homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Special interest discussion   » Ecclesiantics   » The Sealing and opening of the Alleluia

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The Sealing and opening of the Alleluia
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are of the Western tradition, does your church mark in some way the sealing of the alleluia at the start of Lent?

I know that in some places a banner with the word is actually rolled up and placed in a capsule, and literally buried, to be dug up again at Pascha.

In my church we don't do that, but on Vespers of Ash Wednesday, there is a minor variation. The Ecclesiastical Psalm is replaced with verses from the very apt psalm 136 (no, not the Boney M version). Then there is a short dialogue chanted at the close of Vespers. I've reproduced it below.

quote:
Tuesday before Ash Wednesday

(Vespers - Alleluia is sealed)

Vespers according to the ordinary in Lent, except the following:

Ecclesiastical Psalm – Psalm 136

Ant. Alleluia!
By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down and wept,
when we remembered Zion.

On the willows in the midst of it
we hung up our instruments.

For there those who captured us asked us for songs
and those who led us away called for a tune:
“Sing us some of the songs of Zion.”

How shall we sing the Lord’s song in a foreign land?
If I forget you, O Jerusalem, may my right hand be forgotten.

May my tongue stick to my throat if I do not remember you,
if I do not set Jerusalem foremost, as in the beginning of my happiness.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
As it was in the beginning, so now and always, and to the ages of ages. Amen.

All the rest according to the usual vespers during Lent until the close.

Celebrant: The Lord be always with you.
All: And with your spirit.
Deacon (or chanter): Alleluia! Close and seal up this word!
Alleluia! May it rest in the secret place of your heart until the appointed time,
and when the day is come, you will say with great joy:
All: Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!
Celebrant: Let us bless the Lord.
All: Thanks be to God.

I must admit this psalm really touches me here. The words seem to take on a new significance in reference to our sojourn through Lent, a reminder that we are in a strange land, and merely a pilgrim people on this earth.

At Pascha, we sing the traditional plainsong threefold Alleluia three times over, transposing it up slightly each time, and so the shout of resurrection joy is reintroduced.

What is the custom in your church?

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:

I know that in some places a banner with the word is actually rolled up and placed in a capsule, and literally buried, to be dug up again at Pascha.

We have recently begun "burying" a physical banner. Some of the Sunday School kids fold up an alleluia banner, and place it in a small wooden chest, which lives at the foot of a cross in the narthex for the duration of Lent.

They process the box in to church and re-hang the banner on Easter morning.

(We're TEC, if you're keeping track.)

[ 17. February 2018, 19:48: Message edited by: Leorning Cniht ]

Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not something I've heard of being done in the C of E, but nothing would surprise me!

IJ

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the idea of using that Ps [Smile]

We (CofE) have the small local recent custom of taking an ornate alleluya poster and pinning it in a sealed envelope to the choir vestry notice board. Also we usually choose 'Alleluia! Sing to Jesus' for the Sunday next before Lent.

The envelope is re-opened on Easter morning.

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Scrumpmeister
Ship’s Taverner
# 5638

- Posted      Profile for The Scrumpmeister   Author's homepage   Email The Scrumpmeister   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

It's lovely, isn't it?

quote:
...we usually choose 'Alleluia! Sing to Jesus' for the Sunday next before Lent.
In my Anglican childhood, in St Kitts, we used to sing this hymn before Lent.

--------------------
If Christ is not fully human, humankind is not fully saved. - St John of Saint-Denis

Posts: 14741 | From: Greater Manchester, UK | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In my recent TEC parish the lower and middler church school kids made large colorful card-stock letters spelling Alleluia. This accomplished probably over 2 or 3 Sundays. Then on the last Sunday before Lent they would bring them into the church and 'bury' them in the font, with appropriate prayer(s) said by one of the priests.

On Easter morning, they would come into the church to 'hunt the Alleluia.' After much searching, the letters would be found either on the altar or under the carpet in front of it (can't quite remember).

My only involvement with this was that it interrupted choir rehearsal!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We don't do anything, but I really the liturgy The Scrumpmeister sets out. It's very moving. Come Easter morn and we then burst forth.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carolynn
Apprentice
# 16745

- Posted      Profile for Carolynn   Author's homepage   Email Carolynn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi...I am a Phd student... I am really interested in the deposition of alleluias.... cant find any academic references to it only annectodal stuff on the net so far... any links anyone greatfully received... thank you

--------------------
Carolynn
www.spiritualchild.co.uk

Posts: 9 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Oct 2011  |  IP: Logged
Og, King of Bashan

Ship's giant Amorite
# 9562

- Posted      Profile for Og, King of Bashan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Scrumpmeister:
quote:
Originally posted by Qoheleth.:

It's lovely, isn't it?

quote:
...we usually choose 'Alleluia! Sing to Jesus' for the Sunday next before Lent.
In my Anglican childhood, in St Kitts, we used to sing this hymn before Lent.

We sang both of those this year on the last Sunday after Epiphany. We always use our choirmaster's arrangement of "Alleluia, Song of Gladness," which is based on plainchant, but written out metrically. We know it well enough at this point that it usually gets handed out that morning, leaving extra time at the rehearsal the Wednesday prior to cover Ash Wednesday and Lent 1.

--------------------
"I like to eat crawfish and drink beer. That's despair?" ― Walker Percy

Posts: 3259 | From: Denver, Colorado, USA | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016