homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Pray for Prince George to be Gay? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pray for Prince George to be Gay?
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The provost of St. Mary's (Episcopal) Cathedral in Glasgow has suggested, as one way of working for for LGBT+ equality in the Church of England down South, that people pray for "the Lord to bless Prince George with a love, when he grows up, of a fine young gentleman."

A lot to unpack here. Prince George is 4. There is a lot science does not understand about precisely what causes sexual orientation, but it does have a consensus that, if it is not determined at birth, it is by pretty early in someone's life, so Prince George probably is whatever he is by now, although he may not know what that is yet.

Also, it does not help, in my opinion, the movement to stop conversion therapy or attempts to "pray the gay away" is not helped by any encouragement to pray that anyone be any sexual orientation.

Even if someone has already come out as bi, it seems misguided to pray that s/he fall in love with one particular gender, even if that person is so influential that that love could change policy in the Church or government.

Finally, Edward VIII's love for a divorcee did not bring about an immediate end to the C of E's policy on remarriage after divorce. I don't think the Church much appreciates being told what to do on human sexuality by its Supreme Governor or Supreme Governor-to-be. Popular support for a gay Sovereign or Heir might sway people voting in General Synod, but allowing same-sex marriage in the C of E (which very well should happen one day, in my opinion, although I am not English) could very well destroy the Anglican Communion as we know it, so there probably will be more than the happiness of the Royal Family on the voter's minds.

Brenda Clough
Shipmate
# 18061

- Posted      Profile for Brenda Clough   Author's homepage   Email Brenda Clough   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My reflex opinion is that the provost should have edited his sermon more carefully. In the classic American terminology, he should put a rubber band around his head and snap out of it.

--------------------
Science fiction and fantasy writer with a Patreon page

Posts: 6378 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's a blog post from January, not a sermon.

We could have an angels-on-the-head-of-a-pin type discussion about whether prayer has to precede temporally the causes of something for that prayer to have an effect but that's beside the point. Not least because praying that Prince George fall for a man allows for a wide range of sexual identities, not just being gay.

The suggestion was the last of a list of 9 ways in which the CofE could be induced to clean up its act and it was clearly intended tongue-in-cheek. I do suspect that Fr Kelvin is right that public pressure would lead to a change in the CofE's position if a senior royal did want to marry someone of the same sex.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arethosemyfeet:
The suggestion was the last of a list of 9 ways in which the CofE could be induced to clean up its act and it was clearly intended tongue-in-cheek. I do suspect that Fr Kelvin is right that public pressure would lead to a change in the CofE's position if a senior royal did want to marry someone of the same sex.

Anyone who knows anything about the internet knows that anyone as public as a cathedral provost is going to have their posts torn apart and taken out of context - and even in context and tongue-in-cheek, it is still a request to pray that someone be queer in some way, which I think hurts the cause of progressive Christianity (and LGBT rights in general) more than it helps it.

More generally, is it appropriate, even if in a tongue-in-cheek way, to pray that the heir fall in love with a Catholic in order to promote Ecumenism? Or that Prince George's eldest child be female? Or that he fall in love with someone non-white or someone who is a migrant? Or that he fall in love with someone trans or that the prince/ss be trans themself?

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't see the harm, to be honest. In the midst of all the fluff and nonsense about Royal weddings and what not, if it can be harnessed to the cause of justice then at least something worthwhile has been salvaged.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Usual cross-Pond caveat.)

What a bizarre idea.

George will be who he is, whoever that is. It's not for anyone else to tell him, or push him one way or another, or publicly use him as a poster-boy for their own ideas.

And he's four years old!

Someone will tell him about this, someday. Probably as bullying. Won't that be fun for him.
[Mad]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ugh. Just no. Praying for people to be gay is no better than praying for them to be straight.

Nor is at all appropriate to see a young child as a tool for reform rather than as a person in their own right. Seriously, even if you're in favour of the church taking certain positions, how is "God, please achieve this by tinkering with an individual person's love life" an appropriate strategy?

[ 01. December 2017, 22:29: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
roybart
Shipmate
# 17357

- Posted      Profile for roybart   Email roybart   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This gay man thinks that orfeo says it perfectly. 👌

--------------------
"The consolations of the imaginary are not imaginary consolations."
-- Roger Scruton

Posts: 547 | From: here | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:

More generally, is it appropriate, even if in a tongue-in-cheek way, to pray that the heir fall in love with a Catholic in order to promote Ecumenism? Or that Prince George's eldest child be female? Or that he fall in love with someone non-white or someone who is a migrant? Or that he fall in love with someone trans or that the prince/ss be trans themself?

