homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home

This thread has been moved to Ecclesiantics.    
 - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Community discussion   » Purgatory   » No Allelulias in Lent

Source: (consider it) Thread: No Allelulias in Lent
Felafool
Shipmate
# 270

- Posted      Profile for Felafool         Edit/delete post 
For some Christians there is a tradition of not saying 'Allelulia' during Lent. I don't particularly want to debate the reasons for such abstemience, but I do have a couple of questions for those who follow the practice.

Is God to be praised during Lent?

If 'YES' then how do you vocalise praise, instead of saying Allelulia, what praises are appropriate?

If 'NO' , why not?

--------------------
I don't care if the glass is half full or half empty - I ordered a cheeseburger.

Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Felafool:
For some Christians there is a tradition of not saying 'Allelulia' during Lent. I don't particularly want to debate the reasons for such abstemience, but I do have a couple of questions for those who follow the practice.

Is God to be praised during Lent?

If 'YES' then how do you vocalise praise, instead of saying Allelulia, what praises are appropriate?

If 'NO' , why not?

God is certainly praised during Lent. The reason why Alleuia is omitted is that Alleuia denotes joy, and we fast from joy, to prepare our hearts for the festive joy of Easter.

We praise God during Lent especially as the source of mercy and forgiveness as it is a season to be mindful of our sins and brokenness, acknowledging that it is only through God, that we have life in His name.

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In churches with a tradition of having some form of 'Alleluia' acclamation before the Gospel reading, this is replaced during Lent by singing/saying 'Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory'.

So yes, praise continues!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anglican_Brat
Shipmate
# 12349

- Posted      Profile for Anglican_Brat   Email Anglican_Brat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
In churches with a tradition of having some form of 'Alleluia' acclamation before the Gospel reading, this is replaced during Lent by singing/saying 'Praise to you, O Christ, King of eternal glory'.

So yes, praise continues!

IJ

With due respect, isn't "praise to you" the same as "Alleuia"?

--------------------
It's Reformation Day! Do your part to promote Christian unity and brotherly love and hug a schismatic.

Posts: 4332 | From: Vancouver | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, sort of. I think it's just meant to be a substitute for the A-word.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
In my tradition, some congregations will drop the Alleluia verses during Lent for the above reasons. But other congregations will continue to use them.

Their argument is that the Sundays IN the Lenten season are not counted as a day of Lent (if they were, then there would be 46 days in lent instead of 40), They see each Sunday in Lent as a "little Easter" that should be celebrated with joy.

Depends on how pietistic you want to be.

Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
In my tradition, some congregations will drop the Alleluia verses during Lent for the above reasons. But other congregations will continue to use them.

Likewise with my tribe—some congregations will avoid Alleluias and some will not. Our place falls in the later category, though the choir director may use more solemn, less joyful tunes for sung Alleluias.

quote:
Their argument is that the Sundays IN the Lenten season are not counted as a day of Lent (if they were, then there would be 46 days in lent instead of 40), They see each Sunday in Lent as a "little Easter" that should be celebrated with joy.
Didn’t the first ecumenical council of Nicaea forbid kneeling on Sunday for just that reason?

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Miss Amanda would need her smelling salts if she MWd a Lenten service where Alleluia was uttered.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
hosting/

I think this belongs in Ecclesiantics. Hold on.

/hosting

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016