homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Kerygmania: Epistles and Gospels (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Kerygmania: Epistles and Gospels
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A tangent has developed on the Sermon thread in Purgatory on the relationship between the Epistles and the Gospels. Hopefully, these few quotes will give a flavour of the questions being raised.
quote:
Originally posted by cliffdweller:
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Cliffdweller, thanks - the term doesn't seem to have come up on this thread before. At first glance, I'd go along with much of that.
quote:
So my personal "red-letter" rubric is: the closer a text is (chronologically and otherwise) to the Christ-event, the more authoritative it can be understood to be.

So in your scheme of things do the epistles trump the Gospels, or not? [Two face]
Ah, harder to say, at least with the Pauline epistles-- which are chronologically closer to the Christ-event, but are not (with a few exceptions) the words of Jesus. So there it comes down to how accurate you think the gospels are in recording the words of Jesus. As an evangelical, I've got a high view of inspiration, which I think also fits with a scholarly understanding of the transmission of oral traditions in preliterate societies, so I'm going to say the gospel writers got it right. So, while chronologically they were written later than the epistles, if they are the authentic words and acts of Jesus they are "closer" to the Christ-event.
quote:
The common difficulty I see with Martin's approach, and to a lesser degree with your "red rubric" approach (for slightly different reasons), is that it seems to be broadly acknowledged that the epistles pre-date the Gospels, so as a minimum they were chronologically closer to Jesus, which is genuinely held to be A Good Thing in terms of authenticity/reliability.

And if the epistles do predate the Gospels, then it's a fair assumption that the Gospel writers were aware of and/or had access to the epistles.

Claiming "superior" or "more authentic" content for the content of the gospels over and above the epistles therefore seems to require a degree of special pleading.

It's my perception that in recent times Paul in particular has come "unglued" from the Gospels, rightly or wrongly, largely because of a whole herd of Dead Horse issues ranging from inerrancy to homosexuality. I'm not sure if these are a cause or an effect.

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:
The common difficulty I see with Martin's approach, and to a lesser degree with your "red rubric" approach (for slightly different reasons), is that it seems to be broadly acknowledged that the epistles pre-date the Gospels, so as a minimum they were chronologically closer to Jesus, which is genuinely held to be A Good Thing in terms of authenticity/reliability.

I see this as an issue but not an overwhelming one. The gospels are - apparently - written from within the constituency that experienced the incarnation first hand. The epistles are largely written to communities away from this constituency.

Of course, it is a faith claim that where the gospels disagree with points in the epistles, we'll go with the gospel, thanks-very-much, but then it is also a faith position that all of it is as valid and useful as the rest.

quote:
And if the epistles do predate the Gospels, then it's a fair assumption that the Gospel writers were aware of and/or had access to the epistles.
Well I think in one sense you're arguing against yourself here. If you are saying that there is an observable difference between (some of) the thinking in the epistles and the gospels, then if the epistles were always considered to be as valid as the oral gospel tradition, then why don't the gospels look more like them?

It seems to me to be a fairly reasonable position that either a) the gospel writers didn't particularly rate (all or some of) the epistles or b) they were not familiar with them. The idea that they knew and liked the epistles may be true but I'm not sure how it is supported by the gospel text.

quote:
quote:

Claiming "superior" or "more authentic" content for the content of the gospels over and above the epistles therefore seems to require a degree of special pleading.

Again, the "red letter rubric" could be applied either way-- and has been by those who advocate it. My argument for gospels over Paul (to the extent you need such a rubric-- see below) is based on my belief that the gospel writers, while later than Paul, are providing an authentic record of what Jesus truly said & did. Which would make the gospels "closer to the Christ event" in terms of content if not chronology. Of course, if you don't share my assumption you're not going to share my conclusion.
My apologies if my selective quoting has missed something important in what has been said. I'm sure you can just say it again.

[ 08. April 2017, 08:08: Message edited by: Alan Cresswell ]

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I would start with two observations.

First, the Gospels appear to have been written at a time when the original witnesses were passing on, and it was felt to be important to record their accounts of what Jesus said and did. If this is the case, then there must have been a recognition that these accounts were important, and therefore they were almost certainly being repeated orally when the church met, and may have been written down in now lost documents.

Second, as noted, with a few exceptions the Epistles do not repeat stories of what Jesus said and did. On the few occasions they do (eg: Paul reporting the events of the Last Supper or witnesses to the resurrection) these correspond to the Gospel accounts. The purpose of the Epistles, evidenced by what they actually contain, is different from passing on the stories of what Jesus said and did. Given the evidence above that these stories were important, I think it's a reasonable conclusion that the Epistles didn't need to repeat these because they were already well known by the recipients of these letters.

The Gospels and Epistles serve different purposes. The Gospels ensure that an authentic record of the words and actions of Jesus survive. The Epistles build upon those stories to develop the structure of the Christian faith.

--------------------

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Pace, Eutychus, but does that not assume the epistles were in wide circulation and fairly early on? If we date Mark to the 60s AD, is there a basis to assume that Paul's letters were being reproduced and carried to at least some destinations in the Roman Empire within a few years of their writing. Is that realistic? (More of an honest question than argument.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would think the epistle to the Ephesians would be a perfect example. AIUI, some of the manuscripts lack the specific salutation to the Ephesians and it lacks the personal references that are found in his other letters. I believe there is a train of thought that Ephesians was circulated to the churches in the province of Asia. The Colossian letter references a letter to Laodacia that was to be shared with them as they were to share their letter with Laodacia.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really don't have the scholarship to give your question a good answer, Mamacita, but assuming the Gospel writers were at least close to the church in Jerusalem, and that Paul is recorded in Acts as having been in fairly regular contact with the apostles there, it would surprise me if they didn't have knowledge of at least some of them.

Paul doesn't strike me as the kind of guy to hide his light under a bushel!

I accept the epistles and the gospels have different purposes and belong to different genres, but I'm still dubious about the extent to which, exaggerating for effect, Paul is often written off as hopelessly blinkered by his times and prevailing world views, whereas the Gospels are written in some sort of Tardis that means that their contents are instantly and self-evidently plain to all everywhere at all times.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
is there a basis to assume that Paul's letters were being reproduced and carried to at least some destinations in the Roman Empire within a few years of their writing.

There is evidence from 2 Peter that the letters of Paul were known early on.

--------------------

Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And if the epistles do predate the Gospels
Q
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I'm concerned at least, you're going to have to make your point with more than single letters of the alphabet...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan Cresswell:
The Gospels and Epistles serve different purposes. The Gospels ensure that an authentic record of the words and actions of Jesus survive. The Epistles build upon those stories to develop the structure of the Christian faith.