Wow. You have really over-thought this through...

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think that's over-thinking it at all. I think it's pointing out the deep dangers involved in the kind of thinking that was on display.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
(Usual cross-Pond caveat.)

What a bizarre idea.

George will be who he is, whoever that is. It's not for anyone else to tell him, or push him one way or another, or publicly use him as a poster-boy for their own ideas.

And he's four years old!

Someone will tell him about this, someday. Probably as bullying. Won't that be fun for him.
[Mad]

This. Totally.
George is a real person with a real life to be lived. Give it a rest, Kevin Holdsworth. [Disappointed]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's not a prayer. That's the sort of manipulating God crap that deserves condemnation in the strongest terms as it makes Christianity look like little children play. Grow up stupid provost. God doesn't care a whiff about your wishes nor mine, only about your soul and whether you'd like some comfort.
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I don't think that's over-thinking it at all. I think it's pointing out the deep dangers involved in the kind of thinking that was on display.

This, though one might as easily say the deep dangers involved in the lack of thinking on display.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Dark Knight

Super Zero
# 9415

- Posted      Profile for Dark Knight   Email Dark Knight   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The royal heir is soooo much less important to most of us than is implied in this thread.

--------------------
So don't ever call me lucky
You don't know what I done, what it was, who I lost, or what it cost me
- A B Original: I C U

----
Love is as strong as death (Song of Solomon 8:6).

Posts: 2958 | From: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DK--

But he's a real person. A child. And THAT'S what's important. He's growing up in a fish bowl, through no choice of his own.

Speculating on his (future) sexuality is wildly and deeply inappropriate--especially in public, and to advance an agenda.

Whatever George is/will be is his own business, and possibly that of his parents.

The creep who made the comment needs to shut the hell up, and work on his own soul.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by Dark Knight:
quote:

The royal heir is soooo much less important to most of us than is implied in this thread.
My reaction to this has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that he's the royal heir. Though clearly the provost thinks that the royal heir is fair game.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has the whole world gone mad and adopted the mentality of a Daily Heil editorial?

This is just ridiculous. It was a satirical aside on the knots that the Church of England would tie itself in as a result of conflict between its twin reflexes of fawning deference to royalty and homophobia.

The author is outside the Church of England, gently launching small rocks into its pond. He is not on any kind of level beyond the purely superficial speculating on anything to do with an individual member of the royal family. Grow up, and read.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by ThunderBunk:
It was a satirical aside

I think it's been fairly well established in recent times that someone claiming they were trying to be funny is not a great defence when other people don't find their "quip" remotely funny.

And I just don't. It is not funny to joke about sexuality in this way. It is certainly not funny to anyone who has actually had their sexuality prayed about. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if some people I know have continued to pray about my sexuality long after I stopped "struggling" with it and declared that I'm gay because I'm supposed to be.

And to do it in reference to such a young child is especially tasteless.

So no, kindly don't tell me to lighten up. It's not appropriate.

[ 02. December 2017, 10:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
It was a satirical aside

I think it's been fairly well established in recent times that someone claiming they were trying to be funny is not a great defence when other people don't find their "quip" remotely funny.

And I just don't. It is not funny to joke about sexuality in this way. It is certainly not funny to anyone who has actually had their sexuality prayed about. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if some people I know have continued to pray about my sexuality long after I stopped "struggling" with it and declared that I'm gay because I'm supposed to be.

And to do it in reference to such a young child is especially tasteless.

So no, kindly don't tell me to lighten up. It's not appropriate.

When the word "appropriate" is used in this context, it's a sign that any kind of debate is impossible. Utterances are not devoid of context, illocutory force, register, irony, etc. in the real world, but clearly in the mind of some they are.

ETA: In any case, as you would see if you actually read what I said, the point I am making is that the subject of the original blog is not Prince George's sexuality it's the extent to which the Church of England is at the mercy of its strongest twin atavistic reflexes. His name needed to be used to make the point because only someone in his position would cause the crisis being posited.

