homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Eccles: Of Archdeacons (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Eccles: Of Archdeacons
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm giving an after-dinner speech next week at the UK national get-together of C of E Archdeacons, on a Ship of Fools ticket. I confess I don't know the breed very well and wondered if any kind souls would be willing to post any insider notes about these curious creatures... or even stories about Archdeacons you have known.

The two fictional Archdeacons who stick in my mind are Archdeacon Grantly of Barchester, and Archdeacon Robert of BBC TV's Rev, both of them darkly menacing. Presumably, they're caricatures, but caricatures of what, exactly?

Forgive me posting a request for help when I'm such an infrequent visitor to these shores.

[ 29. April 2013, 21:58: Message edited by: seasick ]

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Archdeacon: The crook at the head of the bishop's staff [Devil]

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cornish High
Apprentice
# 17202

- Posted      Profile for Cornish High   Email Cornish High   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The most unedifying thing ever heard from the lips of a former Archdeacon of Aston at one of his visitations was, "gentlemen, you must look to your drains".I am sure he was not alone in his concern for churchwardens caring for the church's fabric but the point could have been better expresses.
fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think its a caricature because they are very often in the position feeling they should have been the Bishop - but they got the booby prize to keep them happy, or because they are the Bishop's rabid dog to do all the hard stuff he doesn't want to mess up his hands with. Sometimes - maybe even more often than not - the cap fits. Tread lightly or be mauled!

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At all the Archdeacons' Visitations I've ever attended, the sermon always includes jokes about every Archdeacon's obsession with guttering, pointing and dressed stonework. I think it's more an affliction that goes with the job, than a genuine enthusiasm about church architecture and the drains.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Joanne Trollope's The Rector's Wife the Rector very much wants to be Archdeacon and suffers a breakdown when he doesn't get the position. The man who does get the job is wonderful -- and has a sexy younger brother!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Giving workshops in my previous incarnation, I occasionally quoted Archdeacon Grantly who said, "Whenever I hear a man boasting of his honesty, I straightaway check to see if my pocketbook is safe." Other bon mots include: "The legal profession does not concern itself with morality"

In The Warden, Trollope describes him:
quote:
he looked like an ecclesiastical statue ... as a fitting impersonation of the church militant here on earth; his shovel hat, large, new, and well-pronounced, a churchman's hat in every inch, declared the profession as plainly as does the Quakers broad brim; his heavy eyebrow, large, open eyes, and full mouth and chin expressed the solidity of his order; the broad chest, amply covered with fine cloth, told how well to do was his estate; one hand ensconced within his pocket, evinced the practical hold which our mother church keeps on her temporal possessions; and the other, loose for action, was ready to fight if need be for her defence; and, below these, the decorous breeches and neat black gaiters showing so admirably that well-turned leg, betokened the decency, the outward beauty, and grace of our church establishment".
The Archdeacon combined "the dignity of an ancient saint" with "the sleekness of a modern bishop." and so forth. I think that there's quite a bit hear, along with references to Saint Lawrence, the martyred archdeacon of Rome, who went to the grill (patron of barbecues?) rather than show the authorities the diocesan books and given them the PIN. I find archdeacons always seem to be greatly affected by tales or archidiaconal martyrdoms.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
iamchristianhearmeroar
Shipmate
# 15483

- Posted      Profile for iamchristianhearmeroar   Author's homepage   Email iamchristianhearmeroar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some Archdeacons have a very hard time indeed. Our retiring Archdeacon, who has been absolutely fantastic and will be sorely missed, told us that on his very first day as Archdeacon he was rung by the police at about 7am and had to rock up at a local police station as one of the vicars under his jurisdiction had been arrested. The police had, apparently, rung the outgoing Archdeacon whose immediate response had been "Oh, ring X, he's in charge now"...

It's not all faculties for building new toilets!

--------------------
My blog: http://alastairnewman.wordpress.com/

Posts: 642 | From: London, UK | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
Clavus
Shipmate
# 9427

- Posted      Profile for Clavus   Email Clavus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Num archidiaconus salvari potest? (Can an archdeacon be saved?)
- John of Salisbury (1120-1180), Epist. CLXVI

Posts: 389 | From: The Indian Summer of the C of E | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Holding

Coffee and Cognac
# 158

- Posted      Profile for John Holding   Email John Holding   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In times of stress, Archdeacons are sometimes referred to as Archdemons, if that helps.

John

Posts: 5929 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father went hiking with an archdeacon for some years and heard plenty of good stories, none of which one is at all at liberty to divulge.

This notwithstanding ,the modern archdeacon is I believe a somewhat less draconian and more prosaically professional clergyman or woman. I'd be interested to know how they react after a few sherries though, I find the thought of them letting down their collective hair an amusing and slightly terrifying thought!

