Thread: Are you a Geek? Board: Oblivion / Ship of Fools.

To visit this thread, use this URL:
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=70;t=025627

Posted by ElaineC (# 12244) on :

Try this Calculator to see how much of a geek you really are.

I'm Tech Rich.

Posted by leo (# 1458) on :

It says that i am a Quality Seeker and that "look to trusted sources of information to provide reassurance before a big purchase and go for well-established brands "

I am likely to be: "older and affluent...being connected is not a priority and a late adopter"

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

Another Quality Seeker here - well, I am older and I think Quality Seeker is a fair enough title.

Posted by Caissa (# 16710) on :

Quality Seeker, as well

Posted by BroJames (# 9636) on :

Quality Seeker here too. Clearly disproportionately present on the Ship, else it's hard to explain what's actually in the shops.

Posted by ken (# 2460) on :

It thinks I am "Tech Rich" whatever that means.

They have howerver redefined "geek" to mean exactly the opposite of "geek" as used in the many version sof the original online geek test (I get just over 50% on that one)

Posted by LeRoc (# 3216) on :

quote:
ken: They have howerver redefined "geek" to mean exactly the opposite of "geek" as used in the many version sof the original online geek test (I get just over 50% on that one)
I can program a computer in 7 or 8 languages, but no question about that. Since when did 'geek' get the meaning 'someone who's into electronic gadgets because of their style'?

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

Tech rich on th OP link and 38% on ken's.
ISTM, the OP link is far too simplistic and, as ken mentioned, isn't truly a geek test.

Posted by goperryrevs (# 13504) on :

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
]the original online geek test]

That is awesome. You have to be a geek to even care about filling the whole thing in. I scored 37%, a little disappointed...

Posted by Ariston (# 10894) on :

I score as a poor person who doesn't do much with tech. Which is weird, but I think part of it is that that particular test focuses so much on TV, which I wouldn't think most geeks really would.

34.68635% on the real test, just two answers shy of Major Geekdom. I am proud of myself.

[ 04. July 2013, 17:24: Message edited by: Ariston ]

Posted by ArachnidinElmet (# 17346) on :

quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
I score as a poor person who doesn't do much with tech.

Another 'Quality Seeker' here, otherwise known as someone who won't spend hundreds of £ on a shiny paperweight.

I did score 40.77491% on Ken's Geek test though. The fact that I'm quite proud of that probably speaks for itself [Hot and Hormonal] [Help]

Posted by Smudgie (# 2716) on :

A quality seeker with geekish tendencies. 14.57565%
That's about right.

The boy?
Total geek and social addict. Could have told you that [Big Grin]

Posted by TomOfTarsus (# 3053) on :

20.4797% on Ken's, which, while dates, is quite a piece of pencil-necked geekiness!

Quality seeker on the one in the OP... I'm old.

Posted by Chorister (# 473) on :

I'm a Quality Seeker - John Lewis's dream customer, apparently. I must admit I do rather like that shop, but as the nearest one is 50 miles away don't go there very often.

Posted by birdie (# 2173) on :

Again, apparently I'm John Lewis's dream customer, which must be galling for them as I've never stepped inside a John Lewis, as far as I can remember.

Posted by basso (# 4228) on :

There was no selection there for "had to enable JavaScript in my browser to take the test".

BTW, I'm a Price Pragmatist. Maybe it's because I don't have a TV?

Posted by Welease Woderwick (# 10424) on :

In the Geek test I score 8.85609% and they call me a Poser!

Nah, I'm just old and disinterested.

Posted by Sir Kevin (# 3492) on :

quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
Again, apparently I'm John Lewis's dream customer, which must be galling for them as I've never stepped inside a John Lewis, as far as I can remember.

Me neither!

Quality Seeker here. I try to avoid cheap stuff, but I don't care if my car can talk to my phone as long as I can talk to my car. That said, my phone is switched off 100% of the time when I am driving: if someone needs me, it is never an emergency and they can leave word on my land-line. We did buy an iMac we could barely afford because it is the best and we've never looked back.

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

Quality seeker, per the OP test

8.85609% on the other, which surprised me by being so high. I trained as a librarian when that profession was on the cutting edge of IT. In the day I knew FORTRAN IV, COBOL, IBM 360/70 Assembler. I could do on-line PDP DEC System 10 on a TTY, and punch cards with the best of them.

Shrugs Who gives a shit now?

quote:
Welease Woderwick: In the Geek test I score 8.85609% and they call me a Poser!
quote:
PeteC: 8.85609% on the other, which surprised me by being so high.
Did you do the test together?

Posted by PeteC (# 10422) on :

No, but you must remember that he is my evil twin. [Two face]

Posted by PataLeBon (# 5452) on :

I'm a TV worshiper on the first and I'm 31.73432% (Total Geek) on the other.

I'm not sure how those two go together....

quote:
PeteC: No, but you must remember that he is my evil twin. [Two face]
I've been looking at your pictures in the Gallery, and well, the evil twin is usually the one with the beard...

Posted by Horseman Bree (# 5290) on :

TV worshipper, me, but I never turn the thing on, so how does that work?

Posted by lilBuddha (# 14333) on :

quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
PeteC: No, but you must remember that he is my evil twin. [Two face]
I've been looking at your pictures in the Gallery, and well, the evil twin is usually the one with the beard...
Hint: PeteC did not say he was the good twin.

© Ship of Fools 2016