homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Someone must sleep in the barn

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Someone must sleep in the barn
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by anon:

A Hindu priest, a rabbi and an evangelical Christian were travelling together when they were overcome with fatigue. They stopped at a farmhouse and asked for lodging, but the farmer said he only had room for two. One of them would have to spend the night in the barn.

"I'll go," said the Hindu priest, and off he went. A few minutes later, there was a knock at the back door. There stood the Hindu priest, exclaiming, "There's a cow in there, and cows are sacred in my religion. It would be impossible for me to sleep in the same room as a cow."

The farmer then asked which of the other two would volunteer to sleep in the barn. "I'll go," said the rabbi, and off he went. A few minutes later there was a knock at the back door. It was the rabbi. "There's a pig in that barn. It wouldn't be kosher for me to sleep there. I cannot do it!"

"Oh, all right," said the evangelical. "I'll go," and off he went.

A few moments later there was a knock on the door. It was the pig and the cow.

[ 07. July 2005, 00:02: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 132 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Midnight Scholar
Shipmate
# 9112

- Posted      Profile for Midnight Scholar   Email Midnight Scholar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last time I heard this one, the third member of the party was a lawyer.
The pig and the cow can't stand to spend the night with a lawyer - geddit?
IMO this was much funnier. Wouldn't you have to have a problem with evangelicals to find the quoted version funny? (Though having thought about it, perhaps the guy was from my college CU [Projectile] )

OTOH many, many people find lawyer jokes funny.

mn

--------------------
Men are from Earth. Women are from Earth.
Deal with it.

Posts: 129 | From: out there | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Killing me]

Ahhh, this has given me a good start to the day.

Thank you.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Midnight Scholar:
Wouldn't you have to have a problem with evangelicals to find the quoted version funny?

Not necessarily, I quite like the mental image of the pig and cow knocking on the door.
Mark M
Shipmate
# 9500

- Posted      Profile for Mark M   Author's homepage   Email Mark M   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Back-to-Front:
[Killing me]

Ahhh, this has given me a good start to the day.

Thank you.

Me too! It's amazing how good a good chortle is after a nightshift.

--------------------
I only know three words of Latin: deus caritas est.

Posts: 139 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland UK | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Glimmer

Ship's Lantern
# 4540

- Posted      Profile for Glimmer   Author's homepage   Email Glimmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not funny, just nasty. Very useful for retelling within earshot of a disliked person who happens to be evangelical (or a lawyer or an estate agent or a traffic warden or a politician or .....)

--------------------
The original, unchanged 4540.
The Temple area, Ankh Morpork

Posts: 1749 | From: Ankh Morpork, Dorset | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it with the disliked person being somebody specific (eg Saddam).

Would it have been funnier if it was Fred Phelps?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually there is a gloss that makes it funnier.

When the Hindu comes back, the Conservative Evangelical, says "Well being a Christian we are far more sensible, and have no creature which is either taboo or sacred. So I guess I really should have gone straightaway and left you two with your superstitious religions to share the house".

It changes the point subtly but provocatively.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alan Cresswell

Mad Scientist 先生
# 31

- Posted      Profile for Alan Cresswell   Email Alan Cresswell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I've heard it with the disliked person being somebody specific (eg Saddam).

Would it have been funnier if it was Fred Phelps?

I've certainly heard it with Ian Paisley in place of the generic "evangelical". In that making fun of a whole group of people on the basis of the nature of a few (eg: a few evangelicals can be truly obnoxious, constantly quoting Scripture and trying to convert you just because you happen to be walking past them in the street) is mildly offensive to members of that group, I'd find the same joke with Ian Paisley less offensive. But that might be because Ian Paisley is so offensive.

--------------------
Don't cling to a mistake just because you spent a lot of time making it.

Posts: 32413 | From: East Kilbride (Scotland) or 福島 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yup, tickled my funny bone!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Loved it. Am certain to repeat it! Made me think of certain people in the "tribe" I belong to.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It worked for me, not real ha-ha, but useful for throwing off a bit of built up resentment.
Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I loved (and repeated) this joke on countless occasions during the first ten years after I heard it first - there are all sorts of versions of who the third person is (often Ian Paisley). Trouble is, since the tenth anniversary of my hearing this was about 35 years ago, I just could not manage a laugh yet again.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The thing I find quite interesting is that the ones I find most funny so far are the ones that chime in with my experience, even though that experience is not positive. This one (and even more so another I can't recall right now) are rooted in a form of sectarianism. The Paisley connection was in my head also. Sectarianism has impinged on my life in all sorts of ways - personal, familial and environmental - and it is something that gets me really het up. Yet these are the jokes that have made me laugh, even when I can see a matching offensive element (not this one particularly).

