homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Food waste (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Food waste
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
Where do you put all the bins? Places not far from here have very narrow front gardens, or no gardens at all, doors opening onto the footpath? Or there are blocks of flats with nowhere for bin stores. Streets get very cluttered. And people put their waste in the wrong bins as they pass. Dog faeces, for example.

The 4 bins spend most of their time at a path not too far from the laundry door. Either Dlet or I wheel whatever bins are to be emptied out to street the night before. So on Thursday this week, the ordinary rubbish bin will go out along with those for paper, and glass/cans. On Thursday next week, the rubbish and green bins will go out.

Small blocks of units or town houses must have special areas for bins - council requirements as a part of building approval. Large blocks have much larger communal bins.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

It's rather silly (and wasteful) that a restaurant meal is sufficient for two adults, but I'm glad you can do this.
[Smile]

I live in the US. I have certainly had meals that I didn't want to eat and didn't finish (because they tasted foul) but have never purchased too much food.

A main meal in a restaurant (possibly with starter) is usually a good size for me if I'm hungry. I generally don't eat pudding.

(Decent restaurants, IME, are usually happy to provide a half-portion for things that can reasonably be subdivided, if you have a modest appetite.)

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a senior, among the many perks available to me is the "senior menu" at some restaurants, where the portions are smaller and the prices are cheaper. Unfortunately the selection tends to be smaller also.

Another trick I've learned is to order an appetizer instead of a main course. An appetizer combined with soup and some bread usually fills me up.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There is a documented problem with portion inflation in both the UK and the USA. From a 2015 Cochrane report summarising randomised controlled trials:

quote:
Effects of size on consumption: We found evidence that people consistently ate more food or drank more non-alcoholic drinks when offered larger-sized portions, packages or items of tableware than when offered smaller-sized versions. We estimate the size of this effect to be small to moderate among both children and adults. If an effect of this size were sustained across the whole diet it would be equivalent to around a 12% to 16% change in average daily energy intake from food among UK adults.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Following on from Curiosity Killed's post, although it's possibly a tangent, we bought some new crockery a few years ago. It took us a while to realise that the plates are huge compared to the old set (which, of course, we kept, 'just in case').

We now tend to use the side plates for our main course - they are pretty much the same size as the dinner plates in the old set.

I suppose the trend for huge plates started in restaurants, where you get an enormous plate, with two tiny bits of whatever and a smear of sauce artistically arranged in the middle. At home, the tendency is to fill the plate.

When we were clearing our parent's house, I also noticed the 1970's wine glasses were tiny compared to more recent ones.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016