homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » How do you lick your eggs? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: How do you lick your eggs?
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So soon * 'll be taking off for a holiday-type-event in Florida. * was there twice, once when * was younger with my parents and another with my school's old band, so * never did have to do much talking.

Last time * was there, * went for breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and they asked me how * liked my eggs - stupid as * was, * told the girl * liked them "fried" and she, and the whole counter laughed at me.

So what is some things * 've got to keep in mind? * know they don't drink proper tea down there and they don't understand what a ground floor is. Can anyone help me? * 'm literally going to write these things down in my cheque book to remember.

[ 18. September 2014, 08:30: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry -- even my (American, born and bred) mother has a funny story about the first time someone asked how she liked her eggs, just since they didn't eat out much when she was a kid!

I'd add that "iced tea" will almost always mean sweat tea. If you want it unsweetened, ask specifically if they have unsweetened iced tea.

Posts: 424 | From: USA | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone says they'll give you a ride, it doesn't mean they're propositioning you, it just means they're offering you a lift.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bostonman:

I'd add that "iced tea" will almost always mean sweat tea.

Must be what they mean by a cold sweat.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't know about Florida, but "iced tea" comes unsweetened in a huge area of the country by default. I'm drinking some now. To be safe, just specify "sweet" or "unsweetened" wherever you are, and you won't have to deal with regional weirdnesses.

"I'm not from around here. Could you explain what you mean a bit more?" should get you a lot of help.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Floridian reporting in.

Shame on whomever. We do know what a fried egg is, but I suspect your leg was being pulled. You might want to ask, instead, for over light (runny yolk, barely set white), over medium (more done), well done. There is also a spoon egg, where the hot grease (of whatever provenance) is spooned over the egg until the desired degree of doneness. Of course, there are the other alternatives; scrambled, poached, hard boiled, etc.

To get good tea, made properly, just come to my house. Otherwise a lot of restaurants around here will ask if you want your iced tea sweet or un.

The restroom is not for resting, it's the loo.
North Florida has more of what folks think of as southerners. South Florida will have more transplants from the north. Accents will vary.

We talk louder than y'all. Don't be alarmed!

Any particular questions you might have, just ask!

[Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have nothing useful to suggest but I hope you will enjoy your time here in Florida!! [Smile]

(I'm in Clearwater which is part of Tampa Bay on the west side of the peninsula.)

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
There is also a spoon egg, where the hot grease (of whatever provenance) is spooned over the egg until the desired degree of doneness.

I've heard that called basted egg.

And there's sunny side up (fried on one side only, not flipped over).

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had an American to visit, had to do a full English breakfast, of course, and asked how he liked his egg, and he said "over easy" which he did not get as I had never done it and didn't want to risk trying for the first time on that occasion!
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only spent 5 days in Miami once, and for so far as I can tell there were no cultural misunderstandings.

The fun thing is that in those 5 days I haven't spoken a word of English.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cameron PM:
...I went for breakfast at the hotel's restaurant and they asked me how I liked my eggs - stupid as I was, I told the girl I liked them "fried" and she, and the whole counter laughed at me.

We like our fried eggs 'over medium'. I don't cook them - I just eat them: my wife does the frying. Most of the time we have cheddar cheese omelettes as she cooked for us this morning...

The computer doesn't know how to spell omelette, but I do!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem I've had is that "over easy" and "over medium" mean different things to different cooks. I've ordered eggs "over easy" and got snot encased in a tissue-thin layer of solid white. And I've ordered them "over medium" and gotten white shoe rubber encasing completely solid yolks. And in both cases was told "that's what over easy/medium [delete as needed] means."

If you must have a fried egg, tell the waiter exactly how done you want the white and the yolk, respectively. Then whatever they call it at that restaurant, you stand a fairly decent chance of getting what you want.

As for me, I've stopped ordering fried eggs when eating out.

[ 01. September 2014, 22:40: Message edited by: mousethief ]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any breakfast place I've ever been to will do over easy, sunny side up, over firm, scrambled, poached, or in an omelette, but almost never shirred. When I'm in doubt, I go for scrambled.