[ 02. December 2017, 11:27: Message edited by: ThunderBunk ]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

orfeo

# 13878

I know the subject of the original blog post is not Prince George's sexuality. Why does that matter? In my view it's not any more appropriate as a wink and a nod at the end of the post than it would be as the headline.

If you're going to accuse me of not reading what you wrote, maybe you could start by reading what I wrote. I know it was a quip, a satirical aside. I quoted your description of it as a satirical aside PRECISELY for that reason. It's still not okay with me.

[ 02. December 2017, 11:37: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

I mean, you're basically trying to suggest that I don't understand that it was all about solving the Church's LGBT issues. But we've all been completely clear that was the context from the beginning.

My very first contribution was to say it was not appropriate to suggest using an individual as a tool for reform in that way. Okay? So I got it. I got it from the beginning. The fact that you think that makes it all okay does not mean I have to therefore find it okay.

And again, if you're going to suggest that other people haven't read what you've written, you need to do a far better job of showing that you've done the reading yourself. I don't think you have.

[ 02. December 2017, 11:43: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

Fair enough. I suppose I just don't understand why anyone thinks that an individual human being has even been really invoked in this discussion. His name is being used as a rhetorical device: has this become impossible? If so, we are in a mess, because the phrase "the personal has become political" surely reverses and becomes shorn of its political power; the political becomes entirely personal, and nothing personal can ever reach the political arena. This is a serious situation if it's true. How do you see that working?

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

Apologies for the double post, but I'm not sure that prayer, as in the opening of one's heart to God carrying a particular matter, has really been invoked either. Again, it's being used to make a slightly grotesque rhetorical point: no serious person would pray in the way you described and as the blog seems to; it's more a call to action in ways in which a serious person actually would take it, precisely because inactivity leaves one (as a gay member of the C of E, of which I am one) in the absurd position of relying on a crisis such as the Provost describes in order to precipitate change.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
His name is being used as a rhetorical device: has this become impossible?

Is this a rhetorical question?

When was it ever possible, exactly? What kind of wishes for the fate of an individual do you think ought to be fair game?

Let me ask you again to read. Because a some points have already been made that you seem to be ignoring in your grand generalisation of suggesting it's a problem if we can't rhetorically toy with the personal life of a little boy, because that means rhetoric is entirely dead.

First of all, the particular topic is part of the issue here. Something as deeply personal as someone's sexuality is not fair game in my book. Regardless of who that person is.

Secondly, we are talking about an innocent child. If you seriously don't see any distinction between that and, say, a politician or other figure who has themselves directly engaged in whatever topic you're making rhetorical points about, then I don't think you're thinking hard enough.

But I would still ask you in general to explain at what point it was ever necessary in rhetoric to move into this kind of personal territory.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
no serious person would pray in the way you described

Sorry, are you telling me that you don't believe anyone ever prays to change a person's sexuality?

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

quote:
quote:
no serious person would pray in the way you described

Sorry, are you telling me that you don't believe anyone ever prays to change a person's sexuality?
No I'm not, because I've been the object of that sort of prayer myself.

What am I saying? I'll reply at far greater length shortly.

--------------------

ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

Right, so I promised I would say what I meant at greater length. Here goes. I’m sorry if it is excessively long, but I can’t see an alternative.
First, I do regret the force with which my conversation with Orfeo has happened. I am also puzzled by it, because I’m pretty sure than we’re actually on the same side in the core debate, i.e. in believing that homosexuality and homosexual relationships are entirely compatible with Christian faith. I do need to apologise for one mistake I made earlier: when I said “serious people” I meant “people seriously interested in changing the Church of England’s position on human sexuality in the direction of my own position” – the shorthand was unhelpful.

Since my previous longish post, it has occurred to me that the sort of prayer being invoked is rather similar to conversion therapy, which is something I absolutely abominate. I can see why this would be triggering for anyone who has ever been subjected to it. I haven’t exactly, though as I say, when I was coming out and at my most vulnerable, I was surrounded by earnest CU types praying for my conversion to the joys of heterosexuality. It didn’t work, and I’m glad it didn’t. Again, if I thought that this was seriously what the author was aiming at I would be every bit as offended as people have been. The point is to prod those within the Church of England who believe that its position should change to engage practically in changing its position. Each and every point in the blog itself is a jab from a self-conscious outsider, and intentionally provocative. To that extent, my reaction looks excessive, though as an instinctual outsider who despairs of the capacity of the institution to develop the resolve sufficient to change, and is directly hurt by its current position, I am sympathetic with the author.

