homepage
  ship of fools rowers  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Things we did   » The Laugh Judgment   » Priest and pimple (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Priest and pimple
Simon

Editor
# 1

- Posted      Profile for Simon   Author's homepage   Email Simon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Joke submitted by AliasSmithandJones:

What's the difference between a priest and a pimple?

A pimple waits until you're 13 before coming on your face.

[ 15. July 2005, 09:15: Message edited by: Simon ]

Poll information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 133 user(s) have voted.
You can't view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote now     View poll results

--------------------
Eternal memory

Posts: 3787 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Newman's Own
Shipmate
# 420

- Posted      Profile for Newman's Own     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry, Pyx_e, but this time I'll be very brief. I found this joke to be disgusting. It brought to mind, all too clearly, the horror of tiny children having certain priests force them into sexual acts.

Of course, I'm equally sensitive about the dreadful stereotypes of RC priests all being paedophiles because I know some very fine ones who have found that they can no longer be available for pastoral care or work with the young (in a fashion that helped many people in the past) because of the constant fear of being accused though they did no wrong. In the current climate, people will assume all priests are paedophiles and not even wait to hear the true story.

--------------------
Cheers,
Elizabeth
“History as Revelation is seldom very revealing, and histories of holiness are full of holes.” - Dermot Quinn

Posts: 6740 | From: Library or pub | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Neither funny, nor witty; plays with cliches, and rather distasteful ones.

I've really heard, and had, enough of those judgmental so-called jokes, or attitudes, regarding so-called pedophile RC (or other) priests.

This is more of a sexual joke or pun, though not particularly interesting, except probably to some young lads of a certain age. I find it rather offensive, not as a 'Christian' joke (which it definitely isn't: the target could be a gay person, quite simply), but because it just repeats those endless accusations and cliche-ridden statements about RC priests, and boys - which facts are very sad and destructive, yet I don't believe, to be generalised.

Secondly, it pokes fun at (I guess) justifed, or righteous, sexual pleasure which again can be part of a loving (and certainly also Christian) relationship.

It seems sad that two potentially potent (sic!) puns about two totally different groups of people, i.e. youngsters and RC priests, plus a basically beautiful, mighty power should be matched in such an unlucky context.

Thumbs down.

[ 13. July 2005, 12:51: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
alienfromzog

Ship's Alien
# 5327

- Posted      Profile for alienfromzog   Email alienfromzog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Child abuse can never be funny

--------------------
Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.
[Sen. D.P.Moynihan]

An Alien's View of Earth - my blog (or vanity exercise...)

Posts: 2150 | From: Zog, obviously! Straight past Alpha Centauri, 2nd planet on the left... | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
SteveTom
Contributing Editor
# 23

- Posted      Profile for SteveTom   Author's homepage   Email SteveTom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Offence, at last!

--------------------
I saw a naked picture of me on the internet
Wearing Jesus's new snowshoes.
Well, golly gee.
- Eels

Posts: 1363 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ummm, Simon, haven't there been enough of this type of "joke" posted to get the consensus here? That is, haven't we said, repeatedly, that jokes about child sexual abuse are simply NOT FUNNY and SIGNIFICANTLY OFFENSIVE?

Because, quite frankly, I'm sick of clicking on a new "joke" and seeing this sort of thing. I hope for a laugh, and get pain. Not the best way to start my morning.

Posts: 795 | From: Indiana, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At long last.

--------------------
'Now if you'll excuse me, I have to appear on a tortilla in Mexico...'
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

- Posted      Profile for Ancient Mariner*     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by HoosierNan:
Ummm, Simon, haven't there been enough of this type of "joke" posted to get the consensus here? That is, haven't we said, repeatedly, that jokes about child sexual abuse are simply NOT FUNNY and SIGNIFICANTLY OFFENSIVE?

Oh, we have been sent worse than this, HoosierNan, believe me.

At last we are beginning to discover the hot buttons. Clearly, anything to do with the vulnerability of children and religious authority figures hits us at a very deep level.

