homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Fuck You, Pastor, for bringing the gospel into disrepute (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Fuck You, Pastor, for bringing the gospel into disrepute
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What the fuck is wrong with people?

(Short version for people who can't click after every meal: reader board in front of church says "WAKE UP CHRISTIANS / ALLAH IS NOT OUR GOD / MOHAMMED IS NOT GREATER THAN JESUS" on one side, and a similar message about the Bible and the Quran on the other side.

The pastor is so self-righteously "not politically correct." And the comments on Farcebark crow about how the "leftists" (they use this term almost like a longshoreman uses "fuck" to flavor every single sentence they say) are Muslim-loving Jesus-haters etc. yada.

I say this kind of thing brings the Gospel of Jesus Christ into disrepute. It turns people off God. It makes a mockery of Christ's message of love.

Dear Pastor Jerk: God's name is blasphemed among the nations because of you.

(And that's not even getting into the pig-ignorance of it. It's like saying "Christians worship GOD not DIOS.")

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From the article:

"Harrington says he harbors no hate towards Muslims or Islam, only that he's trying to educate others about his religion."

If this idiot had any sort of education, he'd know that "Allah" is simply the Arabic name for "God" and that Arabic Christians worship Allah.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harrowing, the man.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose 'Mohammad not greater than Jesus' just sounded snappier than 'Christians affirm that Jesus was, is and ever shall be God, three-in-one with the Holy Spirit, and so all comparisons to humans (prophets or otherwise) are off'.

Maybe he ran out of 'e's before he got to the end.

Anyway, isn't Welsh meant to be the language of heaven?

[ 16. May 2016, 09:08: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only if you like an abundance of consonants.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, if you run out of 'e' and other vowels ...

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Good point, Mr Llwellyn, good point.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rumor has it that Welsh and Hawai'ian were once one language. When they split, Welsh got custody of the consonants, and Hawai'ian the vowels.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is an 'e' in 'Llewellyn'.

Come on, the Welsh have just as many (if not more) vowels than anyone else.

It's just that they denote them differently.

I mean, 'w' is mostly used as a vowel sound in Welsh.

Mind you, as to when a 'y' sounds like a 'u' and when it sounds like a 'y' and so on - and all the mutations with consonants that follow vowel sounds ... now you're talking complicated.

But then, I en no Welsh-speaker, I dah oarnly talk tidy, Wenglish like.

But I know how it should be said and sound.

As for the pastor in the OP ...

Cachau bant.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know, I do think it is possible to over-react about these things. Muslims have rather a habit of declaring that their faith is better than everyone else's.*

But then the Sikhs sometimes like to tell the world about why their faith is best, as did various historic churches (thinking of doom paintings). I'm sure there are many other examples from other religions.

It is a marketplace of religion, why is anyone surprised when they try to rubbish each other?

Personally, I'm much more comfortable with a religious group who resorts to putting up a sign saying why another religion is wrong rather than one which gets into the business of burning other religious books or provoking other forms of inter-religious strife.

*remembering, for example, that the Dome of the Rock mosque in Jerusalem has text on it which seems to be directed at Christians "So believe in God and His messengers, and say not 'Three' - Cease! (it is) better for you! - God is only One God. Far be it removed from His transcendent majesty that He should have a son. His is all that is in the heavens and all that is in the earth." etc

[ 16. May 2016, 12:52: Message edited by: mr cheesy ]

--------------------
arse

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Anyway, isn't Welsh meant to be the language of heaven?

No. God's native tongue is Hebrew, with Latin as his second language.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
No. God's native tongue is Hebrew, with Latin as his second language.

I'm pretty sure Jesus' first language was Aramaic, that he lived in a culture which used Latin and Greek and whose Dad spoke Temple Hebrew.

Of course, as we all know, by the 17 century, God had gone back to school and learned English.

These days I think he prefers to be addressed in Klingon.

--------------------
arse

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
It is a marketplace of religion, why is anyone surprised when they try to rubbish each other?

Who said anything about surprise? No, I'm not surprised. I'm disgusted. I can't speak for Muslims, but Christians are meant to love even their enemies, not denigrate them and belittle them. And if you think this sign is merely meant to be a theological announcement that Christians don't accept Muhammad as a prophet, then I have a bridge to sell you.

