homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Gambit Meet, 1st Feb, London (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Gambit Meet, 1st Feb, London
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It has become a tradition to meet earlyish in the new year in memory of our friend and fellow sailor on these here waters, Gambit. Sadly no longer with us.

All Shippies (& their mates) are warmly welcomed to join whether or not you knew Gambit. It's what he would have wanted.

Am proposing Sat 1st Feb. Hopefully in the the Jugged Hare (if it's not closed this year!)

Any takers. (Date can be moved if most people can't make 1st but I can't do any Sats in Jan)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking the same thing myself only today. I'm definitely up for it.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Likewise. Figbash may come with me.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think its so nice of you to remember Gambit with a meet.

Each one of you who remember are an [Angel]

I think of Molly and Erin every day. I know they are in a better place, but I sure would like to hear their voices again. I think you are the same with Gambit. All of you are very special.

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Assume I & Macarius are in, but I need to check my diary.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yep, we're in.

M.

ElaineC
Shipmate
# 12244

- Posted      Profile for ElaineC   Email ElaineC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mr C and I are both up for it.

--------------------
Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean or sarcastic thing. John Erskine

Posts: 464 | From: Orpington, Kent, UK | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be during the day or the evening? I could come up for the day, but would struggle if it's too late.

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Evening usually ie around 7ish to start and suspect most people would want to do that. However if you propose a late afternoon / early evening start-time that suits I'm sure you'll find some takers. I did that one year after I messed up and had arranged to go to theatre.

--------------------

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I don't have people coming to me on Tuesday, I will try to come - would be nice to meet you again!

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
If I don't have people coming to me on Tuesday, I will try to come - would be nice to meet you again!

Tuesday? 1st Feb is a Saturday!

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're hoping to come, the only possible spanner is a friend's birthday (significant) at that time.
Posts: 1304 | From: East of England | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an evening do that night in London, so if there is interest in late afternoon start I'll be there

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't checked the calendar, but will do my best to be there.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll try to be there. Got as far as half way down the road to the station last time....

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Any more takers?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wasn't going to come in for this ~ spend all week travelling around London, get to the weekend and don't want to see another tube train for a couple of days, but I have tickets to something I want to see in the evening (Susan Calman) so would be up for an afternoon meet if it's happening.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would be lovely to catch up with you, Curiosity!

I vote "yes" for an afternoon start.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Are we talking about two separate meets here? If so, perhaps we should have two separate threads.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or maybe it could be one long meet with different venues through the day, and people joining or leaving at different points? There's plenty of precedent for such things.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Rosamundi has messaged to say she'll be there.

--------------------

Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

- Posted      Profile for Maddie   Author's homepage   Email Maddie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to confirm we will be there.
Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll try, but I'll be late, even later than Ken!
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can be there late afternoon... it's been too long.
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Afternoon meet - there's another thread at Spike's suggestion - I need to be at Oxford Circus around 5pm, but before then would be great.

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

- Posted      Profile for starbelly   Author's homepage   Email starbelly   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually I will come at 7pm with everyone else!
Posts: 6009 | From: High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moth

Shipmate
# 2589

- Posted      Profile for Moth     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ShadoK and I may be available. Will confirm soon.

--------------------
"There are governments that burn books, and then there are those that sell the libraries and shut the universities to anyone who can't pay for a key." Laurie Penny.

Posts: 3446 | From: England | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a fitting end to dry January. [Biased] Will see about a night pass!

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Posts: 12701 | From: Someplace strange | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

See that you do!

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

- Posted      Profile for Tubbs   Author's homepage   Email Tubbs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
See that you do!

Night pass organised.

Tubbs

--------------------
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it up and remove all doubt" - Dennis Thatcher. My blog. Decide for yourself which I am

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll be there tomorrow evening. Anything happening in the afternoon?

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

Not sure if anything is happening in the afternoon - I'm going to be in and around, but off to make sure I get into the BBC around 5pm.

--------------------

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

See you all at at 7pm at the pub!
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

Hurrah.

Finally got round to calling and yes, they are open tonight (so no unexpected discovery of a closed door this year.)

I also reserved space upstairs from 7pm under the name The Ship!

Jugged Hare, Victoria

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

We'll probably be with you around 7.30-8ish

--------------------

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm coming this evening, about 7pm as usual the time. Will be be upstairs in it or along the back? I'll just look out for you all.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

It is indeed open - I'm there now watching the rugby [Smile]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorrry we won't be there (again!). Have a great time everyone.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thinking of you all tonight and wishing we could be with you!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
It is indeed open - I'm there now watching the rugby [Smile]

Hope the meet goes better than the rugby.

(edit: Rugby stuff moved to rugby thread. I'm sure anyone interested can find it).

[ 01. February 2014, 20:12: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

It was really nice there - all people really nice, good, people to chat with. I enjoyed it this evening.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And good to see you too.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

Yes, good to see everyone, even if we left a bit early.

M.

starbelly
but you can call me Neil
# 25

Great evening, good to catch up!
Tubbs

Miss Congeniality
# 440

Well that was fun and I have a hangover!!! Gambit would be chuffed.

Thank you all for a lovely evening.

Tubbs

--------------------

Maddie
Ship's cartographer
# 11

I had to have a lie down at 1pm! Must be getting old.
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
Originally posted by Maddie:
I had to have a lie down at 1pm! Must be getting old.

Bloody lightweight! [Razz]

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

Yes, a very good meet. It's always a pleasure to see you all again [Big Grin] .

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Deputy Verger
Shipmate
# 15876

- Posted      Profile for Deputy Verger   Email Deputy Verger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to miss it. I knew I would be late, but in the event it would have been closing time, and I thought those who hadn't left by then wouldn't actually notice (or remember) whether I popped in or not. Glad it was a good 'un.
Posts: 475 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016