--------------------
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Posts: 1087 | From: St Helens (near Liverpool) UK | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Archimandrite
Shipmate
# 3997

- Posted      Profile for Archimandrite   Author's homepage   Email Archimandrite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I must add that I don't think it's particularly well-written either. "...Coming on your face" doesn't seem right in the context of a pimple, and is only there for the single entendre. It isn't only a bad joke, it's a bad pun, and not in a Richard Whiteley (RIP) way.

--------------------
"Loyal Anglican" (Warning: General Synod may differ).

Posts: 1580 | From: Oxford | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Because, quite frankly, I'm sick of clicking on a new "joke" and seeing this sort of thing. I hope for a laugh, and get pain. Not the best way to start my morning.

Then maybe it's about expectations. The intro from the thread 'About the Laugh Judgement' says:

quote:
This thread is not to talk about particular jokes, but about comedy and blasphemy in general, and about the Laugh Judgment competition.

What is it about offensive jokes that offends?
Is anything too sacred for laughter?
Where do you draw your line, if anywhere?
Can you find something funny and blasphemous at the same time?
Is this whole exercise thought-provoking, scandalous, or a complete joke?

Let us have your thoughts, complaints, insights and holy quips.

Having read this and applying it to the Laugh Judgement board as a whole, I click on a new joke and expect - possibly - to see something offensive, blasphemous or funny. Just like it says on the tin.

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear, we are a humorless lot.

At first I thought the joke was merely distasteful and somewhat dumb. Then, as I made my way through all the hyperventilating comments above (imagine the Saturday Night Live Church Lady saying: "Child abuse can never be funny"), somehow the sky began to brighten and I found myself chuckling over it, finding it stupidly amusing.

Do we think the sidesplitting South Park rendition of the Aristocrats is funny? I guess not. How about the sex scenes in Augusten Burroughs's memoir, Running with Scissors? Hmm, absolutely no humor there, I suppose.

Oh, dear.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Too bad for you. Not everyone has exactly the same reaction to these things. It was exactly because I recognized the higher level of offense in this joke that I winced and smiled at the same time.

I like sick jokes. I like dirty jokes. I like rude jokes. I like offensive jokes. I say bring 'em on.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by alienfromzog:
Child abuse can never be funny

True. But jokes about it can be.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

- Posted      Profile for HoosierNan   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
See how funny you find these jokes after going in to work at the psychiatric hospital, and realizing that 26 out of 26 children and adolescents on the inpatient unit have a history of child sexual abuse victimization. That the average incidence of such victimization on the inpatient unit is 85%. That there has never been a single day in the 3 years you worked there that the rate of victimization among the inpatient minors was less than 50%.

Of course, if you folks do think this is funny, maybe I can find a joke about female genital mutilation; I already have my father's disgusting repetoire of anti-black, anti-day, anti-woman jokes. Like this one:

A man and woman got married in 1880 in the American West, and were riding to their new home the next day in their mule-driven cart. The mule suddenly stops in the road. The man beats the mule until it begins to walk again, and says, "That's once." The mule balks a second time; the man says, "That's twice," beats the mule, and the mule continues down the road. The third time the mule stops, the man says, "That's three times," gets out his gun, and shoots the mule dead.

The man and his wife get out of the cart and start to walk. The wife says, "You really shouldn't have beaten and shot the mule." The man strikes her across the face, knocking her down, and says, "That's once."

My father thought that was uproariously funny. Strange, my mother and I didn't.

jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I do find that joke amusing as well.

Sweetie, I was sexually abused as a child, too. I was also exposed to the healing power of black humor.

And I did say that there isn't anything funny about the actual abuse itself.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Bede's American Successor

Curmudgeon-in-Training
# 5042

- Posted      Profile for The Bede's American Successor   Author's homepage   Email The Bede's American Successor   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Too bad for you. Not everyone has exactly the same reaction to these things. It was exactly because I recognized the higher level of offense in this joke that I winced and smiled at the same time.

I like sick jokes. I like dirty jokes. I like rude jokes. I like offensive jokes. I say bring 'em on.