I would agree with this. The Gospels, particularly the Synoptics, seem to focus mainly on what Jesus did and taught, how he died and that he rose again. Matthew and Luke include Jesus's birth. They provide the evidence, as it were, of the claims made about who Jesus was.

The epistles, it seems to me, are more about the implications of who Jesus was and, in particular, the meaning of his incarnation and his death and resurrection, especially to an infant community of believers.

I see them as complementary of one another.

[ 01. September 2016, 00:35: Message edited by: Nick Tamen ]

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A perfect summary in your two observations Alan.

You initially quote cliffdweller and her evangelical high view of inspiration. I have a post-evangelical low view, which is of course higher [Biased]

I watched Risen on Monday night, I liked its minimalism VERY much. May be that deserves its own Purg thread!

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
You initially quote cliffdweller and her evangelical high view of inspiration. I have a post-evangelical low view, which is of course higher [Biased]

I think "high view" and "low view" are misleading.

To me a "high view" of Scripture does not equate to a literalist or inerrantist view, but to the respect one accords to the texts that have come down to us regardless of how one interprets them.

I hang out with some people who are much more theologically liberal than my evangelical brethren who take the content of the Scriptures much more seriously than the former, even if they come to different conclusions.

Not least, by not making blanket statements such as "Paul was WRONG" or "it's ALL got to go" [Biased]

I concede that some purportedly "high view" evangelicals are as dismissive the other way, though.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Obviously this perceived tension between the Gospels and the Epistles is not a new one, summed up in oft-heard comments such as "Well, Paul changed everything, didn't he?"

Perhaps I could make three brief observations.

One is to remember that we are leaving out the "lynch-pin" book of Acts in all this. It really is the only book which relates the Gospels and the Epistles. Should we be looking in there for possible explanations and reconciliations between the two?

Second is not only to suggest that (some of) the Epistles predate the Gospels but to remind folk that oral "forms" of the Gospels must have been circulating well before the written ones were finally formulated. I suspect that different Christian communities knew different "bits" of the Gospels; I also suspect that truth was mixed with legend. Hence people like Luke needed to organise, assess and set down what was "core" in order to regularise the process, before it was too late.

Leading from the above is to say that eye-witnesses of Jesus were still around in the early days of the Church, in Palestine of not elsewhere. They surely would have been able not only to maintain the authenticity of the Gospel stories but also to help in the process of relating the issues they raised to developing church life.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They ALL privately think that Eutychus.

And hence my trumping high with low as higher. The truth of the Incarnation is inviolate. Everything else is Iron Age reaction.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
They ALL privately think that Eutychus.

"Do not judge another man's sevant..." Or is that one of the bits of Paul that's got to go? [Two face]
quote:
The truth of the Incarnation is inviolate. Everything else is Iron Age reaction.
I'm sorry, I still don't get this ring-fencing of the Incarnation from any form of criticism, deconstruction, or reinterpretation.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The truth of the Incarnation is inviolate. Everything else is Iron Age reaction.

What about the truth of the crucifixion and resurrection?

And how are the epistles Iron Age?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

That's part of the Incarnation.

The still, then (by Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Junia, James, Peter, Jude, Jesus) and now, held sacred texts that the epistles begin to transcend mark the end of the Iron Age. So their thinking is embedded there. As it still is for most Christians to one degree or another.

--------------------
Love wins

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reposted from the original thread:

quote:
Originally posted by fausto:
quote:
quote:

Again, the "red letter rubric" could be applied either way-- and has been by those who advocate it. My argument for gospels over Paul (to the extent you need such a rubric-- see below) is based on my belief that the gospel writers, while later than Paul, are providing an authentic record of what Jesus truly said & did. Which would make the gospels "closer to the Christ event" in terms of content if not chronology. Of course, if you don't share my assumption you're not going to share my conclusion.
It's not at all obvious to me that the Gospels preserve an accurate, unbiased record of the actual historical Jesus free from the embellishments and glosses of intervening oral tradition, and Paul's letters seem more concerned as a general rule with establishing how believers should gather and behave in community than with recording authentic memories of Jesus (whom, after all, Paul had never himself met). However, asking whether Paul or the Gospels offer a more unvarnished and accurate picture of the historical Jesus may also be something of a red herring. I do think the Gospels offer a more mature and fully-developed witness than Paul does to how the early Church came to understand Jesus -- which, for members of the 21st-century Church today, is probably a more appropriate criterion anyway.
In other words, for faith formation purposes, the glosses and embellishments of the early oral tradition surrounding Jesus that are contained in the Gospels are integral to the Gospels' authenticity -- even though, for historical purposes, they muddy the water.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Posts: 407 | From: Boston, Mass. | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Can you expand on this? What do you mean developing the structure of the Christian faith? You don't think the gospels do this?

I think a close look at the gospels and the differences between them show significant theological development in how the stories and words and actions of Jesus are presented and interpreted within them. So they are already developing the structure of the Christian faith.

I heard once from a friend that the epistles were commentary on the gospels. That kind of works except for the above.

I'm not sure we can lump all the epistles together either. The majority of them are Paul's and his main concern is really arguing about how the gentiles should be included. That actually colours a lot . He wouldn't have had to say have the stuff he did and develop half the theology he did if he was speaking to Israel.

But the epistles do seem to stress ethical exhortation and how to live together and how to live with the delay of Christ (for example). So they are a bit post gospelish.

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

- Posted      Profile for fausto   Author's homepage   Email fausto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I think I would start with two observations.

First, the Gospels appear to have been written at a time when the original witnesses were passing on, and it was felt to be important to record their accounts of what Jesus said and did. If this is the case, then there must have been a recognition that these accounts were important, and therefore they were almost certainly being repeated orally when the church met, and may have been written down in now lost documents.

Second, as noted, with a few exceptions the Epistles do not repeat stories of what Jesus said and did. On the few occasions they do (eg: Paul reporting the events of the Last Supper or witnesses to the resurrection) these correspond to the Gospel accounts. The purpose of the Epistles, evidenced by what they actually contain, is different from passing on the stories of what Jesus said and did. Given the evidence above that these stories were important, I think it's a reasonable conclusion that the Epistles didn't need to repeat these because they were already well known by the recipients of these letters.

I agree with the general thrust of what you say, but I have minor quibbles with the fine points.

