homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Banning Donald Trump from Britain (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Banning Donald Trump from Britain
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This topic probably doesn't need any introduction, but a brief summary is as follows:

After Donald Trump's declaration of his intention to ban Muslims from the United States, a petition was started in Britain with the idea of getting enough signatories to debate in Parliament whether Donald Trump should be banned from the UK for hate speech.

The petition got over 570,000 signatures and is currently being debated. In practice it's quite unlikely that Donald Trump will actually be banned from the UK, but what are shipmates' views on this?

1) He should be allowed to visit Britain and say what he pleases.

2) He should be allowed to visit Britain but given a "guided tour" where he will visit a mosque, talk to Muslims, and see London and Birmingham with a view to debunking him of some of his wilder ideas.

3) Inviting him to Britain to see for himself would be a waste of time. He knows what he thinks and a visit wouldn't change his mind.

4) Banning him from Britain wouldn't help. It would give him extra publicity, would take away a chance to show him the reality on the ground, and also, if he did become President, make things rather awkward.

5) Yes, he should be banned from Britain for promoting hate speech. His visit would stir up divisiveness and encourage those who shared his views to become more active.

6) Donald Trump is honest enough to say what people really think but are afraid to say. Invite him here and get him to give some talks.

Or anything else that hasn't been covered...

I'm aware there is a Presidential thread running in Purgatory already but I'd like to focus on the freedom of speech angle here, not whether he gets elected or not. What do you think? There have been some good points put forward in the House of Commons debate on either side.

[ 16. May 2016, 08:19: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As an American, I'm pretty squeamish about trying to regulate people's rights or ability to speak their minds. Although I recognize that one can argue that his speech constitutes a call to violent action (even if not explicitly so) against a certain group of people. Which is certainly NOT admissible and legally actionable.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After foisting Piers Morgan on the Americans for a while it's only fair that we take someone in return.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No good will be done by banning this ass from Britain, especially during the election. I like Ariel's suggestion #2.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I started off thinking 5 but then thought 2, but now I'm thinking 3. I don't think a guided tour or "fact-finding" mission would change his mind. However, I feel he should be given the opportunity.
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm really in two minds. I would love to him to come visit and see the wonderful communities and mosques and learn.

But equally, I am so upset with him for - not what he has said as much as what he thinks. Freedom of speech yes. But such ignorant and bigoted and vile thoughts? ug.

I would be surprised if he came to UK given what he has said about the place?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost uniquely for me, I signed the petition, and even got a few others to sign it, basically because it offered a grassroots way to hit back at someone who mirrors much of what I dislike in Marine Le Pen.

(As I still hold British nationality I was entitled to do so).

It's also great to have a system whereby if an issue gathers enough signatures, it may be debated, as this one is being.

Now, however, I hope (and anticipate) that the motion will not pass. The debate will serve to air the issues and see where some UK politicians stand, but he should not be banned so that he can see others do not seek to pay him back in his own coin (which would make him a martyr).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I see the debate has ended without a vote.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I signed to express my disgust really, I doubted a ban would happen - but I suppose also to highlight the contrast with other people who *do* get banned. He shouldn't get a free pass because he is rich and famous, if we'd ban people advocating something similar re Jews we should ban him. If we are not going to ban him, in the name of free speech, then we should be more careful about who we do ban for exactly the same reasons.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to vote for...

7) Invite him to Britain -- but not allow him back in the U.S.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Mr Trump is saying this, you can bet that there's some part of the American people agree with him.

Better that he says it outright, so that those who are appalled by the idea can make their case in reply, than that he keeps his thoughts private until he's in a position of power.

Better that those who agree with him are engaged in the democratic process than that the rules of that process are somehow written to exclude their views. Because trying to get their way by private action in a gun-owning society is worse.

Free speech can go this far.

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other thing is, I can imagine some people in Britain getting pretty upset if the US decided to try to influence a British election by publicly declaring that Mr Corbyn (just for example) was unwelcome in their country...

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some Shippies write as if Trump has never been to Britain. Of course he has. He has business interests in Scotland - some quite controversial and I presume he visits regularly. I doubt he's been to Birmingham or Bradford or down Brick Lane.

