homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's business   » The Styx   » Board on political econmy?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Board on political econmy?
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<CREEP>I have tried some politics-only boards but find them not as good to use as this one </CREEP>.
And I know issue like this are raised in PURG but I think it would be better to have a separate special interest board.

Is their any sympathy with this?

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Start with an Eighth Day board?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes political discussion also needs the Hell board.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it is encouraging that the thread title itself is economical, saving a letter 'o'!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by anteater:
I think it would be better to have a separate special interest board.

Care to elaborate on why?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I think it is encouraging that the thread title itself is economical, saving a letter 'o'!

Politicians - always economical with something.

I think it would make an interesting 8th day experiment. There would be space there for both the purg-like and the hell-like discussions. And it would indicate whether there was a wider interest.

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anteater

Ship's pest-controller
# 11435

- Posted      Profile for anteater   Email anteater   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My reasons for wanting this are that although our political views are influenced by our ethical stance, they also depend on some key issues which are highly technical and not at all easy to master.

I've read a lot of Richard Murphy recently (amongst others) and if his ideas are half right (he is an associate but considered a bit too radical by John McDonnell) then the stuff about austerity being the inevitable consequence of deficit is bollocks, which of course a lot on this ship will agree with.

That makes me feel annoyed, if true, although also maybe guilty, since I am one of those who has benefitted from the current regime, so it is all too easy not to criticise too much.

But it is not easy to grasp, and there are counter arguments that I as yet cannot say I understand. I want cool headed debate, and unless debate is joined by at least some who have a good knowledge of economics, it may get nowhere.

You get this with Kerygma, where there's discussion not venting and it attracts those with some knowledge of the Bible.

I'm not aware that I can set one up myself. I doubt it.

--------------------
Schnuffle schnuffle.

Posts: 2538 | From: UK | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
jbohn
Shipmate
# 8753

- Posted      Profile for jbohn   Author's homepage   Email jbohn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Schroedinger's cat:
Politicians - always economical with something.

Usually the truth.

[ 14. June 2017, 15:30: Message edited by: jbohn ]

--------------------
We are punished by our sins, not for them.
--Elbert Hubbard

Posts: 989 | From: East of Eden, west of St. Paul | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016