The Gospels were written anywhere from one to two generations after Jesus's death. They were written by Greek speakers and to a Greek-speaking audience, even though Jesus and his audiences spoke Aramaic. The authors almost certainly were not the original disciples (who very likely were illiterate, at least in Greek) or even more distant eyewitnesses to his ministry, given the passage of time. Some of their sources may have been eyewitness memories of events that occurred three to seven decades earlier, faded and colored by the intervening decades and everything that had occurred and been discussed subsequently -- but most of their source material was probably gleaned from the oral tradition around Jesus's life that had been told and re-told in the churches as hearsay. Each of the four authors, moreover, wrote from his own theological perspective. So I would say that, taken together, they do not so much preserve an accurate portrait of what Jesus actually said and did, as an accurate portrait of the early churches' beliefs about what he said and did, several decades after his death, and after an extended period of robust recruiting of pagan converts (who likewise were not eyewitnesses to Jesus's life, but who nevertheless comprised the main repositories of the oral tradition).

As to Paul, I agree that the primary purpose of the Epistles was to advise and sustain the churches he had planted in diverse locations around the Empire. As such, they contain lots of admonitions as to governance and behavior, but relatively little biographical information about Jesus himself. Since Paul never knew Jesus personally, it is safe to presume that anything he said about Jesus's life was similarly gleaned from circulating hearsay. I suspect the reason that the Epistles contain so little biographical information is that the churches to whom Paul was writing already knew all the same oral anecdotes and legends that Paul would have drawn on, so the guidance they needed from him lay in other directions.

--------------------
"Truth did not come into the world naked, but it came in types and images. The world will not receive truth in any other way." Gospel of Philip, Logion 72

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:
quote:

Can you expand on this? What do you mean developing the structure of the Christian faith? You don't think the gospels do this?
Clearly in selecting what to include, and how those are arranged and in some cases embellished, the Gospels do present more than just a colleciton of stories about what Jesus said and did. They include the results of decades of developing Christian theology implicitely within that process. They, John in particular, present a combination of (probably) embellished stories about and words of Jesus and the theology that the Church had developed surrounding those narratives.

The foundation of the Christian faith is Christ Jesus Himself. And, therefore the stories we have of what He said and did are where we start in building the faith upon that foundation. Acts gives various accounts of how the earliest believers started the process of fitting the material they had together into a structure. The Epistles add to the picture we have of the development of that structure. In both Acts and the Epistles we see the struggles the earliest believers had to work through the implications of what Christ had done.

The Gospels were written after that early work to develop the faith (though, of course, that was a work that was incomplete and continues today), and are written very much in the light of the faith that had been developed. But, without Acts and the Epistles we probably wouldn't be aware of that. Jesus saying that it isn't what goes into a man that makes him unclean is a much more important statement because we know of the amount of discussion the Church had had over whether or not Christians should accept Jewish dietary regulations. Jesus spending time with Samaritans and Roman Centurions are much more important stories knowing how much debate there had been about whether the faith could include Gentiles.

You said that the Epistles are a commentary on the Gospels. And, I think that is largely correct - I would probably say a commentary on the stories that were eventually brought together in the Gospels. Somewhat annoyingly for modern readers the authors of the Epistles didn't see the need to repeat the stories they were commenting on, but I'm sure that must mean that those stories were very well known to the people they were writing to.

But, I also think that it's equally true to say that the Gospels are, in part, commentaries on the Epistles.

--------------------

Sarah G
Shipmate
# 11669

- Posted      Profile for Sarah G     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sarah G:
quote:
And if the epistles do predate the Gospels
Q
quote:
As far as I'm concerned at least, you're going to have to make your point with more than single letters of the alphabet...

My apologies. I'm aware of a tendency to go on a bit in my posts, and I was aiming for brevity.

It is normally taken as read that the Gospels come significantly after Paul's time. However things may be more complex.

Q is a hypothetical document that most scholars think was used as one of the sources for the synoptic Gospels. Being hypothetical, there would be a considerable doubt about its date, but 40-50AD would be widely accepted. As such parts of the Gospels may well predate Paul.

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is also likely that much of the material in the gospels was handed down through oral tradition long before it was written down. In the days before literacy was widespread and writing materials were scarce, people repeated stories to each other without writing them down.

Studies have shown that in such a society, stories are handed down with far greater accuracy than they would be nowadays.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'd agree with that - much more than with the existence of any written source document such as Q.

As I said above, my feeling is that different Christian communities possessed different (but overlapping) oral collections of Gospel stories, and that the Gospel writers wanted to collect, authenticate and standardise them before too much time had passed and all eyewitnesses had died.

That is not to deny that the choice of Gospel stories to be set down reflected "live" contemporary issues in the Church - as Alan has indeed said above.

[ 01. September 2016, 22:05: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by Moo:

Studies have shown that in such a society, stories are handed down with far greater accuracy than they would be nowadays.

This is a popular belief, especially among amateur scriptural apologists, but recent scholarly anthropological research suggests it is not true.

It indeed can be true to a greater degree in illiterate societies, but only in special cases -- where there is already a prevailing, shared sacred tradition and a body of elders charged with preserving the tradition against creeping errors and innovations (precisely because such societies recognized the difficulty of telling exactly the same story exactly the same way more than once, even by the same storyteller). Except in such extraordinarily structured and culturally essential circumstances, however, orally transmitted information in illiterate societies tends to be just as fluid and mutable as it is in literate societies.

The nascent Christian churches of the first century lacked both the kind of established, canonical ancient legends and the kind of institutional mnemonic safeguards and practices that would prevent changes from being introduced through oral transmission in fully illiterate societies. Moreover, even though a large majority of the early Christians were probably illiterate, not all of them were, and neither the Jewish nor Greek cultures within which their churches formed were illiterate. There is simply no evidence to suggest that the kind of practices that illiterate societies traditionally employ to protect culturally important information against intentional or unintentional alteration were present in the early Church.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was one of Walter Ong's students (Orality and Literacy; The Presence of the Word). My understanding is that there is a third kind of culture besides the oral and the literate, which we may call the scribal or craft-literate culture. This would be a culture where writing is well-established and a decent percentage of the population is able to read, write, or both; yet the majority are either illiterate or almost so (in particular, the women) and access to written materials is very limited for everybody, including those who can read.

In such a culture, reading and writing become a job--you have scribes, who handle the reading and writing of documents for ordinary people, who access the material in texts almost completely by hearing it read aloud--often in a large group (for example, Paul's letters read to the churches).

