homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Denominational Representation (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Denominational Representation
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

- Posted      Profile for croinua   Email croinua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi.
I was wondering what sort of denominations people aligned themselves to on this website. From what I can tell, most people seem to represent a Liberal Anglican faith but I'm sure there are other denominations represented.

Posts: 12 | From: Ireland | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done a head count but I know how I 'feel' when reading posts from illiberals. There is a smattering of conservative RCs, most of whom are converts and claim to know the faith better than those born into it.

There are many open or post-evangelicals.

Anglo-catholics are less in evidence than they used to be - maybe there's another website where they can mourn the loss of maniples.

I think liberal Anglicans are a minority - they are the few whom i know by name and get support from when i get flak.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Arch Anglo Catholic
Shipmate
# 15181

- Posted      Profile for Arch Anglo Catholic         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm an Anglo Catholic - you might have guessed from the user name. I'm as spiky as you like.
Posts: 144 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

- Posted      Profile for croinua   Email croinua   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Plenty of conservative RCs where I'm from who would seriously argue that the lack of a maniple would invalidate the mass.
I was hoping this forum wouldn't go in for any of that.

cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm ordained PCUSA (Presbyterian) but serve and feel at home in a small evangelical denon. (So I guess leo can "feel" my ill-liberal posts...?)

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
I've never done a head count but I know how I 'feel' when reading posts from illiberals. There is a smattering of conservative RCs, most of whom are converts and claim to know the faith better than those born into it.

Converts usually take the time to learn their faith. Many who are "born into it" are ignorant of their faith.

As for the OP, I'm Orthodox. Converted from traditionalist RC.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
I'm ordained PCUSA (Presbyterian) but serve and feel at home in a small evangelical denon. (So I guess leo can "feel" my ill-liberal posts...?)

No - yours vaguely make me question my assumptions - which is good - rather than annoy me

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:

No - yours vaguely make me question my assumptions - which is good - rather than annoy me
That's what we're all here for, yes? [Axe murder]

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to be a devotee of Tezcatlipoca, but I had a shattering mystical vision, and thereupon, as you can see, switched to Quetzalcoatl, who has rewarded me abundantly.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

Little confused with that post there. They seem to be Aztec Gods and I thought this was a Christian website.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it? Fuck. You see, I had a vision of the great Toltec ruler, Ce Acatl Topiltzin, and he seemed to be murmuring something like 'ship of fools', so naturally enough, I took this as an indication. I have been traduced!

--------------------

croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

Very good. [Roll Eyes]
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

uh... welcome to the Ship, croinua. Let all who enter, throw assumptions out the window. bwahahaha!

[Snigger]

--------------------

quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by croinua:
Very good. [Roll Eyes]

Apologies. I'm an Anglican with leanings towards Quetzalcoatl.

--------------------

Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello croinua.

Welcome to the ship. I leave it to others to put me in a box if that's their bag. I see myself as a Christian without denomination, although I do fully participate in the life and ministry of a church.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't worry, croinua; it's not necessary to be Christian to contribute to the forums (which is a good job for the liberal Anglicans, come to think of it...). Some of our shipmates are agnostic or even (shock horror!) atheists! I couldn't comment on how seriously Quetzalcoatl worships Aztec gods....

Personally I'm pretty much 'Anabaptist', though not greatly bothered about denominational labelling; in absence of specifically traditional Anabaptist churches in Manchester I actually attend a local Baptist Church.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

That's a nice approach.
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I thought this was a Christian website.
Wow. Somebody actually used, with purported seriousness, the Ship's favorite comedic catch-phrase.

At this rate, I'm half-expecting someone on the street to open a conversation with "Take my wife. Please!"

--------------------
I have the power...Lucifer is lord!

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Apologies. I'm an Anglican with leanings towards Quetzalcoatl.
You're also very funny!

Hi croinua, another Anglican here, quite catholic but quite liberal too with a very eclectic approach to theology.

I'm also half Irish [Yipee]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by croinua:
Hi.
I was wondering what sort of denominations people aligned themselves to on this website. From what I can tell, most people seem to represent a Liberal Anglican faith but I'm sure there are other denominations represented.

Hi croinua - welcome to the ship, where at least one member of every grouping believes they are in the minority and are got at [Devil]
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably more Daoist than anything else.

I was baptised Anglican, but stopped going to Church at about 7yo when it all seemed rather dreary and pointless - sticking silly stamps in an album for no apparent reason, sitting in a dusty dark oak panelled and light-bereft room listening to something that didn't seem to have much meaning.

I now practice Bruno Groening's teaching - which is non-denominational - and that (plus a little exposure to Swedenborg) interestingly has got me more interested in Christianity.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Salvationist.

I guess that means I'm in a little box all by myself

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What denomination claims me as a member or what denomination do I feel most aligned with? [Smile]

Anyway, it changes every decade more or less as my spirituality evolves (or devolves, or whatever).

