homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » High Church CofE in London (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: High Church CofE in London
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by *Leon*:
The Prayer Book Society is of the opinion that if you are doing a 1662 service, you should be using the AV.

I've always thought this is unnecessary, in the same way that frequently, before Vatican II, mass would be said in Latin but the readings in English. The stuff that's read week-by-week (the "ordinary") can be studied and understood over time, but the readings that you get once a year or three years need to be understood immediately.

Perhaps it's a little inconsistent (though the NRSV generally preserves the cadences of the AV fairly well) but worship oughtn't solely to be about preserving a relic of the past.

Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
/minor tangent/

It seems that St. Barnabas, Pimlico, is now once more flying solo, and is no longer in plurality with Bourne Street.

Ian J.

St Barnabas now has its own priest in charge and are exploring their viability as their own parish again. St Mary's and St Barnabas are quite different places in spite of their shared history with the latter being much more parish church and modern catholic in emphasis I'd say. St Mary's isn't everyone's cup of tea, particularly if worshippers are looking for a particular pigeon hole. Currently served by the wonderful Fr Neil Bunker supported by a number of assisting clergy including the former vicar, Fr Bill Scott.
Posts: 241 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just spotted your reply, Incensed. I'm pleased to hear St. Barnabas is doing well, though I doubt if it's quite the OPer's cup of tea..

Do they still host a Mar Thoma congregation? That would be an interesting subject for a Mystery Worshipper report.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anybody mentioned this one?
Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

- Posted      Profile for Incensed     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Just spotted your reply, Incensed. I'm pleased to hear St. Barnabas is doing well, though I doubt if it's quite the OPer's cup of tea..

Do they still host a Mar Thoma congregation? That would be an interesting subject for a Mystery Worshipper report.

IJ

Melkites, yes...
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O - my mistake. Why did I think they hosted a Mar Thoma congo?

I don't think the C of E is in communion with the Melkites, but it's still good that the two congos can share the building.

Re Angloid's question about St. George, Hanover Square, it was mentioned earlier in the thread. Worth a visit by the OPer, I guess.

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Don't think anyone's mentioned The Annunciation Marble Arch yet. It looks pretty high church to me, though to my non-conformist eyes, once you've got robes and liturgy, the rest of all rather the same.

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

I went to The Annunciation some few years ago for their Feast of Title service. It was indeed quite high up the candle (an image of Our Lady was carried in procession by four stout lads), but I couldn't tell you what rite was used - it was difficult to see the service book, anyway, on account of the drifting smoke...

Beautiful church, though, and well worth a visit.

IJ

--------------------

Sipech
Shipmate
# 16870

- Posted      Profile for Sipech   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, there doesn't seem to be an MW report on it yet, and there's 'A Service of Traditional Lessons & Carols' on a Saturday evening next month...... [Two face]

--------------------
I try to be self-deprecating; I'm just not very good at it.
Twitter: http://twitter.com/TheAlethiophile

Posts: 3791 | From: On the corporate ladder | Registered: Jan 2012  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sipech:
Don't think anyone's mentioned The Annunciation Marble Arch yet. It looks pretty high church to me, though to my non-conformist eyes, once you've got robes and liturgy, the rest of all rather the same.

It looks interesting. Inclusive: the assistant priest lives with his civil partner (so do many other priests but don't usually publicise the fact on a website). They seem to have a flourishing Sunday School which suggests a 'normal' parish despite the location. Should be worth checking out. I see that they are no longer directly served by ASMS clergy but maintain a close association.
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

It does indeed look interesting, and I wonder what their stance is regarding women priests?

With a Sunday School of around 100 each week, they're clearly doing something right!

IJ

--------------------

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I should think the Annunciation is beyond high church and outright Anglo-Catholic. I even seem to recall it figuring in Yelton's Anglican Papalism, though it appears not to have found favour with FiF in more recent years.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you might expect, Sipech, there are as many tribal variations at the high end of the candle as there are across the non-conformist and evangelical spectrum.

I'm not among the cognoscenti as very high Anglican parishes are few and far between in this diocese.

I know enough, though to recognise the broad tribes and also old enough to remember when Geneva gowns and a certain amount of regalia could be found in some non-conformist settings.

As you'll appreciate, there are gradations. So the presence of robes and a degree of ceremonial does not, in and of itself, denote a 'high' inclination.

Where the lower end of the candle blends with the middle and where the middle segues into the 'nose-bleed high' is something the cognoscenti can tell us. FWIW it's as much to do with particular actions and so on as it is to do with garb - and of course, these days plenty of evangelical Anglican clergy eschew any form of clerical dress or regalia. Spoil-sports ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As you might expect, Sipech, there are as many tribal variations at the high end of the candle as there are across the non-conformist and evangelical spectrum.

I'm not among the cognoscenti but know enough, though to recognise the broad tribes and also old enough to remember when Geneva gowns and a certain amount of regalia could be found in some non-conformist settings.

There are gradations. The presence of robes and a degree of ceremonial does not, in and of itself, denote a 'high' inclination.

Where the lower end of the candle blends with the middle and where the middle segues into the 'nose-bleed high' is something the cognoscenti can tell us. FWIW it's as much to do with particular actions and so on as it is to do with garb - and of course, these days plenty of evangelical Anglican clergy eschew any form of clerical dress or regalia. Spoil-sports ...

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:

It's getting more and more difficult to tell! Just as there are many (more?) evangelical clergy who lead worship in street clothes , there are many fewer who would refuse to wear traditional vestments on principle. So you may have a church with an anglo-catholic tradition but an evangelical vicar, and to the non-cognoscenti the services might appear 'high church'. And there always have been catholically-inclined clergy ministering in 'lower' churches. St Augustine's Queens Gate, in London, has a long anglo-catholic tradition and is now an offshoot of Holy Trinity Brompton, who I understand maintain the morning Sung Mass alongside popular gospel services.

The main distinction at the top of the candle now is between Forward in Faith (the anti-women-priest organisation) and the rest; just as I imagine there are Reform churches - evangelical, not keen on women priests and even less keen on gay ones - in amongst the less doctrinaire evangelical ones. These differences may be expressed in the style of worship but it isn't an infallible guide.

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
St Augustine's AIUI moved to vers pop in surplice and stole.
Ratratrat
Apprentice
# 18669

- Posted      Profile for Ratratrat     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello all, hope you've had a very blessed Christmas.

Could anyone who's familiar with it tell me anything about the worship at the Temple Church other than what's written on their website (choral BCP services with *Mattins* as the main Sunday service - you don't see that very often).

Thanks all.

Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

Welcome! The Temple Church has been Mystery Worshipped once (at Evensong): the reviewer describes it as "Very middle Anglican, not high ... but very formal."
Incensed
Shipmate
# 2670

And I see exciting news at St Mary's Bourne Street yesterday http://www.stmarysbournest.com/news/entry/appointment_of_a_new_vicar
A new era begins!

venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow. I went on a psycho synthesis retreat with him 15 years ago or so at a Jesuit retreat house at Warrington

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016