homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Did Jesus have Asperger's?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Did Jesus have Asperger's?
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I did mean to post that in Heaven - not trying to start a serious discussion.

It has occured to me that the boy Jesus went off on his own without telling parents and then, when they found him, pretty much said 'But I thought you'd know where I was!'. This is typical Aspie behaviour.

What other historical figure would you diagnose with autistic spectrum or other conditions?

[Edit: weird apostrophication!]

[ 02. July 2010, 18:33: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Esmeralda:
It has occured to me that the boy Jesus went off on his own without telling parents and then, when they found him, pretty much said 'But I thought you'd know where I was!'. This is typical Aspie behaviour.

That is typical teenager behaviour!
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've often wondered if Elijah had bipolar disorder.

You get this huge frenzy of activity on Mount Carmel, with Elijah making extravagant claims and ending on a terrific high. Next thing, he's running away and wishing he was dead.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes I did mean to post that in Heaven - not trying to start a serious discussion.

What other historical figure would you diagnose with autistic spectrum or other conditions?

Well, in a totally unserious way as an answer to the OP, no, He didn’t. How do I know this? Because he loved crowds and parties, he thrived in social situations, he knew exactly the right thing to say and do, he clearly had a reasonable sense of balance from all that standing on top of things talking to the crowds, and he knew who everyone was without hesitation or pondering. And he spoke in parables that were full of weird visual imagery that we find very distracting. What is it with the camels and needles thing, eh? Tsk… [Disappointed]
Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bullfrog.

Prophetic Amphibian
# 11014

- Posted      Profile for Bullfrog.   Email Bullfrog.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I don't know about autism, but a friend once gave me a theory that Isaac must've had Downs Syndrome.

--------------------
Some say that man is the root of all evil
Others say God's a drunkard for pain
Me, I believe that the Garden of Eden
Was burned to make way for a train. --Josh Ritter, Harrisburg

Posts: 7522 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jonathan Strange
Shipmate
# 11001

- Posted      Profile for Jonathan Strange   Email Jonathan Strange   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As for historical examples, there was a little Corsican chap (name escapes me) who was quite a famous case of the Napoleon Complex.

--------------------
"Wrong will be right, when Aslan comes in sight,
At the sound of his roar, sorrows will be no more,
When he bears his teeth, winter meets its death,
When he shakes his mane, we shall have spring again"

Posts: 1327 | From: Wessex | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I've often wondered if Elijah had bipolar disorder.

You get this huge frenzy of activity on Mount Carmel, with Elijah making extravagant claims and ending on a terrific high. Next thing, he's running away and wishing he was dead.

I think this one is actually quite a likely diagnosis. Probably King David too, if you read the psalms attributed to him.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always thought Saul was mentally ill. At first he was a great King and General but then one day he, "fell and got up a different person" (head trauma)? After that, he started making rash decisions, (the army couldn't eat till they had won), was occasionally violent for no reason, (threw a daggar at someone during dinner because he was "possessed by an evil spirit") and he became totally obsessed with jealousy and paranoia about David, who actually loved Saul. Poor ol' Saul.
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

- Posted      Profile for amber.   Email amber.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Now if we're looking for a candidate for the title of Potential Biblical Aspie, I'd say we need to consider good old Nicodemus. There's Jesus making the finer points of the comments about how we need to be born again, and Nicodemus responds with

“How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?” (John 3 v4)

which has Jesus despairing of him.

Literal thinking, beautifully illustrated [Smile]

Posts: 5102 | From: Central South of England | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jesus didn't have Asperger's Syndrome - he had a "messiah complex!" [Killing me]

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some would say that was Paul [Biased] (actually not at all fair to Paul - but some would say it!)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You guys are a hoot.

All of this sounds perfectly normal behavior to me--wonder what that says about me...

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wm Duncan

Buoy tender
# 3021

- Posted      Profile for Wm Duncan   Email Wm Duncan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter's impulsive speaking reminds me of myself, and of some of my ADD friends ... and it led him to some amazing spots:
  • wanting to build booths for Moses & Elijah
  • getting out of the boat to walk on the water
  • confessing Jesus as the Christ
  • promising never to deny Jesus
  • denying Jesus three times
  • preaching on Pentecost.
That Peter's impulsiveness could be a part of his being called the Rock on which the church would be built is a great comfort to me.

[ 26. August 2008, 21:53: Message edited by: Wm Duncan ]

--------------------
I have overcome a fiercely anti-Catholic upbringing in order to attend Mass simply and solely to escape Protestant guitars. Why am I here? Who gave these nice Catholics guitars?
-- Annie Dillard

Posts: 1193 | From: about 30 km above the Juan de Fuca plate | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could Martha have had a touch of OCD? I always felt sympathy with her inability to stop fussing with the table settings and just sit down and listen.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
President Lincoln--severe depression.

