homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Heaven   » Time to stop and stare

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Time to stop and stare
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a dentist appointment this morning. It was bright sunny and cold. On the way there I passed a children's playground; empty as you would expect in the weather conditions and kids in school. The absence of pigeons was perhaps a bit harder to explain. About halfway along the path beside it, I felt the urge to just and stare.

There was a warmth coming from the playground but apart from some play equipment on a grass surface in bright daylight, nothing special. Yet that stopping lasted for a while and as I came out of it I noticed another guy staring at the exact same spot from a different side. Both of us seemed reluctant to go on.

What was going on?

Other than this, chance to discuss those small moments that take you out of the daily grind.

Jengie

[ 07. February 2018, 09:22: Message edited by: Jengie jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I remember bunking off from school on day, and being absolutely mesmerised by the sight of a black water rat/vole? in some scrub land. It was time out of the time out of school!

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Snow really is so beautiful, we probably shouldn't complain about it so much. Jengie Jon reminded me of the Robert Frost poem:
quote:
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a magic moment in examining a snowflake before it melts in your hand.

For longer periods of calm, a log burner going, and a cat or two on the lap can take me out of time quite effectively.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What was going on - you probably both saw the spiritual presence there. The quietness, the lack of chatter was a spiritual presence, You could say it was just coincidence, but I think that is what spiritual moments are.

In past times, you would have said there was a ghost there, but a benign or friendly one. I think you both saw the presence of God.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes the combination of something interesting (to me, at least) will draw me into a space where I no longer hear what's going in around me and maybe stop focusing on the thing in my view. I just linger for a moment in that fuzzy boundary between exterior and interior space. It can be very refreshing.

If, after a time, I notice someone else also paused, I wonder if they are having the same experience.

sabine

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Sabine, that sounds like meditation. What a gift to be able to do it so naturally.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
Sometimes the combination of something interesting (to me, at least) will draw me into a space where I no longer hear what's going in around me and maybe stop focusing on the thing in my view. I just linger for a moment in that fuzzy boundary between exterior and interior space. It can be very refreshing.

If, after a time, I notice someone else also paused, I wonder if they are having the same experience.

sabine

[joke]That's what I told the magistrate when I got done for careless driving [/joke]

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
JJ; I have had a couple of moments like that. The first was aged about 3-4 years old and I had sneaked out of our garden and into the neighbours and crawled into their cold frame. It was warm and there was a smell which I now know as the smell of a tomato plant and I was just mesmerised.
The other was at a stables which had recently, in another part, been on fire. The sun was rising, there was a smell of horse and I just had to sit down.
Thin places, spiritual places? Just a good place to unplug the mind, or knock it into neutral

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Diomedes
Shipmate
# 13482

- Posted      Profile for Diomedes   Email Diomedes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mum called these 'Holy Moments' - and considered them a time of prayer without words. She was a wise woman.

--------------------
Distrust simple answers to complicated questions

Posts: 129 | From: Essex England | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The experience in the OP sure sounds like something sacred. I'm reluctant to say God was present because of the stillness/emptiness (or is God not present when the kids are out playing?). Maybe that unusual emptiness just helped in noticing.

There could also be an element of the uncanny: a place we all associate with noise and play being totally quiet and still.

That sense of the uncanny comes up a lot in the literature on modern ruins, for precisely that reason: they are sites where human activity should be teeming, but it has just stopped, sometimes inexplicably. Or even if you know the reason (like, it's too cold to take the kids outside for recess), the feeling can still be uncanny.

The uncanny and the presence of God, of course, are by no means mutually exclusive! Feeling or otherwise perceiving the presence of God is uncanny to us mortals.

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

For "uncanny" read "numinous." IMO

--------------------

MaryLouise
Shipmate
# 18697

- Posted      Profile for MaryLouise   Author's homepage   Email MaryLouise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was thinking too of Gerard Manley Hopkins' word 'inscape', discerning the particular 'genius of place' and uniqueness at work in a landscape at a certain time of day. He understood this attention to inscape as an approach to the transcendent hidden within the immanent.

--------------------
“As regards plots I find real life no help at all. Real life seems to have no plots.”

-- Ivy Compton-Burnett

Posts: 646 | From: Cape Town | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016