Tea in Canadian restaurants usually means teabag. Iced tea means vaguely tea flavoured sugar water. Safest way to get it iced in my experience is to ask for tea and for a glass of ice. Tea always means hot, unless you say 'iced' or commonly "ice". A confusing thing at times in the USA where you have to specify 'hot' sometimes. You make your own tea and pour over the ice. I do this very rarely. I don't recall anywhere in Europe having iced tea.

My experience in American restaurants for breakfast is eggs will come with enough food to feed more than one: toast, bacon, sausages, potatoes, sometimes pancakes.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

- Posted      Profile for Bostonman   Email Bostonman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
Any breakfast place I've ever been to will do over easy, sunny side up, over firm, scrambled, poached, or in an omelette, but almost never shirred.

I've never even heard of a shirred egg! I almost wondered if it were a misspelling (sweat tea indeed!) but have looked it up and it appears to be some sort of bizarre baked thing. Can someone confirm?
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
If you must have a fried egg, tell the waiter exactly how done you want the white and the yolk, respectively. Then whatever they call it at that restaurant, you stand a fairly decent chance of getting what you want.

That's what I do. "Yolks runny, whites cooked," is what I say. Sometimes they ask, "Oh, over medium?" or the like, and I just say, "I don't know, just yolks runny and whites cooked." [Smile] And if they aren't like that, I send it back as politely as possible.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The last time I recall us having this discussion, I was one of those complaining about how hard it is to get eggs fried medium.

We exposed yet another pond difference. Ken said something like "What on earth is up with you people? These are fried eggs we're talking about!" Other British types agreed with him.

I suppose he had a point, but I do like mine medium (-ish). And I still miss you, Ken.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem is that English--and perhaps Canadian--cooks have never figured out how to turn a fried egg (also,they fry them in oil instead of butter or bacon fat). Mousethief is correct--if you are fussy, define your terms. My version of over easy is to cook them on one side until the white is just barely opaque, then turn them and cook the other side for about 30 seconds.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Never mind getting fried eggs done right (and yes, some British cooks do cook them in butter) can't anyone do scrambled eggs right? Too often they are overcooked to a disgusting degree. Omelette ditto.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Preferably outside the chicken and before they become green
Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You'd probably hate mine Sioni. I have an abhorrence of liquid egg white and will "overcook" to avoid any danger of it.

I can turn fried eggs over. Doing so without breaking the yolks is the difficult bit.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
...can't anyone do scrambled eggs right? Too often they are overcooked to a disgusting degree.

I never order scrambled eggs in a restaurant for that reason. My favorite restaurant serves eggs the way I like them when I order 'over easy'.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first time we went to Florida we were totally bewildered by the choice of ways they cook eggs! The waitress was very patient in describing all the choices.

Turns out my favourite kind is called 'over easy' - which means fried with solid white and runny yolk, turned briefly to make sure there are no snotty white bits.

Can't bear snotty eggs!

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've never even heard of a shirred egg! I almost wondered if it were a misspelling (sweat tea indeed!) but have looked it up and it appears to be some sort of bizarre baked thing. Can someone confirm?

Nothing bizarre at all. It is sort of like a quiche, but hold the garbage. If done right, the texture is to die for along with a hint of butter. Like an angel dancing on my tongue.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
..."Yolks runny, whites cooked," ...

This is over easy. So you can eat the white with a fork, and dip your toast or potatoes in the yolk!

And, please, no ketchup! [Projectile]

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I prefer, "over easy," myself but, really, none of us should be ordering them now that salmonella is so prevalent in our America eggs. Order our sausage and pancakes with maple syrup instead! Tell them to bring extra butter.

My American father got laughed at in an American restaurant for ordering a "four minute egg." He meant soft boiled but no one here does that anymore.

Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why "over easy"? That's how I like them too, but what does it actually mean? When I am home and am faced with the traditional Scottish cardiac breakfast, they are always "sunny side up", but you never hear that phrase there. Or do you?

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Cameron PM
Shipmate
# 18142

- Posted      Profile for Cameron PM   Author's homepage   Email Cameron PM   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
Why "over easy"? That's how I like them too, but what does it actually mean? When I am home and am faced with the traditional Scottish cardiac breakfast, they are always "sunny side up", but you never hear that phrase there. Or do you?

The only reason I know about sunny-side up is because of this thread, but that's usually how I have my eggs anyways. Last time I was there, I was made fun of a lot - I was younger, so easier to victimise I guess.