I would only ask that he not post any more for about a week or so. It feels like I'm reading the same joke on almost every thread. They can be funny, but not in every thread.

Give me something new, please.

--------------------
This was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride of wealth and food in plenty, comfort and ease, and yet she never helped the poor and the wretched.

—Ezekiel 16.49

Posts: 6079 | From: The banks of Possession Sound | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another abuse survivor in the "child abuse isn't funny" camp.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A man and woman got married in 1880 in the American West, and were riding to their new home the next day in their mule-driven cart. The mule suddenly stops in the road. The man beats the mule until it begins to walk again, and says, "That's once." The mule balks a second time; the man says, "That's twice," beats the mule, and the mule continues down the road. The third time the mule stops, the man says, "That's three times," gets out his gun, and shoots the mule dead.
The man and his wife get out of the cart and start to walk. The wife says, "You really shouldn't have beaten and shot the mule." The man strikes her across the face, knocking her down, and says, "That's once."

That's a good one, Nancy! Nicely told.
Reminds me of a favorite of mine:
quote:
Q: What do you tell a woman with two black eyes?
A: Nothing you haven't told her twice before!

But to get back on topic, I got a bit of a giggle out of this joke. But I also found it a bit offensive. The difference, though, between this one and the one about giving a pedophile a parish, is that this one actually had enough thought put into it to devise a decent pun. The other is just another "priests molest kids! It's funny!" thing.

Sieg

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ancient Mariner*
SOF Co-editor
# 105

Folks, a reminder of a rule for this board (see first thread)

Please could you avoid adding jokes to the threads. They tend to be either distracting (and we end up discussing the later joke) or for the peanut gallery. Which is of course not such a bad thing but we are trying to discuss the nature of what is blasphemous, in poor taste or offensive and how any or all of that could be funny.

--------------------
Jesus to Homer Simpson

Zeke
Ship's Inquirer
# 3271

- Posted      Profile for Zeke   Email Zeke   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought this one was disgusting, the sort that adolescents and very rude adults might tell. I didn't find it funny at all--a joke has to be better than this to be funny to me in spite of it being so crude (and jokes like this about priests are getting very old, even if some of them were funny to begin with). I would have been somewhat offended if somebody told me this, and I am still thinking about why. I suppose because I know there are an awful lot of very dedicated priests out there that are being tarred unfairly with this sort of joke, and also because I would feel I had been misjudged as a person if somebody thought I would find this hilarious.

--------------------
No longer the Bishop of Durham
-----------
If men are so wicked with religion, what would they be without it? --Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 5259 | From: Deep in the American desert | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Projectile]

I wouldn't mind the graphic imagery if the joke were actually clever. But how hard can it be to make a pun on the word "come"?

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
come again ?

P

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's really the only taboo left though, isn't it. Pretty much the only thing that virtually everyone will agree is unacceptable and therefore offensive.
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
come again ?

P

[Razz]

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These sort of jokes stay under my radar because I make a point of stopping ppl who attempt -ist and molester jokes in my presence.

I just have to say: 'Why?' Why a priest? Why not substitute your common or garden paedophile? Would you still laugh? Not only is the subject matter 'off' but it reinforces the notion that paedophiles are common in the priesthood.

If you are an abuse survivor that can laugh at this sort of joke, more power to you - but I doubt that's the majority response. I would rather leave out this 'humour' than cause hurt/trigger about this to one of my listeners.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ricardus:
But how hard can it be to make a pun on the word "come"?

I was at a summer camp with loose church connections... they had visiting priests up once a week for camp services. That year, they were working through the seasons and festivals of the Christian Year - I was there for 'Advent'. Silly Chaplain... they used the 'litany for Advent'... the one that uses as a response the phrase 'Come, Lord Jesus, Come'. They asked a room full of 80 kids and teens to repeat, over and over and over again, 'Come, Lord Jesus, Come'.

And they did it all with the innocence of one who never even thought about any second meaning of the word.

Now that was funny.

This joke isn't. It's too crass, too vulgar, a weak pun, and a tired assumption that all priests are predators.