Thing is, whatever he sees would only confirm his suspicions and xenophobia. 'Hey, Prime Minister Cameron's saying that 190,000 Muslim women in Britain struggle with English ... that illustrates what I've been trying to say ...'

Banning the bastard wouldn't achieve anything and it may even convince some wavering Americans to vote for him.

I don't often quote Thatcher but her oxygen of publicity comment springs to mind.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't accept this is an attempt to influence the American election, not least because I doubt anyone believes the GOP base who support Trump give a flying fuck about a UK petition.

[ 18. January 2016, 19:19: Message edited by: Doublethink. ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've said this before, but the UK banned Dutch politician Wilders once, so I guess there is precedent.

[ 18. January 2016, 19:25: Message edited by: LeRoc ]

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
No good will be done by banning this ass from Britain, especially during the election. I like Ariel's suggestion #2.

I would plum for that one as well. It seemed to work for the ex leader of the EDL. Not sure what's happened to him these days.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

If you mean Tommy Robinson, he's about to set up an English branch of Pegida, starting with a rally in Birmingham in February.

I also signed the petition, more as an expression of disgust than because I thought it would do any good. It has however at least highlighted the issue. I worry about the increasing prevalence of anti-Muslim views - replace "Muslim" with "Jew" for full effect - but I suppose the people who support Trump's views would say it wasn't the same thing at all.

I doubt if he would change his mind if he was taken to a mosque and introduced to some nice friendly Muslims. Some people see what they want to see.

Someone was asking during the debate in Parliament this evening how far freedom of speech should go before it should be banned. They felt Donald Trump should not be banned from Britain; his views might be controversial and unpopular but they were honest and deserved a hearing.

[ 18. January 2016, 19:50: Message edited by: Ariel ]

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Teaching the Donald is not, in my opinion, going to change anything about what he says. It is my thought that he figures out what makes people afraid and then tailors his speeches to inflame those fears; then tells how he is going to solve the problem causing the fear. Reality would only get in the way of the process for him.

Unfortunately, in certain sectors, his strategy seems to be working. On the other hand, I guess many of us are driven by self centered fear; myself included. I am trying to improve upon that and I recognize that self centered fear is a big motivator unless I am intentional about it not being a motivator.

Banning the Donald would, again only in my opinion, inflame the anthrophobia of many of his supporters. In other words, it might solidify his support among his current supporters. The world is, after all, out to get them.

There is nothing wrong with expression of disapproval of the Donaldagogue. Just try to not lower yourselves to his level.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
If you mean Tommy Robinson, he's about to set up an English branch of Pegida, starting with a rally in Birmingham in February.

I also signed the petition, more as an expression of disgust than because I thought it would do any good. It has however at least highlighted the issue. I worry about the increasing prevalence of anti-Muslim views - replace "Muslim" with "Jew" for full effect - but I suppose the people who support Trump's views would say it wasn't the same thing at all.

I doubt if he would change his mind if he was taken to a mosque and introduced to some nice friendly Muslims. Some people see what they want to see.

Someone was asking during the debate in Parliament this evening how far freedom of speech should go before it should be banned. They felt Donald Trump should not be banned from Britain; his views might be controversial and unpopular but they were honest and deserved a hearing.

I'm not keen on that idea that he's honest and therefore deserves to be heard. Sincerity can be overdone, for as Nye Bevan said of Anthony Eden at the time of the Suez crisis: "If Mr Eden is sincere in what he says, then he is too stupid to remain Prime Minister". It was mean, as Eden wasn't well at the time, but there's truth in there too.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Yes, couldn't quite remember his name, only that he'd appeared to have turned his back on extremism having mingled with moderate Muslims.
Not the case then.

Anyone who wants to make every Muslim the enemy along with the majority of Islam, will surely find themselves with a bigger problem than the one currently existing.

I agree with Tortuf about the inner fear potential in each of us. It was deliberately tweaked after 9/11 in order to gain support for the Iraq debacle. But, as with Jekyll and Hyde, it could activate of it's own accord if minority terror groups continue to make headway in the wider world.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do I think? As an American, I'm full of cross-pond jealousy. It's simply not fair that y'all get to vote to keep the guy out...

