homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Was Jesus a Pacifist (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Was Jesus a Pacifist
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin60:
Britain and France declaring war on Hitler trashed Poland for six years and six million lives alone. We should have told Poland to lay down its arms, to surrender without a shot. But we had to learn that lesson of history. Eighty million times. Our freedom was so worth it wasn't it?

Allowing a genicidal, tyrannical Dictator to take complete control of the World is one way of keeping the peace I suppose.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Worked for Rome and Jesus.

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

- Posted      Profile for Martin60   Email Martin60   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And again rolyn, hindsight's so clear isn't it?

--------------------
Love wins

Posts: 17586 | From: Never Dobunni after all. Corieltauvi after all. Just moved to the capital. | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How we get from Jesus getting angry about temple merchants to declaring war on Hitler is one of those leaps of logic which makes me not know whether I should want to shoot myself or go bowling. Or do I go to meet the gardener with tears and sun in my eyes asking why he bothered getting up at all?

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
....Or do I go to meet the gardener with tears and sun in my eyes asking why he bothered getting up at all?

Definitely better than the other two options, not that I've ever considered bowling.

Jesus' Ministry pursued a course of non violence. Had it not then the authorities would have suppressed it forcefully at a much earlier stage.
As to whether Jesus Himself is a pacifist, that is one of those questions we ask alone with tears in our eyes.

--------------------

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
And again rolyn, hindsight's so clear isn't it?

Whether one applies hindsight, foresight, farsight or innersight the conclusion is invariably reached that God may as well have screamed at the Cosmos as think sending His only Son would stop humanity from warring.

[ 29. April 2017, 08:23: Message edited by: rolyn ]

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Go bowling. Yeah, may be Crœsos can bridge that category gap for us? Or Mudfrog. Clear the temple with string on a stick or bomb Dresden. Difficult call apparently.

--------------------
Love wins

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

And aye rolyn. I know He screamed. And I know He knew it wouldn't stop war. For a while. Only we can do that. With strong benevolence. I.e. social justice.

[ 29. April 2017, 09:43: Message edited by: Martin60 ]

--------------------
Love wins

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
[Quote]
As to whether Jesus Himself is a pacifist, that is one of those questions we ask alone with tears in our eyes.

Thanks for this and the rest. You didn't mean it as a rebuke, but I need it as one. With a number of upsetting issues these last few days. Let us cry together please.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Go bowling mate, as I said 3 up.

--------------------
Love wins

Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Elie Weisel (Holocaust survivor, Nobel prize) said:
quote:
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented.
If that's just a plea for us to "speak out," then I agree, but if he means we must continually be at war with someone on the planet, then I just couldn't spend my life that way, nor ask anyone else to.
Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bit that tends to get left out when the Hitler war is raised as an anti-pacifist argument is the question - If everybody in 1930s Germany who called themselves a Christian had also followed the biblical teaching on pacifism, what would Hitler have done for an army? Not to mention that if all those Germans had believed in pacifism, would they have voted for Hitler in the first place??
Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why stop there? Take it back further. No World War One, no World War Two ...

All these things are connected. Hitler was the culmination of some cultural and ideological emphases that went way back further and through a toxic combination of circumstances led to the Third Reich ...

I'm reading a biography of S T Coleridge and he highlights how much of an issue anti-Semitism was in early 19th century Germany when he traveled and studied there.

These things go way back and ripple on down to this day. History isn't simply a catalogue of famous names.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother grew up in 1930s Germany. She felt that an lot of people were simply entranced by Hitler's economic miracle and were prepared to shut their eyes to the less savoury aspects of what was going on. They were also frightened to say anything, for fear of retaliation. Hence to join the Confessing Church or declare oneself as a pacifist would have been a very costly thing to do, especially if you had dependents.

There is also the argument which I've read about, which said that the Army had a very strong code of loyalty to the nation. Hitler cleverly turned this into a cde of loyalty to himself which many didn't realise until too late. Having said that there were high-ranking military people such as Admiral Canaris who recognised the difference and saw that the only way to save the nation was to subtly subvert Hitler.

So, while I basically agree with Steve' position, I think things would have looked very different to folk actually in Germany at the time, especially as it was a nation with a proud military tradition.

