homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Nativity Story in 30 seconds

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Nativity Story in 30 seconds
Obnoxious Snob

Arch-Deacon
# 982

- Posted      Profile for Obnoxious Snob   Email Obnoxious Snob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Christian Advertising Network are holding a competition to see whether people can tell the Nativity Story in 30 seconds.

How about in 20 words??

Could do it, I suppose, in 10 but would you be able to really explore the theological depth????

[ 03. April 2009, 06:11: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
'The best thing we can do is to make wherever we're lost in Look as much like home as we can'

Christopher Fry

Posts: 889 | From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Obnoxious Snob

Arch-Deacon
# 982

- Posted      Profile for Obnoxious Snob   Email Obnoxious Snob   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Seems a heavenly task to me but please move if thread needs a more appropriate home.

--------------------
'The best thing we can do is to make wherever we're lost in Look as much like home as we can'

Christopher Fry

Posts: 889 | From: Kernow | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Veiled in flesh the Godhead see!
Hail the incarnate Deity!
Pleased as man with man to dwell
Jesus our Emmanuel!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow, Eutychus - that is profound!! You should write a hymn. [Smile]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I must admit to having triple-counted the number of words and finding it too good to be true (and also hard to improve on).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I can't improve on Euty's (and suspect that if nobody else can then it might be a very short thread). So I've decided to go for a different mix'n'match approach:

Away in a manger, God came down at Christmas, While shepherds watched their flocks, Hark! the herald angels sing, Glory.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zealot en vacance
Shipmate
# 9795

- Posted      Profile for Zealot en vacance   Email Zealot en vacance   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Announced by Angels, the creator of all things seen and unseen, miraculously enters His physical creation as a baby, Alleluia.

--------------------
He said, "Love one another".

Posts: 2014 | From: Surface of planet Earth | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Word became flesh and dwelt among us.

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
HALF OFF MULTI-COLORED CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTS THIS SATURDAY ONLY!

Previous offers not applicable. Restocking fee on returned items.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BBC story here; anyone wanting to enter the competition will have to be between 18 and 24 years old (drat, just missed it [Roll Eyes] ). Not sure that Charles Wesley (age: 301) really qualifies!

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or there's something original I wrote then stitched on my Christmas card several years ago.

Christ-child lying
Helpless
Realized
Incarnation
Star summoned
They worshipped
Messiah
Awaited
Saviour.

I'm too old to enter [Waterworks] this is ageism- is outrage!

I like this year's card better anyway.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner

Sip the ship
# 4

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner   Author's homepage   Email Ancient Mariner   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
HALF OFF MULTI-COLORED CHRISTMAS TREE LIGHTS THIS SATURDAY ONLY!

Previous offers not applicable. Restocking fee on returned items.

[Cool]

--------------------
Ship of Fools' first novel, Rattles & Rosettes, is the tale of two football (soccer) fans: 16-year-old Tom in 1914 and Dan in 2010. More at www.rattlesandrosettes.com

Posts: 2582 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mary gave birth to Jesus Christ in a stable. Angels, Shepherds and Magi came to worship the new born Messiah.

There you go.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm impressed.
Shipmates usually tell the Nativity Story in about a month!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amazing almighty arrives amidst astonished animal assembly.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Or then there's the Librul Plot™ version:

Peripatetic Person Penetrates Peasant Precipitately
Cuckolded Carpenter Concocts Cover-up
Paraclete-Parthenogenesis Popular Plot
Rumour Resonates Repeatedly
Gullible Godbotherers gabble
Still

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Athrawes
Ship's parrot
# 9594

- Posted      Profile for Athrawes   Email Athrawes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Glad you understood that, Zappa. [Roll Eyes] I think I'll stick with Eutychus' effort (chanelling Wesley).

--------------------
Explaining why is going to need a moment, since along the way we must take in the Ancient Greeks, the study of birds, witchcraft, 19thC Vaudeville and the history of baseball. Michael Quinion.

Posts: 2966 | From: somewhere with a book shop | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Were you born in a barn?"

(Probably only US shipmates will get this.)

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
OMG, it's twins! Quick, hide one.

--------------------

rugasaw
Shipmate
# 7315

- Posted      Profile for rugasaw   Email rugasaw   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pop. Waaaaa. Jesus!

--------------------
Treat the earth well, It was not given to you by your parents. It was loaned to you by your children. -Unknown

Posts: 2716 | From: Houston | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tangent:

Bible in a Minute

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just have to add...

A few years ago when youngest was in nursery school (aged 3) he was given the part of the angel Gabriel, and had the only line spoken in the whole play.

"Be not be afraid!"

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"Were you born in a barn?"

(Probably only US shipmates will get this.)

but most of us have TVs [Big Grin]

... Yeah, and every time I hear a donkey bray, I get homesick!

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Melisande
Shipmate
# 4177

- Posted      Profile for Melisande   Email Melisande   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Awww, it's a baby! Completely God! Completely human! All at once! My brain explodes.

--------------------
The door itself makes no promises.
It is only a door.
-- Adrienne Rich

Posts: 302 | From: The western Main Line | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Belisarius:
Tangent:

Bible in a Minute

Stunning!

--------------------

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If today's media covered it:

Virgin Gives Birth to Son
Says God is the Dad
Film at 11!

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

A baby, angels, a star, shepherds with sheep and three wise men - look what Santa brought me!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
*bump* In honor of Advent I.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Eutychus is still best, but Melisande close second. I am light-years removed from the target age group for the contest, so I shall refrain from contributing to this competition…

[Overused] [Angel]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'll give it a go.

Mary and Joe engaged, Mary pregnant (not Joe's - God's) Married anyway. Census, journey, stable only available accomodation, baby born there.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Inequity- too much of it! Justice and Peace? Not enough! Here is a baby- mom is a virgin y'know. Myrrh?" [Biased]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Presbyopic
Shipmate
# 10596

- Posted      Profile for Presbyopic   Email Presbyopic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If the competition is only for the 18-24 age group they should have made it "Nativity in Textspeak"

JC born 4 u
OMG TY! TY!

Posts: 699 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016