In a culture like this, you can't get too dogmatic. The written texts exist and they inform the oral transmission of a story; they tend to prevent it from changing as much as it probably would if no written texts existed. And yet the written texts themselves are likely to be descended from oral texts, and they are themselves intended for oral performance, and they may suffer corruption/cross pollination from oral sources.

Purely oral societies have certain safeguards such as formulas they use repeatedly in the same situation (e.g. Homer's "wine dark sea"). They also tend to have better trained memories. Literate societies also have safeguards such as the Jewish strictures on how one copies the Torah. The early church is likely to have had safeguards on the stories from both sources, being an in-between craft-literate society with deep Jewish roots. I really would not assume the text altered very much.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
That's part of the Incarnation.

The still, then (by Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Paul, Junia, James, Peter, Jude, Jesus) and now, held sacred texts that the epistles begin to transcend mark the end of the Iron Age. So their thinking is embedded there. As it still is for most Christians to one degree or another.

I still don't understand how you can be so sure that the Pauline epistles require deconstruction such that they are incontrovertibly and henceforth "wrong" for all subsequent time - AND be convinced that the Incarnation and the narratives of it are, albeit deconstructible, never going to be "wrong".

Unless it is by having the same kind of belief in supernatural preservation of integrity for the Gospels that more conservative Christians would also extend to the rest of the NT, Paul included.

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

This is a popular belief, especially among amateur scriptural apologists, but recent scholarly anthropological research suggests it is not true.
I would like to know the details of this recent scholarly anthropological research. Were they researching present-day societies? If so, I doubt that the few modern societies that are illiterate are nearly as sophisticated as that of ancient Palestine.

If they are trying to reconstruct the conditions that prevailed two thousand centuries ago, I want to know in detail how they reached their conclusions.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
The written texts exist and they inform the oral transmission of a story; they tend to prevent it from changing as much as it probably would if no written texts existed. And yet the written texts themselves are likely to be descended from oral texts, and they are themselves intended for oral performance, and they may suffer corruption/cross pollination from oral sources.

Purely oral societies have certain safeguards such as formulas they use repeatedly in the same situation (e.g. Homer's "wine dark sea"). They also tend to have better trained memories. Literate societies also have safeguards such as the Jewish strictures on how one copies the Torah. The early church is likely to have had safeguards on the stories from both sources, being an in-between craft-literate society with deep Jewish roots. I really would not assume the text altered very much.

I disagree that the earliest Christians enjoyed such protections. The early church was comprised entirely of converts -- and more pagans than Jews, thanks to Paul, who couldn't help bringing vestiges of their old pagan religious ways of thinking into their new faith -- almost all of whom who had no direct personal contact with or knowledge of Jesus during his lifetime. The biographical information about him was being passed around entirely by word of mouth, in piecemeal fashion, and had not yet become fixed, much less collected and written down (the Gospels represent the earliest surviving result of the efforts to construct a written record), and the church communities that were being established were too new and immature to have developed the kind of formal mnemonic structures and practices that protect against alteration of critically important orally communicated information. The purpose of Paul's epistles was to provide guidance on the most challenging issues for the governance and operation of these newly planted churches, so the absence of any such instruction in the epistles about the transmission of biographical information about Jesus is further evidence that no such protections existed.

Moreover, the existence of non-canonical literature such as the "New Testament Apocrypha" and the Nag Hammadi library clearly demonstrate that that many contrasting -- and often contradictory -- stories and legends and theologies were circulating among the early Christians at the same time as the canonical Gospels. The non-canonical documents draw from the same oral source traditions as the canonical ones, but they demonstrate how diverse rather than consistent those traditions in fact were.

We do see the more pronounced effect of such protections in transmission of written documents after they were set down. The many surviving early manuscripts of the same documents are relatively consistent; for example, copies of (say) Mark or Luke separated by several hundred years in age are nevertheless more consistent with each other than with the other Gospels. Yet the numerous discrepancies among early manuscripts also show that even the more formal written scribal traditions were not foolproof safeguards against inadvertent or even intentional alteration.

The orthodox written canon did not begin to coalesce until the late 2nd century and did not take its final form until the 4th. The Gospels are not necessarily accurate factual biographies of Jesus, but they are an accurate witness of the mature 4th century Church as to which of the late 1st century (and subsequent) beliefs about Jesus were deemed to be most consistent with 4th century consensus theology.

Which, it may be argued, in any event is a more meaningful criterion of authority for the 21st century follower of the "Christ of faith" than an accurate factual biography of the "historical Jesus" would be.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
The written texts exist and they inform the oral transmission of a story; they tend to prevent it from changing as much as it probably would if no written texts existed. And yet the written texts themselves are likely to be descended from oral texts, and they are themselves intended for oral performance, and they may suffer corruption/cross pollination from oral sources.

I disagree that the earliest Christians enjoyed such protections. The early church was comprised entirely of converts -- and more pagans than Jews, thanks to Paul, who couldn't help bringing vestiges of their old pagan religious ways of thinking into their new faith -- almost all of whom who had no direct personal contact with or knowledge of Jesus during his lifetime. The biographical information about him was being passed around entirely by word of mouth, in piecemeal fashion, and had not yet become fixed, much less collected and written down (the Gospels represent the earliest surviving result of the efforts to construct a written record), and the church communities that were being established were too new and immature to have developed the kind of formal mnemonic structures and practices that protect against alteration of critically important orally communicated information. The purpose of Paul's epistles was to provide guidance on the most challenging issues for the governance and operation of these newly planted churches, so the absence of any such instruction in the epistles about the transmission of biographical information about Jesus is further evidence that no such protections existed.

Moreover, the existence of non-canonical literature such as the "New Testament Apocrypha" and the Nag Hammadi library clearly demonstrate that that many contrasting -- and often contradictory -- stories and legends and theologies were circulating among the early Christians at the same time as the canonical Gospels. The non-canonical documents draw from the same oral source traditions as the canonical ones, but they demonstrate how diverse rather than consistent those traditions in fact were.

We do see the more pronounced effect of such protections in transmission of written documents after they were set down. The many surviving early manuscripts of the same documents are relatively consistent; for example, copies of (say) Mark or Luke separated by several hundred years in age are nevertheless more consistent with each other than with the other Gospels. Yet the numerous discrepancies among early manuscripts also show that even the more formal written scribal traditions were not foolproof safeguards against inadvertent or even intentional alteration.

The orthodox written canon did not begin to coalesce until the late 2nd century and did not take its final form until the 4th. The Gospels are not necessarily accurate factual biographies of Jesus, but they are an accurate witness of the mature 4th century Church as to which of the late 1st century (and subsequent) beliefs about Jesus were deemed to be most consistent with 4th century consensus theology.

