homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tried and True Hymns for Special Days (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tried and True Hymns for Special Days
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AristonAstuanax:

In America, you're pretty much required to do "We Gather Together" and "Harvest Home" on the Sunday before Thanksgiving.

The problem is that for us that Sunday is either Advent I or the Sunday Next Before Advent. If the latter, I can see squeezing in a Thanksgiving hymn somewhere (Offertory, or Recessional maybe). In general, though, I'm fairly adamant about not transferring feasts. If the folks want Thanksgiving hymns, then let 'em come to Mass on Thanksgiving.

--------------------
"The Eucharist is not a play, and you're not Jesus."

--Sr Theresa Koernke, IHM

Posts: 2512 | From: Oakland, CA | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The other one that I thought of: did/does anyone do a setting of one of John Donne's religious poems on his feast day, 31 March? For that matter, are there any good settings of Donne for use in services?

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

- Posted      Profile for Fr Weber   Email Fr Weber   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The other one that I thought of: did/does anyone do a setting of one of John Donne's religious poems on his feast day, 31 March? For that matter, are there any good settings of Donne for use in services?

Britten set a few of the Holy Sonnets, but they seem a bit too art-songy for use in a liturgy. They are wonderful, though--especially the passacaglia he composed for "Death be not proud".

--------------------

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Martin L:
St. Thomas Hollywood (a fairly well-known Nosebleed AC place) posted this video clip from the 2011 Easter Day liturgy.

As an Eccles regular, I am not ashamed to say that this particular choice of opening hymn for Easter Day would keep me from joining that church if I lived in the area.

I can think of much better reasons for not joining our parish.

Seriously though, I don't find the hymn inappropriate for Resurrection Sunday. I assume that the destination of our own resurrection is part of the celebration.

On a more practical level, we use that hymn quite regularly when we have a solemn procession, as opposed to an entrance procession. Its many verses (including one written by Fr. Davies)pretty well covers the full procession. The congregation is quite familiar with the hymn, and it is sung at a rafter- shaking level, perhaps not apparent in the video.

Note that we did sing JCIRT although it has not been sung during some past Easters. However, we ALWAYS use the JCIRT as the hymn tune for the Regina Caeli. [Biased]

I suspect that we shall sing "Thine be the Glory" this Sunday.

[ 12. April 2012, 23:16: Message edited by: CorgiGreta ]

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

- Posted      Profile for CorgiGreta         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The 2011 video is that of our 8:00am, not the 10:30am, High Mass. The former draws fewer than 100 people (whose vocal chords are not yet fully energized) so, of course, the singing is relatively subdued.

There is a video of the 2012 10:30 Easter High Mass although it shows some uncharacteristic music due to our current organ restoration project.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

The following may contain images of inappropriate hymn singing. Viewer discretion is advised.

Here's a video of the 2012 Easter High Mass.

Quam Dilecta
Shipmate
# 12541

- Posted      Profile for Quam Dilecta   Email Quam Dilecta       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heaven knows why the compilers of TEC's hymnals have snubbed "Thine Be the Glory" not once, but twice (1941 and 1982). I first encountered it as a teenager at an ecumenical youth assembly in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and I have loved it ever since.

--------------------
Blessd are they that dwell in thy house

Posts: 406 | From: Boston, Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CorgiGreta:
quote:
St. Thomas Hollywood (a fairly well-known Nosebleed AC place) posted this video clip from the 2011 Easter Day liturgy.

As an Eccles regular, I am not ashamed to say that this particular choice of opening hymn for Easter Day would keep me from joining that church if I lived in the area.

I can think of much better reasons for not joining our parish.

Seriously though, I don't find the hymn inappropriate for Resurrection Sunday. I assume that the destination of our own resurrection is part of the celebration.

On a more practical level, we use that hymn quite regularly when we have a solemn procession, as opposed to an entrance procession. Its many verses (including one written by Fr. Davies)pretty well covers the full procession. The congregation is quite familiar with the hymn, and it is sung at a rafter- shaking level, perhaps not apparent in the video.

