homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 103rd Bishop of Chichester (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 103rd Bishop of Chichester
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No.
I am suggesting that, from what I understand to be his theological position on the nature of the difference between men and women, his theological anthropology is seriously flawed.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
He's an excellent, orthodox, missional catholic.

Worked well with Lucy Winkett and the St Paul's Cathedral Chapter.

He happens not to believe that the CofE should ordain women priests and bishops. That is not, in the CofE, a bar to him being a diocesan bishop. (Even if, as I do, you think he's mistaken on this)

I look forward to working with him in the House & College of Bishops.

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin Warner's views on the ordination of women to the priesthood are well known. His justification for them is less well-known and is not orthodox. Yes, he was always perfectly affable to Canon Winkett, though she was well aware that as far as he was concerned she might as well be an extra-terrestrial as far as the Imago Dei was concerned.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
His justification for them is less well-known and is not orthodox.

Would you be so good as to expand?

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Sure, albeit briefly: The new Bishop of Chichester regards maleness and femaleness as essential properties. Such a view has major implications outside the Dead Horse Question.

--------------------

justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Martin Warner and Lucy Winkett: Working Together

It doesn't explain much in detail but gives an idea. He does at least concede that when she presides at the Eucharist Lucy Winkett is "more than nothing".

I take it he's not married.

Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Correction: he says "what is happening when Lucy stands at the altar, I can say that it is most certainly not nothing,"
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sure, albeit briefly: The new Bishop of Chichester regards maleness and femaleness as essential properties. Such a view has major implications outside the Dead Horse Question.

Male/femaleness = essential properties. Never really thought about it in such language but it seems OK to me. What does it mean?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is neo-Platonist Gnostic heresy! Is outrage!

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bishops Finger
Shipmate
# 5430

- Posted      Profile for Bishops Finger   Email Bishops Finger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
+Martyn was a server at our place in his youth, so we are right chuffed to hear of his appointment to Chichester.

He came to us last year to preside and preach at our monthly Mass of Our Lady of Walsingham, but a couple of baptism enquiries turned up that Saturday morning and I didn't get to hear him chiz chiz chiz....

He's a Good Egg, and although I don't share his views on OoW, I hope and pray he'll be a positive force in the C of E in the future.

Ian J.

--------------------
Our words are giants when they do us an injury, and dwarfs when they do us a service. (Wilkie Collins)

Posts: 10151 | From: Behind The Wheel Again! | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:

I knows what all those words mean individually but I am no more enlightened when you string them together.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Razz]

--------------------
Ken

FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is he willing to appoint a suffragan bishop to ordain women priests?
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may be confusing tautology with heresy here. To say something is the essence of itself is saying nothing at all.

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fifi
Shipmate
# 8151

- Posted      Profile for Fifi   Email Fifi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by FreeJack:

The $64,000 question, to be sure. But his predecessor took the view that a suffragan acts solely on behalf of his diocesan and therefore - where the diocesan will not ordain women - the suffragan cannot do so either (whether he wants to or not). My hunch - and it's no more than that - is that +M will take the same position . . .
Posts: 591 | From: Here | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But both suffragans were themselves opposed, so the possibility of them acting (or not) against their better judgement didn't arise. Even if such a position is a sensible or tenable one, surely there is no other diocese in the country where it applies. Some diocesans only ordain deacons, and the suffragans the priests. Whether that is a good solution is also debatable, but at least it means the diocesan can maintain an equal relationship with all his clergy no matter what his views on the DH.

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sebby
Shipmate
# 15147

- Posted      Profile for sebby   Email sebby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
quote:
Originally posted by Honest Ron Bacardi:
The number of bishops from the liberal catholic and modern church parties is disproportionately higher than numbers of such parishes and there is a parallel resentment to that, often focused on those bishops personally.

I query that. Of course for a long time there were few evangelical bishops, because the evangelical revival took a long time to filter through to the ranks of those eligible. But there seems to be a good balance now. And outside Brighton, parts of London and a few other places there are not many (compared to the noise they make) 'traditional' anglo-catholic parishes: I can't do the maths but I'd be surprised if they were more than 10% of the total. Apart from the 'flying bishops' there are several more who would represent these.
I'm not entiely sure how it works, but is it possible for a liberal 'catholic' bishop to appeal to a greater constituency, and therefre there are more of them?

I have heard it said that a higher bishop can come down the candle and do all that, but lower ones find it harder to go up. Is this true?

--------------------
sebhyatt

Posts: 1340 | From: yorks | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sebby:
I have heard it said that a higher bishop can come down the candle and do all that, but lower ones find it harder to go up. Is this true?

