as one reached the later years of life, though hopefully with a few more miles to go in this race!

"I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Now there is in store for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but also to all who have longed for his appearing" (1 Timothy 4:7,8).

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Moo! Happy Birthday to you! May the dear Lord bless you! Happy long life to you!
(Wish I could sing it to you..)

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo, in light of your long service to the Ship, your grace and your wisdom, I have come to think of you as an on-line friend. As such, may I offer:

quote:
Faithful friends are a sturdy shelter:
whoever finds one has found a treasure.
Faithful friends are beyond price;
no amount can balance their worth.
Faithful friends are life-saving medicine;
and those who fear the Lord will find them.
Those who fear the Lord direct their friendship aright,
for as they are, so are their neighbours also.

It is from Sirach 6:14-17. And, yes, I know not everybody recognizes Sirach as a book of the Bible..but it is in mine, so that counts, right? [Smile]

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Presumably not 'Thou art not yet fifty years old yet hast thou seen Abraham?'

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Charles Had a Splurge on
Shipmate
# 14140

- Posted      Profile for Charles Had a Splurge on   Email Charles Had a Splurge on   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo,

No sign of your powers waning, so
Joshua 14:10-11

And now, as you see, the Lord has kept me alive, as he said, these forty-five years since the time that the Lord spoke this word to Moses, while Israel was journeying through the wilderness; and here I am today, eighty-five years old. 11 I am still as strong today as I was on the day that Moses sent me; my strength now is as my strength was then, for war, and for going and coming.

[edited for easy reading]

[ 09. February 2014, 17:47: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
"But to live outside the law, you must be honest" R.A. Zimmerman

Posts: 224 | From: What used to be Berkshire | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
WOW!

Thanks, guys!

Octogenarian Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday, Moo!

Oil and perfume make the heart glad,
and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel. (Proverbs 27:9)

[edited for easy reading]

[ 09. February 2014, 17:46: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
And, yes, I know not everybody recognizes Sirach as a book of the Bible..but it is in mine, so that counts, right? [Smile]

You betcha.

Keep 'em coming, folks.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember a Great birthday party in the Gospels. Oh, wait...

On reflection, it may be better to stick with Luke 5:39b: "for the old is best."

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like this one

quote:
The beginning of wisdom is this: Get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding.
Prov 4:5

I think you got that. You are a very wise Host and colleague, as I have good reason to know. Advancing years have in no way diminished that kingdom "pearl of great price".

To quote His Bobness, please "keep on keeping on"!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy birthday Moo.

Rejoice in The Lord always; again I will say, Rejoice!....

Philippians 4:4-9

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"So if a person lives many years, let him rejoice in them all." (Ecclesiastes 11:8.)

Hope you had a great day [Big Grin]

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I offer Joshua 14:10-12:
quote:
So here I am today, eighty-five years old! I am still as strong today as the day Moses sent me out; I’m just as vigorous to go out to battle now as I was then. Now give me this hill country that the Lord promised me that day.
Perhaps that should have been kept for 2019, but on the other hand perhaps Caleb can serve as inspiration for the future! No matter our age, we still have more mountains to conquer in what God has set before us. May God give you his strength and vigour for those still before you.

Happy birthday Moo!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if I'll be struck by lightning posting in Kerygmania.

knowledge of the Bible is not exactly my strength (I can totally quote some Tolkien!) so I had to do some digging.

Moo is one of my all-time favorite Shipmates. She is so kind to me, and has talked me through some challenges and helped me to understand some people and situations that I had trouble opening up my heart enough to try and empathize with. I'm still not always very good at this, but Moo has taught me so much. I'm trying to become a better person! I'm trying to open myself to understanding! Without Moo's wise guidance, this would be a lot harder.

When I mention the Ship to people out here in the blood and bone world, Moo is the one I probably brag on the most. She, to me, is the embodiment of what makes this place so special in a sea of chaos that the internet really is. Moo is not just an amazing font of knowledge; but she tempers it with kindness and understanding and flexibility and an openness to other people and their experience. And, thankfully, she can do all of this with humor.