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lutheran Church--Missouri Synod. Pretty much on my own on the Ship.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I'm an Anglican with leanings towards Quetzalcoatl.

But you are quetzalcoatl ... aren't you?

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
Some of our shipmates are agnostic or even (shock horror!) atheists!

I'm one or other but not the "shock horror" sort, more vague and confused. I don't believe in the existence of Richard Dawkins.

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Posts: 794 | From: here or there | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Born and raised Methodist but my membership lapsed a long time ago. During my student days I went to whatever evangelical church was popular - so Anglican, Baptist and "house church" charismatic in turn. Stuck with the later for about a decade. Then stopped going to church for a slightly longer time.

For the past year I've been regularly attending a Baptist church but I don't consider myself a Baptist - I'm not a member. Mostly because it's only on a good day I even consider myself a Christian.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Starbug
Shipmate
# 15917

- Posted      Profile for Starbug   Email Starbug   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I'm a Salvationist.

I guess that means I'm in a little box all by myself

You get the Mercy Seat all to yourself, Mudfrog! [Smile]

I'm a Methodist, with some very slight leanings towards Buddhism since I started using Mindfulness meditation.

[ 17. October 2014, 17:47: Message edited by: Starbug ]

--------------------
“Oh the pointing again. They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?” ― The Day of the Doctor

Posts: 1189 | From: West of the New Forest | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Continuing Anglican, US variety.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is this thread in Purgatory instead of Heaven?

(said the United Methodist)

Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Don't worry, croinua; it's not necessary to be Christian to contribute to the forums (which is a good job for the liberal Anglicans, come to think of it...).

Steve, can I politely request that you apologise for casting aspersions on the faith of other Christians.

For myself I'm a Wee Piskie now I live this side of the border. Whether I am considered liberal or not is a matter of perspective. I imagine Peter Akinola would consider me very liberal and John Shelby Spong would consider me deeply conservative.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quaker

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quaker

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm exploring that point on the Host Board, HCH.

Welcome croinua! I hope you enjoy the Ship and I assure you that Hosts don't just exist for the purpose of moving threads around! There is a value in reading the headings to each of the Boards to see which is the right one to start off a discussion.

This is a diverse place and not just open to self-declared Christians. We have a fair number of atheists and agnostics, and some representatives of other faiths. Disagreement is pretty normal around here, particularly between Christians (!) in accordance with our general ethos of unrest.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally Conservative Evangelical C of E (Prayer Book Mattins and all that....), now licensed as a Reader in an Anglo-Catholic parish, and wondering how the wossname I got here......with secret leanings towards liberalism and the Cathar 'heresy'........

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came to know the Lord as a kid in the Brethren (open)

and since then have been enriched on my journey via Anglican Catholicism, Zen, Society of Friends and MCC.

I have also been a mass attender since my teens (on and off), and am being received into the RCC in 37 days time.

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
fullgospel
Shipmate
# 18233

- Posted      Profile for fullgospel   Author's homepage   Email fullgospel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome aboard croinua.

I am new here myself.

[Angel]

--------------------
on the one hand - self doubt
on the other, the universe that looks through your eyes - your eyes

Posts: 364 | From: Rubovia | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't exactly know what is meant by some of these terms. Starting with "liberal Anglican" and "continuing Anglican". Baptist I get, they are the ones who have mini-swimming pools in their churches and I even understand a little bit of their point. Anabaptists? Not sure.

Myself, I was raised in the United Church of Canada, which as far as I know was formed by combing most of the Methodists and Presbyterians and virtually all of the Congregationalists into the second largest denomination in Canada. But I opted for the Anglican church in my mid-teens (in the actual order of importance) because I liked a girl who was Anglican, and I thought CS was a smart guy, and the liturgy and music were more interesting. I think this puts me on the opposite end of the group of folks who've had a deeply meaningful conversion experience, there was nothing much deep about me as a callow kid. Were I to give testimony, I'd have to begin "you see there was this girl...."

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I consider myself non-denominational but open-evo. I've been at my current church for 10 years and I'm still not a member [Smile]
I was an atheist until I was 25, spend 5 years at a large con-evo Anglican in London, 1 year middle of the road Baptist (temporary stop gap), 3 years trad Anglican village parish (left due to awful and very public conflict) and 10 years at our current New Frontiers church.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

- Posted      Profile for que sais-je   Email que sais-je   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
Disagreement is pretty normal around here, particularly between Christians (!) in accordance with our general ethos of unrest.

To throw in a purgatorial red herring, it often seems to me that we get on better, and make more allowances, for people who are very different from us and quarrel more with those who are closer. Is this so, and if so why?

--------------------
"controversies, disputes, and argumentations, both in philosophy and in divinity, if they meet with discreet and peaceable natures, do not infringe the laws of charity" (Thomas Browne)

Sarasa
Shipmate
# 12271

- Posted      Profile for Sarasa   Email Sarasa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Catholic (Roman variety) with a very strong streak of Quaker thrown in.