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Clavus:

I think the Latin's a bit stronger than your translation: it's more like "Surely an archdeacon can't be saved?"

Though, to be honest, I don't think I've ever met an archdeacon I've disliked. They've all seemed good-humoured and pleasant people, with a healthy interest in all things alcoholic.

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by Clavus:

I think the Latin's a bit stronger than your translation: it's more like "Surely an archdeacon can't be saved?"

Though, to be honest, I don't think I've ever met an archdeacon I've disliked. They've all seemed good-humoured and pleasant people, with a healthy interest in all things alcoholic.

Thinking on this with respect to the Summoner's Tale, I think the reason archdeacons used to be unpopular was that they were the ones who put people on trial in the ecclesiastical courts...

--------------------

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's amazing to think people have been filling this office for such a long stretch of time, going back via Trollope and Chaucer to dear BBQ'd St Lawrence. Thanks for the wealth of detail and reference so far... all v. helpful for me, and hopefully entertaining as a thread.

--------------------
Eternal memory

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another admirer of Archdeacon Robert checking in!

Sorry to inject a nerdily serious note, but Archdeacons are of course familiar creatures in Anglicanism. According to the above references it seems they predate the Reformation, yet as far as I am aware they are unknown in the present day RCC. When did they disappear there? Or were they just an English phenomenon?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emendator Liturgia
Shipmate
# 17245

- Posted      Profile for Emendator Liturgia   Author's homepage   Email Emendator Liturgia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Though the phrase was well known, when I asked one archdeacon how he was he replied with a straight face - 'Venomous as ever' (playing, of course on their title, The Ven.).

Mind you, for reasons of financial constraint, THIS diocese has disposed of the servcices of all archdeacons - so maybe the question is 'Are archdeacons really required?' (only once in 20 years at a church did we ever had a proper archeaconal inspection of the peoperty, during a vacancy).

--------------------
Don't judge all Anglicans in Sydney by prevailing Diocesan standards!

Posts: 401 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jul 2012  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

They are part-time positions in the Church of Ireland, held by experienced clergy in combination with their parish post. So as to necessity I guess it depends on how many parishes there are to be cared for - I think RC diocese in England and Wales have assign the same duties to vicar generals so there is clearly a need for the role, whatever it is called.

--------------------

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the minor mysteries of the CoE is why, despite the title (and the custom of the early church), a deacon cannot become an archdeacon. It lays down that archdeacons have to be in presbyter's orders. [Confused]

--------------------
Rec a archaw e nim naccer.
y rof a duv. dagnouet.
Am bo forth. y porth riet.
Crist ny buv e trist yth orsset.

Posts: 1032 | From: Hereabouts | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it indeed? I thought that there were one or two female archdeacons before women were ordained priest.

--------------------

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

- Posted      Profile for Metapelagius   Email Metapelagius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The requirement was introduced in 1662; in 1840 the additional requirement of having been in presbyter's orders for at least six years was made.

Add to the list of fictional archdeacons Robertson Hare in "All Gas and Gaiters".

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Angloid is correct. I met a female Archdeacon pre-1994 who was in Deacon's orders.

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Another admirer of Archdeacon Robert checking in!

Sorry to inject a nerdily serious note, but Archdeacons are of course familiar creatures in Anglicanism. According to the above references it seems they predate the Reformation, yet as far as I am aware they are unknown in the present day RCC. When did they disappear there? Or were they just an English phenomenon?

IIRC most archidiaconal functions in the RCC are now performed by vicars general. However, Spanish dioceses still have archdeacons, and Cdl Alvarez, retired Abp of Toledo & Primate of Spain, went from canon to archdeacon at an early age--- he seems to have been the equivalent of the executive assistant or (in TEC-speak) the canon to the ordinary. I have seen a sign outside the office of the Archdeacon of Santander in the diocesan office when I went to get my pilgrim's credential stamped in 2011, so there is likely one there.

The last Cardinal Archdeacon of Rome, the reformer Hildebrand (S Gregory VII) suppressed his former dignity but there is still a Cardinal Protodeacon (Jean-Louis Tauran, titular Abp of Telepte), but he seems to be the senior cardinal deacon. Cdl Fesch, Napoleon's uncle, began his career as Archdeacon of Ajaccio. I telephoned my Usual Source on Trivia of the Scarlet Lady, and he told me that, while the office technically exists at the primatial cathedral in Québec City, he does not think that it has been filled for the past half-century. He tells me that there are occasionally mutterings of re-instituting the office to supervise permanent deacons, but it appears that people would rather be a Vicar General for Deacons, or a Diocesan Coordinator of Diaconal Ministries. I told him that I thought that the introduction of aprons and gaiters would stimulate ecumenical reflexions, but he didn't think that this was very amusing. O well.

Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
My father went hiking with an archdeacon for some years ...

They must have gone a terribly long way. (I'll get me coat.)