Mary Todd Lincoln (his wife)--bipolar.

Mark Twain--bipolar.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Mark Twain--bipolar.

And the evidence for this is?

--------------------

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Some would say that was Paul [Biased] (actually not at all fair to Paul - but some would say it!)

Wouldn't that Messiah complex by proxy?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love pop psychology!

Oh wait, know I remember, it is a load of complete wank, mainly from journalists who took psych 101 while getting their liberal arts degree.

Must be my Alzheimers playing up.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There, there, dear. We're just having a bit of fun here. Would you like me to walk you over to the arts and crafts room? [Razz]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, it's quite a lovely thought - people with autism have no filters - they literally see everything equally (in my understanding) and I guess Jesus had no filters either. He saw it all, all the time and everyone equally.

(this is Heaven - I'm allowed to be simplistic...)

BTW, we were *taught* that Saul was mentally ill. David was the first music therapist...

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
maleveque
Shipmate
# 132

- Posted      Profile for maleveque   Email maleveque   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:

Mark Twain--bipolar.

And the evidence for this is?
Don't know about Mark Twain, but there's plenty of evidence for the first two assertions, including that Mary Lincoln was committed to a psychiatric hospital in 1875. See the Wikipedia articles on each of them.
Anne L.

--------------------
Life isn't all fricasseed frogs and eel pie.

Posts: 1496 | From: Washington, DC or thereabouts | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It amazes me that so many people who have achieved truly great things also suffered from psychiatric problems.

I wonder if having a suffering soul is a prerequisite for greatness.

Pax Romana

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was just going to say how much I am enjoying the thread. It's fun to compare what (little) I know about various diagnoses with what (also little) I know about the people mentioned. I especially liked Twilight's point about Martha and OCD.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Twain:

Well, since this is a Heaven thread, I didn't think we needed proof... [Angel]

But he had massive mood swings, deep depressions, and manic phases where he'd spend way too much money, get the family into unwise business deals, etc.

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Twilight:
I always thought Saul was mentally ill. At first he was a great King and General but then one day he, "fell and got up a different person" (head trauma)? After that, he started making rash decisions, (the army couldn't eat till they had won), was occasionally violent for no reason, (threw a daggar at someone during dinner because he was "possessed by an evil spirit") and he became totally obsessed with jealousy and paranoia about David, who actually loved Saul. Poor ol' Saul.

I think Saul was pretty clearly bipolar with psychotic features--though I'd consider rule-outs of psychotic disorder due to head trauma and temporal lobe epilepsy.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Socrates must have had Asperges. His patient questioning of every possible thing, without realising how it would irritate the life out of everyone around him is not the way a 'mainstream-wired' brain works. And then to accuse his wife, Xanthipe of being shrewish and irritable - after 24 years of being asked to logically justify her every action according to a set of pre-determined questions, well, it's not surprising she was irritable!

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
amber.
Ship's Aspiedestra
# 11142

quote:
Originally posted by Harperchild:
Actually, it's quite a lovely thought - people with autism have no filters - they literally see everything equally (in my understanding) and I guess Jesus had no filters either. He saw it all, all the time and everyone equally.

(this is Heaven - I'm allowed to be simplistic...)

[Big Grin] Sort of true. Only it's more "Oh no, someone's cross with us, it must mean everyone is...." or "This person is friendly, therefore all the group will be". We just can't always cope with the concept that two different people will behave differently. So I'd still say Jesus was way, way more able than that in human relationships.

And yup, Socrates probably was on the autistic spectrum, as probably were Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, and good old Bill Gates

Esmeralda

# 582

Elizabeth I had gender dysphoria - she had the heart and stomach of a man.

--------------------

Esmeralda

# 582

quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:
I love pop psychology!

Oh wait, know I remember, it is a load of complete wank, mainly from journalists who took psych 101 while getting their liberal arts degree.

Must be my Alzheimers playing up.

ER.. this was meant to be a joke thread. Not a rewrite of history.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In other words: lighten up

Zappa
Heaven Host

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

No, no, no - it must have been species dysphoria - the heart and stomach of a concrete elephant.*

* with thanks to the authors of Blackadder II

[Snigger]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Peter clearly had ADHD--no focus, no impulse control, couldn't remember whether he actually knew Jesus or not (or more likely wasn't really listening when the question was asked).

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

# 582

Timothy was a werewolf: Paul told him to have a little whine for his stomach's sake.

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Oh! I thought that she was one of the first people to have transplant surgery...

Twilight, when you mentioned Martha possibly having OCD and fiddling with place setting, I couldn't work out whether you mean Mary's sister, or Martha Stewart. But hey, it might well fit for both.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Re Martha Stewart:

I've long figured she has OCD, and made her fortune from it.
[Smile] [Overused]

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016