homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » Are the English obsessed by Class? (Page 0)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Are the English obsessed by Class?
simontoad
Ship's Amphibian
# 18096

- Posted      Profile for simontoad   Email simontoad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Robert Armin:
Agreed that a lot of comedy is class based - but doesn't that indicate that we don't take class seriously any more? The people who do (Basil Fawlty, Hyacinth Bucket etc) are, by definition, ridiculous. Surely it could be argued that shows like that give the message that paying attention to class is a stupid thing to do?

(And the point about Brexit escaped me. In what way was the vote to leave the EU about class?)

I think good comedy can take an attribute of people in society and exaggerate it to make it funny. For me, that shows that class was still highly relevant in Britain when these shows were made. There's lots of other things going on in Fawlty Towers of course. I wonder, to bring things into the current century, whether Ali G was class-based comedy.

--------------------
Human

Posts: 1571 | From: Romsey, Vic, AU | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I visited London, I was warned that British people were cold and stuffy, so when I went to a small theatre show, I was surprised that the staff addressed each other using the phrase "Luv", which I thought was rather intimate.

I asked a friend when I got back, and she told me that that was a matter of class, that you could say affectionate, close terms to people if you were in the same class, but you would never address that to your superiors.

Before we North Americans can be too smug about our "classless society", the classic objection to North America is that we pretend that class doesn't exist, even though it does.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are British Class sensitive? Does a fish know it's wet?
Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ohher
Shipmate
# 18607

- Posted      Profile for Ohher   Author's homepage   Email Ohher   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm American, not English, British, or even European (though largely descended from that sceptered isle), so I can't say.

I am, however, now firmly convinced that the English clearly believe all Americans to be savages incapable of occupying even the lowest rung of any conceivable social order. I base this on the appalling PSA Jim Carter (Carson of Downton Abbey) has recorded for Public Television's BritWit Club, which uses such outdated and OTT stereotypical "Britishisms" that it's downright offensive.

I'm sure it's not poor Jim Carter's fault. No doubt some damn ad agency fool who has never set foot outside of Ealing wrote it for him.

I certainly wouldn't join this group on the basis of the PSA. They must force members to take their leave of meetings with cries of "Cheerio" and "Pip pip."
[Projectile]

--------------------
From the Land of the Native American Brave and the Home of the Buy-One-Get-One-Free

Posts: 374 | From: New Hampshire, USA | Registered: Jun 2016  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
From cross the Pond:

FWIW, I've watched a lot of British TV (Britcoms, mysteries, drama, travel, educational) throughout my life. Mostly on PBS. AIUI, here (the SF Bay Area) is the most devoted and largest group of viewers for those shows.

Anyway, the shows almost always emphasize social/financial class. Between that, and the royals and nobles, we tend to think you folks are pretty class conscious.

As to the US: we're very class conscious. Just handled somewhat differently.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ohher--

quote:
Originally posted by Ohher:
I'm American, not English, British, or even European (though largely descended from that sceptered isle), so I can't say.

I am, however, now firmly convinced that the English clearly believe all Americans to be savages incapable of occupying even the lowest rung of any conceivable social order. I base this on the appalling PSA Jim Carter (Carson of Downton Abbey) has recorded for Public Television's BritWit Club, which uses such outdated and OTT stereotypical "Britishisms" that it's downright offensive.

I'm sure it's not poor Jim Carter's fault. No doubt some damn ad agency fool who has never set foot outside of Ealing wrote it for him.

I certainly wouldn't join this group on the basis of the PSA. They must force members to take their leave of meetings with cries of "Cheerio" and "Pip pip."
[Projectile]

Ummm. I'm a fan of Downton, and have enjoyed the various extras for American fans that have been broadcast on PBS. (They've specifically mentioned us.) I don't know anything about the BritWit club you mentioned.

But was he maybe just using terms used in Downton? Many Americans love that sort of language, and thus love Downton; and love Downton, and thus love the language. It creates a mood.

And also reminds fans they have this because of PBS, and that maybe they should renew/begin their membership next time around.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Dad's Army, Captain Mainwaring was very much lower middle class, not upper middle. Sergeant Wilson was much higher in the social scale, becoming an Honourable and being on close terms with Lady Something or other when she lent her Roller to the platoon for the duration.

Sorry, just slightly outraged that upthread, someone said Captain Mainwaring was upper middle class - his father was a draper!

No, the British aren't obsessed by class.....

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Agreed that a lot of comedy is class based - but doesn't that indicate that we don't take class seriously any more?

Of course we do - it affects more lives than most people imagine in the sense of opening doors or, alternatively, banging them firmly shut. How many Bishops in the CofE are from "humble" origins? What % of heir time do they spend in state schools vs independents, posh parishes vs working class?

