roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards
Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Where does your father store his barnacles? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 
Source: (consider it) Thread: Where does your father store his barnacles?
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
I've just discovered one of these from my own children's perspective; very timely on the cusp of our move to new Ship quarters ....

At supper Friday night my dad was drinking out of my Ship of Fools mug, so the Ship came up in conversation. My son, now 20, said, "You know, when I was a kid you always had Ship of Fools open on the computer and I grew up just thinking it was one of the sites everyone used, like Facebook, Twitter, Google and Ship of Fools."

No, not everyone, only the discerning

Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up on air force bases and thought that people who lived in the same house all their lives was pure fiction. It has been an eye-opener to belong to a base brats facebook group and realize how many of us had similar experiences but were never on the same base at the same time. For us, pretty much all the houses, schools, rec centres, and family life was the same right across the country. It is strange to realize just how different things were from our civilian counterparts.

Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sharing food in restaurants.

My family has always been one where when eating out we will each order a main course that appeals to us (gammon and chips, say), but swap trimmings and sides to taste. So dad will have the egg off my gammon, and I'll have his mushroom and some of his chips because he never finishes them. Meanwhile, mom will be swapping her peas for my brother's pineapple slice. Or any of a myriad of combinations and swaps, often several of them during the same meal.

It was only when my family first ate with my wife's family that I realised this sort of thing isn't usual.

Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Marvin, my Faith Family do the same thing! We get together after going to our various churches every Sunday. Our rule is: don't tell the server that you want your meal without ***! There is always someone who wants what another person doesn't.

It makes sense to me...waste not, want not!

Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 
Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016