--------------------
Your call.

Posts: 59 | From: Talamh an Eisc | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
1) Fried in a little butter until the white is done and the yolk not quite. Not turned over. Served with either bacon, sausage, mushrooms, tomatoes and toast, or ham and chips, depending on what time of day it is and where you are. Ham, egg and chips when properly done may be simple but can be very satisfying.

2) Hardboiled and sliced in a ham and egg sandwich, though a good egg sandwich by itself can be a pleasure, seasoned with a bit of salt and pepper and with two slices of freshly baked bread, and the butter melting a bit from the still warm sliced egg.

[ 02. September 2014, 19:39: Message edited by: Ariel ]

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like my egg fried (one side) together with cheese and oregano.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
... and a good omelette is wonderful.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Breakfast eggs makes me think of a hotel in Zurich which offered a boil-your-own facility. It was quite a delicate calculation to get the egg at the exact point of set white/runny yolk, depending as it did how many other people were dumping eggs into the communal saucepan.

The other place I used to commission a boiled egg was a rather upscale wine estate/hotel in the Western Cape. The breakfast chef, who was more accustomed to doing fried, scrambled or omelettes, would nevertheless rustle up a satisfactory boiled egg - except they had no eggcups, and I'd be given it in a ramekin.

[ 02. September 2014, 19:57: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Breakfast eggs makes me think of a hotel in Zurich which offered a boil-your-own facility. It was quite a delicate calculation to get the egg at the exact point of set white/runny yolk, depending as it did how many other people were dumping eggs into the communal saucepan.

We had that at college. You also had to label your own egg so you'd know it again. It usually resulted in a small group of people standing round the cauldron, watch in one hand, spoon in the other, jostling each other as they tried to read the by-now semi-legible lettering on the eggshells and scoop the relevant one out just in time.
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know what "sunny-side up" means, and have since childhood, so in these parts at least it's part of the dialect.

quote:
Originally posted by sharkshooter:
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
..."Yolks runny, whites cooked," ...

This is over easy.
Or over medium, depending upon the restaurant. Really. This is why you must specify what you want. It is pointless to give a directive they may or may not understand the way you do, then when your eggs come back snotty to say, "Well that's not what MOST REAL AMERICANS mean by 'over easy' so what's wrong with YOU people?" Much easier to just say "I want the yolks runny and the whites firm." I learned this the hard way. Or rather, runny-slimy way.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I learned this the hard way. Or rather, runny-slimy way.

I as well.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
Order our sausage and pancakes with maple syrup instead! Tell them to bring extra butter.

Outside of New England and upstate New York, real maple syrup is very rare in restaurants. They give you some yucky "pancake syrup" even when it says "maple syrup" on the menu. Real butter is sometimes hard to find as well.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Boiled. Left out of the fridge overnight, then put gently into boiling water and simmered for 4 minutes and ten seconds - for a large egg as defined in England. Result - runny yolk (suitable for dipping 'soldiers' and firm white).

Until recently, only enjoyed on holiday as eggs were, apparently 'bad for you'! It was claimed they raised cholesterol or something. Now we're told they are actually very good for us - I wish they would make up their minds!!

Fried eggs are OK (especially with ham or bacon) done with firm white and runny yolk but not turned. I don't know why anyone should find this difficult to achieve!

What is difficult is a good omelette - fortunately Mrs TonyK is excellent at these so we enjoy an omelette two or three times a month.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Egg breakfasts are a specialty on most restaurants where I live. When I ask for over easy, that's what I get,with home fries and meat or sliced tomatoes.

At home, I make a two-egg omelet. Sometimes with home fries with a vegetable like spinach on the side. Never toast.

In England I quite enjoy grilled tomatoes.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tend to avoid the Full English in the US. It's just not right, so I will go for pancakes or omelettes and what have you, or porridge (but you have to ask for oatmeal).

I tend to wait till I get back home for proper fried eggs, good quality bacon and sausages to die for (usually all from Chatsworth Farm Shop), along with good bread (I loathe toast with breakfast. Toast FOR breakfast is fine).

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fried eggs should be not so much fried as poached in butter.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by deano:
I tend to avoid the Full English in the US. It's just not right, so I will go for pancakes or omelettes and what have you, or porridge (but you have to ask for oatmeal).

