homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Tories are evil! (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Tories are evil!
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have noticed something quite intriguing recently. Many on the political right would view those with left-wing views as wrong-headed, wooly, or just plain wrong and to be argued against at any opportunity. However, some of those on the left view right-wingers as evil and contemptible - witness the easy use of the phrase 'Tory Scum'.

Who is the more tolerant?

--------------------
You might want to visit my blog:
http://lostintheheartofsomewhere.blogspot.com

But maybe not

Posts: 676 | From: Shropshire | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well that's an easy question to answer. It's clearly the right-wingers [Big Grin]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moominpappa
Apprentice
# 12044

- Posted      Profile for Moominpappa   Email Moominpappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely a few minutes perusing the Daily Mail would answer that question! Both sides can be intolerant, and, working in an organisation where labour supporters are rare as hen's teeth, I've heard many comments about left-wingers that suggest they are 'contemptible' and 'left-wing scum' (especially when there's any form of popular, public left-wing protest in the news).

--------------------
Abbot Anthony then asked Abbot Joseph 'How would you explain this saying from the scriptures?' and he replied 'I do not know.' Then Abbot Anthony said 'Indeed, Abbot Joseph has found the way, for he has said "I do not know."'

Posts: 16 | From: Hampshire, England. | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am tolerant. The rest are just bastards.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not symmetrical in that the right wingers in any debate or society are always the ones with power. That is, being conservative or reactionary is by definition to want things to stay as they are.

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

- Posted      Profile for ianjmatt   Author's homepage   Email ianjmatt   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by hatless:
It's not symmetrical in that the right wingers in any debate or society are always the ones with power. That is, being conservative or reactionary is by definition to want things to stay as they are.

That's not true. There were left-wing governments in power in most of Europe throughout the late '90's and 2000's.

Or perhaps they were not left-wing enough? Not quite the people's front of judea?

--------------------

But maybe not

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But within them there were reformers and hard liners, radicals and right-wingers - whatever you want to call them. Gorbachov was a left-winger compared to Brezhnev.

--------------------

Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the misfortune to be told by two men in my congregation that I, their minister, could not be a Christian because I had voted Tory.

How is that a reasoned opinion?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ianjmatt:
I have noticed something quite intriguing recently. Many on the political right would view those with left-wing views as wrong-headed, wooly, or just plain wrong and to be argued against at any opportunity. However, some of those on the left view right-wingers as evil and contemptible - witness the easy use of the phrase 'Tory Scum'.

I'd mostly identify with the left, and I think this is a fair critique of UK political discourse. (At least in general terms - I can think of a few counter-examples.)

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Whether that's true or not (I'm a right-winger, and I don't have any power), it's immaterial to the issue of which side is the more tolerant when it comes to discussing the other.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mudfrog:
I had the misfortune to be told by two men in my congregation that I, their minister, could not be a Christian because I had voted Tory.

How is that a reasoned opinion?

Seems reasonable enough to me. Did they try to exorcise you? I probably would have done.... [Devil]

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ianjmatt:

Who is the more tolerant?

If you've gotta ask, you won't understand the answer [Razz]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

You see that, Ian? They're not even trying to defend themselves against the charge of intolerant bigotry...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
You see that, Ian? They're not even trying to defend themselves against the charge of intolerant bigotry...

Indeed. Never has a case been more self-evident [Biased]

--------------------

But maybe not

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
quote:

Whether that's true or not (I'm a right-winger, and I don't have any power), it's immaterial to the issue of which side is the more tolerant when it comes to discussing the other.
You may not have any personal power yourself (practically everyone does, though, and in this society, if you are male, white, can speak and write English and have a job, you have a fair amount of power), but the right wing position in any society is that on the side of the status quo.

It's relevant to the OP because those who are seeking to change the status quo will always struggle to be heard and understood, and will tend to sound strident and aggressive, and often a bit immature and whining.