The evidence is in two books- Pickett and Wilkinson's "The Spirit Level" and Owen Jones's "Chavs". The latter is especially painful to read

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Host
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Probably my theme for the week! It's all about our pecking order instincts, honed by millenia of social animal behaviour. Power got you the best food and the best mating opportunities. Social animals developed pecking order instincts about relative power and relative communal value. Result, in the fullness of time, various hierarchical social structures. Which morphed in various ways through different cultures and memes. The UK version has made for good period piece dramas, but I think the toffee-nosed snobbery extreme is on its way out here.

But instinctive intuitive assessments of relative power and status will continue, largely because such observational instincts are built in.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
I think the toffee-nosed snobbery extreme is on its way out here.

the interesting thing about that is that IMO that in itself is a feature of the insecure middle more than anything else, and a projection *from* the revolutionaries *onto* the upper.

In reality, the upper and lowest have usually got the most in common in terms of taste and mores, and differ only in the funds they've got available to indulge themselves.

It's yer actual petit borgeoisie that go in for "toffee nosed snobbery extreme" - the Buckets/Lynda Snells of this world.

Can't remember who made the observation about rugby league (Brian Redhead?) - the terraces at a rugby league club are/were filled with the workers and the old Etonian sons of the mill/mine owners. It was the doctors, dentists and solicitors who were/are missing. They were off defining themselves as "not the workers" at the rugby union club.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Which is sort of the point of the central struggle of Dad's Army - Arthur Lowe is the grammar school boy made good, son of a draper and mildly ashamed that hes's *only* in the Rotary Club rather than the golf club. He was an officer in the first war, but only in 1919, and so "missed" the chance to fight.

Wilson is the urbane, charming, ex public school Hon, who *was* a frontline officer in WW1, has a chestful of medals which (unlike Jones) he never wears, and is nevertheless happy to be Mainwaring's sgt and put up with his boss' snobberies because they don't mean anything to him.

IME the interaction between Wilson as top, and the working class private soldiers of the platoon is entirely typical of what actually happens. The tension is mostly between middle and lower (people "getting above themselves" vs being terrified of falling back down the ladder).

It's all nonsense really.

--------------------

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by betjemaniac:
Which is sort of the point of the central struggle of Dad's Army - Arthur Lowe is the grammar school boy made good, son of a draper and mildly ashamed that hes's *only* in the Rotary Club rather than the golf club. He was an officer in the first war, but only in 1919, and so "missed" the chance to fight.

You seem to be muddling up the actor with the character here. Arthur Lowe was only born in 1915 so cannot have been an officer.

--------------------
arse

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
Would you expect to see <snip> someone in a hoody and leggings enjoying afternoon tea and cakes in the local tearoom?

If you would count jeans and trainers instead of leggings, yes, me.

Class is not a problem to most unless you see yourself as either better than others, such as users of chav, or redneck as social descriptors, or see onesself as belonging to what you see as better people, such as the wonderfully observed Captain Mainwaring and Basil Fawlty.

Most just get on with being people and meeting people.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

You seem to be muddling up the actor with the character here. Arthur Lowe was only born in 1915 so cannot have been an officer.
Hmm, if you swap the word is after Lowe for plays.... That whole para is about his character.

Although the other part of the casting genius is that moving the dates along (because obviously neither was in WW1) Lowe/Mainwaring and Wilson/Le Mesurier were basically playing themselves. Originally Lowe was going to be the sgt and Le Mesurier the officer, until Perry and Croft realised it would be funnier to swap them.

The 2 WW1 veterans in the cast who *could* have been in the WW2 home guard were John Laurie and Arnold Ridley. Arnold Ridley's life in particular is fascinating....

anyway, I digress....

[ 01. November 2017, 09:06: Message edited by: betjemaniac ]

--------------------

mr cheesy
Shipmate
# 3330

- Posted      Profile for mr cheesy   Email mr cheesy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by balaam:

I think the opposite is actually true: we all inhabit particular niches in our society and rarely interact with anyone who isn't in that niche, even when their reality is superimposed onto the geography we are familiar with.

Some of us live in places where almost everyone is in more-or-less the same niche, and therefore can confidently say that we don't understand what everyone else is going on about.

I'd suggest the majority live in complicated societies where we are only comfortable with the people we are comfortable with and where there exist a whole load of people who might have superficially similar lives (for example we might interact with them briefly in Tescos) but whom we have very little understanding of them or what they do.

I don't think this is quite about class exactly, but it is a feature of a stratified society where the "ideal" seems to be everyone keeping to themselves.