--------------------
'I guess things didn't go so well tonight, but I'm trying. Lord, I'm trying.' Charlie (Harvey Keitel) in Mean Streets.

Posts: 2035 | From: London | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
I don't exactly know what is meant by some of these terms. Starting with "liberal Anglican" and "continuing Anglican". Baptist I get, they are the ones who have mini-swimming pools in their churches and I even understand a little bit of their point. Anabaptists? Not sure.

Anabaptists = literally re-Baptisers. They have their origins in the folks who thought that not only were adult Baptisms better they were the only valid ones - so they baptised all their converts, even those who had already been baptised.

Continuing Anglicans are those who consider themselves to be Anglicans but have had a falling out with the Anglican Communion in general or with one or other particular church of it, usually but not necessarily over the ordination of women.

Liberal Anglican is a bit tough to pin down, as it can mean someone who is theologically orthodox but thinks that gay people and women can and should be ordained, or it can mean an atheist who likes the way Cranmer wrote. Or indeed anything between or beyond that.

Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Photo Geek
Shipmate
# 9757

- Posted      Profile for Photo Geek   Email Photo Geek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm an Episcopalian aka "liberal Anglican".

--------------------
"Liberal Christian" is not an oxymoron.

Posts: 242 | From: Southern Ohio, US | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
by que sais-je;
quote:
quote:
Some of our shipmates are agnostic or even (shock horror!) atheists!

I wasn't suggesting 'shock horror' in the atheists personally - it was just a slightly exaggerated way of making the point that the ship is not entirely Christian!

by arethosemyfeet;
quote:
Steve, can I politely request that you apologise for casting aspersions on the faith of other Christians.
Yes, not one of my better moments (though light-hearted in intent - I sometimes misjudge such attempts); I apologise - though in a forum discussion I'd have some serious questions about the implications of both the liberality and the Anglicanism.

Also by arethosemyfeet;
quote:
Anabaptists = literally re-Baptisers. They have their origins in the folks who thought that not only were adult Baptisms better they were the only valid ones - so they baptised all their converts, even those who had already been baptised.
That is the reason for the name 'Anabaptist' - that in the eyes of the mainstream churches of the Reformation era, who practiced infant baptism, the believer's baptisms of the Mennonites and others were seen as 'REbaptisms'. Like 'Methodist' it is originally a name given by the group's opponents, and would be applied to for example English Baptists like Bunyan.

The term has been adopted since to distinguish between the UK/US 'Baptists' and the slightly different tradition (including Mennonites/Amish/Hutterites and others) that grew up on the Continent. In that usage, Anabaptism involves some wider issues of separation of Church and State and of pacifism, not just the baptism issue. In the present, many Christians not in the traditional Anabaptist groups are exploring and using Anabaptist ideas.

Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
seekingsister
Shipmate
# 17707

- Posted      Profile for seekingsister   Email seekingsister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm CofE charismatic evangelical.
Posts: 1371 | From: London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
croinua
Apprentice
# 18252

quote:
Originally posted by fullgospel:
I came to know the Lord as a kid in the Brethren (open)

and since then have been enriched on my journey via Anglican Catholicism, Zen, Society of Friends and MCC.

I have also been a mass attender since my teens (on and off), and am being received into the RCC in 37 days time.

Very good. I'll pray for you.
I probably should also say that I'm a Catholic although theologically, I'm quite liberal.

bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Anglican allegiances have altered over the years. I began as a middle of the road Anglican, became an evangelical, returned to middle of the road and over the past 15 years or so have joined an Anglo-Catholic parish. I'm inclined to think that many of us change during our journey through life and that what suits at one stage doesn't fulfil needs at a later time in life.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
que sais-je
Shipmate
# 17185

quote:
I wasn't suggesting 'shock horror' in the atheists personally - it was just a slightly exaggerated way of making the point that the ship is not entirely Christian!

No apology needed - I deliberately misinterpreted what you said - a part of me would like to shock or horrify someone just once in my life. But I've singularly failed so far. I'm even polite to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

--------------------

tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The old joke goes that a southerner was asked what kind of music he liked. He replied, "Both kinds." In that spirit, you could say that the Ship has both kinds of religion represented...

--Tom Clune, Methodist

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
sonata3
Shipmate
# 13653

- Posted      Profile for sonata3   Author's homepage   Email sonata3   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lutheran - ELCA, with an interest in Anglican/Lutheran dialogue. But my lovely bride is Roman Catholic, so I follow developments in that denomination with interest.

--------------------
"I prefer neurotic people; I like to hear rumblings beneath the surface." Stephen Sondheim

Posts: 386 | From: Between two big lakes | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Humanist (atheistic variety) attend the local university chapel to keep the chaplains honest (they have two Episcopalian priests [one originally CoE] and a Conservative rabbi) though considering whether to switch to the local Unitarian Universalist church.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016