homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » All Saints   » Absent Friends Meet - 24 Feb 2018 (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Absent Friends Meet - 24 Feb 2018
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has been a Ship tradition for many years for some of us to gather in London in the new year to remember those who have departed this vale of tears to claim their eternal reward (and to eat, drink and be merry, of course!). This year, that will include the boards themselves - or at least the software on which they have run for the last fartoolong!

I would like to propose that this years meet takes place on January 27, but I am perfectly open to moving it if others are unable to make that date. The traditional venue is the Jugged Hare on Vauxhall Bridge Road, but again I'm open to alternative suggestions.

As has been noted elsewhere recently, we don't seem to have many meets any more. It would be nice if we could make this one a success to mark the change to the new Ship.

All are very much welcome, new or old.

[ 17. January 2018, 10:12: Message edited by: Marvin the Martian ]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooooh.... the website says 20% off the bill for all of January!
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
... the last fartoolong ...

I looked at that and decided that "fartoolong" was a gastric condition caused by drinking too much tea.

I'll get my coat.

I'd love to be able to join you for the meet, but I'm never in the UK at the right time.

Have a good one! [Smile]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should be there.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not around on 27th, or for the following 2 weekends [Frown]

Last year, the Jugged Hare closed at 9 and weren't serving food

[ 05. January 2018, 21:10: Message edited by: Spike ]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pants

Emergency underwear
# 999

- Posted      Profile for Pants   Email Pants   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I'm not around on 27th, or for the following 2 weekends [Frown]

Last year, the Jugged Hare closed at 9 and weren't serving food

The harbinger of doom passes through...

--------------------
Many big thank yous to those who sponsored us.

I use £6m of military hardware to find hidden Tupperware in the woods.

Posts: 15217 | From: A grown up house | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can do 27th.

Could also do 20th if that’s better for Spike. But can Marvin do 20th?

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can come, maybe, health of offspring permitting.

According to the website of the Jugged Hare, they are open to 23:00 on Saturdays, only event currently on the site is 20% off in January.

Would anyone be interested in going to Tate Britain that afternoon?

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm open to any and all suggestions for alternative dates. The only weekend I can't manage is 3/4 Feb.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't do 13th or 20th January, 3rd or 24th February, but I am offspring-health-dependent, so ignore my availability.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please not during Dry January. I can't remember Gambit properly with a glass of lemonade. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It’s a possibility. I’m probably working most weekends between now and the end of February, and my office is only a few minutes’ walk away.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I hadn't considered that some Shipmates may be doing dry January (honestly, it never even occurred to me that it might be a possibility).

It has occurred to me that I can't make the 17th of February either.

So the first date that Spike, Tubbs and I can all make looks like being the 24th February!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’d very much like to come along again, I really enjoyed meeting people when I made it once before...
I can’t do 27th January though, I’ve got a gig calling for a ceidlh that night, which is scary because I haven’t done it for years, and I’ve never done it without having a fiddle in my hands!

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
24th ok for me.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, I can’t do 24 Feb.

How about 20 Jan but declare it a Feast Day as far as dry January goes??

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Yangtze:

I would but having double checked, I'm busy that night watching Star Wars with hubby and family.

24th Feb works for me. There's nothing to stop us having two meets - one in Feb and one in Jan. Two Absent Friends meets would kind of fit with the vision Gambit had one year for a Meet a Month.

[ 10. January 2018, 20:11: Message edited by: Tubbs ]

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m trying to go out and Meet Humans and Be Sociable as I’ve discovered that box-sets on Netflix/Amazon aren’t the same as actual 3d friends. I’d be very pleased at the idea of two meets, for what it’s worth.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am certainly up for meeting... the dates suggested so far seem fine for me!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
24th Feb is good for me

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh I'd love to make a last shipmeet but will raise a glass from here.
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
Oh I'd love to make a last shipmeet but will raise a glass from here.