Those who represent the status quo can usually manage to sound sympathetic but regretful. 'We'd really like it if the very rich paid more tax, of course we would, but sadly they'll just all leave the country if we don't cut their rates.'

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Er...no. Ever heard of the term 'liberal elite'?

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
You may not have any personal power yourself (practically everyone does, though, and in this society, if you are male, white, can speak and write English and have a job, you have a fair amount of power),

I'm intrigued. As a male, white, english-speaking employed person what is this power that I have?

Note that power isn't the same as privilege or wealth.

quote:
It's relevant to the OP because those who are seeking to change the status quo will always struggle to be heard and understood, and will tend to sound strident and aggressive, and often a bit immature and whining.
There's sounding a bit strident, and then there's calling everyone who disagrees with you an evil bastard who should be shot at dawn. This isn't about policies or the rationalisations for them, this is about characterising the opposition as Satan Incarnate.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

quote:
You may not have any personal power yourself (practically everyone does, though, and in this society, if you are male, white, can speak and write English and have a job, you have a fair amount of power), but the right wing position in any society is that on the side of the status quo.

Those who represent the status quo can usually manage to sound sympathetic but regretful. 'We'd really like it if the very rich paid more tax, of course we would, but sadly they'll just all leave the country if we don't cut their rates.'

This is nonsense. For a start, it is circular in logic - you seem to equate being in power with being conservative. Secondly - the history of 1945 - 2010 in the UK shows that left-wing governments have had their fair crack the whip and the same is true in the rest of Europe.

--------------------

But maybe not

Niminypiminy
Shipmate
# 15489

- Posted      Profile for Niminypiminy   Email Niminypiminy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to get back to the OP, I'm astonished -- given the level of invective on well known right-wing politics blogs -- that anybody should think that name-calling is the province of the left.

--------------------
Lives of the Saints: songs by The Unequal Struggle
http://www.theunequalstruggle.com/

Posts: 776 | From: Edge of the Fens | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged
hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
quote:

I've heard of the term. Who do you think they are? The cabinet? The Royal Family? The CEOs of the FTSE 100? The House of Lords? Newspaper owners? The 1000 richest individuals in the country?

--------------------

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

quote:
quote:
You may not have any personal power yourself (practically everyone does, though, and in this society, if you are male, white, can speak and write English and have a job, you have a fair amount of power),

I'm intrigued. As a male, white, english-speaking employed person what is this power that I have?

Note that power isn't the same as privilege or wealth.

Privilege and wealth are forms of power. You can do things if you have money. You can do things if you have respect and influence. That's power.

Imagine you wanted to raise money for a small business, or get support to start a charity, or rally your neighbourhood to oppose a development. You would have a head start over many people, I expect. That's power.

--------------------

Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This isn't about policies or the rationalisations for them, this is about characterising the opposition as Satan Incarnate.

This is a problem for left wingers. During Mrs Thatcher's premiership (a.k.a. the Reign of Terror) it was so transparently obvious that we were being governed by Satan Incarnate that we just fell back on saying so, and in time forgot why the lying, thieving, steal-bread-from-the-mouths-of-children, trickle-down-economics-my-arse bastards were pursuing some very dodgy policies.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
ianjmatt
Shipmate
# 5683

quote:
Originally posted by Niminypiminy:
Just to get back to the OP, I'm astonished -- given the level of invective on well known right-wing politics blogs -- that anybody should think that name-calling is the province of the left.

I think you'll fine those same blogs (e.g. Guido Fawkes) are as nasty to everyone - not a right/left thing.

I remember walking to the 2010 Tory conference in Manchester and there was a Unison demo (I think) in the plaza area outside the GMEX (or whatever they call it now). As we walked in - ordinary people - we are called, by the demonstrators who were public sector workers, "Tory scum" "Tory bastards" told to "rot in hell" "we hope you die" the IRA had it right" and similar such charming things.

