homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » A problem in the convent

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: A problem in the convent
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joke submitted by KenWritez:

Mother Superior calls all the nuns together and says to them: "I must tell you all something. We have a case of gonorrhea in the convent."

"Thank God," says an elderly nun at the back of the room, "I'm so tired of Chardonnay."

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 147 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At least I laughed at that one!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know people like that.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Triple Tiara

Ship's Papabile
# 9556

- Posted      Profile for Triple Tiara   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very very funny - I received that on a birthday card this year and nearly wet myself laughing

--------------------
I'm a Roman. You may call me Caligula.

Posts: 5905 | From: London, England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very, very, very good.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's "Chardonnay"???

[ 05. July 2005, 14:39: Message edited by: andreas1984 ]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

yes I found this one very funny!

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Foolhearty
Shipmate
# 6196

- Posted      Profile for Foolhearty   Email Foolhearty   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love jokes like this, which turn on someone's innocence.

--------------------
Fear doesn't empty tomorrow of its perils; it empties today of its power.

Posts: 2301 | From: Upper right-hand corner | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I didn't find it funny. It was the suggestion that nuns screw around enough to get VD. Over and over again you find nuns as the butt of jokes that are predominantly sexual in nature. It seems to be pretty much the only thing anyone ever focuses on when it comes to talking about them in a humorous way - celibacy and the idea that nuns are all gagging for it really.
Boreal
Shipmate
# 9550

- Posted      Profile for Boreal   Email Boreal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted this on the other thread, but the reason why nuns and priests come up so often in this kind of joke is that they're well known to be celibate. Or supposed to be. Humor's found when something doesn't add up. Basically, the nunneries and monestaries are the only place where you'll find a convenient group of celibates who are celibate for their entire lives because they WANT to be.

And the joke isn't that ALL nuns screw around enough to get the clap - it is that someone did.

--------------------
I think that God, in creating Man, somewhat overestimated His abilities. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 376 | From: Deepest, eastest Maine. | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did not find it offensive (I know lots of people, not only nuns, who could get confused over a meaning of words), but have to admit I don't find it especially funny.

Of course, this same joke (as a conversation between daughter and mother, not in a convent - ending was 'give it to your father, he'll drink anything') was old when I first heard it during the 1960s.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it works better with Liebfraumilch.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I liked it - in my appreciation of it sidestepped the implication of lack of chastity in the convent and focussed on the: "Thank God," says an elderly nun at the back of the room, "I'm so tired of Chardonnay."

The disjunction between my image of a holy pious nun and this elderly, jaded, decadent old sot, really tickled me. She sounds quite good fun [Biased]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I really laughed hard at this one and am trying to analyze why. Perhaps it's the juxtaposition of a naughty nun, the embarrassment of the mother superior and the naivete of the elderly nun. I don't see her as jaded, just innocent and confused.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead*

Ship’s Photographer
# 1143

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw it as being about the innocence of the elderly nun, and so didn’t find it offensive at all.

[ 09. July 2005, 15:46: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------
Benedikt Gott Geschickt!

Posts: 7082 | From: Turbolift Control. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Snore]

This one is older than the nun making the comment!

[edited to remove "m" and add "n"]

[ 09. July 2005, 19:25: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I really laughed hard at this one and am trying to analyze why. Perhaps it's the juxtaposition of a naughty nun, the embarrassment of the mother superior and the naivete of the elderly nun. I don't see her as jaded, just innocent and confused.

Deafness and daftness are always funny!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
themanwiththegingerhair
Apprentice
# 9691

- Posted      Profile for themanwiththegingerhair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very funny and not a bit offensive.

I hadn't heard it before so it was really unexpected until the very last word which hit me from nowhere.

[Killing me]

Posts: 28 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

Please could we make the content of our posts a little more insightful and encouraging of debate? The voting system is there for you to register your opinion on a couple of issues. The board is here for discussion.

Pyx_e

Hosting

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't find this type of thing funny in the slightest because it just makes fun of someone's idiocy. And obviously, because she's a nun, you shouldn't call her an idiot. Because that's Bad and Wrong. [Roll Eyes]

Offensive? Ha!

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Old Bamber
Apprentice
# 10459

- Posted      Profile for Old Bamber         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not that the nun is an idiot that makes it funny but the thought that an adult could be unaware of what gonnorhea is. That is about innocence and there is a stereotype that rth#e religious are innocent. However we don't expect nuns to be connoiseurs of wine so there is a contrast bewwen the innocence about gonnorhea and the knowledge about wine and it is this juxtaposition which makes it amusing. The fact that it is about sex in a place where there is not supposed to be sex gives it an edge...

--------------------
Philosphers have interpreted the world, our job is to change it.

Posts: 1 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Scooby-Doo
Shipmate
# 9822

- Posted      Profile for Scooby-Doo   Email Scooby-Doo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This one made me seriously belly laugh. But I suspect that says more about me than the joke.

--------------------
Friendships multiply joy and divide grief.

[URL=http://https://[/URL]

Posts: 1036 | From: Dorset | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
DaveF
Apprentice
# 10538

- Posted      Profile for DaveF     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree that it is nice to have innocence as the joke rather than the opposite. In fact it relies on the audience expecting something smutty and so gets one back for the nuns [Smile]

--------------------
DaveF

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016