Note that we did sing JCIRT although it has not been sung during some past Easters. However, we ALWAYS use the JCIRT as the hymn tune for the Regina Caeli. [Biased]

I suspect that we shall sing "Thine be the Glory" this Sunday.

I had long suspected that there must be a deeper reason for this particular hymn's use on Easter. I don't disagree with its suitability, but I certainly believe that there are far better choices.

My difficulty with membership would be that something like this is very often symptomatic of deeper control/management issues, which seemed to be a driving force behind the OP. I, for instance, have lived through being at the mercy of one person having total control over the liturgy and music at a church, and it was a catastrophe. Realistically, I doubt there would be too many sad people even in your parish if they were to drop Jerusalem TG and substitute it with Thine Be or JCIRT.

We have reached a point where JCIRT is pretty much expected in most churches. The places that don't use it tend to have a person in charge who just likes to be difficult. Maybe that's not your church, but I would certainly assume so until proven otherwise.

Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
quote:

I've never seen a procession done in that manner and find it odd as well (not to start a tangent).
Sorry for continuing the tangent, but in my experience, such a procession is quite common in Anglo-Catholic parishes. Do we need a separate thread?
CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Martin, my dear,

If you knew my parish, I think you would find that we are a dictator's nightmare, a bunch impossible to control on any level, let alone musical. We are opinionated and vocal, and music is very high on the list of our concerns. If we wanted something other than JtG, it would be gone.

CorgiGreta
Shipmate
# 443

Hoping to offer a measure of comfort for those who are disturbed by our hymn selections, I hasten to point out that we do NOT sing JtG on Christmas Eve.
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Venbede:
We sang as an introit "Hail the day that sees him rise" to the tune Llanfair from the Ascension section. Also a bit odd, but OK.

The (Wesley?) Ascension hymn "Hail the day that sees him rise" is certainly sung to LLANFAIR in the US.
O there's nothing odd about singing Wesley's Hail the Day to Llanfair (the alternative of Chiselhurst is rare). What was odd was having as the first congregational hymn on Easter Day.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was involved with the Good Friday Cross Walks in Bath, we unfailingly sang "There is a green hill far away" on the last outdoor stop before the walks met up, and "When I survey" as the first hymn altogether in the Abbey Churchyard.

I always think of being with the gathered mass of Christians singing it there each year, and it's an essential for me.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been pondering why I am resistant to Thine Be the Glory, when I'm a great fan of Handel.

It may be because I am subconsciously remembering the highly bombastic original words to the tune:

Hail the conquering hero comes
Sound the trumpet, beat the drums.

Handel re-used the chorus in his oratorio Judas Maccabeus when it was played to celebrate Butcher Cumberland's defeat of the Jacobites at the Battle of Culloden.

--------------------

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ultracrepidarian
Shipmate
# 9679

- Posted      Profile for Ultracrepidarian   Email Ultracrepidarian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thine be the blory is something that I've encountered in the UK every Easter, but it wasn't part of the repetoire for Easter services at the Pressie church I attended in Australia.

On the other hand, I agree that Jesus Christ is Risen Today to the tune of Easter Hymn should be made compulsory for all Easter Sunday services. [Smile]

One hymn that was very special to me at my church in Australia was O come and mourn with me a while for Good Friday to the excellent tune St Cross by J. B. Dykes. I missed out this year, but I'm trying to introduce it (or at least the version of it that appears in the NEH) at my current church in Oxford.

Posts: 1897 | From: Cattle crossing | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since we're talking about preferred hymns for special days, here's my list:

Advent 1: "Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descending" by Wesley, sung to Helmsley -- Processional

First Sunday of Christmas: "Joy to the World" by Watts, sung to Antioch -- Processional

Transfiguration: "Christ, Whose Glory Fills the Skies" by Wesley, sung to Ratisbon

Ash Wednesday: "Lord, Who Throughout These Forty Days" by Claudia Hernaman, sung to Land of Rest

One Sunday in Lent: "And Can It Be that I Should Gain" by Wesley, sung to Sagina

Good Friday: "O Love Divine, What Hast Thou Done" by Wesley, sung to Selena -- last hymn sung, before the scattering

Easter: "Christ the Lord is Risen Today" by Wesley, sung to Easter Hymn (And yes, it is very celebratory!) -- Processional

All Saints: "For All the Saints" by William How, sung to Sine Nomine -- Processional

There are other favorites, of course, but that's what I would pick if I were king of the world.