Nice.

--------------------

But maybe not

Full of Chips
Shipmate
# 13669

- Posted      Profile for Full of Chips   Email Full of Chips   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of UK ruling parties it is hard to argue that the terms "left" and "right" have any real meaning anymore.

"Evil" is a different matter however: Iraq, Afghanistan, cash for questions, dinner for donors, MPs expenses, the press scandal, the police scandal, the banking scandal, ...

Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

For a start, you can afford to buy a computer and pay the leccy bills and post stuff about your right-wing views.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
otyetsfoma
Shipmate
# 12898

- Posted      Profile for otyetsfoma   Email otyetsfoma   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think I would ever have thought of calling tories "evil" before the unlamented lady PM, I disliked Fred Teeth for taking us into the Common Market, but I had occasionally voted tory before and at that time might have expected to do it again. The unpleasant Thatcher changed all that : I can no longer think of them as anything but evil.
They call themselves "conservative", but the only thing they seem to want to conserve is priviledge for the rich. Their policies reek of 19th century laisser faire liberalism.

Posts: 842 | From: Edgware UK | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

I've heard of the term. Who do you think they are? The cabinet? The Royal Family? The CEOs of the FTSE 100? The House of Lords? Newspaper owners? The 1000 richest individuals in the country?
Blair and Co for starters, who were in power for 10 years and...er...not conservative.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Privilege and wealth are forms of power. You can do things if you have money. You can do things if you have respect and influence. That's power.

I don't have much money though. Enough to keep a roof over my head and enjoy a couple of the finer things in life (which is what I was thinking of), but far short of enough to gain respect and influence where they matter.

quote:
Imagine you wanted to raise money for a small business, or get support to start a charity, or rally your neighbourhood to oppose a development. You would have a head start over many people, I expect. That's power.
I doubt I would, to be honest. Certainly not just because of my colour, sex and employment status.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

For a start, you can afford to buy a computer and pay the leccy bills and post stuff about your right-wing views.
That's not power. Power is being able to get people to do what you want, not being able to log on to the internet.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having grown up as a token leftie in a very right-wing area, I can assure you that those with right-wing views are equally strident and offensive about the left.

The OP, is of course fundamentally flawed:
  • it sets up incomplete scenarios, ignoring those on the left who are not abusive to those on the right, and those on the right who are abusive to those on the left
  • it fails to acknowledge that sanctimonious and patronising dismissal of alternative opinions by essentially considering the proponents to be retarded and incapable of coherent thought doesn't count as 'tolerance'; it's not really tolerating when you dismiss something as beneath contempt or not worth engaging with, it's just a long-winded and smug way of calling someone "scum" without actually saying it
  • in short, like all political posturing, it cherry-picks to make a point that is no point at all, and simply stirs up a ruck to avoid talking about any actual real issue [Biased]

The real answer of course is that both left and right contain intolerant arseholes as well as people of great forebearance (who may nonetheless still be arseholes, of course).

As most public politics appears to be about childish name-calling and petty point scoring this thread should do quite well, however [Snigger]

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a card carrying Tory and I wouldn't consider it a compliment to be branded "evil" or "scum." There are, I think, extremists in every party - left, right and centre. However their views are necessarily those of a minority.

Why am I a Tory? Not because I'm particularly driven by dogma or ideology but because I believe in opportunity, fairness, choice, personal responsibility and light government.

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Blair and Co for starters, who were in power for 10 years and...er...not conservative.

Some of us would take issue with that.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Just as some would take issue that Cameron is a true conservative.

[ETA - Tony and his cronies did away with vast swathes of the UK constitution, taxed the middle classes until the pips squeaked and spent taxpayers' money like the credit crunch was never gonna happen. None of which is traditionally conservative behaviour.]

[ 29. March 2012, 13:15: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:

Some of us would take issue with that.
Agreed - Blair was a Young Conservative as a student...