Yet if the joke was explicitly, locally sectarian - the sort of thing I've heard told by orangemen against catholics for instance - I'd have reacted badly. There is obviously some line to be drawn between evoking a familiarity and being truly familiar.

I am not sure where I am going with this. I need to think about it some more.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Og: Thread Killer
Ship's token CN Mennonite
# 3200

- Posted      Profile for Og: Thread Killer     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm.....I wonder what the reaction would be on here if it was Pope Benedict for the 3rd one?

--------------------
I wish I was seeking justice loving mercy and walking humbly but... "Cease to lament for that thou canst not help, And study help for that which thou lament'st."

Posts: 5025 | From: Toronto | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og: Thread Killer:
Hmmm.....I wonder what the reaction would be on here if it was Pope Benedict for the 3rd one?

I am sure that version shall be in circulation as well - though most variations on this joke are generic rather than mentioning anyone specifically, all well-known religious figures are subject for inclusion.

Yet, tired though this old joke is, it would not work if the third person were Benedict or ++Rowan (for example.) They are too polite in manner. For all that Benedict was known as 'grand inquisitor,' his public statements, however exasperating to some, were very academic in tone. Ian Paisley, John Selby Spong, Falwell (just to name a few - and I'm not equating the three!) had the manner of the 'troublemaker' at times and enjoyed being controversial.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
'Evangelical' is just too broad a category for the joke to work for me. You need to have some definite characteristic that the cow and pig object to, and there isn't one in this version I first heard it as 'lawyer' and that does work.

This is a joke where the whole point is to laugh at someone. Not necessarily in a spiteful way, but it must at least provide a meaningful target. We all know that lawyers are (in joke-land) grasping and unscrupulous lowlifes, so it's funny that animals run away from them. There isn't a similar convention that evangelicals are ... whatever it is that offends cows and pigs ... so in this version it falls flat.

[ 08. July 2005, 18:01: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Belisarius
Lord Bountiful of Admin (Emeritus) Delights
# 32

- Posted      Profile for Belisarius   Email Belisarius   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I orginally heard this as a Polish joke; as mentioned elsewhere on this Board, there indeed are probably only a finite number of joke formats.

--------------------
Animals may be Evolution's Icing, but Bacteria are the Cake.
Andrew Knoll

Posts: 8080 | From: New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lurker McLurker™

Ship's stowaway
# 1384

- Posted      Profile for Lurker McLurker™     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It does sound like a reworked version of a non-christian joke. This is a subgenre of christain humour actually, there are quite a few of these kind of jokes around.

--------------------
Just War Theory- a perversion of morality?

Posts: 5661 | From: Raxacoricofallapatorius | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
themanwiththegingerhair
Apprentice
# 9691

- Posted      Profile for themanwiththegingerhair     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Eliab mentioned I don't believe that "evangelicals" are enough of a defined character for the joke to work.

I might have a different understanding of the word to some of the other posters because I apply the term to virtually all "believing" protestant Christians.

The joke though is clearly set up to offend the 3rd group. As it isn't funny (there is nothing obvious about evangelical Christians that would offend a pig) then it is an insult and not a joke.

Posts: 28 | From: Birmingham | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
kempis3
Shipmate
# 9792

- Posted      Profile for kempis3         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Made my day.

Many thanks.

--------------------
Man plots -- God laughs.

Posts: 148 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apperently - I don't have permission to vote here :'(

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by themanwiththegingerhair:
As Eliab mentioned I don't believe that "evangelicals" are enough of a defined character for the joke to work.

I might have a different understanding of the word to some of the other posters because I apply the term to virtually all "believing" protestant Christians.

The joke though is clearly set up to offend the 3rd group. As it isn't funny (there is nothing obvious about evangelical Christians that would offend a pig) then it is an insult and not a joke.

Why do you consider most protestant Christians to be evangelical? And why do you qualify it with "believing?" Believing what? What would be on the other side from that, protestant Christians who have no idea what they've signed up for? It seems to me that if a person is designated as a Christian, there is a strong implication that he or she believes something, at least. I may have misunderstood your meaning, since I am a little confused and trying not to take offense when I am sure it is not meant.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by themanwiththegingerhair:

I'm neither an evangelical nor a protestant, but I find this sentence extremely offensive.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hosting

A couple of posts by MT and themanwiththegingerhair on this subject are in order that it may be clarified will be OK. Other interested parties should start a thread in either Purgatory or Hell. In a short term project like this we need to avoid tangents and stick to the theme, there are plenty of other opportunities and places on board to discuss such points.

Pyx_e

Hosting

[ 31. July 2005, 11:07: Message edited by: Pyx_e ]

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016