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"The Donald" is among the stupidest of meaningless the nicknames I've ever the heard.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, it has a meaning. In American English, referring to a person as "The" [name] is to class him as an object, similar to "the toadstool" or "the cowpat."

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Oh, it has a meaning. In American English, referring to a person as "The" [name] is to class him as an object, similar to "the toadstool" or "the cowpat."

Well, it can equally mean "the one and only" in American English.

Meanwhile, the origin of "The Donald" as a nickname for Trump.

And I'm all in favor of him going to any other country that will keep him.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
As an American, I'm pretty squeamish about trying to regulate people's rights or ability to speak their minds. Although I recognize that one can argue that his speech constitutes a call to violent action (even if not explicitly so) against a certain group of people. Which is certainly NOT admissible and legally actionable.

To an extent I agree - however the debate is not in practice about Mr Trump's right to free speech, but his right to enter a foreign country. Unless one believes in open borders this is not an automatic right.

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
"The Donald" is among the stupidest of meaningless the nicknames I've ever the heard.

But appropriate if we only refer to Trump as "it", as one might speak of a visitation of the plague.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Beeswax Altar
Shipmate
# 11644

- Posted      Profile for Beeswax Altar   Email Beeswax Altar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Donald Trump would like nothing more than to be banned from Britain.

--------------------
Losing sleep is something you want to avoid, if possible.
-Og: King of Bashan

Posts: 8411 | From: By a large lake | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best way to treat Trump is to ignore him totally. In that way he will only be of significance in his own eyes while the rest of us can give attention to people and things that are important.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

- Posted      Profile for cliffdweller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:

But appropriate if we only refer to Trump as "it", as one might speak of a visitation of the plague.
It's almost always used tongue-in-cheek, a sardonic reference to Trump's oversized ego, the way he speaks of himself as the be-all and end-all of all Donalds, the biggest and the best everything.

In reality, as those who call him "The Donald" with all but audible air quotes, is that he is the be-all and end-all of buffoons.

Again, completely jealous that y'all have the ability to vote him off your island.

--------------------
"Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don't be afraid." -Frederick Buechner

Posts: 11242 | From: a small canyon overlooking the city | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Augustine the Aleut
Shipmate
# 1472

- Posted      Profile for Augustine the Aleut     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

This would allow him to blather on at full volume on the evils of King George III, still a surprisingly live figure for some people. Better yet would be to put him on a few interview shows for good long 30-45 minute one-on-one dialogues. I think he would find it difficult to manage them-- he seems to be the sort of person who prefers sound bites.
Posts: 6236 | From: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

The Donald doesn't do one-on-one interviews. He just shouts over them. Whatever question is asked, however important or relevant it might be, he just shouts over them, repeating his same tired talking points/rallying cries, doubling down on his latest shock-jock hate speech.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bits of the MPs' debate are being shown on US evening news, and we have now learned the expression "wazzock." Thank you.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bib:
The best way to treat Trump is to ignore him totally. In that way he will only be of significance in his own eyes while the rest of us can give attention to people and things that are important.

Rather like ignoring a wasp at a picnic - some people just can't help flapping at them.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to see Trump allowed in, if only so he can be questioned about what promises he gave Alex Salmond to get him to 'call-in' the decision on the golf development in Aberdeenshire.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

Rather like ignoring a wasp at a picnic - some people just can't help flapping at them.
That's the perfect metaphor. Take a glass, pour a little cola in (not diet), and when he crawls in, put a plate over it. Perfect. He can rant away but no one can hear him and you can dispose of him at your leisure.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This:

quote:
Originally posted by Beeswax Altar:

That's more than a sufficient reason not to ban the dick-head.

Of course, he ain't going to get banned. But I suspect the merest threat of it has got him drooling and rubbing his hands with glee and it'll have been as manna from heaven to his supporters.

Nice own goal, folks.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

So what would actually constitute hate speech or sufficient reason to be banned from entering the country?
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In this day and age, banning a speaker from your shores has almost a touch of sympathetic magic about it, as if keeping his physical presence out of the country will somehow prevent anyone from hearing all the offensive things he has to say.