Basically, whereas the political barometer was once centered quite effectively, with One Nation Tories on one side (centre-right), and a centre-left Labour Party, we now suffer under a political system where the centreline has moved quite a way to the right, with it almost looking like...

-----(Centre)---Labour--BBC--Liberal---------Tory.

As opposed to

Militant-----Labour--BBC-Liberal-(centre)----Tory.

Sadly with the Beeb almost being live Pravda or RT rather than calling the govt to account...

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Disagree with that analysis - 'liberal' for me = centre-left, which is where Blair etc were

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

I've been thinking "what is 'evil' in this context?" for a while. I think otyetsfoma provides that standard leftist view of what 'evil' means here:

quote:
Originally posted by otyetsfoma:
the only thing they seem to want to conserve is priviledge for the rich.

So is evil to be defined as enacting policies that benefit the party's own social group (the rich, in this case) at the expense of the others (the poor, in this case)? And if so, why is the traditional leftist desire to enact policies that benefit their own social group (the poor) at the expense of the others (the rich) any different?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

That's not power. Power is being able to get people to do what you want, not being able to log on to the internet.
That shows how out of touch you are with 'the underclass' - without computer access, you get higher bills, cannot sign petitions, know what is going on in the world apart from the capitalist media.

Influence is part of power - it is one way of getting people to do things.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Psalm 146: 7-9 seems to say because advantaging the poor is God's agenda.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back to the issue (for once) I can confidently state that, based on what I have seen of people with different political views, the correlation between evil and political viewpoint is pretty much the same, across the spectrum. Despite what Marvin states however, members of the Conservative Party generally have more power, usually through wealth rather than income, and are better able to make other peoples' lives a misery, and are often able to make themselves better off into the bargain.

It is that which drives the left into (sometimes) apopleptic rage, as they recognise the relative impotence of their own position. What baffles many of us on the left (OK, me for a start) is that anyone who is not well-heeled is ever taken in by the trickle-down theories of wealth distribution! FFS, in any commercial enterprise (and the fee-earning parts of the public service too) the value of your work is higher than the amount you are paid! If this were a reasonable margin and transparent then fair enough but it is often neither of those things.

So there we are; the Tories are not evil per se, just skilled at a form of it which is the basis of our economic system.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

I dunno; similar feelings of impotence and apoplectic rage were felt by many a SME-owner I know at being (as they perceived it) taxed to the hilt and strangled by red tape by Blair, Brown and Co.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Despite what Marvin states however, members of the Conservative Party generally have more power, usually through wealth rather than income, and are better able to make other peoples' lives a misery, and are often able to make themselves better off into the bargain.

I think you've got that backwards. They're seeking to make themselves better off, yes - but then, aren't we all? And if that means someone else has to be worse off, then that's just a (unfortunate?) side effect - but then, isn't that true of us all as well?

I seriously doubt that any of them deliberately seek out Bond Villain-like to make other people's lives a misery, with making themselves better off as a nice side-effect.

quote:
FFS, in any commercial enterprise (and the fee-earning parts of the public service too) the value of your work is higher than the amount you are paid!
Of course it is. If it wasn't then they wouldn't want to pay me to do it, and my job wouldn't exist.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
I dunno; similar feelings of impotence and apoplectic rage were felt by many a SME-owner I know at being (as they perceived it) taxed to the hilt and strangled by red tape by Blair, Brown and Co.

I'm not accusing you Matt, but many SME-owners could feel right at home in UKIP, feeling that Labour is stillpro-union, Tories are pro-big business and that the Lib Dems are still a bunch of hairy sandal-wearers (which as we now know, is untrue, as they all wear suits and are as venal as anybody else at Westminster).

On Marvin's remark about the 'side-efect' of making oneself better off; it's a lot easier for those nearer the top of the pile to do that and make other's lives a misery. Just to be sure could I try for a year just to see how much of a bastard it would make me!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
On Marvin's remark about the 'side-efect' of making oneself better off; it's a lot easier for those nearer the top of the pile to do that and make other's lives a misery.