I wonder, too, if conversation doesn't get scattered among too many threads when too many jokes on the same theme show up. The conversation about 'What do you give the paedophile who has everything?' has ground to a halt since this joke was posted.

[ 14. July 2005, 20:49: Message edited by: Fool of a Took ]

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Evangeline
Shipmate
# 7002

- Posted      Profile for Evangeline   Email Evangeline   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is off topic and I'll probably get into trouble but

Hoosiernan-that terrible joke about shooting the horse etc-can I say without a word of a lie that I heard a minister tell that joke in his sermon IN A WEDDING. I kid you not, an Anglican church in Sydney about 4 years ago I was dumbfounded.

Those statistics you mention about the impact of child sexual abuse are truly horrifying, I think that jokes about paedophilia, like racism or sexism tend to minimise the evil of it and for that reason I find the jokes offensive and am going to give this thread a miss in future-I don't want to participate in minimising evil.

Posts: 2871 | From: "A capsule of modernity afloat in a wild sea" | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

As usual, in my class on developmental psychology, I talked about child sexual abuse. I told the class that, using the best available estimates, about 1 in 20 adult males is a perpetrator, about 1 in 10 boys is a victim, and about 1 in 4 girls is a victim. One of the male students expressed surprise that there could be so many female victims.

So, I quickly counted. There were 12 women in the room. I told the class that I would expect that there would be 2 other child sexual abuse survivors besides myself. Unbidden, two women raised their hands.

After class, another woman came up and said that she was another survivor of such abuse, at the hands of her father. And she's an emotional mess--taking medication for depression and anxiety, carrying 3 different psychiatric diagnoses. As I previously mentioned, although you see the (best guess) estimates of the number of victims overall, I never saw any fewer than 50% of psychiatric inpatients under the age of 18 who were victims of child sexual abuse, in three years at that hospital. (The day that 100% of the children/adolescents on the acute inpatient unit were abuse survivors, I told the staff that I had to get out of there--I went walking in the woods at a state park until I could get my head cleared a little.)

I'm just saying that this happens every semester. NOT ONCE in a group of women have I mentioned child sexual abuse and FAILED to get at least 1/4 of the women to say that they were victims. And I NEVER ask for a show of hands--they just want to talk about it and about preventing it. There are a lot of us out there who are not finding these jokes the least bit funny, because there is too much raw pain in these memories.

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I always figured that some survivors (and loved ones of survivors) of deep hurts like child sexual abuse enjoy the "black humor" --

The "triage humor", the "M*A*S*H" humor" --

Of jokes on the topic, because to be able to scorn the perp and laugh at the puns, etc., gives one a bit of power over him/her/them.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are a lot of us out there who are not finding these jokes the least bit funny, because there is too much raw pain in these memories.

Then why not just avoid the Laugh Judgment board altogether? You figured out by July 13 that a lot of the jokes offend you. So why not just spare yourself?
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is the most revolting and offensive joke I've read to date. Not funny either (though Hoosier Nan's was).

This was just completely disgusting and had no reddeming humour values! [Projectile]

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why do you think that?

P

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have found the paedophilic priest jokes to be very offensive. Hoosier has given an excellent explaination of why those jokes are so offensive to some of us, and not just those who have experienced sexual child abuse.

I understand what Janine has said about the use of black humour. Perhaps for many it is too raw to joke about.

The other jokes that I have found offensive have been the ones that make a joke of parts of the Creeds. I have no idea how I would rate the sexual abuse jokes along side the Creed jokes. They push different buttons. Thinking about it, the sexual abuse is worse for me because it involves children. I suppose God is big enough to look after himself!

The quote from Spurgeon seems apt:
"Defend the Bible? I'd rather defend a lion... what we need to do is just let it out of the cage"

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pyx_e:
Why do you think that?

P

"coz it didn't involve a priest. It was still offensive, but not revolting; it was somewhat funny.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So sexual abuse of children = not funny.
Violent abuse of women = funny.

The difference? Number one involves a priest.

[Roll Eyes]

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pax Romana
Shipmate
# 4653

- Posted      Profile for Pax Romana   Email Pax Romana   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, let's see. It pokes fun of child abuse and it perpetuates a false stereotype. I would say that makes it pretty offensive.

