homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Dead Horses   » Pray for Prince George to be Gay? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Pray for Prince George to be Gay?
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
All else being equal, some Commmonwealth countries would probably choose to become republics. Jamaica is seriously considering doing so anyway.

And has been since the first term in office of Michael Manley (1972-1980)..... it has been 40 years since his 1977 announcement proposing the republic. Every prime minister since then has supported a republican constitution. When trying to set appointments in Jamaica I recall hearing the phrase "soon come."
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah. When it comes to modern values like punctuality and SSM Jamaicans don't always get with the programme....

So much could change between now and Prince George's majority. The strong Protestant religiosity of the Anglophone Caribbean could enter significant decline. Also, the British monarchy, the CofE and the Commonwealth could themselves be in serious decline and even obsolescent by this point.

Public attitudes towards these institutions are unlikely to improve, IMO, and I don't think Prince George being a gay man who has a SSM would greatly change the direction of things. Indeed, perhaps it would work the other way round; all this decline might make such a marriage contemplable.

[ 12. December 2017, 12:00: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Punctuality and republics are not modern, but products of the enlightenment, so while I would blame Jamaican culture for much (have you seen the state of driving??), these are not issues where I would ascribe blame to them for not being on the programme of our age. Having once owned rights to a property there which provided me with brief winter periods of sun and jerk chicken for 15 years, I have a passing acquaintance with the island. The widespread homophobia which exists (with slurs and jokes reminiscent of Canada in the 1960s) may or may not be deeply entrenched--my Jamaican friends differ on this.

The survival of the Elizabethan monarchy there and in other places is due to many things, but primarily from distaste of the alternatives. When and if Prince George gets to be of inheriting age sometime in half a century, he may have well decided to let the throne go to Charlotte, or have become a reclusive confirmed bachelor out of spite for the press and discussion boards.

SvitlanaV2
Shipmate
# 16967

- Posted      Profile for SvitlanaV2   Email SvitlanaV2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rather than 'modern' I was going to say 'Western', but one could object to that as well. In any case, Jamaica's been a deeply creolised culture for centuries, so one could argue that it's been post-modern for longer than many places in Europe.

I have relatives in Jamaica, and have visited many times. I don't know about homophobia there in terms of personal attitudes, but was referring to the country's laws.

As for the royal family, I think it would be very embarrassing for them if towards the end of the century a gay Prince George chose to leave the line of succession. Doing so would be an implicit condemnation of homophobia in the Commonwealth, which would be resented in those countries, but it would also reveal the royal family to be a deeply frightened, retiring institution, which would be unattractive to many British people.

I doubt that homophobia in the Western media would be an issue. Not after 50-odd years of SSM. There'd be a vocal minority of conservative religious people, but by that point I think they'd have lost any residual attachment to the royal family anyway. Social problems, racial diversity and a reduced standard of living in Britain are all going make the wealthy royals and their personal problems less and less significant.

[ 12. December 2017, 15:24: Message edited by: SvitlanaV2 ]

Posts: 6668 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2012  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

quote:
Originally posted by SvitlanaV2:
Rather than 'modern' I was going to say 'Western', but one could object to that as well. In any case, Jamaica's been a deeply creolised culture for centuries, so one could argue that it's been post-modern for longer than many places in Europe.

I have relatives in Jamaica, and have visited many times. I don't know about homophobia there in terms of personal attitudes, but was referring to the country's laws.

Perhaps it is po-mo!

I had was not sure where the laws were, but do recall being struck by the almost-viciously-anti-gay humour, which Jamaican audiences quite enjoyed, leaving the Canadians and US folk silent. Over several years, I heard a number of jokes and slurs-- some of my younger friends made it clear that they disassociated themselves from these sentiments, but others appeared supportive.

Who knows where the Windsors will be then? They may have decamped to Australia by then, preferring to rule from Canberra than from Buckingham Palace!

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016