That is true regardless of the political leanings of those at the top of the pile. All that changes is who suffers, and you can't really blame anyone for trying to ensure that it's not them. You certainly can't call them evil for doing so.

quote:
Just to be sure could I try for a year just to see how much of a bastard it would make me!
Aw, Hell yeah. I'd love to have the chance to get my hands on some real wealth and power. Trouble is, I'd be having so much fun living it up like a fucking king I'd probably forget all about that "deliberately making everyone else's life a living hell" thing. And I call myself a Tory [Disappointed]

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Russ
Old salt
# 120

- Posted      Profile for Russ   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the OP as being more about the asymmetry - the suggestion being that the Right see the Left as stupid - deficient in intellect - whereas the Left see the Right as heartless - deficient in compassion.

We're all human, and self-interest distorts our perception of what is reasonable and sensible and appropriate.

Seems to me that it is not a good thing when one ceases to see those one disagrees with politically as well-meaning fellow human beings whose different temperament and life-experiences have led them to a different sense of what is just, and start seeing them as willing minions of the Evil One.

Given that the gap between "heartless" and "evil" is narrower than that between "stupid" and "evil", the Left is going to be in more danger of confusing left-right with good-evil than the Right is.

But that says nothing about the degree to which the virtue of tolerance (or lack of it) is exercised by any individual on either side.

Best wishes,

Russ

--------------------
Wish everyone well; the enemy is not people, the enemy is wrong ideas

Posts: 3169 | From: rural Ireland | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Britain the Left has traditionally thought of the Tories as the Stupid Party.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mudfrog
Shipmate
# 8116

- Posted      Profile for Mudfrog   Email Mudfrog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
In Britain the Left has traditionally thought of the Tories as the Stupid Party.

Really?

--------------------
"The point of having an open mind, like having an open mouth, is to close it on something solid."
G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 8237 | From: North Yorkshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Well, Francs Maude's advice on stockng up petrol was more than stupid. It was dangerous.

--------------------

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, Francs Maude's advice on stockng up petrol was more than stupid. It was dangerous.

Pfft. What's dangerous is decanting petrol in your kitchen, while the oven's on. I think the link between the poor lady's accident and Francis Maude's ill-advised comment a few days ago is tenuous at best.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by South Coast Kevin:
quote:

Pfft. What's dangerous is decanting petrol in your kitchen, while the oven's on. I think the link between the poor lady's accident and Francis Maude's ill-advised comment a few days ago is tenuous at best.
There is no doubt that this poor woman is a strong candidate for nomination in the Darwin Awards.

However, it should not be overlooked that the ONLY reason for her doing such an incredibly daft thing in the first place was because of the Tories' scaremongering and especially Francis Maude's spectacularly crass "advice".

Had the Tories not generated a fuel crisis (where there was none before), the woman's daughter would have been able to get petrol for her car and the woman wouldn't have been stockpiling petrol in unsuitable conditions.

It really is a simple case of cause and effect...

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
ThunderBunk

Stone cold idiot
# 15579

- Posted      Profile for ThunderBunk   Email ThunderBunk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How has this thread got so far without mentioning the Magnificat? Can one of the Tory supporters tell me a single thing the current government or the mastermind who fundamentally distorted British politics, possibly irrecoverably, has ever done to scatter the proud, build up the lowly, or send the rich away empty? The rich get filled with ever tastier morsels, the poor get what they have ripped away from them in the name of "efficiency" and/or "reform", and just about every socially divisive cliche going gets as much support as it can possibly have.

--------------------
Currently mostly furious, and occasionally foolish. Normal service may resume eventually. Or it may not. And remember children, "feiern ist wichtig".

Foolish, potentially deranged witterings

Posts: 2208 | From: Norwich | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016