I hope it's not the last Shipmeet! Or do you mean that you don't intend to go to any more? [Waterworks]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just reread that and not sure what I was thinking when I posted that! Possibly because I posted after reading all about the boards moving.

I'd love to be there though. Hopefully sometime [Smile]

[ 13. January 2018, 07:36: Message edited by: Emma Louise ]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Macarius and I are waiting to hear back from people we've already given dates to and so can't say yea or nay at the mo', although I do know we can't do 20th or 27th January.

If a date is chosen, we'll either turn up or not!

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Is the 20th a thing? Or another date?
I met some of you once and would love to do so again.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

It looks as if the Absent Meet will be happening on 24th February as a number of people have signed up for this.

I can't do either the 20th January or 24th February. I could do 27th January for a meet of some sort but I think I am probably on my own, unless we want to try for a meet a month again (Gambit tried, we tried a few years ago, and managed 10 months, iirc, but they included walks, museums and other meets).

If anyone is around for a meet on 27th January at the Jugged Hare, I'd want to combine it with the Impressionists in London EY exhibition at Tate Britain.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Can’t do the 27th, but I can do the February one.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Cool, we seem to have agreed on 24 Feb as the date. I may just abuse my Admin privileges to put it in the thread title [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Cool. Hopefully we'll be able to raise a glass to the new boards as well

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope to join you! The other Leaf and I are planning to leave the frozen Canadian heartland to be in London that weekend [Yipee]
Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh. I happen to be in Oxford on 24 Feb, with nothing better to do than to head down to London. [Big Grin]

[ 21. January 2018, 08:22: Message edited by: Ultracrepidarian ]

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reading with interest- and pleasant recollections of a few Brockenhurst meetings... ...

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Now I'm wondering if I can change my tickets for 24 February. I so want to come to this.

Yangtze and I met up yesterday to see the Rachel Whiteread exhibition (closes today) and some of the Lumiere London lights on my way to the theatre (which was why I wasn't available last night) and her way home.

--------------------

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What time(ish) on February 24?
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

It'll be a good idea to check with The Jugged Hare a few days beforehand that they'll be open, that they won't be closing early and that they'll be doing food

--------------------

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

quote:
Originally posted by Leaf:
What time(ish) on February 24?

Echoing this question. I don't want to rock up and be Norma no mates

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Let's say 7pm.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

Still looks good for me, I’ll try to make it [Smile]

--------------------

Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gahh. I've been an idiot and thought the meet was on the Friday evening rather than the Saturday evening. I'm probably not going to be able to make it. [Frown]

Is there anybody about who might be interested in meeting up on the Friday?

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi - this weekend I'm dealing with a recent family bereavement, and will have to withdraw. Enjoy!

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

I know from personal experience that it can be harder to cross the city, after a long week at work, than to cross the Pond! However I hope to meet the Shipmates who can make it to The Jugged Hare (the one on Vauxhall Bridge Road) this Saturday night.

Qoheleth, sorry to hear of the circumstances which will keep you away [Votive]

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

I've just spoken to the Jugged Hare. They've confirmed that they're open until 11pm this Saturday and they're serving food until 9pm

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

All my tickets and accommodation are booked, so this thing is definitely happening now!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

quote:
Originally posted by Ultracrepidarian:
Gahh. I've been an idiot and thought the meet was on the Friday evening rather than the Saturday evening. I'm probably not going to be able to make it. [Frown]

Is there anybody about who might be interested in meeting up on the Friday?

Assuming I can leave the flat safely, would you be interested in theatre tickets?

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be there for a drink or two! See you tomorrow.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I’m feeling shattered and my head hurts, so I’m not going to make it today [Tear]
I’d have loved to see you all. Next London meet definitely.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

That’s a shame [Frown]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I'm a no, too. Daughter hasn't had a good week and doesn't feel well enough to be left.

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

I will see you in about an hour!

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016