And no, it's not funny.

Most priests (RC and others) are good men who are trying to do their work the best way they know how and who would never think of hurting a child. The actions of a few degenerate predators and the bad choices made by some of the hierarchy are unfortunately being reflected on all of us in the RC church right now.

So this joke hits me too close to home.

But it would be equally offensive if it were directed at the clergy of any religion.

And oh yeah -- that joke about the man, his bvride and the mule -- I winced at that the first time I heard it 30 years ago, and I still do. Violence against women is not funny.

Pax Romana

[ 25. July 2005, 13:14: Message edited by: Pax Romana ]

--------------------
I used to wake up at 4 A.M. and start sneezing, sometimes for five hours. I tried to find out what sort of allergy I had but finally came to the conclusion that it must be an allergy to consciousness.
James Thurber

Posts: 4598 | From: New York City | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Fiddleback
Shipmate
# 2809

- Posted      Profile for Fiddleback     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's stupid.
It's short.
It has a crap pun.
It maintains an unfair stereotype.
It is thoroughly offensive.

All the ingredients for an hilarious joke, in fact. It's the only one so far I've bothered texting to anyone else.

Marquis
Apprentice
# 9750

- Posted      Profile for Marquis   Email Marquis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This joked sucked (no pun intended), was designed to be wildly offensive....and that is why it fails. I put it in the "tries too hard" catagory.

What I find really interesting is the idea that people want to single out this kind of issue with humour, whilst allowing all manner of other things to go unheaded. I think this speaks to the fundamental question ebing raised by these current topics. The subject of child abuse is now "off limits" to society as a whole, leaving a big gaping hole into which all manner of bullshit and spurious opinions are poured. In effect, that is what Blair wants to achieve with banning "offensive" commenty on faith.

If even we here can't handle the uncomfortable essence of deliberate offence, then we should get down off of our high horse about what is fair comment from our politicians, friends, so on and so forth.

I find many things offensive...but most of all I dislike people attempting to censor what I should hear. [Biased]

--------------------
"I believe that the words Favour", "Owe", and "Big" were used....."

Posts: 28 | From: NYC | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
HoosierNan
Shipmate
# 91

From a post by Ruth W:
quote:
quote:
There are a lot of us out there who are not finding these jokes the least bit funny, because there is too much raw pain in these memories.
Then why not just avoid the Laugh Judgment board altogether? You figured out by July 13 that a lot of the jokes offend you. So why not just spare yourself?

Because, if people like myself just leave, there will be no one to stand up for my point of view.
Cosmo
Shipmate
# 117

- Posted      Profile for Cosmo         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
From a post by Ruth W:
quote:
quote:

Because, if people like myself just leave, there will be no one to stand up for my point of view.
Yes, but the problem is that you seem to think your point of view is somehow better than others andthat because you don't like this joke (for all the terribly earnest reasons you give us) therefore it and jokes like it SHOULD NOT BE TOLD.

Yes of course this was a crude joke and yes, paedophile priest jokes are becoming rather a tired genre. But the joke still made me laugh, rather more than the one your father told. What does that make me? Less of a person than you? Someone whose opinion concerning which jokes should and should not be allowed must be disregarded in favour of Censor Nancy's?

Not only that but you seem to forget that everybody can claim some sort of victim status. I could give you all sorts of thinigs about me which mean, according to your logic, certain jokes should never be told. But what's the point of that? We would end up with no jokes at all (because almost all jokes involve a victim somewhere) or painfully unfunny 'Why did the Chicken cross the road?' jokes.

Nothing is off limits when it comes to a joke.

Cosmo

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If nobody was offended by any joke, this board woudl become awfully boring, and Simon would have nothing to write about.
I'm glad some people have found something offensive, because that I think is the whole point of the project. The trick, though, is to discover just where the point at which a joke trips over to offensiveness lies.

(Writing the above because I'm concerned that people who find the jokes offensive disappear in a state of hurt rather than explaining on the board why they find them offensive. If they don't explain, we would be none the wiser).