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Who said anything about surprise? No, I'm not surprised. I'm disgusted. I can't speak for Muslims, but Christians are meant to love even their enemies, not denigrate them and belittle them. And if you think this sign is merely meant to be a theological announcement that Christians don't accept Muhammad as a prophet, then I have a bridge to sell you.

Oh I also think it is the antithesis of the gospel. I just don't have time to get angry about things like that.

When I contacted the local mosque to ask if I could buy a Koran to replace one that a previous idiot pastor had burned, it was fairly clear that they didn't much give a shit either.

--------------------
arse

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

This kind of thing exacerbates hatred and adds to an atmosphere that gives rise ultimately to hate crimes.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
These days I think he prefers to be addressed in Klingon.

Per "Star Trek: The Next Generation", the Klingon Adam and Eve killed their creator, on something like a "We don't need no stinkin' God!" basis.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And in the febrile atmosphere that is the USA at the moment, with Trump demagogue-ing about, dumb-ass pastors posting dumb-ass signs isn't going to help matters.

I'm not sure I'd advocate a law against this sort of thing - at least not in that kind of context - but it ain't going to help.

There are plenty of ways of saying, 'Look, we are Christians, this is what we believe ...' without bad-mouthing anyone else.

Mind you, as Mousethief well knows, look at any Orthodox / RC / Protestant 'dialogue' on some social media sites and all you'll get is, 'No, you're wrong ... we're right ...' to which the other side will reply, 'No, it's us who're right and you that are wrong ...' and round and round and round and round ad infinitum ...

Not that there's anything wrong with that in and of itself, but it does get wearing when all it becomes is a rehashing of cliches and often false perceptions that each has of the other ...

--------------------

mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Is Don King still around?

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This kind of thing exacerbates hatred and adds to an atmosphere that gives rise ultimately to hate crimes.

This.

It reminds me of folks who claim they don't "hate" homosexuals but tacitly add to a hateful environment for LGBT people.

Besides what does he expect Arabic speaking Christians to call God? "God"? "Deus"? "Dieu"?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Lyda*Rose: Besides what does he expect Arabic speaking Christians to call God?
Duh, *real* Christians speak English.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a neighbour who was an Arabic speaking Christian, but she went crazy if you said that she was an Arab. Well, I thought that 'Arab' meant Arabic-speaking, but according to her, Arabs are all Muslim, and handy with a gun. But she did call God Allah.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
Lyda*Rose: Besides what does he expect Arabic speaking Christians to call God?
Duh, *real* Christians speak English.
Or Russian. Or, at a pinch, Greek.

Never Latin. Never, never Latin. Or German. Or [shudder] Dutch....

[Razz]

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But yesterday's reading from Acts (which I had the joy of reading at our main service) says that they were:
quote:
Parthians, Medes, Elamites, and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabs...
[Razz]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I don't know, I do think it is possible to over-react about these things. Muslims have rather a habit of declaring that their faith is better than everyone else's.*

But then the Sikhs sometimes like to tell the world about why their faith is best, as did various historic churches (thinking of doom paintings). I'm sure there are many other examples from other religions.

For me, this is a reason why we Christians shouldn't be doing this. Yes, the Muslims and Sikhs will claim that their faith is the best, but we shouldn't get into a slanging match.

The thing that really annoys me about this is that we should be seekers after truth. Wherever this truth is found. The essence of these messages I would actually agree with the basis of the message (that the Muslim God is not the Christian God, that the Quran is a book), but this is not the defining aspect of my faith, this is not what I want to proclaim.

Incidentally, Islam is a way of seeing and understanding God that can help us - Seekers of Truth - to understand our interpretation. The Quran is a book, not written or dictated by God. The Bible is also a book, written by people about their search for God.

I think the Bible and the Christian interpretation of God is primary. But that doesn't mean that I need to disparage others.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by quetzalcoatl:
I had a neighbour who was an Arabic speaking Christian, but she went crazy if you said that she was an Arab. Well, I thought that 'Arab' meant Arabic-speaking, but according to her, Arabs are all Muslim, and handy with a gun. But she did call God Allah.

I thought Arab was a native of the Arabian Peninsula.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not every pastor who has a marquee sign out front for his pithy thoughts is an idiot. But every idiotic pastor has a marquee sign out front for his pithy thoughts.