Which, it may be argued, in any event is a more meaningful criterion of authority for the 21st century follower of the "Christ of faith" than an accurate factual biography of the "historical Jesus" would be.

I'm going to have to wait until a more leisured moment to reply to most of your post, but I'd like to note now that the early church was not in fact composed entirely of converts--at least, they certainly would have disputed that with you vigorously. The earliest church was composed entirely of Jews who believed their Messiah had come and therefore considered themselves to be following precisely in the path their fathers began, following the God of Israel. They continued to take part in the corporate worship of Israel (witness Acts) and did not consider themselves to have converted to anything. Moreover, the Gentiles didn't come into the earliest church for quite a long time--and it was Peter, not Paul, who (humanly speaking) opened that door decisively with the conversion of Cornelius and his household.

Given these facts, the earliest church no doubt DID inherit all the Jewish safeguards against the corruption of sacred texts, whether Old or New Testament, written or oral. They would have been their ordinary and habitual mode of operation. And being convinced that Jesus was the Messiah, and in fact God incarnate, they would certainly have taken great care with the oral transmission of the facts about his life and work--these were, after all, the basis of their own salvation. Once these were written down (first century, judging by the historical evidence), they would have applied the same written-text safeguards they were accustomed to applying in the case of OT material. That was just how they rolled.

More about canon and variants later, but for the moment I'll just note that there is an astonishing degree of uniformity among the manuscripts of the New Testament books--and yes, I am a (very minor) textual scholar.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
quote:
quote:

I would like to know the details of this recent scholarly anthropological research. Were they researching present-day societies? If so, I doubt that the few modern societies that are illiterate are nearly as sophisticated as that of ancient Palestine.

If they are trying to reconstruct the conditions that prevailed two thousand centuries ago, I want to know in detail how they reached their conclusions.

Moo

The chairs of the anthropology department at the U. of Kansas and the folklore department at the U. of North Carolina are both college classmates and personal friends of mine. They haven't pointed me to specific research articles, but they have assured me that it is has been the consensus opinion of anthropology scholars over at least the past 50 years that there is no difference between literate and illiterate societies in the communication of oral information, except in cases where formal social structures exist for the preservation of especially revered cultural histories and legends. They also agreed, when I asked them specifically, that the first-century Christians lacked both the kind of fixed oral traditions and the kind of mnemonic practices to preserve them that can be found in pre-literate societies.

Professor Bart Ehrman of the U. of North Carolina is a prominent contemporary scriptural scholar who shares this view. His recent book, Jesus Before the Gospels, is an in-depth treatment of the role of memory and oral communication in the formation of the early churches' image of Jesus prior to the composition of the Gospels, and how it informed the Gospel authors. My understanding is that he draws heavily on, and cites extensively from, recent scholarship in the fields of anthropology, psychology, and forensic science as to how memories are formed, preserved, and transmitted, and on the reliability and consistency of eyewitness testimony, but I haven't read it yet. I hope to soon, though, and it would be especially relevant to this discussion.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
I'm going to have to wait until a more leisured moment to reply to most of your post, but I'd like to note now that the early church was not in fact composed entirely of converts--at least, they certainly would have disputed that with you vigorously. The earliest church was composed entirely of Jews who believed their Messiah had come and therefore considered themselves to be following precisely in the path their fathers began, following the God of Israel. They continued to take part in the corporate worship of Israel (witness Acts) and did not consider themselves to have converted to anything. Moreover, the Gentiles didn't come into the earliest church for quite a long time--and it was Peter, not Paul, who (humanly speaking) opened that door decisively with the conversion of Cornelius and his household.

Given these facts, the earliest church no doubt DID inherit all the Jewish safeguards against the corruption of sacred texts, whether Old or New Testament, written or oral. They would have been their ordinary and habitual mode of operation. And being convinced that Jesus was the Messiah, and in fact God incarnate, they would certainly have taken great care with the oral transmission of the facts about his life and work--these were, after all, the basis of their own salvation. Once these were written down (first century, judging by the historical evidence), they would have applied the same written-text safeguards they were accustomed to applying in the case of OT material. That was just how they rolled.

More about canon and variants later, but for the moment I'll just note that there is an astonishing degree of uniformity among the manuscripts of the New Testament books--and yes, I am a (very minor) textual scholar.

Perhaps it is a semantic quibble, but I would call former Jews who began also to worship Jesus "converts" to Christianity fro Judaism, even while they retained many of their Jewish practices. Nevertheless, by the same token, we may safely suppose that many of the Gentile "converts" also retained vestiges of their prior religious sensibilities and suppositions even as they adopted their new faith. So everyone was a "convert" in that sense, even the Apostles. The newly emerging Christian faith drew syncretically on both the vestigial Jewish and pagan religious sensibilities of its members, and formed its apprehensions of Jesus through those lenses. By the time that apprehension was eventually put to writing in the form of the canonical Gospels, it was written exclusively by, and to, Greek speakers -- most of whom did indeed represent a pagan rather than Jewish cultural orientation.

In any event I am not arguing that the canonical texts come down to us in radically corrupted form. I am instead looking at the 35-to 70-year period between Jesus's death and the writing of the Gospels, during which the source material for the Gospels was being formed, and arguing that the eventual written record represents more accurately a sample of late-first-century memories and legends about Jesus than a reliable factual biography.

I am also arguing that, for religious as opposed to historical purposes, the legends of the early faith community as recorded and passed down through the centuries should be taken to be more authoritative and reliable than any accurate historical biography could be. In theology-speak, this would be because the mature Church supposes that the Holy Spirit brooded over and inspired the nascent Church as well as the Gospel authors to guide their understanding. The portrait of Jesus painted in the Gospels is necessarily subjective, but so are faith and belief. The subjective "Christ of Faith" is the proper concern of the Christian religion, not the objective "historical Jesus".

[ 02. September 2016, 13:46: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
quote:
quote:

I would like to know the details of this recent scholarly anthropological research.
I tried to answer your question a couple of posts ago, but sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, so let me pose it right back to you. What particular "studies have shown that in such a society, stories are handed down with far greater accuracy than they would be nowadays"?

