homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Denominational Representation (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Denominational Representation
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jemima the 9th:
Having been dragged around various churches - CofE, methodist & Elim pentecostal - as a kid, my parents were having a non-church phase when I pitched up at the local CofE looking for boys......

Given the usual imbalance between the sexes in your standard CofE church, going to one to look for boys strikes me as the height of optimism! [Razz]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by croinua:
I thought this was a Christian website.

Hence this mug, whose acronym is precisely what you've just said. [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ChastMastr:
quote:
Originally posted by croinua:
I thought this was a Christian website.

Hence this mug, whose acronym is precisely what you've just said. [Smile]
And fired at 800 degrees C, no less. [Ultra confused]

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually describe myself as an Anglo-Catholic Episcopalian with a dash of Shinto.

By this I mean:

(1) Anglo-Catholic: Not in the "number of candles on the altar is critical" sense at all, but in the "sacramental theology" sense. I'm happy with a folk mass, I'm happy with bells and smells, but I want Communion please. The theology expressed in the liturgy is also very important to me--I can't describe the Trinity as "Creator, Redeemer, Sanctifier," because modalism.

(2) Episcopalian: Well, duh. The Episcopal Church in the US, formerly ECUSA (which sounds like some sort of mythological Greek creature) and now TEC.

(2a) Re Hot Button Issue #1 in the Episcopal/Anglican Church: As for female priests, it took me a long time to accept their validity, but now (since 2003) I have been convinced of it.

(2b) Re Hot Button Issue #2 in the Episcopal/Anglican Church: As for gay issues, I'm an odd one on that (I don't believe that, as a Christian, I am permitted to have genitally penetrative sex outside of male-female marriage, so I don't, and my partner knew this coming into our relationship--we'll have been together 12 years this coming May--and as well, I'm open to things which might startle some people, or at least "frighten the horses" (important note: No actual horses are ever involved in such things; one must always be clear, just in case [Eek!] ...); indeed, my (sadly deceased in 1999) master also accepted my limits, God bless him and rest his soul (earthly master, that is--Jesus was and is and ever shall be my Heavenly/Deep Master)), but honestly if the Episcopal Church is officially OK with things like Spong's theology, then I think the sexual matters are far lower on the scale of Things To Wrestle With Fretfully. Quite frankly, some of the clergy I've known whose faith and theology have been most helpful and orthodox have themselves been gay (and without the limits I myself believe in), and I would (and have) far sooner go to them for spiritual counsel than, well, the Spong end of the spectrum.

(3) With a dash of Shinto: I suppose I could say "with an approach to paranormal/odd/rum metaphysical things that tries to emulate St. Francis' approach to nature" but that might be even more confusing.

Alternately, I could describe myself as being like a combination of stuff by C.S. Lewis, Charles Williams, some George MacDonald and G.K. Chesterton, with the aforementioned dash of Shinto, all wrapped up in leather (I could say "with a dash of Jack Rinella" but I haven't really read him so I can't say what I believe in his work).

So, um, hi! [Smile]

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

Oh, forgot to mention my background: Biologically/ethnically down my mother's side I'm Jewish by blood, but I wasn't raised in any religion at all--my mother almost converted to Roman Catholicism as a girl, but became a Theosophist. Bio father was Baptist/Church of Christ. I discovered Christianity mainly via Narnia as a child, via Dante's Divine Comedy at 13 (itself via this issue of X-Men, yes really, and Nightcrawler's joyful Christian faith despite being regarded as a freak and monster by the world--much different than in the movies, by the way-- here, for example), and then entered the Roman Catholic Church in high school, asked too many questions the CCD instructor couldn't answer, got set up with a very nice nun as a tutor who helped me find the other Lewis books I was looking for, was baptized Roman Catholic as an adult (in high school, but making an informed decision), and later wound up in the Episcopal Church. Given matters such as both the "Spong end of the spectrum" and my concerns (in the past, not now) over the ordination of women, I wrestled with leaving the Episcopal Church, but--after looking at the alternatives--decided that its heart was in the right place even if the theology held by some clergy was incorrect, and that its Apostolic Succession was still intact, so I was confirmed there years later.

Good Lord, I'm long-winded... carry on...

--------------------

ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

(PPS: Yes. I really did get into Dante at 13. I read a lot...)

--------------------

Jemima the 9th
Shipmate
# 15106

- Posted      Profile for Jemima the 9th     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
Having been dragged around various churches - CofE, methodist & Elim pentecostal - as a kid, my parents were having a non-church phase when I pitched up at the local CofE looking for boys......

Given the usual imbalance between the sexes in your standard CofE church, going to one to look for boys strikes me as the height of optimism! [Razz]
[Big Grin] Weelll, my parents were strict and I was fairly desperate! We were actually fairly evenly m/f split in the church youth group of the time. And yet I still managed to fall for the philandering bastard. [Disappointed]
Posts: 801 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You are Chastmastr aware that George MacDonald was a Congregational minister who was too liberal for his congregation!

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie jon:
You are Chastmastr aware that George MacDonald was a Congregational minister who was too liberal for his congregation!

Oh yes, and a universalist too (which, while I wish I could be, I am not).