We often pass one on our way to the next town, and no matter how hard we try we cannot read the whole thing as we pass while going the speed limit. Nevertheless, I make my husband risk our lives by slowing down because the message is invariably hilariously inane, illogical or pointless. Yesterday it said, "If you ever have to wrestle with God, pray that you lose."

Dave W.
Shipmate
# 8765

- Posted      Profile for Dave W.   Email Dave W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
quote:

I thought Arab was a native of the Arabian Peninsula.
Apparently it's complicated.
Posts: 2059 | From: the hub of the solar system | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:

That's interesting. I know a fair number of Arab Christians. They refer to themselves as Arab Christians, when not referring to themselves as Palestinians.

Pastors like this pustule had best not come to our church at Pascha, or they will hear "Lord have Mercy" in Arabic, as well as "Christ is risen / indeed he is risen" in Arabic, and the Paschal Troparion in Arabic (the latter: "Christ is risen from the dead trampling down death by death and upon those in the tombs bestowing life" but I can't sing it in Arabic without the music in front of me).

The Paschal Troparian, from a flash mob at a shopping mall in Beirut, in Arabic and Greek.

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That was beautiful. I will store the address.

However, the second time I played it, it went on to another Arabic Christian hymn, and my computer seized up and buzzed fiercely at me, so I had to do an emergency stop and start everything up again. I don't know if this was because of the site, or something else yet.

[ 18. May 2016, 11:54: Message edited by: Penny S ]

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You probably triggered some CIA alert (too many Arabic sites) and they're busy uploading some software agents to find out what your links to terrorist organisations are.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that's beautiful. I could almost re-convert.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pastors like this pustule had best not come to our church at Pascha, or they will hear "Lord have Mercy" in Arabic, as well as "Christ is risen / indeed he is risen" in Arabic, and the Paschal Troparion in Arabic . . . .

Somehow, I suspect that the chances of pastors like this one setting foot in an Orthodox church—at Pascha or any other time—are exceedingly low. So there's at least one thing to be grateful for.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
You probably triggered some CIA alert (too many Arabic sites) and they're busy uploading some software agents to find out what your links to terrorist organisations are.

!!!

I've just replayed - I had been reminded of the doleful "evangelism" the Exclusive Brethren had tried hereabouts, and thought how the good news should be.

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Meanwhile we've got one here proving that being a man of the cloth doesn't stop you being a despicable little turd: shit of a vicar

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
irish_lord99
Shipmate
# 16250

- Posted      Profile for irish_lord99     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pastors like this pustule had best not come to our church at Pascha, or they will hear "Lord have Mercy" in Arabic, as well as "Christ is risen / indeed he is risen" in Arabic,

Hehe... we got them to do that in Turkish in our Greek Orthodox Church here... it's a bit like Gandalf speaking the Dark language of Mordor in Rivendale: the walls shake, the sky grows dark, and a look of concern adorns every face. [Devil]

--------------------
"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." - Mark Twain

Posts: 1169 | From: Maine, US | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by irish_lord99:
quote:
Pastors like this pustule had best not come to our church at Pascha, or they will hear "Lord have Mercy" in Arabic, as well as "Christ is risen / indeed he is risen" in Arabic,

Hehe... we got them to do that in Turkish in our Greek Orthodox Church here... it's a bit like Gandalf speaking the Dark language of Mordor in Rivendale: the walls shake, the sky grows dark, and a look of concern adorns every face. [Devil]
[Killing me]

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

What's with these oh so obviously unspontaneous flash-mobs in shopping mall things?

There are evangelical versions, Orthodox versions ... everybody seems to be staging them ... and staging is the operative word ...

Sure, the music's cool but it's no more spontaneous than changing the guard at Buckingham Palace.

Enough of this stage-managed false spontaneity already.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
What's with these oh so obviously unspontaneous flash-mobs in shopping mall things?

There are evangelical versions, Orthodox versions ... everybody seems to be staging them ... and staging is the operative word ...

Sure, the music's cool but it's no more spontaneous than changing the guard at Buckingham Palace.

Enough of this stage-managed false spontaneity already.