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally think this has come closest to offending me so far but as I am still trying to make sense of the joke I am not sure. I have to keep swapping "in" for "on" and back again.

So why offensive, because it comes so closest as you can get in a joke to calling a group of people names. There is no side story, or diversion skill, even the pun has to be worked at to be got. I think I would find it equally problematic if "priests" were swapped with say "gays" or "blacks".

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
from chorister:
quote:
I'm glad some people have found something offensive, because that I think is the whole point of the project. The trick, though, is to discover just where the point at which a joke trips over to offensiveness lies.

(Writing the above because I'm concerned that people who find the jokes offensive disappear in a state of hurt rather than explaining on the board why they find them offensive. If they don't explain, we would be none the wiser).

Exactly. Cosmo seems to miss the point of the exercise.
Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Raspberry Rabbit

Will preach for food
# 3080

- Posted      Profile for Raspberry Rabbit   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
what a terrible joke
shame!

----------

If the acolyte does not fit you must aquit

--------------------
...naked pirates not respecting boundaries...
(((BLOG)))

Posts: 2215 | From: In the middle of France | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Originally posted by (gracia):
from chorister:
quote:

Exactly. Cosmo seems to miss the point of the exercise.
No, I don't think so--it's HoosierNan who is missing the point of the exercise. Cosmo did not say HoosierNan shouldn't be offended or that she shouldn't say she was offended. HoosierNan is the one who posted something addressed directly to Simon saying that he should stop posting jokes having to do with child abuse; she's wants to say which jokes can be part of this little experiment and which can't. HoosierNan more than once explained why she finds these jokes offensive.
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not funny, but grossly offensive and stupid.

This is like the "Girl on the cliff joke". The only other joke that has offended me so far.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Papio

Ship's baboon
# 4201

- Posted      Profile for Papio   Email Papio   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The joke is also not blasphemous. Just stupid to the point of extreme, almost unparalleled, inanity (it doesn't actually make a point. Not even a stupid one) and offensive to the point that it makes me want to vomit.

And I do agree that it is now crystal clear that large numbers of us do not like jokes about child sex abuse.

--------------------
Infinite Penguins.
My "Readit, Swapit" page
My "LibraryThing" page

Posts: 12176 | From: a zoo in England. | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
from RuthW
quote:
Chorister, I thought, answered this well. How can the people who say they are offended feel welcome?

when cosmo says,
quote:
Yes, but the problem is that you seem to think your point of view is somehow better than others andthat because you don't like this joke (for all the terribly earnest reasons you give us) therefore it and jokes like it SHOULD NOT BE TOLD.
- added to what you said to Nan above, how are you going to get them to keep posting their honest opinions?

Or, maybe the point of the exercise is that no-one should ever be offended?

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

# 13

Maybe they can't feel welcome--I can't speak for them in this regard--but they are welcome. The reason that I suggested that HoosierNan avoid the board altogether--not something I have suggested to anyone else offended by a joke here--is not because she was offended but because she expected to be protected from that offense after having found that she disliked joke after joke after joke, and such protection is not reasonable to expect. She wanted Simon to stop posting child abuse jokes because she finds them offensive. The only way she can be reasonably sure of not being offended is to stay off the Laugh Judgement board.

The board's header blurb says, "We want to discover more about the line between humour and offense". It seems to me that a reasonable person can conclude from that that they might be offended by at least a few of the jokes. If someone is so offended they can't bring themselves to discuss a particular joke, of course their viewpoint will not be represented, but there's not anything anyone else can do about that.

HoosierNan has every right to be offended and to say so. But when she says a certain kind of joke should not be told at all on a board devoted to discussion of what religious jokes are and are not offensive, she's being quite unreasonable.

Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

Hosting

We need to centre this thread around the joke. The thread titled "About the Laugh Judgement" is available for further discussion on the broader topic of uncomfortable topics of humour.

I have suggested on that thread and I repeat here that if anyone has a big problem with this topic they take it to the Styx as a matter of ship policy, please.

Pyx_e

Hosting

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016