homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » The State and the Fate of the Fourth Estate (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The State and the Fate of the Fourth Estate
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mdijon:
Just about every political discussion clip I watch from CNN is a shouting match. It includes a pro-Trump person for balance, who ends up saying unreal nonsense that gets everyone else jumping up and down and the moderator loses control and there's no discussion.

For me this really degrades the value of watching CNN. They did this during the election as well. It creates an obvious impression that you have two sides angry with each other and both unable to articulate an argument. I think this really plays into the hands of the Trump campaign.

Does political news in the UK have similar shouting matches (as a standard way of addressing just about any issue at any time of day on a 24-hour news channel), or is it just reserved for the occasional panel show?
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
Does political news in the UK have similar shouting matches (as a standard way of addressing just about any issue at any time of day on a 24-hour news channel), or is it just reserved for the occasional panel show?

I don't ever remember seeing rival commentators live and shouting at each other on a news report in the UK.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just about every political discussion clip I watch from CNN is a shouting match. It includes a pro-Trump person for balance, who ends up saying unreal nonsense that gets everyone else jumping up and down and the moderator loses control and there's no discussion.

For me this really degrades the value of watching CNN. They did this during the election as well. It creates an obvious impression that you have two sides angry with each other and both unable to articulate an argument. I think this really plays into the hands of the Trump campaign.

quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:

Piers Morgan seems to be doing his best to import the shouty interview outcome with a single guest, and Paxman and Humphrys are famed for inquisitorial style. But I'm less familiar with seeing the 4-panel-member shouting match approach. On the other hand I don't watch much TV, my impression is mostly based on youtube clips.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Piers Morgan seems to be doing his best to import the shouty interview outcome with a single guest, and Paxman and Humphrys are famed for inquisitorial style. But I'm less familiar with seeing the 4-panel-member shouting match approach. On the other hand I don't watch much TV, my impression is mostly based on youtube clips.

The shouting-match style dates quite a long way in terms of US TV - it seems to have originated at the point at which the new cable networks were trying to gain subscribers. The crucial element is pundits with diametrically opposing views being allowed somewhat free-reign to wail on each other.

In that sense they are completely different from the kind of tough-questions approach of Paxman et al. which is in many ways still foreign to US news - which usually substitutes emotive-questions posed by a news anchor who is feigning or affecting anger.

Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder to what extent it is cause and/or effect of an increasingly polarized identity-politics. It obviously obscures the things of substance that might be discussed.

My impression is that it has become more common on CNN, and the emotive anchor remains a consistent feature of particular networks.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My impression is that it has become more common on CNN

Well, CNNs 'Crossfire' program goes back to 1982 (sample from 1986 https://youtu.be/8ISil7IHzxc ), I assume at some point that format invaded the news programs.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

I've only watched a bit of that, and while it gets very heated it still seems very different from the unrestrained shouting matches that we see with Trump surrogates. The longer format helps a bit, and the moderators are quite active and there are two of them. Having 4 heated panelists and 1 moderator seems more doomed as a format. I guess having two protagonists who actually believe in their positions helps.

--------------------

simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a really good show on Deutsche-Welle (apologies for my German) called Confrontation or something like that. It's a one-on-one interview format where the interviewer challenges the interviewee (usually a famous European politician or a representative of a group approaching the fringe) on every point where a challenge is possible. He doesn't let them avoid the question, nor does he let them drift off point. He puts every reasonable criticism you might think of to them.

It used to be on late at night on one of our TV stations. It was great. Sometimes the guest got angry, but the interviewer never did. He'd just tell them to grow up.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016