I do think that serious thought has to be given to one thing which thus far has received no attention at all. Prince George is not a private individual whose name has been thrust into the spotlight on a whim. He’s a member of the royal family, and as the child of the heir to the throne, has had, and will continue to have for as long as our culture remains the same, every aspect of his young life subjected to obsessive speculation and excessive interest and scrutiny. This particular instance is, at worst, a small and probably insignificant contribution to this tide of prurient and unwelcome interest. This tide will continue, whatever one may think of it, and with or without this particular intervention.

As such, I see this particular point as, if anything, a speculation on the evolution of two institutions: the royal family and the Church of England. In that context , it is worth remembering that members of the royal family have acted as proxies for all sorts of feelings, prejudices and causes for as long as there has been any kind of media, and will continue to be used in this way. The personal is already political, and will continue to be, when it comes to the Royal Family, because of the institutional connections between royalty, church and government. As such, I find myself mostly baffled by the eagerness of people with whom I otherwise agree to do the dirty work of someone like Gavin Ashenden, whose cause of stiffening the resolve of the Church of England to move from its present position of frozen agony in the direction of entrenched bigotry is being served by the dissection of this particular intervention. This is the cause of my anger, such as it is.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

Wow. You think that objecting to this is doing the dirty work of people who don’t want the church to change?

No. What it is is saying that the ends don’t justify all means.

I don’t like my sports teams to win through unfair play, either.

--------------------

churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it make a difference had he not used Prince George by name, but said "some future sovereign/heir to the throne" or something like that?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Putting aside Prince George, praying for a gay royal will not do much for gay rights in the Church. The Royal Family does not lead societal changes, it follows them.

When Edward VIII attempted to marry Wallis Simpson, that did not lead to a change in the CofE's divorce laws in favor of more liberalization. No, it ended up with Edward abdicating the throne.

And with the brou-ha-ha over Harry and Meghan Markle, interracial marriage has been a reality in some households for many, many years now.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican_Brat:
And with the brou-ha-ha over Harry and Meghan Markle, interracial marriage has been a reality in some households for many, many years now.

This thread is absolutely lost. Let's pray that Prince George will be black how be?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

I stand charged as the OP, but on a lighter note, I should add that I spent years praying (alas, in vain) that Prince Harry was gay, but for entirely different reasons. [Snigger]
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would not pray for any child to have a particular sexual orientation - too close to praying for a change in their existing orientation. for my liking.

As to praying that he be transgender. Surely gender dysphoria is hard enough for anyone not to wish that on him - then you have all the matters of public attention to which Stonespring's last post refers.

Otherwise, largely what Orfeo says.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
John3000
Apprentice
# 18786

- Posted      Profile for John3000   Email John3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Would it make a difference had he not used Prince George by name, but said "some future sovereign/heir to the throne" or something like that?

Yes it would have made a big difference. I think that's exactly what he should have done.
Posts: 29 | From: England | Registered: May 2017  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by John3000:
quote:

Yes it would have made a big difference. I think that's exactly what he should have done.
It is exactly the same thing with the same attendant problems. Suggests that sexuality is changeable by prayer and that changing attitudes requires a miracle instead of simply adopting common sense.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
It is exactly the same thing with the same attendant problems. Suggests that sexuality is changeable by prayer and that changing attitudes requires a miracle instead of simply adopting common sense.

This strikes me as a little naïve. The homophobes are not going to adopt common sense on this issue because (a) they don't see it as common sense, and (b) they think their principles are more important than mere common sense. The antihomophobes can use all the common sense they want, but it won't change the minds of the others. What often breaks through the shell of fear and hate is having a family member or close friend come out. I can see someone thinking that if only one of the royals came out, it might change some hearts and minds.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

If you can turn water into wine and dead people into living people, turning straight people into gay people or vice versa shouldn't pose too many technical challenges [Biased]

OTOH, getting people to exhibit common sense really would be miraculous.

Also, what mousethief said.

[ 03. December 2017, 22:22: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok. let's pray that God will turn Kelvin straight then
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

quote:
Originally posted by John3000:
quote:

Yup.