What makes you think they're meant to be spontaneous? And what makes spontaneity such a god in your eyes? Nobody in their right mind thinks they're spontaneous, particularly when they make use of the shopping mall's tannoy. Hence nobody in their right mind thinks they're meant to come across as spontaneous.

"Oh yes, I just happened to be walking down the square with my cello and saw a bunch of people playing "Ode to Joy" and thought I'd join in." No. Nobody expects that's what's going on.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cool thing is that an unexpected (to those who witness it) performance pops up in a mundane moment and place. Musical theater comes to the streets/malls/metro stations. The world becomes a lower key version of Bollywood.

I like it. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Meanwhile we've got one here proving that being a man of the cloth doesn't stop you being a despicable little turd: shit of a vicar

Oh good, one of my brother clerics in the Church in Wales. Glad he's in another diocese, my chances of meeting him and explaining my view of his views are much reduced... [Mad]

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

"Oh yes, I just happened to be walking down the square with my cello and saw a bunch of people playing "Ode to Joy" and thought I'd join in." No. Nobody expects that's what's going on.

But wouldn't it be fun to live in a world like that?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
The cool thing is that an unexpected (to those who witness it) performance pops up in a mundane moment and place. Musical theater comes to the streets/malls/metro stations. The world becomes a lower key version of Bollywood.

I like it. [Smile]

Exactly. I'd love to have one happen where I am.

--------------------

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

It's the way these things are filmed and edited, MT, to make it look like they are spontaneous when they aren't.

I'm not saying spontaneity is a big deal. I just don't like faux-spontaneity.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

If I didn't like you I'd say you were an idiot. Let's just say you're speaking foolishly.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Flash mobs are a performance. And, like any performance, to be done well requires rehearsal. Therefore, they are not "spontaneous". But, done well they appear spontaneous.

It's no different from theatre. When the actor playing Hamlet starts to question "To be, or not to be ..." if he's good then we are able to suspend our actual knowledge that he's said this a thousand times, and feel like he really is Hamlet, that he really is contemplating death and suicide and these really are the new-formed thoughts he has. But, I guess Hamlet is also "faux-spontaneity".

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

AIUI, they're not necessarily rehearsed as a group. Someone may put out a notice that there'll be a dance flash mob, include a video of how to do the dance, and tell the time and place. Then people who see the notice and want to participate just practice on their own, and show up.

And sometimes it's a matter of "show up here, wearing this".

[ 27. May 2016, 03:15: Message edited by: Golden Key ]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

I didn't say rehearsal needed to be as a group. I doubt the lead in Hamlet only ever rehearses with the rest of the cast. But, if you're going to claim they are examples "faux spontaneity" then you need to be fair and say the same of Hamlet.

--------------------

mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing that does look spontaneous in that video is some members of the public or staff who recognize the setting joining in. You can tell they aren't "performing" in the same way that those who were planned to be there are. And the looks of delight and/or amazement on some faces are obviously spontaneous.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

Yeah, ok ... perhaps it's some of the more evangelical versions I've seen of this sort of thing that puts me off.

Besides, whilst I appreciate that they'll have shopping malls in Lebanon, Jordan, Syria (apart from where they've been bombed) and so on, it doesn't look right ... out ro be a souk or a bazaar ...

Ok, I'm teasing but I hate f'kin' shopping malls.

--------------------

deano
princess
# 12063

- Posted      Profile for deano   Email deano   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What the fuck is wrong with people?

(Short version for people who can't click after every meal: reader board in front of church says "WAKE UP CHRISTIANS / ALLAH IS NOT OUR GOD / MOHAMMED IS NOT GREATER THAN JESUS" on one side, and a similar message about the Bible and the Quran on the other side.

The pastor is so self-righteously "not politically correct." And the comments on Farcebark crow about how the "leftists" (they use this term almost like a longshoreman uses "fuck" to flavor every single sentence they say) are Muslim-loving Jesus-haters etc. yada.

I say this kind of thing brings the Gospel of Jesus Christ into disrepute. It turns people off God. It makes a mockery of Christ's message of love.

Dear Pastor Jerk: God's name is blasphemed among the nations because of you.

(And that's not even getting into the pig-ignorance of it. It's like saying "Christians worship GOD not DIOS.")

I like him.

--------------------
"The moral high ground is slowly being bombed to oblivion. " - Supermatelot

Posts: 2118 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016