--------------------
arse

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In reality, the upper and lowest have usually got the most in common in terms of taste and mores, and differ only in the funds they've got available to indulge themselves.

I think this is a conceit, and if it were ever true is far less true these days.
Posts: 4035 | From: Berkshire | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up in a village, which (at the time*) was still a place where people from all different classes lived and worked.

So when I was young I mixed with the children of agricultural labourers, farmers, office workers and engineers at the nearby atom plants. The middle/upper classes tended to send their kids to minor public schools, but their parents, who I met at the parish church, included titled peers, the Lord Lieutenant of the county, a high court judge, inheritors of a 'family' firm (now a global concern), very senior retired military men. And the class distinctions were absolutely there. To say they weren't is laughable.

This is not to say that the 'old money' upper class weren't genuinely decent people - most of them were: kind, generous, honest, reliable. But that could also be said for most of the adults I came into contact with. It was just that I became increasingly aware of the extent of the gulf in terms of monetary wealth and influence between the classes, and just who you needed 'onside' in local disputes.

It was one thing to have popular opinion behind you, but a couple of phone calls from Lord Whatsisface and His Worship would have whateveritwas sorted before the sun went down. And you were left with no doubt as to who had the power, and who didn't. You were cast into the role of supplicant, whether you wanted to or not.

Things have changed since then. Dramatically. The 'new money' is often more wealthy that the 'old money', with none of the noblesse oblige to temper their excesses. If anything, the social stratification has got worse - the working, lower-middle and middle-middle classes have been cleansed from the village due to rising house prices, so that the train deposits the cleaners, teachers, admin staff, and the care workers at the station as it picks up the managers and CEOs to take them the other way.

I don't know about obsessed, but it's there, and with the crushing of the middle classes, the gulf is simply wider between the haves and the have-nots. We ignore that at our peril.

*A fairly modest house in my mum's road has just gone on sale for £840,000

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by chris stiles:
quote:

I think this is a conceit, and if it were ever true is far less true these days.
Well of course, your MMV. I have to say I happen to believe on the basis of experience that it's true rather than a conceit. I'm not sure about your counter conceit because, as I say, YMMV.

--------------------

chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

- Posted      Profile for chris stiles   Email chris stiles   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well of course, your MMV. I have to say I happen to believe on the basis of experience that it's true rather than a conceit. I'm not sure about your counter conceit because, as I say, YMMV.

So what taste and mores are shared by the upper-classes and the lowest ?
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
quote:

In my experience, it's more about what they share not having - primarily hang ups and snobberies about class - in favour of getting on with their lives.

Class hang ups and snobberies usually come from the middle (ie, as someone who if they had to grade themselves would be somewhere between lower middle and middle middle, me) and are focused both upwards and downwards. No one else cares.

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In my experience, it's more about what they share not having - primarily hang ups and snobberies about class - in favour of getting on with their lives.

Oh, come now. Not having food? Not having adequate housing? Not having choice?

You'll be having us singing the forbidden 3rd verse of All Things Bright and Beautiful next.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

If nothing else they don't care. The lower-middles are obsessed by appearances and I believe this thread demonstrates that [Biased]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
]Oh, come now. Not having food? Not having adequate housing? Not having choice?

last time I checked those weren't tastes or mores, which this conversation is about. It would be lunacy to say they were the same people living the same lives, for precisely the reasons you bring up.

Again, in a thread about snobbery and class, I was pointing out that IME the top and bottom are the ones who care least about it.

If you want to have a conversation about socio economic determinants, purchasing power, or life opportunities then it might be a short one because we'd be in violent agreement. Class =/= money.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... Class hang ups and snobberies usually come from the middle (ie, as someone who if they had to grade themselves would be somewhere between lower middle and middle middle, me) and are focused both upwards and downwards. No one else cares.

This is a fashionable view, and one I've heard repeated many times, but it isn't true. The upper classes have a very strong sense of rank. It's just that from where they are, the rest of us all look the same.

On Dad's Army, there's an extra ingredient which people haven't mentioned. Yes, Captain Mainwaring is full of pretension. Was his name was originally just spelt Mannering? He's managed to climb the ladder, but being a bank manager in the branch in Walmington-on-Sea isn't really very far. But Sergeant Wilson has come down in the world. A man with his start in life should not just be an assistant in a nondescript branch of a bank. How has he washed up there?