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
SmokeyMary
Apprentice
# 10933

- Posted      Profile for SmokeyMary   Email SmokeyMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can live without Jesus Christ is Risen Today (though we always use it at the end of Mass, I'm not going to fight that battle) however, it's not Easter for me without Hail Thee, Festival Day for the Solemn Procession.
Posts: 9 | From: Kansas City, MO USA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
Advent 1: "Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descending"

Also "Hail to the Lord's anointed" and nowadays "O come O come Emmanuel". All three compulsory. Not Advent without them.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
PD
Shipmate
# 12436

- Posted      Profile for PD   Author's homepage   Email PD   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Is "Thine be the Glory" even in Hymnal 1982? I don't know that I have ever sung it.

As to "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" not being celebratory, you apparently have never heard our descanters do their thing. But this might start verging on the old contemporary vs traditional hymn dead horse, so I will just say "personal taste" and be done with it.

I think it became popular about 1985, so it may have made in into the 1982, then again it may not. I cannot check as my parish's solitary copy of the '82 Hymnal is in the church office, and I am at home right now.

The one I cannot do without is

"Alleluia, alleluia! Hearts and voices heav'nward raise"

"The Strife is o'er" comes a close second at our shack.

"Hail thee festival day" is now becoming quite popular here, but I only recently persuaded them to give it a go.

PD

--------------------
Roadkill on the Information Super Highway!

My Assorted Rantings - http://www.theoldhighchurchman.blogspot.com

Posts: 4431 | From: Between a Rock and a Hard Place | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

What I would like at Easter, and am not likely to get, is the sequence "Christians to the paschal victim".

(Old) English Hymnal gives an "original tune" for Easter Hymn which I have hummed at times when others are singing the familiar version.

--------------------

Fr Weber
Shipmate
# 13472

quote:
Originally posted by venbede:
What I would like at Easter, and am not likely to get, is the sequence "Christians to the paschal victim".

(Old) English Hymnal gives an "original tune" for Easter Hymn which I have hummed at times when others are singing the familiar version.

If you're ever in Northern California over Easter, venbede, come to our place and you'll get not only the Easter Sequence but the Gradual and Alleluia that precede it. [Smile]

--------------------

Olaf
Shipmate
# 11804

- Posted      Profile for Olaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by Og, King of Bashan:
Is "Thine be the Glory" even in Hymnal 1982?

I think it became popular about 1985, so it may have made in into the 1982, then again it may not.
Thine be the Glory is not in The Hymnal 1982.

The people who put together H82 certainly must have known about it. Thine is the Glory made it into the Lutheran Book of Worship, which came out in the late 70s, and the liturgical cross-pollination between BCP79 and LBW is blatantly obvious. There is no way that the H82 people did not take a look at LBW.

quote:
Venbede:
O there's nothing odd about singing Wesley's Hail the Day to Llanfair (the alternative of Chiselhurst is rare). What was odd was having as the first congregational hymn on Easter Day.

Yes, that certainly qualifies as an oddity, particularly when there are so many Easter hymns that can be set to LLANFAIR if desired.
Posts: 8953 | From: Ad Midwestem | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
seasick

...over the edge
# 48

- Posted      Profile for seasick   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think many people just don't read on and so don't realise that the rising referred to in the first line isn't the resurrection but the ascension.

--------------------
We believe there is, and always was, in every Christian Church, ... an outward priesthood, ordained by Jesus Christ, and an outward sacrifice offered therein. - John Wesley

Posts: 5769 | From: A world of my own | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The Hymnal 1982 (TEC) contains a setting of Donne's 'Wilt Thou Forgive That Sin', one of his more famous holy sonnets, the one with the punning final line. The melody (though not the harmony IIRC) is by John Hilton (16th cent?) which fits the text quite well. We use it most years at least once in Lent, frequently during comunion on Ash Wednesday.

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016