I tend to wait till I get back home for proper fried eggs, good quality bacon and sausages to die for (usually all from Chatsworth Farm Shop), along with good bread (I loathe toast with breakfast. Toast FOR breakfast is fine).

The man speaks the truth especially re: toast. Fried bread or fried potatoes are OK but not toast and definitely not chips.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bostonman
Shipmate
# 17108

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by deano:

The man speaks the truth especially re: toast. Fried bread or fried potatoes are OK but not toast and definitely not chips.
Fried bread is one that I'd never encountered until I spent a summer in England. Just seemed like extremely buttered toast to me.

My ideal is about a six-minute egg (yolks custardy, neither runny nor solid) on top of buttered toast and Vermont extra sharp cheddar cheese with some nice summer tomato and a bit of salt and pepper.

Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Fried bread is one that I'd never encountered until I spent a summer in England. Just seemed like extremely buttered toast to me.

Buttered toast? Why would you fry bread in oil or butter when you have perfectly good bacon fat available?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Only all my life. That was my preffered fried egg when i was a little girl.

I have had pretty good luck around here with over- medium orders.

When I was in England I ordered a full English and discovered I actually like beans on toast. Neutral on toast, generally hate baked beans, but the two together? Yum!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why "over easy"? That's how I like them too, but what does it actually mean?

Did anyone actually answer this? "Over" because the egg gets turned over, and "easy" because you go easy on cooking the second side -- cook it just enough to make sure the white is not snotty (per Boogie's perfect description).

quote:
My ideal is about a six-minute egg (yolks custardy, neither runny nor solid) on top of buttered toast and Vermont extra sharp cheddar cheese with some nice summer tomato and a bit of salt and pepper.

That's going to be my breakfast in the morning -- I'll pick the tomato while the eggs are cooking.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I don't understand is that there are presumably people who do want their eggs snotty, or no-one'd ever do them that way. Are they the same people who are responsible for the half-cooked anaemic bacon with floppy rubbery fat on it that infests canteens and supermarket cafés?

--------------------

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eggs are of the devil and you are all going to hell in an egg-basket.

They are acceptable in cakes, meringues and batter based products.

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Eggs are of the devil and you are all going to hell in an egg-basket.

They are acceptable in cakes, meringues and batter based products.

I expected better Pyx. Shouldn't there be a "and people who like them are worse than Hitler" in there?

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pete forgot to mention that there is at least one person in India who cooks good scrambled egg - not dried out but moist and succulent and full of herbs and garlic and fresh black pepper - fab on Rye toast, even if I do say it myself.

Baked beans [UK style] on toast benefit from a scattering of grated sharp cheese on top and flashing under the grill so it melts a bit. The beans also need a little butter or Brown Sauce adding.

[When I saw the thread title I thought it was referring back to the old condom advert: "How do you like your eggs in the morning? Fertilised or unfertilised?]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like my fried eggs sunny side up, runny yolk and cooked white, and crispy and lacy on the bottom. I like my scrambled eggs really soft and creamy though, and I prefer my (back only please, and smoked if possible) bacon to not be crispy except for a little crisping of the fat. Fried bread is a lovely treat, I haven't had it in years though. White toast and real butter otherwise, and hash browns. I do prefer good-quality sausages to bacon generally though, especially Italian-style ones with fennel seed.

Wetherspoons breakfasts are shockingly good.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fried bread varies a lot. Some eateries seem to deep fry it (along with the mushrooms). I personally find deep frying a non-breakfasty process. I use the bread to soak up the pan juices, so not just fried in the fat, but also holding the tomato juice. Depending on the tomatoes, and the fat quantity, it may not be crisp.

Eateries also vary in the contents of the full English. I do not go for tinned tomatoes, which seem to be the favoured form, or tinned mushrooms, and prefer to omit the beans. If offered black pudding, I will go for that. Proper bubble and squeak (mash and cabbage, like fried colcannon, except on Boxing Day, when other left overs may be added. But not peas. Eatery b&s varies and may be best avoided), or left over mash, or sliced up potatoes are things I use. Many places now use frozen hash browns for the potato bit - I'm not sure how authentic these are.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016