My anthropology/folklore professor friends weren't aware of any such studies, except in the context of culturally essential legends supported by dominant social structures and practices that function specifically as safeguards against alteration. (The studies they mentioned described some of those structures and practices and how they functioned.) More pointedly, they were skeptical of the applicability of Walter Ong's work to the circumstances under which the source material for the Gospels would have taken shape -- precisely because such essential legends were not yet firmly established (that establishment was accomplished by the writing and selection of the NT canon) and the necessary supportive structures and practices for the preservation of oral tradition did not exist. (Until I asked them and Lamb Chop mentioned it, I was not familiar with Ong's work myself, but perhaps Lamb Chopped can add more color and/or a contrasting view.)

--------------------

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

quote:
quote:

Moo

The chairs of the anthropology department at the U. of Kansas and the folklore department at the U. of North Carolina are both college classmates and personal friends of mine. They haven't pointed me to specific research articles, but they have assured me that it is has been the consensus opinion of anthropology scholars over at least the past 50 years that there is no difference between literate and illiterate societies in the communication of oral information, except in cases where formal social structures exist for the preservation of especially revered cultural histories and legends.
My field is linguistics, and this topic is an area where linguistics and anthropology overlap. What makes you believe that there were no formal social structures in the early church for the preservation of revered cultural histories? People who had been present when Jesus taught or healed would have told their fellow Christians about it. These stories would immediately have become especially revered cultural histories.

I still want to know what specific cultures were studied.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
What makes you believe that there were no formal social structures in the early church for the preservation of revered cultural histories? People who had been present when Jesus taught or healed would have told their fellow Christians about it. These stories would immediately have become especially revered cultural histories.

No offense, but that's nonsense. It is a matter of unquestioned historical fact that it took 400 years or so for the early Christians to reach an orthodox consensus as to what they believed about Jesus, to canonize an orthodox collection of writings consistent with their beliefs, and to purge all the contradictory beliefs and writings (and believers) that had sprung up in the meantime. During that time not only the canonical Gospels were set to paper out of the emerging oral (proto-)tradition, but also dozens of others, many of which were starkly contradictory in narrative, in theology, or both. We know what many of those contradictory beliefs and writings were, because they survive to this -- a few as actively held dissenting beliefs (such as Arianism, modalism, universalism, Gnosticism, and Pelagianism), even more in the documented historical record. We know who many of the heterodox believers were, and that they had been members and often leaders in the Church in good standing up until the point when they were eventually anathemized.

The idea that during the earliest decades there existed only a single, commonly accepted, uniform oral tradition that was preserved by institutional and social conventions against corruption or innovation is simply counterfactual. If that were true, there could never have arisen such a diverse variety of views, nor fully-developed orthodox theological concepts such as the Trinity and substitutionary atonement, nor the need to spend so much energy the first four centuries developing and implementing standard ideas of orthodoxy and heresy.

The sort of institutional and social safeguards you speak of did eventually arise, though. The selection and rejection of texts for the canon and the definition and formal suppression of "heretical" teaching was the process by which it happened -- but that process did not begin in earnest until long after both the canonical and non-canonical Gospels had drawn on the diverse and obviously inconsistent oral information then circulation. It was simply not present in the early decades of the Church before the canonical Gospels were written. The canon (including the four canonical gospels) is the safeguarded product of a fourth-century consensus of belief, not a first-century collection of well-preserved facts.

quote:
I still want to know what specific cultures were studied.

I already told you, I don't have the specific studies to cite, since I am only relying on casual conversation with friends who are professors, but I did refer you to Bart Ehrman's recent book. I haven't read it yet, but I understand that he draws extensively from recent scholarship. Whether you agree with him or not, I am sure you would find it a rewarding read in itself as well as helpful reference to additional scholarly research -- that is, if you are genuinely interested in learning more about the historical accuracy of the Gospels and not just defending an unsupported assertion in an online debate.

Speaking of which, I in turn also still want to know which studies (if any) show that illiterate societies routinely transmit oral information more accurately than we do today. I doubt it's true except under very specific and highly structured conditions. To the extent that it is true, the documented historical evidence of the early Church strongly indicates that such conditions could not in fact have been present for the first few centuries.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
My field is linguistics, and this topic is an area where linguistics and anthropology overlap.

Okay, so one of Ehrman's simpler points is that Jesus and his disciples spoke Aramaic, but the Gospels were written in Greek by Greek speakers. That all by itself is an argument against, rather than for, care for precision and accuracy within the early Church.

A specific example of linguistic evidence against accurate historicity that he cites is the dialogue in John 3 between Jesus and Nicodemus concerning being "born again". The Greek word translated into English as "again" is anothen, which (Ehrman says) can ambiguously mean either "again" or "from above". In John's telling, Nicodemus is confused by the ambiguity and Jesus clarifies it. However, in Aramaic the word for "again" has no such double meaning. Since Jesus and Nicodemus were both Jewish rabbis who would have spoken to each other in Aramaic rather than Greek (Ehrman argues), the ambiguity and need for clarification would not have arisen; and the tale must therefore have originated as a later legend among Greek-speaking Christian converts, rather than as an authentic memory of an actual event in Jesus's life.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
My field is linguistics, and this topic is an area where linguistics and anthropology overlap.

Okay, so one of Ehrman's simpler points is that Jesus and his disciples spoke Aramaic, but the Gospels were written in Greek by Greek speakers. That all by itself is an argument against, rather than for, care for precision and accuracy within the early Church.

A specific example of linguistic evidence against accurate historicity that he cites is the dialogue in John 3 between Jesus and Nicodemus concerning being "born again". The Greek word translated into English as "again" is anothen, which (Ehrman says) can ambiguously mean either "again" or "from above". In John's telling, Nicodemus is confused by the ambiguity and Jesus clarifies it. However, in Aramaic the word for "again" has no such double meaning. Since Jesus and Nicodemus were both Jewish rabbis who would have spoken to each other in Aramaic rather than Greek (Ehrman argues), the ambiguity and need for clarification would not have arisen; and the tale must therefore have originated as a later legend among Greek-speaking Christian converts, rather than as an authentic memory of an actual event in Jesus's life.

But Nick's confusion wasn't about the meaning of the word. He doesn't ask, "do you mean from above or again?" He asks, "How can a man enter into his mother's womb a second time?" -- He KNEW Jesus meant "again" and wondered how it was possible. Your "evidence" is no such thing. It's manufacturing a difficulty where none exists.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

And, even if it did exist, why would the specific reference be no more than a Johannine insertion by way of explanation? One doesn't have to reject the entire story as "legendary".
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
quote:
quote:

But Nick's confusion wasn't about the meaning of the word. He doesn't ask, "do you mean from above or again?" He asks, "How can a man enter into his mother's womb a second time?" -- He KNEW Jesus meant "again" and wondered how it was possible. Your "evidence" is no such thing. It's manufacturing a difficulty where none exists.
To the contrary, Ehrman's point is that if Jesus really had been speaking in Aramaic to Nicodemus, he would not have chosen the unambiguous Aramaic word for "again" in the first place, since that is not what he meant; he would instead have used the equally unambiguous word for "from above". The ambiguity and need for clarification can only occur in Greek, not in Aramaic.