Moo has been my teacher. And so I humbly offer this:
quote:
Proverbs 1:2-6:
To know wisdom and instruction, to understand words of insight,

to receive instruction in wise dealing, in righteousness, justice, and equity;

to give prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth—

Let the wise hear and increase in learning, and the one who understands obtain guidance,

to understand a proverb and a saying, the words of the wise and their riddles.

Happy Birthday, Dear One. My world would be a lesser place without your guidance.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Short but sweet, and seems appropriate for someone I have only positive thoughts of:

I thank my God every time I remember you Philippians 1:3

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
3 John 1:2

Dear friend, I’m praying that all is well with you and that you enjoy good health in the same way that you prosper spiritually.

Out of context, but this reflects my wishes for your good health and happiness, Moo! Thank you for all you have done to share your wisdom and kindness with so many of us.

Many years!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wisdom comes with years, but it in no way diminishes one's sense of humor. So I offer this verse:
quote:
Genesis 18.15-33
But Sarah denied, saying, ‘I did not laugh’; for she was afraid. He said, ‘Oh yes, you did laugh.’

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember the days of old, consider the years of many generations: ask thy father, and he will shew thee; thy elders, and they will tell thee.

Deuteronomy 32:7.

Happy Birthday Moo. You are a wise counselor and a well of information and insight.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I offer the first part of Psalm 90, v.10:

The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years ...

Congratulations to a strong, wise and very special lady. [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Moo
Happy birthday see Romans 8:34-38

quote:
Who is to condemn? It is Christ Jesus, who died, yes, who was raised, who is at the right hand of God, who indeed intercedes for us. Who will separate us from the love of Christ? Will hardship, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all day long;
we are accounted as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor rulers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

[Votive] [Angel] [Smile]

[edited to include text]

[ 10. February 2014, 09:51: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's kind of perplexing trying to find a suitably joyous and celebratory passage in the Necronomicon, but it's all I have handy. Maybe the bit about the feast of R'lyeh could be intentionally misinterpreted as being festive...

Anyway: happy birthday Moo. May you be eaten first.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cthulhu
PRAY TO BE EATEN FIRST
# 16186

- Posted      Profile for Cthulhu   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ROOK, YOU READ MY MIND. BUT MAYBE THAT IS BECAUSE I DEVOURED YOU A LONG TIME AGO.

MOO, YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO TOUCH THE NON-CHITINOUS PARTS OF THE TATTERED REMNANTS OF WHAT PASSES FOR MY SOUL. MANY YEARS, SWEETHEART.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" [Axe murder]

[ 10. February 2014, 04:20: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I WILL DESTROY YOU ALL. Nothing personal.

Posts: 78 | From: R'lyeh | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cthulhu:
ROOK, YOU READ MY MIND. BUT MAYBE THAT IS BECAUSE I DEVOURED YOU A LONG TIME AGO.

MOO, YOU HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO TOUCH THE NON-CHITINOUS PARTS OF THE TATTERED REMNANTS OF WHAT PASSES FOR MY SOUL. MANY YEARS, SWEETHEART.

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" [Axe murder]

Cthulhu seems to be losing his edge ... [Biased]

Many happy returns Moo. [Yipee]

Hopefully no one has yet posted Isaiah 40:31 ESV - But they who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not faint

Tubbs

[ 10. February 2014, 13:53: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Devil's Advocate

Counsel for Beelzebub
# 666

- Posted      Profile for The Devil's Advocate         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Happy Birthday.

--------------------
"It appears to me that they who in proof of any assertion rely simply on the weight of authority, without adducing any argument in support of it, act very absurdly. I, on the contrary, wish to be allowed freely to question and freely to answer you without any sort of adulation, as well becomes those who are in search of truth."
~Vincenzio Galilei, Dialogue of Ancient and Modern Music

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit of difficulty finding anything terrifically upbeat in Ecclesiastes, but I'm pretty at least the first half of a verse said Party!

Anyway, Happy Birthday.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not age related but appropriate, I hope:

John 14: 23

If anyone loves me he will keep my word, and my father will love him and we shall come to him and make our home with him.

Bless you, Moo. Thank you for all you do, and thank you for your humour and wisdom over the many boards you have looked after.

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many happy returns for your milestone birthday. May the Lord bless and keep you all the days of your life.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016