--------------------

Tukai
Shipmate
# 12960

- Posted      Profile for Tukai   Email Tukai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Galloping Granny:

'marriage can (biblically) be celebrated between a man and a woman'
GG

GG: I'm glad to hear it, and I suspect so is the Grandad. Otherwise my lovely wife and I, like you, have been "living in sin" for the past 40 years.

But perhaps your reference was really intended to distance yourself from those who believe that marriage can be biblically celebrated ONLY between a man and a woman !

--------------------
A government that panders to the worst instincts of its people degrades the whole country for years to come.

Posts: 594 | From: Oz | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anesti
Apprentice
# 18259

- Posted      Profile for Anesti   Email Anesti   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am a Roman Catholic but I did not receive my confirmation until I was 30.

My father is RCC but my mother is Free Church of Scotland and I attended a CoE church as a child.

Living in Italy as I do, it is lovely to be able to attend Church in some of the most beautiful churches in the World. When I am back in the UK, however, I do like to visit typically English (often Anglican) churches that I find myself missing.

I have a soft spot for the Passionists and I go on retreats for short times at their monastery.

I also love the Orthodox sacred music and I have a growing interest in their form of worship.

While I have utmost respect for all denominations, if I am honest I have to admit to a preference: In the terms off the Secret Worshipper dichotomy I would say that I prefer "stiff" to "happy".

[ 27. October 2014, 11:13: Message edited by: Anesti ]

Posts: 19 | From: Verona | Registered: Oct 2014  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Raised in a totally secular (UK) home - dad is a very lapsed Catholic who identifies as humanist but prays to St Anthony when he loses things. Mum is generally non-religious. I became a Christian in my late teens (am 25 now) somewhat surprisingly though street evangelism - it never fails to suprise me that this worked on me of all people! Parents disapproved of church attendance so it wasn't until I moved to East Sussex and was living alone that I could go to church, and started at a conservative evangelical Anglican church. Was baptised at 18 there. Since then have gone up and up the candle and not sure where I am now - there are certainly many people here who are more high-church than me, and I can't let go entirely of evangelicalism since I value many things it's given me. Modern Catholic/evangelical Catholic would seem to be a good fit, though not so easy to find in the CoE. My feelings on the ordination of women and other Dead Horses, alas, prevent me from going to Rome. I think if I was in the US I would be very comfortable in the Lutheran church (ELCA).

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another Baptist, very liberal - actually I like to think I'm completely liberal.

These days I'm a hospital chaplain and my ministry is offering a sort of generic spirituality - and I quite like it.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What a wonderful variety of personal perspectives on faith — seriously! And, even more so, a place where this variegation and variety communicates, even vigorously (to keep up the alliteration) [Big Grin]
I grew up in a very ‘Via Media’ Anglicanism in the Church in Wales — ‘High’ Mattins every other Sunday at 11 o’clock.
Something obviously went wrong [Roll Eyes] and I felt felt drawn to being a priest. Tried lots of things to avoid that too, [Eek!] and failed.
Now retired from parochial ministry, I feel somewhat freer from the constraints of Church of England bureaucracy — but not a lot freer, as I always tried to be open and understanding.
Have some duties at the local parish, which is nice, and different, as it is a slightly different liturgical setting to where I was.
But there are a variety of people, and the Vicar lets me do my own thing, to a great extent.
I have been mistaken for charismatic, which I would never see myself as, certainly erring to the more Catholic in liturgy, but with a fascination for the text of the Bible and other scriptures.

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”
G’Kar, ‘Meditations on the Abyss’

Posts: 31 | From: Kernow | Registered: Sep 2014  |  IP: Logged
Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

- Posted      Profile for Motylos   Email Motylos   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, and Don’t let the picture fool you — I am definitely male — I just liked the image.
[Two face]

--------------------
“Too often we assume that the light on the wall is god, but the light is not the goal of the search, it is the result of the search.”

Motylos
Apprentice
# 18216

quote:
I'm another Baptist, very liberal - actually I like to think I'm completely liberal.

These days I'm a hospital chaplain and my ministry is offering a sort of generic spirituality - and I quite like it.

I enjoyed being a hospital chaplain, full-time for a number of years, and part-time for a few more — even getting to become an honorary ambulance service chaplain.

We also moved from Northampton nearly a year ago!

--------------------

Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bred and born in liberal Methodism, with ministers, missionaries and local (lay) preachers in the gene pool. Encountered sacramental Methodism under Donald Soper and others as a student. I value hugely my Methodist formation through preaching, Arminianism and Wesley hymns.

Then was confirmed Anglican in a thunderstorm on moving to an area where the Methodists were either Pentecostal or very elderly. Shaped by the East End (of London) Anglo-Catholic tradition, interleaved with Quakerism - again hugely influential. Time spent later in a MOTR small town church in Middle England, and now in a affirming inclusive Anglican urban parish.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Were I to give testimony, I'd have to begin "you see there was this girl...."

[Big Grin] Mine would begin "I wanted to meet some boys......."

quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Were I to give testimony, I'd have to begin "you see there was this girl...."

And mine would begin "My friend asked me if I would like to meet some girls. When I said yes, he invited me to a youth group. He didn't mention Christianity once."

I perhaps should complete my story. We have been together some 3½ decades. There still is this girl....

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016