homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » LGBTQ Pride Services

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: LGBTQ Pride Services
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just wondering (and I first asked this in All Saints) - can we have Mystery Worshipper reports for Pride services?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pangolin Guerre
Shipmate
# 18686

- Posted      Profile for Pangolin Guerre   Email Pangolin Guerre   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think that that would be a very good idea. The few which I've attended have stretched from the idiotic to the genuinely touching and beautiful. Have at!
Posts: 758 | From: 30 arpents de neige | Registered: Nov 2016  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It shouldn't be a problem. Anyone interested should simply contact the Mysterious Angels that oversee MW and set a visit up ...

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[PS Hosting ]

That said and the point made I'll shut this thread if there's no emergent discussion ... Leo (or anyone) do you want to make a discussion point of this at all?

[PS /Hosting ]

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've received no reports so far. You all know where to find me if you have one to file and don't know how. Leo's wishes re closing the thread or keeping it open will be fine with me.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I for one need to ask - what is a Pride Service?

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ˇFelices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm kind of curious myself. I have generally attended GLBTQ-friendly liturgical Episcopal churches in my life. So while the church might have a booth at Pridefest (and likewise a group marching in the AIDS walk), Pride gets sort of the same treatment as Father's Day or any other significant secular holiday- maybe a mention in the Prayers of the People, maybe well-wishes before and after the service, but nothing specific.

I did attend a church in New York which used "Lift Every Voice and Sing" as the Offertory Hymn on the Sunday of Pride. But I'm not sure if it was to mark the occasion, or because it was appropriate to the readings. (One of the servers that day was both black and gay, and having survived two civil rights movements in his lifetime, he seemed pretty touched by the marriage of hymn and date).

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
stonespring
Shipmate
# 15530

- Posted      Profile for stonespring     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It really depends on the denomination and congregation. In the RCC, especially in big cities, there are often parishes that are known as "places of refuge" for LGBTI+ people - queer folk are not the majority, but they are made to feel very welcome in an outspoken way, and the diocese tolerates this (at least while the current bishop is in power - the more money the parish brings in, the safer it is). The Pride Masses at these parishes will often be quite emotional, be attended by veterans of the early LGBT rights movement and the AIDS crisis, etc., and will emphasize that many RCs today, especially those from immigrant backgrounds and RCs of color, continue to feel that they cannot practice their faith and be out - or that they will be rejected by family and friends of faith if they come out - and these Masses try to create a religious space of belonging for them. At many parishes the Pride Mass is a weekday evening service so that it does not take the place of a Sunday Mass, but at one prominent LGBT+ friendly parish in NYC there is a Sunday Mass before the annual pride parade that is known as the annual Pride Mass (this parish also has numerous Masses hosted by its Gay Catholics and Gay Lesbians ministries throughout the year). These are the Pride services I am most familiar with.

I am curious what pride services are like in:

-moderately to very liberal denominations (US Episcopalians, ELCA, PCUSA, UCC), within liberal parishes where support for gay rights is pretty much a given so pride services aren't as much about reaching out to the closeted who feel they could never feel welcomed at church - since most people who come to that parish probably already know it is welcoming

-evangelical churches that are welcoming to LGBT+ folk

-gay-friendly C of E parishes (to compare them with gay friendly RC parishes, seeing that at the moment the C of E still equivocates on a lot of LGBT+ issues still).

BabyWombat
Shipmate
# 18552

- Posted      Profile for BabyWombat   Email BabyWombat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’m the second out priest to serve in my liberal TEC parish in a liberal diocese in liberal New England…… and the idea of pride events seems so “yesterday’s news” in many ways. We don't have them. The nearest big town TEC parish has “We Welcome Everyone” permanently painted on their signboard, and hangs a rainbow flag outside for Pride Month……. I guess we’re all sort of boringly integrated and happy to welcome whoever shows up.

--------------------
Let us, with a gladsome mind…..

Posts: 102 | From: US | Registered: Feb 2016  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ecclesiastical Flip-flop:

A special service before the Pride march starts off. My church held one for several years.

It's rumoured that our cathedral may be holding one this year - as it's General Synod, the staff that i know will be away so i might be able to MW it and dclare that the leaders are inknown to me.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not aware of any here in the Church of Ireland, although several places have services to mark IDAHOT day. These usual consist of evening services with non-denominational hymns and prayers.

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've not come across IDAHOT Day, but presumably it's International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia ...yes?

Even though the acronym doesn't quite fit....
[Paranoid]

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

A special service before the Pride march starts off. My church held one for several years.

It's rumoured that our cathedral may be holding one this year - as it's General Synod, the staff that i know will be away so i might be able to MW it and dclare that the leaders are inknown to me.

Pide march to me, begs the question. What you don't go on to say Leo, is that it is to do with gays and lesbians. I have just googled this and I am a bit wiser now. I can also discern from the build-up of posts on this thread.