There is IIRC a splendidly villainous Archdeacon, the Abbe Troubert, in Balzac's Le Cure de Tours, which also has a comfortable but innocent little canon and a plot about ecclesiastical preferment, but which I think pre-dates The Warden by some years.

Our Archdeacon here (Llandaff) leads circle dancing: alas not as I had hoped on whirling Dervish lines, though.

Oh, and I think the Scottish Episcopalians don't have them. Does TEC?

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Oh, and I think the Scottish Episcopalians don't have them. Does TEC?
Depends on the diocese. In dioceses that have them, they tend to be either the bishop's first assistant, or the overseer of the deacons that occupies his or her time emphasizing the distinction between vocational and transitional deacons.

[ 17. January 2013, 00:34: Message edited by: Zach82 ]

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Episcopal Diocese of Arizona has a Deacon as our Archdeacon. "As the Archdeacon, she is the overseer of the Deacons within the Diocese, and the Administrator for the Deacons' Formation Academy."

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Sydney diocese has a woman archdeacon, she being responsible for the ministry of and to women. Of course, this being Sydney, she is not a priest but a deacon.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Simon:
It's amazing to think people have been filling this office for such a long stretch of time, going back via Trollope and Chaucer to dear BBQ'd St Lawrence.

Further than that - some, at least, would see Stephen as Protomartyr and Archdeacon. Clearly it was a tricky job back then, but perhaps a little less dangerous now?

I recall a story, which I probably read on the Ship, of a church that had the Archdeacon coming to lead Evensong. The printed order of service the church used indicated which parts were to be said by the 'Minister' and which by 'All'. For the occasion new versions were printed, using "Find and replace" to change 'Minister' to 'Archdeacon'. All was well until they found themselves with, apparently, a particular need to pray that God should, "Endue thy Archdeacons with righteousness".

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
AberVicar
Mornington Star
# 16451

- Posted      Profile for AberVicar     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may find some helpful material in

this sermon

by the Bishop of Monmouth.

--------------------
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.

Posts: 742 | From: Abertillery | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of the times when you are likely to regularly meet the Archdeacon is during a time of interregnum (or other problem with staffing in the parish, eg. sickness, breakdown) - although there is other help from assistant / retired priests or occasional help from nearby parishes, the Archdeacon will often oversee the change and start the ball rolling by presiding and preaching, and holding any necessary meetings, to encourage everyone at the start of this ministry. Some of them are very good at this ministry of Encouragement, and are not nasty or fierce, as in the popular image, at all.

And, of course, you should know that formally Archdeacons should be known as (The Ancient and) Venerable, but informally as 'Archie'. [Biased]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:

Yup. At their best, Archdeacons are brilliant. They deal with all the muck and horror of parish life, make sure most laws are adhered to, and are attached to a drip that feeds them coffee at all times.

You remember that episode of Rev where Adam is having a nightmare? He dreams that the Archdeacon is sitting on his loo saying "I poo snakes". Put it like this - I think one Archdeacon was considering calling another AD conference "Pooing Snakes". They're good people to have around.

If they don't pay attention to legal matters and how to work with difficult people, they're of less use than a chocolate fireguard. They need to be tough buggers.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
are attached to a drip that feeds them coffee at all times.

[Killing me] The running joke that has Archdeacon Robert pouring away Adam's or Adoha's instant 'coffee' always amuses me.

--------------------

Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One point that no-one has made yet is that several cathedral chapters have the Archdeacon of the city amongst their number. Canterbury is one such, and the Archdeacon of Canterbury (Ven Sheila Watson) enthroned the Bishop of Chichester, according to the Mystery Worship report.

It is definitely a preferment in the church. It can be a step on the way to greater things, such as a purple shirt, or it can be a way of a Bishop using the wide pastoral experience of a respected clergyperson as a safe pair of hands to deal with problems.

Archdeacons are usually involved in parish clerical appointments, and there is an interesting comment in the back page interview of the Church Times last week from a psychatrist who sits on clergy selection conferences: "I try to help the archeacons of the future by spotting the folk who will cause them sleepless nights in 15 years' time", which I thought was interesting.

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
Angloid is correct. I met a female Archdeacon pre-1994 who was in Deacon's orders.

Interesting. The Diocese of Chichester brought a motion to the ?July Synod (turns out it was originally meant for July 2011) to allow diaconal archdeacons and it was voted down, for some reason that I just do not understand.

More here.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

maryjones
Shipmate
# 13523

- Posted      Profile for maryjones   Email maryjones   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My first sight of an Archdeacon disappointed me. He didn't look venerable at all!
In clerical murder mysteries, I notice that Archdeacons are generally hard-working, thoughtful and efficient - as opposed to Deans, who are are usually the victim

Posts: 75 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm starting to wish I could hear your talk! Looks like you are going to have some good material.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Traveller:
One point that no-one has made yet is that several cathedral chapters have the Archdeacon of the city amongst their number. Canterbury is one such, and the Archdeacon of Canterbury (Ven Sheila Watson) enthroned the Bishop of Chichester, according to the Mystery Worship report.