In my experience, simply not true.

My sending church normally doesn't robe for the main services (i.e. moderately low). I was there for 17 years - we had bishops there most years during that time and I never saw one without robes.

One of the previous ministers of that church became a bishop, and he seems willing to wear chasubles and so on when that is the tradition of the church he is visiting.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

- Posted      Profile for FreeJack   Email FreeJack   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Fifi:
quote:

The $64,000 question, to be sure. But his predecessor took the view that a suffragan acts solely on behalf of his diocesan and therefore - where the diocesan will not ordain women - the suffragan cannot do so either (whether he wants to or not). My hunch - and it's no more than that - is that +M will take the same position . . .
I never understood how that argument did not also apply to an assistant bishop acting as a commissary too.

My guess would be that +M would allow a suffragan to ordain women priests - and indeed that would be exactly what the selectors were looking for. e.g. +Martin Chichester and +Lucy Lewes?

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My guess would be that +M would allow a suffragan to ordain women priests - and indeed that would be exactly what the selectors were looking for. e.g. +Martin Chichester and +Lucy Lewes?

I'd love that just to see the look on +Wally Benn's face. [Smile] (though by the time it's likely to happen he'll probably be revolving at high speed in his grave).

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Martin Warner's views on the ordination of women to the priesthood are well known. His justification for them is less well-known and is not orthodox. Yes, he was always perfectly affable to Canon Winkett, though she was well aware that as far as he was concerned she might as well be an extra-terrestrial as far as the Imago Dei was concerned.

Isn't God a major kind of extra-terrestrial - at least before he created the terrestrial bit? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most clergy of an Evangelical leaning I know struggle with a few things that I think are important for a bishop (priest). Ontological change would be one. The difference between leading a successful church and a en-cultured Diocese would be another. Lastly they tend to struggle to escape the idea that Evangelical worship is the only/best way. There are rarely stupid so intellectually they get these things but emotionally they struggle a bit and sometimes it shows. I also would want to add that I have never know one not grow into deeper understanding and liberal catholics have their own issues (a slight obsession with single issues springs to mind) at least Evangelicals but church growth first.

As for “reasons we don’t agree with women priests” there were only two. The Scriptural one and the “traditional” one, both of which have been debated to death here and elsewhere. Anyone got a link to +M’s thoughts on the matter? I’m intrigued, not least for the novelty but also for a sneaking suspicion that it may be a classic “balancing on the wooden boundary” trick much loved by those who want a foot in each camp.

AtB Pyx_e

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:

Is fancy language for the Pork Pie or Potato (thank you John Broadhurst) theory of ordained ministry.

Though, at a guess, I think MW will allow a suffragan to ordain women: he has a strong pragmatic streak.

--------------------

The Man with a Stick
Shipmate
# 12664

- Posted      Profile for The Man with a Stick   Email The Man with a Stick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I never understood how that argument did not also apply to an assistant bishop acting as a commissary too.

The commissary was acting on behalf of +Canterbury not +Chichester - a sort of flying bishop in reverse.
Posts: 335 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
FreeJack
Shipmate
# 10612

quote:
Originally posted by The Man with a Stick:
quote:

The commissary was acting on behalf of +Canterbury not +Chichester - a sort of flying bishop in reverse.
That relies on the Archbishop having metropolitan jurisdiction over his province. But if he does have that jurisdiction and the archbishop ordains women priests then no diocese within that province can be 'free' of women priests anyway.

Flying bishops are consecrated by the Archbishop in the context of a communion service. They are in communion with the Archbishop - at least to start with.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
quote:

Is fancy language for the Pork Pie or Potato (thank you John Broadhurst) theory of ordained ministry.

Though, at a guess, I think MW will allow a suffragan to ordain women: he has a strong pragmatic streak.

Thank you - now i understand. Mention of John Broadhurst brings back uncomfortable memories about his views on women.

--------------------

Masha
Shipmate
# 10098

- Posted      Profile for Masha   Email Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Custard: My sending church normally doesn't robe for the main services (i.e. moderately low). I was there for 17 years - we had bishops there most years during that time and I never saw one without robes. One of the previous ministers of that church became a bishop, and he seems willing to wear chasubles and so on when that is the tradition of the church he is visiting.
I might be wrong (it happens a lot) but isn't it technically against Canon Law to preside without robes?

If so then I can understand why a bishop would not leave his pointy hat at home when in a robe-less church. And also why a previously non-robe bloke would robe up on becoming a bishop.

Besides, a mitre and staff would look pretty daft with a suit I reckon!