BTW, welcome to the Ship, John3000. [Smile]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

Have you read the thread? All of it? Nobody has suggested that praying to turn a person gay is a good idea.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
Originally posted by ExclamationMark:

Have you read the thread? All of it? Nobody has suggested that praying to turn a person gay is a good idea.
Thanks - I know. My attempt at playfulness didn't work - sorry everyone
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Provost has made a follow-up statement on his blog.
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

Hmm. He says that he wrote it nearly 2 years ago.

But wasn't it he that re-blogged it very recently? Complaining about how it got all this attention despite being so old is a tad disingenuous if that's the case, which I'm fairly sure it was when I read the blog earlier.

--------------------

ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by kingsfold:

Hmm. He says that he wrote it nearly 2 years ago.

But wasn't it he that re-blogged it very recently? Complaining about how it got all this attention despite being so old is a tad disingenuous if that's the case, which I'm fairly sure it was when I read the blog earlier.

That's true. Methinks he protesteth to much - bearing in mind it was him that brought the boy into the frame in the first place. It may have originally been two years ago but he reran it recently.

Kelvin does rather pick and chose his responses to criticism doesn't he? Going silent (as opposed to talking to the press which he admits he rather likes), seems to be his response to when he's deep in the do-do (as with the Islamic stuff in the Cathedral).

he's really not coming across very well is he?

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

He comes across a heck of a lot better than the people attacking him. And I wouldn't want to be talking to the press when they're in full attack mode and I'm the target. The point about it being two years old is that it didn't arouse any great furore at the time, or when it was reblogged in January so why should it now when he mentions it in a passing tweet? Seems to me that the outrage machine was looking for a royal-themed target and the tweet caught its attention. And the usual con-evo suspects who hate Fr Kelvin for being both gay and an excellent priest of a growing and diverse congregation leapt on it like cats on a mouse.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose this clergyman hopes that if Prince George turns out to be gay and proud the CofE will be obliged to conduct the eventual princely SSM. Of course, this assumes that the CofE will have the same ceremonial role in 2040-ish as it has now.

But IMO the real problem will arise if this gay Prince George wants to have children. Would it really be acceptable to have an heir to the throne born from an anonymous egg donor plus womb? Even if the (very posh) mother were known and welcomed, she couldn't be the children's legal parent, because that would make them illegitimate, and so ineligible to rule.

An interesting situation. Perhaps the Danish or Dutch royal families could pull it off. (I also have the Ottoman Sultanate in mind, but that's hardly relevant.) But the British RF? It'd have to become loads more monegasque. Regardless, I think it'd be one more step on the road to becoming a republic. (Whether that's good or bad is another matter.)

[ 09. December 2017, 14:21: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I stand charged as the OP, but on a lighter note, I should add that I spent years praying (alas, in vain) that Prince Harry was gay, but for entirely different reasons. [Snigger]

Stonespring's confessor can best deal with his singular prayer life, but I wonder if I cause mischief by asking around my contacts what would happen if Canada (or Oz, as is now the case) would advise consent under the Royal Marriages Act for such a union, while the UK could not. I suppose a King could have a Prince Consort for Canada and Australia, but only a bit on the side at Balmoral. Given that Piers Gaveston, believed to be the partner of Edward II, was made Earl of Cornwall, and the informal-spouse-for-some-years Camilla is now known as the Duchess of Cornwall, perhaps the spouse could be made Duke of Cornwall, Ontario, so as not to confuse peerage lawyers.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there something about Cornwall which I should know? Should I be changing my vacation plans? Penzance, here I come?

[ 09. December 2017, 17:42: Message edited by: Pangolin Guerre ]

Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

quote:
Originally posted by Augustine the Aleut:
quote:

Stonespring's confessor can best deal with his singular prayer life, but I wonder if I cause mischief by asking around my contacts what would happen if Canada (or Oz, as is now the case) would advise consent under the Royal Marriages Act for such a union, while the UK could not. I suppose a King could have a Prince Consort for Canada and Australia, but only a bit on the side at Balmoral. Given that Piers Gaveston, believed to be the partner of Edward II, was made Earl of Cornwall, and the informal-spouse-for-some-years Camilla is now known as the Duchess of Cornwall, perhaps the spouse could be made Duke of Cornwall, Ontario, so as not to confuse peerage lawyers.
Getting advised consent from the UK would probably be easier than getting it from Jamaica, Belize, and some other of the Commonwealth Realms that retain the monarchy.
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All else being equal, some Commmonwealth countries would probably choose to become republics. Jamaica is seriously considering doing so anyway.
Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016