There's also a bit of a mystery about why. Is he just a nice chap but without much go in him? Or is it that there's the sort of matrimonial history that in those days largely excluded a person from the golf club? Did his wife run off or did he run off with Mrs Pike? Is he really just her lodger? Is Private Pike actually his son? Mrs Pike is clearly NOCD. Pike's age would mean that if he is Wilson's son, the scandal would have been sometime in the early-mid-twenties. If he'd once had a promising career in the bank, that sort of scandal might have been OK in some parts of inter-war society, but it would have prevented him ever doing well in the bank.

[ 01. November 2017, 11:21: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
Or is it that there's the sort of matrimonial history that in those days largely excluded a person from the golf club?

Although of course, in a nod to the middle class craving for differentiation and acceptability further up the pole, in the episode where he becomes an Hon he is immediately made a member of the golf club.....

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

quote:
Again, in a thread about snobbery and class, I was pointing out that IME the top and bottom are the ones who care least about it.

Essentially, you're suggesting that the upper classes are happy holding the chains, and the lower classes are happy wearing them.

I'd agree with the former. The latter have merely become habituated to them.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas 62
Power got you the best food and the best mating opportunities.

It wasn't quite that simple. Many people have sex where they want to, regardless of the social structure. Usually they manage to conceal what they're doing.

I have heard of an interesting comparison in the animal kingdom. I saw a TV program about elk and the rutting season. The conventional wisdom was that the most powerful males fought, and the victor had sex with all the females. The researchers discovered that while the fighting was going on, many of the females mated with lower-status males and presumably had their offspring.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:

Which is nothing to do with tastes and mores, and more about 'accepting your place in life' - what Doc Tor said basically, complete with a stanza of "All Things Bright and Beautiful".
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

quote:
quote:

Which is nothing to do with tastes and mores, and more about 'accepting your place in life' - what Doc Tor said basically, complete with a stanza of "All Things Bright and Beautiful".
If you want to have a discussion about the Young Hegelians and the emergence of Marxist labour theory then we can....although as with Doc Tor I suspect it won't go anywhere because we'll be on the same page.

I was making a point about who it is that cares about class signifiers in terms of language and behaviour, because that's the way the thread had gone when I joined it. And I'll maintain that it's generally not the top or the bottom.

In terms of singing, I prefer John Ball.

--------------------

Kwesi
Shipmate
# 10274

- Posted      Profile for Kwesi   Email Kwesi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder whether this thread would feature in any other culture than in England? And discussed with such relish and sophisticated analysis? India, perhaps?
Posts: 1641 | From: South Ofankor | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
On Dad's Army, there's an extra ingredient which people haven't mentioned.

I'm sure there's a PhD thesis in there somewhere ...

The second paragraph of this article may be of interest.

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
I was making a point about who it is that cares about class signifiers in terms of language and behaviour

But again; not caring about tastes and mores as class signifiers is different from sharing common tastes and mores.

[ 01. November 2017, 12:36: Message edited by: chris stiles ]

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Class =/= money.

That's what makes it so fascinating. You're right - the difference between "old money" and "new money" better illustrates what class is about than any comparison of richer and poorer.

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, but the "new money" of one generation turns into "old money" in the next (or next-but-one) - especially if the children have been sent to a Public School - surely the hot-houses for instilling class consciousness.
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Agreed that a lot of comedy is class based - but doesn't that indicate that we don't take class seriously any more?

It indicates the opposite. Humour takes real life and pushes or twists it.
quote:

Class is not a problem to most unless you see yourself as either better than others,

This is the purpose of class.

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Yes, but the "new money" of one generation turns into "old money" in the next (or next-but-one) - especially if the children have been sent to a Public School - surely the hot-houses for instilling class consciousness.

Money one generation back doesn't make one posh.
quote:
Originally posted by Kwesi:
I wonder whether this thread would feature in any other culture than in England? And discussed with such relish and sophisticated analysis? India, perhaps?

Caste and class are discussed and debated in India. I do not have enough experience to make direct comparisons, though.
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

I don't know about obsessed, but it's there, and with the crushing of the middle classes, the gulf is simply wider between the haves and the have-nots. We ignore that at our peril.

Addressing this problem takes effort. Continuous and educated effort.

We are so fucked.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

Haven't you heard of the down side of new money: "Clogs to clogs in three generations". It only takes one generation of wastrels to throw it all away.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

Indeed I have. (Doesn't work south of Watford Gap, of course ...).
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Get a bunch of English people who don't know each other and they almost always immediately start a subtle enquiry to ascertain who "outranks" who. What do you do? Where do you live? Etc. Etc. Sounds innocent, but isn't.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:
Get a bunch of English people who don't know each other and they almost always immediately start a subtle enquiry to ascertain who "outranks" who. What do you do? Where do you live? Etc. Etc. Sounds innocent, but isn't.