FWIW my father was involved in an anti-Nazi student group while at University (c.1936) and spent a couple of months in Dachau for his pains.

[ 29. April 2017, 16:37: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

You can easily see Luther in the Holocaust.

--------------------
Love wins

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sadly, I must agree.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

quote:
You can easily see Luther in the Holocaust.

You can see Nazi imagery in church if you wish. Martin Luther Memorial Church, Berlin.

So now we have established that it is possible to turn Jesus on his head, and make him into a supporter of Nazism. Which he also can be made to support slavery in the Spanish, British, French, Ottoman, Portuguese, Roman and probably every else's empire. If I go bowling, I will throw the balls overhand.

--------------------
\_(ツ)_/

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

That would be impressive. You must have shoulders like the Incredible Hulk. You'd trash the alley mind. Not exactly pacific. You need to work on the Zen there no...

--------------------
Love wins

rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
Thanks for this and the rest. You didn't mean it as a rebuke, but I need it as one. With a number of upsetting issues these last few days. Let us cry together please.

No prob NPFS.... Silent tears can deal with something inside every person, something that just about nothing else can.

Godwin seems to be on a roll with this thread. I do get wobbly conscience on Dresden Martin. It cantilevers between not wanting a harsh word said against our brave brylcreem boys, as opposed to an action that did come close to an act of extermination.

When we entered the 21st Century I naively felt it to be an opportunity for humanity to turn it's back on war, you know try and airbrush the horrors of the previous Century. That lasted all of 21 months and 11 days. No turning of cheek on that occasion, so the Beast was woken once again with the unthinkable now becoming daily evermore thinkable.

--------------------

Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

quote:
Originally posted by Steve Langton:
The bit that tends to get left out when the Hitler war is raised as an anti-pacifist argument is the question - If everybody in 1930s Germany who called themselves a Christian had also followed the biblical teaching on pacifism, what would Hitler have done for an army? Not to mention that if all those Germans had believed in pacifism, would they have voted for Hitler in the first place??

How could they? And how could they not? These are the social evolutionary culs-de-sac we have to explore until we have nothing else to do but try social justice.

--------------------
Love wins

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it too simplistic to say that perhaps the conflicts over the last century are entirely down to the very damaged people that were given (or took) power?

Lenin and Stalin.
Kaiser Wilhelm,
Adolf Hitler
...and all the postwar 'odd people' up to and including our present North Korean 'oddball'...

...none of these people went to war or revolution as a result of the popular democratic will of a change-desiring people; they were all megalomaniacs with serious personality issues and inbred violent tendencies that would crush a political opponent using various means of assassination at whim. Yes, they saw opportunity and rode on the backs of people who wanted genuine and sincere change, but they used their own people as much as they destroyed (or tried to destroy) their enemies.

The bloody century that we call 'Twentieth' is not a century of nations rising against nation, so much as wicked leaders dragging their people into a war with the weaker, defenceless leaders of other peaceful countries.

It seems to me that waging war against such men is entirely proper - though I am guessing that it might actually be 'cleaner' simply to 'take out' that leader and place human beings in his place.

Would I support the assassination of Hitler?
Yes, I think Bonhoeffer was right to sanction it.
Had it succeeded, and had it happened in 1939, the world would be a lot better.

[ 30. April 2017, 14:19: Message edited by: Mudfrog ]

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

Yes it's too simplistic. Hindsight's wonderful isn't it? There were 14 plots to assassinate Hitler, which would you have participated in?

--------------------
Love wins

Steve Langton
Shipmate
# 17601

- Posted      Profile for Steve Langton   Email Steve Langton   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John 18 - was Pilate right to declare Jesus innocent?
Posts: 2245 | From: Stockport UK | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The article linked to in the OP is flawed because it confuses 'passive' with 'pacifist' - they happen to sound alike in English but their derivations are completely different.

[ 01. May 2017, 17:54: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:

Would I support the assassination of Hitler?
Yes, I think Bonhoeffer was right to sanction it.
Had it succeeded, and had it happened in 1939, the world would be a lot better.

Wiki suggest knowledge more that sanction and those plots were in 1943. Fewer people would have died. But not sure who else the world would have been "better".

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Martin60
Shipmate
# 368

I'm impressed at how bad predictive text can be!

--------------------
Love wins

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016