Anyway, it's only a single example of a more general linguistic inconsistency between Greek and Aramaic that arises repeatedly. Of course, you don't have to agree with Ehrman, whether generally or with this specific example. Nevertheless, for this and other reasons I am persuaded that biographical precision was not nearly as great a concern in the oral culture of the earliest years of the Church as trying to determine and express what Jesus's enduring relevance was, and how to remember and honor him. I think the gospels that were eventually received into the canon (and especially John) were received while others were rejected not so much for satisfying a concern for accuracy as a concern for meaning.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
And, even if it did exist, why would the specific reference be no more than a Johannine insertion by way of explanation? One doesn't have to reject the entire story as "legendary".

It might well be a Johannine gloss as opposed to a total fabrication; we have no way of knowing. But either way, it would not reflect a paramount concern for the authentic telling and retelling of accurate historical details without alteration.

But even if it were indeed a total fabrication and utterly "legendary", that would not necessarily be a reason to reject it. It is still affirmed by every branch and sect of the Church in the official canon, and is still ostensibly "inspired" is some meaningful way by the Holy Spirit, after all. What it might well mean, though, is that it has more value as an allegory or teaching tale than as factual history.

[ 03. September 2016, 14:34: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I fail to see how an ambiguity in Greek means Jesus was ambiguous in Aramaic. Are you saying that there is am unambiguous Greek word the translator might have used, but thru foolishly used the ambiguous one? Or is it just unfortunate that there was no way in Greek to unambiguously translate the unambiguous Aramaic word?

The problem with all such analysis is that it is quite clear from context which of the two possible meanings of the Greek word is meant. Nicodemus' follow-up question makes it crystal clear what and what Nicodemus took Jesus to mean.

tl;dr--What's the problem?

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
I fail to see how an ambiguity in Greek means Jesus was ambiguous in Aramaic. Are you saying that there is am unambiguous Greek word the translator might have used, but thru foolishly used the ambiguous one? Or is it just unfortunate that there was no way in Greek to unambiguously translate the unambiguous Aramaic word?

The problem with all such analysis is that it is quite clear from context which of the two possible meanings of the Greek word is meant. Nicodemus' follow-up question makes it crystal clear what and what Nicodemus took Jesus to mean.

tl;dr--What's the problem?

Agreed, John's Greek is quite clear; that's not the problem. The problem is that Jesus and Nicodemus wouldn't have conversed in Greek in the first place. They were two Palestinian Jewish rabbis conversing in their own native Aramaic.

What Ehrman (not I) is saying is that the conversation that John describes in Greek could not have occurred between two native Aramaic speakers, because an equivalent word with the same dual meaning on which the conversation in Greek hinges does not even exist in Aramaic. Nicodemus's puzzlement ("how can someone be born again?") and Jesus's clarification ("no, born from above, born of the Spirit") as narrated in the story rest entirely on Nicodemus misapprehending the Greek word anothen, for which there is no exact Aramaic equivalent, to mean "again", whereas Jesus intended its other connotation, "from above". A fluent Aramaic speaker like Jesus would have avoided the confusion entirely, simply by using the word for "from above" rather than the word for "again" in the first place. John's account therefore is extremely unlikely to be an accurate transcript of any such conversation that originally took place. That doesn't mean it ought to be rejected as entirely false, but it does mean it was included in the canon for reasons other than its historical accuracy.

[ 04. September 2016, 02:12: Message edited by: fausto ]

--------------------

Nigel M
Shipmate
# 11256

- Posted      Profile for Nigel M   Email Nigel M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A fairly recent approach to the question of orality in the ancient near east is that of Performance Criticism, where the oral and the written merge together. This approach seeks to move away from the older approach that divided oral from written as though they were poles apart. The more recent approach is argued for in a short book by Robert Miller, Oral Tradition in Ancient Israel. An earlier and probably better introduction to this field is by Niditch, Oral World and Written Word: Ancient Israelite Literature.

This approach has some merits, I think. It exposes the flawed logic behind one idea at least: that just because a written work may have been written late after an event, this does not mean that the content was invented late after an event. I’m sure I am not the only one who, during a discussion about the historicity of, say, some of Jesus’ teachings, have been countered with “Ah, but that comes in John’s Gospel and that was written decades after the event” - with the usually unspoken albeit bizarrely held non sequitur that “Ergo, it was made up”. John’s so-called “high christology” is mirrored in Paul’s letters and in such a way that it is taken as read – mentioned in passing as a given, not in need or supporting argument – which does rather undermine the Late = Not Historical assumption.

Paul himself was keen to make the point that what he was preaching was not really new. Quite apart from the plethora of direct quotes and allusions to OT texts in this regard, he also makes the explicit statement that was a conduit of what could be called tradition: “What I received I passed on to you” (e.g., 1 Cor. 11:23 and 15:3). This is to reinforce his point that he has faithfully transmitted something he had received, with no additions; he was giving it exactly as he got it. He was doing this because he wanted his audience to do the same: stand fast by the word that was received from Paul (1 Cor. 15:1f).

What this suggests is that there was a fluidity in the near east between the written and the oral. One fed off another and reinforced the other. A written text could well imply a good tradition behind it.

Posts: 2826 | From: London, UK | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Saying Jesus meant "from above" is an interpolation.

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

Let's take John 3 as an example, since we're already discussing it. And, for the sake of the argument I'm going to assume it's based on an actual conversation between Jesus and Nicodemus.

As noted, that would be in Aramaic, and there is no ambiguity about what the words used meant.

Jesus: "To see the Kingdom you must be born again"
Nic: "How? I can't go back into my mothers womb"
Clearly, no thought that this might mean "from above", which would be possible in Greek.
Jesus: "You must be born of the Spirit"
Still nothing to indicate a "from above" meaning of a clever play on words from the Greek - unless one takes the alternate translation that some versions offer which uses the Greek
Nic: "How?"
Jesus: a long monologue on the nature of the Spirit
That, IMO, makes the alterate translation of "from above" unlikely. This long monologuee on the nature of the Spirit follows naturally on from "be born of the Spirit", but not from "be born from above".