Up until now, this subject has been a closed book to me. Where have I been all these years??!!

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

But it isn't just LGBT any more - it has become a fun family day out.

--------------------

Nick Tamen

Ship's Wayfaring Fool
# 15164

- Posted      Profile for Nick Tamen     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
But it isn't just LGBT any more - it has become a fun family day out.

Perhaps where you live. I would not describe it that way here at all.

--------------------
The first thing God says to Moses is, "Take off your shoes." We are on holy ground. Hard to believe, but the truest thing I know. — Anne Lamott

Posts: 2833 | From: On heaven-crammed earth | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Christians Together At Pride (the various LGBT Christian groups together - LGCM, Accepting Evangelicals, Two:23, Diverse Church etc) usually have their service after the march, for London Pride at least. I think the London one is at Bloomsbury Baptist this year.

Pride is really not just a fun family day out and referring to it as such really trivializes it, particularly with Pulse being just over a year ago and the situation in Chechnya still ongoing. Pride is a protest, at its heart.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Posts: 5319 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

- Posted      Profile for Pomona   Email Pomona   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Pide march to me, begs the question. What you don't go on to say Leo, is that it is to do with gays and lesbians. I have just googled this and I am a bit wiser now. I can also discern from the build-up of posts on this thread.

Up until now, this subject has been a closed book to me. Where have I been all these years??!!

LGBT, not just L and G. Surely you've heard of the Stonewall Riots? London Pride (not the beer), Brighton Pride, etc? Pride parades are fairly well-known phenomenons and happen in most cities and even many smaller towns in the UK.

--------------------
Consider the work of God: Who is able to straighten what he has bent? [Ecclesiastes 7:13]

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

quote:
Originally posted by Pomona:
quote:
quote:
quote:

LGBT, not just L and G. Surely you've heard of the Stonewall Riots? London Pride (not the beer), Brighton Pride, etc? Pride parades are fairly well-known phenomenons and happen in most cities and even many smaller towns in the UK.
I am obviously blinkered in what I take an interest in and this subject has been one of my "exclusions". Now that this has been drawn to my attention, I am watching this thread and googling, such as to look up what the initials LGBT stand for and I know that now.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Ship can indeed be educational!

FWIW, I live in a large-ish conurbation (250,000 peeps or thereabouts), and I've not heard of any Pride Services taking place in this area, though, TBH, I've not looked out for them. There are a number of local churches which advertise themselves as inclusive (referring, presumably, to LGBT+ as well as everyone else), and there are, too, a fair number best described as...er.... conservative .

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Our Dean and chapter wrote As a pledge of our commitment to the love of God, a perfect love that casts out fear, and to a community that still suffers the consequences of prejudice, we welcome Bristol Pride to the city centre.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

Hosting benevolently

Well done, all y'all ...

/Hosting benevolently

--------------------

Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

Having shown my ignorance about Pride, I am now beginning to think I am going to hear about this constantly (on facebook).

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

And well done to Bristol Cathedral, too.

Without necessarily MWing the service (though that would be a Good Thing), it would be interesting to know what form it takes, and how many peeps attend.

IJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I intend to go and do a MW report.

It really would be good if we had a batch of them from different places.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I knew they were coming, I would hold the presses and make a Special out of them.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Mark Wuntoo
Shipmate
# 5673

- Posted      Profile for Mark Wuntoo   Email Mark Wuntoo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago I MW’d a Metropolitan Community Church service on the day following the London Pride march. Members of the church had participated in the march and this was mentioned in the service, with specific details and, if I remember correctly, with some pleasure.

--------------------
Blessed are the cracked for they let in the light.

Posts: 1950 | From: Somewhere else. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pomona
Shipmate
# 17175

Correction - the London Pride service is at St James Piccadilly with Canon Dr Rachel Mann preaching.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Here's one.

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Thanks, leo, for an interesting Report. It sounds as though it was a thoughtful service, well put together, but I was rather surprised at the small attendance. Does this perhaps reflect the mistrust the LGBT+ community still has for the C of E as a whole, I wonder?

IJ

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Thanks, leo, for an interesting Report. It sounds as though it was a thoughtful service, well put together, but I was rather surprised at the small attendance. Does this perhaps reflect the mistrust the LGBT+ community still has for the C of E as a whole, I wonder?

IJ

No - it was only advertised 10 days befoehand and it wasn't included in the Pride events brochure.

It would appear tht the bells [URL= https://bb.ringingworld.co.uk/view.php?id=1179488]WERE for Pride.[/URL]

--------------------

Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

Well, never mind - there's always next year!

Nice one, bellringers, though.

IJ

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Bishops Finger:
Well, never mind - there's always next year!

Why is "Send In the Clowns" all of a sudden worming in my ear?

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016