I believe this is a role that the Archdeacon of Canterbury has in all English episcopal enthronements as a representative of the Archbishop of Canterbury.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That may be only in the province of Canterbury, basillica. I have an idea it is someone else (and not the Archdeacon of York) in the Northern Province. But I don't know of sure. (I have no experience arranging episcopal enthronements, but if someone would like to give me the chance, it would keep me off the streets.)

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Simon

Editor
# 1

Thanks, everyone, for all the info and gossip about the Venomous Ones. Especially like the story, Chapelhead about enduing archdeacons with righteousness, but even the more arcane details about the lives and works of archdeacons are great background too. 1,000 blessings for this, and any more postings welcome.

--------------------
Eternal memory

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
That may be only in the province of Canterbury, basillica. I have an idea it is someone else (and not the Archdeacon of York) in the Northern Province. But I don't know of sure. (I have no experience arranging episcopal enthronements, but if someone would like to give me the chance, it would keep me off the streets.)

This may be so, although the previous Archdeacon of Norwich was also a canon of the cathedral so could have done the same thing with a +Norvic had one been appointed. I've never knowingly encountered the Archdeacon of Canterbury, however...

--------------------

seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I never understood why the Archdeacon of Canterbury enthroned the Bishop of Chichester (a different diocese) but I'm sure it makes sense really?

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

Because, as Basilica pointed out upthread, the Archdeacon of Canterbury is the Archbishop of Canterbury's representative and, as such, reads a greeting from the archbishop.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
I've never knowingly encountered the Archdeacon of Canterbury, however...

Think Daphne Whitethigh (Round the Horne). Well the voice, anyway.
Very deep, and really quite marvellous.

[ 17. January 2013, 17:50: Message edited by: Chorister ]

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

quote:
Originally posted by Spike:

If Angloid is correct, then the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (by which I verified my recollection) is in error. Or, dare I say it, vice-versa, though that would involve contradicting an administrator, the penalty for which is doubtless hair-raising ... [Ultra confused]

However, if there be no bar to a deacon being made archdeacon, why, as recently as 2011, should the question have been raised in the diocese of Chichester as to whether the practice be permitted? [Confused]

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Metapelagius:
If Angloid is correct, then the Oxford Dictionary of the Christian Church (by which I verified my recollection) is in error. Or, dare I say it, vice-versa, though that would involve contradicting an administrator, the penalty for which is doubtless hair-raising ... [Ultra confused]

However, if there be no bar to a deacon being made archdeacon, why, as recently as 2011, should the question have been raised in the diocese of Chichester as to whether the practice be permitted? [Confused]

Because... Anglicanism.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:

Because... Anglicanism.
Because...Chichester.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
Does it indeed? I thought that there were one or two female archdeacons before women were ordained priest.

Canon C22 as currently enacted states:

1. No person shall be capable of receiving the appointment of archdeacon until he has been six years complete in holy orders and is in priest's orders at the time of the appointment.

Earlier the canon specified a minimum period in priest's orders.

I am confident that it has never been possible for a person not in priest's orders to be an archdeacon. But I have a vague recollection (which may of course be mistaken) that at least one bishop appointed a women deacon to a post where she did as much of an archdeacon's normal duties as can be done without actually being an archdeacon. Perhaps this is what Angloid is thinking of.

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Peter is very possibly right. I only thought that I had heard of a diaconal archdeacon; never to my knowledge have I met one so I bow to greater knowledge.

I suppose if the OoW as priests had not gone forward, there would have been pressure to amend the canons to allow deacons to serve as archdeacons, as seems fitting in any case. It is a diaconal sort of job, not a priestly one.

--------------------

Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
quote:

Because... Anglicanism.
Because...Chichester.
Wasn't Charles Lutwidge Dodgson an Anglican deacon?

Perhaps by way of experiment someone might suggest the (re-)introduction of the office of archpriest into the CoE. If the powers that be agreed, but insisted that the office could only be held by one in episcopal orders, the underlying principle of this odd state of affairs would become apparent.

[ 17. January 2013, 21:56: Message edited by: Metapelagius ]

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes he was, but he wasn't an archdeacon. [Biased]

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metapelagius
Shipmate
# 9453

quote:
Originally posted by Peter Owen:
quote:

Yes he was, but he wasn't an archdeacon. [Biased]
No, but I didn't suggest that he was. What I had in mind is that the stories who wrote for Alice Liddell may have drawn their inspiration not only from the idiosyncracies of Victorian Oxford, but also from those of the CoE.

--------------------
y rof a duv. dagnouet.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016