All of which tends to suggest, to me at least, that this is a story that originated from Aramaic, and hence is based on actual words of Jesus, but has been adapted to expound a theological message. John is much more obvious in this than the Synoptics, but I believe that all the Gospels adapt the stories to clarify and expand on the theological message rather than simply record events.

This story is, of course, unique to John. There are no real parallel in the Synoptics, even the main themes of being born again/of the Spirit are absent in the Synoptics. Which would, on it's own, suggest that this was a story unique to the community John was writing from (though we can't discount the possibility of the Synoptic authors knowing the story and deciding to omit it from their Gospels). But, it is a story that develops a theme that is present in the Epistles.

Although Paul doesn't use the "born again" language, he frequently uses the language of resurrection - that we had been dead, but in Christ we are alive (not so much born again, as born for the first time). And, like the story of Nicodemus that is linked strongly with believing in and trusting Christ, and renewal by the Spirit.

Peter, on the other hand, does actually use the "born again" language (see 1 Peter 1, in particular verses 3 and 23). Does this mean that Peter is aware of this story (or, something similar) in which Jesus uses the language of being "born again", and yet Paul is unaware of this story?

John is clearly not inventing a new theology here. What he is doing is taking the existing theology expressed by Peter, and the renewal by the Spirit through belief in Christ expressed by Paul, and putting it in a narrative, in this case a discussion between Jesus and Nicodemus.

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

quote:
All of which tends to suggest, to me at least, that this is a story that originated from Aramaic, and hence is based on actual words of Jesus, but has been adapted to expound a theological message. John is much more obvious in this than the Synoptics, but I believe that all the Gospels adapt the stories to clarify and expand on the theological message rather than simply record events.

I'd go along with that.
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me too. There is no inherent reason in the Greek to see Jesus making a play on words. It is not clear to me what the NRSV's rationale is for translating anothen differently in different places in John 3. The dialogue works perfectly well using "again" throughout. If I understand Bart Ehrman's point correctly, it depends on establishing within the text that Jesus intends to play on two possible meanings of anothen, in order to show that the text was composed in Greek, in order to show that it is a later addition and does not (accurately?) reflect Jesus' teaching. I think the possibility of a play on words is too weak to sustain the conclusion.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
quote:

I'd go along with that.
So would I, and I'm not trying to suggest much more than that. All I'm trying to suggest is that the necessary implication is that the Gospel authors, as well as the oral sources from which they drew, were more concerned with memorializing Jesus subjectively as a religious hero than objectively as a factual biography. That subjectivity is evident in the texts, and can safely be presumed to have existed in the antecedent oral culture as well. What we have in the Gospels is not rigorously preserved historical fact but admirers' perceptions -- which in many particulars is likely to have been rooted in actual events but later exaggerated or embellished, and perhaps in some cases even invented.

As an analogy, consider the difference between the factual history and the subjective popular memory of a more recent American hero, Abraham Lincoln. If you were to ask only 100 years after his death who he had been, a participant in the Civil Rights movement of the 1960's would probably have described him as a champion and martyr in the movement for racial equality. But if you instead read the transcripts of his debates with Stephen Douglas, you would find him actually saying that the black race was inherently inferior by nature and should never be deemed equal. Similarly, what the Gospels memorialize is the hagiography of Jesus as he was perceived by his admirers, not a disinterested factual transcript.

As to 1 Peter, most scholars today do not think it was actually written by Peter, but rather, that it was written some time later (possibly during the persecutions of Domitian) and pseudonymously attributed to him. It is therefore also probably evidence of somewhat later subjective perceptions rather than an authentic real-time record of Peter himself; indeed, it seems unlikely that Peter himself would have known how to write, much less in Greek.

"Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled...." Acts 4:13 [KJV]

--------------------

Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

quote:
As to 1 Peter, most scholars today do not think it was actually written by Peter, but rather, that it was written some time later ...
it seems unlikely that Peter himself would have known how to write, much less in Greek.

Though, within the context of a thread discussing how the Epistles and Gospels relate the exact authorship of any document (whether Epistle or Gospel) is not directly relevant. Though, a late Epistle may be expected to draw upon a larger number of stories of Jesus (assuming that over time each community slowly learnt more and more stories), and for very late Epistles may even draw on the Gospels themselves. So, timing of the Epistles relative to the Gospels may be relevant.

It is, of course, totally irrelevant whether or not a given author could write Greek. He simply needed to be able to speak Greek inorder to dictate to a scribe (and, any of the people who preached outside Judea would be able to speak Greek, otherwise they wouldn't be able to communicate the gospel). It is evident that Paul was only marginally able to write, making a point on the few occasions in his letters that he writes with his own hand how bad his handwriting is.

--------------------

fausto
Shipmate
# 13737

quote:
quote:
As to 1 Peter, most scholars today do not think it was actually written by Peter, but rather, that it was written some time later ...
it seems unlikely that Peter himself would have known how to write, much less in Greek.

Though, within the context of a thread discussing how the Epistles and Gospels relate the exact authorship of any document (whether Epistle or Gospel) is not directly relevant. Though, a late Epistle may be expected to draw upon a larger number of stories of Jesus (assuming that over time each community slowly learnt more and more stories), and for very late Epistles may even draw on the Gospels themselves. So, timing of the Epistles relative to the Gospels may be relevant.

It is, of course, totally irrelevant whether or not a given author could write Greek. He simply needed to be able to speak Greek inorder to dictate to a scribe (and, any of the people who preached outside Judea would be able to speak Greek, otherwise they wouldn't be able to communicate the gospel). It is evident that Paul was only marginally able to write, making a point on the few occasions in his letters that he writes with his own hand how bad his handwriting is.

We have wandered rather far down Tangent Lane on this point, but I get the sense that you and I would be in broad agreement that (1) the Gospels draw on subjectively remembered and retold oral hearsay circulating among Jesus's admirers, few if any of whom had direct first-hand knowledge of the actual events they were describing, and (2) are each written from the subjective, even if earnest and well-intentioned, perspective of their respective authors; but nevertheless, (3) despite flaws in their historicity, the Gospels also represent the most reliable surviving witness to the life and teachings of Jesus, and (4) through the centuries have consistently offered to Christians an authoritative composite portrait of the "Christ of faith".

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

I think I'd want to modify (1) a bit. Something like: "The Gospels draw on subjectively remembered and retold oral hearsay circulating among communities of Jesus's admirers. Some of these communities contained members who had direct first-hand knowledge of the actual events they were describing; in general the stories soon achieved fixed forms which militated against change and amendment".

I know that's not very elegant.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016