You must, of course, speak for yourself. But to my mind, the function of these common conversational gambits is to establish some common point of interest to facilitate a conversation.

I meet some person somewhere, initial pleasantries are exchanged, and then what? Perhaps you do something I find interesting. Perhaps I do something you find interesting. Perhaps we have friends in common, or some knowledge or interest in the area in which the other person lives, or ...

You don't need those questions to determine some kind of social ranking. That comes for free from accent, word choice, bearing, and any number of other cues. What you do with that information, of course, is up to you.

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That reminds me of when I met my brother-in-law for the first time, who was a Tory MP. I have quite a strong Northern accent, and dress fairly scruffily. Hmm, a bit hard to place.

So, he had a brain-wave. 'Which school did you go to?'.

I mentioned a well-known public school, and he relaxed. I was sort in the club, although marginal, better check the silver tonight.

--------------------
I can't talk to you today; I talked to two people yesterday.

Posts: 9878 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Fuzzipeg
Shipmate
# 10107

- Posted      Profile for Fuzzipeg   Author's homepage   Email Fuzzipeg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My father was a parish priest in darkest Norfolk when I was in my late teens. At the Point-to-Point we had seats in the grandstand in the same row as the doctor and vet....which we found amusing!

--------------------
http://foodybooze.blogspot.co.za

Posts: 929 | From: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
quote:
Originally posted by Sighthound:

You must, of course, speak for yourself. But to my mind, the function of these common conversational gambits is to establish some common point of interest to facilitate a conversation.
I think it is sometimes one, sometimes the other and often both. Much like the American version: ‘So, what do you do?’

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

- Posted      Profile for quetzalcoatl   Email quetzalcoatl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So many stories. I was pally for a while with a rector in central London, ex-army officer, very posh guy, anyway, sometimes we used to go in Fortnum and Mason's to eat scrambled eggs. To quote the film, 'made it ma, top of the world'.

--------------------

balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mr cheesy:
quote:

I think the opposite is actually true: we all inhabit particular niches in our society and rarely interact with anyone who isn't in that niche,
My mileage varies on this.

There are different areas of life. You could have work colleagues, friends at church, be part of an interest in something, say a sports club, art class or something. Those in those circles are not necessarily in the same social class, and they in turn have their own circle.

Some may only react only within one niche, but there is no need to if you don't want to. I don't want to and so don't.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are the English (or should that be British) obsessed with Class? Hmm, I'd say sort of.

Actually its the Middle Class who are obsessed with Class - the uppers and others couldn't give a damn, and on the whole get on far better with each other than they do with the Middles.

But as my old nanny used to say, One should behave the same and speak the same whether you're with a dustman or a duchess: I think thats a pretty fair attitude,

And in the UK being upper class is definitely nothing to do with money: in fact bothering about whether or not someone is rich is definitely ill-bred and vulgar.

[ 03. November 2017, 00:36: Message edited by: L'organist ]

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Even in Austen's day, when class clearly mattered, people who worry about class distinctions were mocked, and shown to be fools of some kind.

Maybe it comes with being a vicar, but I meet all sorts of people, and get on with them - and they with me. If we have a falling out, it isn't about class, it's about opinions. Maybe I'm blind but I don't see the segregated society that some of you are talking about.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Even in Austen's day, when class clearly mattered, people who worry about class distinctions were mocked, and shown to be fools of some kind.

Up to a point. Emma is foolish not to think Robert Martin worthy of Harriet, and it's a sign that she's learnt her lessons once she would be pleased to meet him; but she'd never think of marrying him herself.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
chris stiles
Shipmate
# 12641

quote:
Originally posted by L'organist:

Actually its the Middle Class who are obsessed with Class - the uppers and others couldn't give a damn, and on the whole get on far better with each other than they do with the Middles.

As a tired old saw has already been discussed upthread, and demolished beautiful by Doc Tor.
quetzalcoatl
Shipmate
# 16740

quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

Up to a point. Emma is foolish not to think Robert Martin worthy of Harriet, and it's a sign that she's learnt her lessons once she would be pleased to meet him; but she'd never think of marrying him herself.
I think that it's arrivistes who are mocked, such as Mrs Elton, with her airs and graces. Other people don't worry about class, because it's so entrenched. We don't expect a servant in any of her novels to become eloquent, or to flirt with one of the ladies.

It's quite striking, because Austen is justly famous for having feisty and articulate heroines, so she is changing the balance of the sexes, but class is a bridge too far.

--------------------

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dafyd:
quote:

I'm pretty sure it's more than that. Emma is the one who partially forgets class distinctions (or rather 'promotes' her friends to the Gentry), and is (as I understand it) mocked for it.

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016