[ 07. May 2012, 19:48: Message edited by: Masha ]

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Yes it is against canon law but one of our bishops sometimes conducts confirmations in a lounge suit. One of my evangelical colleagues is outraged by it.

--------------------

Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good for him/her. Wanton disregard of the rules is a form of pride.

Honestly, how and why do people like that get appointed?

[ 08. May 2012, 18:45: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Honest Ron Bacardi
Shipmate
# 38

- Posted      Profile for Honest Ron Bacardi   Email Honest Ron Bacardi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Honestly, how and why do people like that get appointed?

By the diocesan (Messrs. Jobsforthe Boyce)

--------------------
Anglo-Cthulhic

Posts: 4857 | From: the corridors of Pah! | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
Yes it is against canon law but one of our bishops sometimes conducts confirmations in a lounge suit. One of my evangelical colleagues is outraged by it.

[Eek!] YIKES!

Those crazy, extreme, English Evangelicals! And a bishop, too, not wearing robes to administer confirmations! By comparison, I'm pretty sure robes are, or tend to be, the standard confirmation gear even for those Evangelically notorious Anglican bishops of Sydney.

At home here in the USA, among the thousands of Episcopal parishes, I'd be bowled over to find even one of them where the bishop was not robed for public confirmations, unless perhaps it was some kind of emergency situation. I'm sure the same must be true for the Anglican Church of Canada and in La Iglesia Anglicana de Mexico 'The Anglican Church of Mexico'.

Of course the national and established Church of England, despite the Pilgrims and the Roundheads, was able to acommodate and nurture Evangelicals of such extreme anti-vestiarian views. Hence, tales of English low churchery that the present day American Anglican/Episcopalian finds so very extraordinary and hard to understand.

The North American history of Anglican extremism, of whatever sort, has been to form spin-off groups or churches that are disconnected to the parent national church. Hard nosed anti-vestiarian Evangelicals have not been seen much around The Episcopal/Anglican churches of North America since 1873, when Episcopal Bp. George D. Cummins took off his robes to found the splinter Reformed Episcopal Church. Cummins took many Evangelicals with him.

By the way, in North American the same type of splintering from the Episcopal Church and Anglican Church of Canada have given birth to black Methodist churches and the many extreme Anglo-Catholic independent churches. That has tended to create a leavening effect.

I guess it can be said that North American Anglican history has consolidated a somewhat less diverse, but certainly solid and centrist ceremonial observance where you can always count on robes, for instance, for confirmation ... Thank heavens!

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
One of our bishops sometimes conducts confirmations in a lounge suit. One of my evangelical colleagues is outraged by it.

Presumably your colleague feels that the suit is far too formal and ought to be replaced by an open-neck shirt and jeans. [Cool]
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

I know that was tongue in cheek but it seems that older evangelical Anglicans go for the casual look while younger ones are discovering vestments - not just robes, full vestments.

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:

..., tales of English low churchery that the present day American Anglican/Episcopalian finds so very extraordinary and hard to understand.

Its easy. Imagine what the Episcopalians in the USA would be like if three-quarters of the Methodists and half the Presbyterians in the USA were still members of it.

--------------------
Ken

Adrian1
Shipmate
# 3994

- Posted      Profile for Adrian1   Email Adrian1   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I read about the appointment of Dr Warner in yesterday's Church Times with horror. Although I have no personal reason to dislike the man, I feel Chichester diocese needs a break from self proclaimed 'traditionalists' whose concept of tradition is epitomised by opposition to the ordination of women and not a deal else. It is one thing for the Church of England to make space for those who disagree (on whatever grounds) with its synodically agreed policies. It is quite another to reward them with diocesan bishoprics.

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 1986 | From: UK | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cedd
Shipmate
# 8436

- Posted      Profile for Cedd   Email Cedd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
...whose concept of tradition is epitomised by opposition to the ordination of women and not a deal else.

I don't know Dr Warner either but I suspect that his concept of tradition is a little wider than that.

--------------------
Cedd

Churchmanship: This week I am mostly an evangelical, catholic, orthodox with both liberal and illiberal tendancies. Terms and conditions apply.

Posts: 377 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Comper's Child
Shipmate
# 10580

- Posted      Profile for Comper's Child     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cedd:
quote:
Originally posted by Adrian1:
...whose concept of tradition is epitomised by opposition to the ordination of women and not a deal else.

I don't know Dr Warner either but I suspect that his concept of tradition is a little wider than that.
Yes, give the guy a break! He is a bright, interesting, and interested man.
Posts: 2509 | From: Penn's Greene Countrie Towne | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016