Whereas in reality, The Worst Of Donald Trump is just a mouseclick away for anyone with YouTube access.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
I've said this before, but the UK banned Dutch politician Wilders once, so I guess there is precedent.

The problem from a UK perspective anyway - as you point out above - is that a number of other people have previously been banned from visiting the UK - either entirely, or in the context of a specific visit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_banned_from_entering_the_United_Kingdom

So, assuming Trump is let in then the question would be, to what extent are his views less extreme than someone like Farrakan (or Julien Blanc). Or are we in a situation where government policy is driven on the basis that hate speech against some groups is more permissible than hate speech against others?

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
itsarumdo
Shipmate
# 18174

- Posted      Profile for itsarumdo     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

The problem from a UK perspective anyway - as you point out above - is that a number of other people have previously been banned from visiting the UK - either entirely, or in the context of a specific visit:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_banned_from_entering_the_United_Kingdom

So, assuming Trump is let in then the question would be, to what extent are his views less extreme than someone like Farrakan (or Julien Blanc). Or are we in a situation where government policy is driven on the basis that hate speech against some groups is more permissible than hate speech against others?

I think it's more that banning a potential (!) US president whatever he says is less acceptable than banning a wacko marginal right/left wing nobody.

--------------------
"Iti sapis potanda tinone" Lycophron

Posts: 994 | From: Planet Zog | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The list of banned individuals is kind of fascinating. I am entertained to find Todd Bentley (or Bent Toddley as I believe he was once known around these parts [Big Grin] ) on there. OTOH what on earth did Dmitri Shostakovich do to get banned? [Ultra confused]

Apologies for tangent.

Anglican't
Shipmate
# 15292

- Posted      Profile for Anglican't   Email Anglican't   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If I recall correctly, one of the reasons and possibly the main reason why Wilders was banned was because Lord Ahmed (who is mentioned in that BBC report) threatened to get a rabble to demonstrate outside Parliament. I thought the government's decision was a disgraceful capitulation to mob rule.
Posts: 3613 | From: London, England | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Anglican't: If I recall correctly, one of the reasons and possibly the main reason why Wilders was banned was because Lord Ahmed (who is mentioned in that BBC report) threatened to get a rabble to demonstrate outside Parliament. I thought the government's decision was a disgraceful capitulation to mob rule.
I wasn't in the Netherlands at the time, so I'm not very aware of the circumstances. I haven't expressed a strong opinion in favour or against banning Wilders.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:
After foisting Piers Morgan on the Americans for a while it's only fair that we take someone in return.

Yeah, thanks for that.

As horrifying as the thought of Trump being elected is, if he wins I can't imagine the UK banning the President of the US from visiting.

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:
Originally posted by Anglican't:

Yeah, thanks for that.

As horrifying as the thought of Trump being elected is, if he wins I can't imagine the UK banning the President of the US from visiting.

That's probably the main reason why some MPs were arguing against his being banned. But don't be under the illusion that he has friends here. Even if he wins, President or no, he will have to mature enormously before even those MPs who spoke against banning him will respect him.

Nobody official here has ever respected Berlusconi.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Well, apart from Tony Blair ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
cliffdweller
Shipmate
# 13338

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:

That's the perfect metaphor. Take a glass, pour a little cola in (not diet), and when he crawls in, put a plate over it. Perfect. He can rant away but no one can hear him and you can dispose of him at your leisure.
Yes, yes! Yes, Britain, please be our glass of cola and contain this nasty little insect for us.

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:

Well, apart from Tony Blair ...
Surely even Berlusconi wouldn't mistake Tony Blair's obsequiousness for respect? I can imagine the two of them singing "You're So Vain" to each other.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Teaching the Donald is not, in my opinion, going to change anything about what he says.

...that's assuming he's teachable at all, which I don't think he is. Even if *he* were, I doubt the people who agree with him would be. I've known a few people like this and being willing to listen to other points of view isn't exactly one of their strong points.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can you ban Sarah Palin at the same time? Satan's endorsement of Trump certainly builds The Doorknob's credibility.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016