homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Life? I prefer reading. (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Life? I prefer reading.
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've recently finished 'Call the Midwife' by Jennifer Worth, which describes the author's experiences as a young midwife in the East End just after WWII and has now been made into a BBC series (which I haven't seen). Worth was based in a convent of Anglican nuns who worked amongst the East End poor and the book ends with her first tentative steps towards faith. Some of the stories are heart-breaking, but there are also some examples of wonderful kindness, such as the 'holy fool' who lovingly raises a son as his own despite the fact that the boy is very obviously the product of his wife's infidelity.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nick Harkaway, Angelmaker A nice combination of steampunk, noir crime fic, Thomas Pynchon humor, and The Avengers. Tightly written, with just enough exposition to set off the frantic and madcap action—and a competition between a bloodsucking, free-wheeling lawyer* and a one-toothed, glass-eyed dog for most endearing character. Oh, and monks who believe in encountering God in fine crafts—before their order gets hijacked into becoming an army of mechanical assassins. Trust me, it kinda makes sense by the end.

*Yes, I use the same mental voice for both said lawyer and Eliab. It kinda fits.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lady A

Narnian Lady
# 3126

- Posted      Profile for Lady A   Author's homepage   Email Lady A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just finished The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister and it was fabulous! Eight cooking classes, highlighting the eight people who are in the class - if you like food and good characterization, this would be a good one. Yummy!
Posts: 2545 | From: The Lion's Mane, Narnia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading The Big Six by Arthur Ransome. It's the only Swallows and Amazons book that I never read as a child - though neither the Swallows nor the Amazons are in it - this is a Norfolk Broads adventure with the Death and Glorys and Dick and Dot, following on from Coot Club.
So far there has been a night of catching eels, our heroes are unjustly suspected of casting off boats at night, and there's a scene where a wobbly tooth is pulled out - yee-ouch! It's great fun, and I may have to re-read Coot Club afterwards.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have finally, after going at it since January, finished the complete works of Tolstoy. It's a good thing I've got a kindle because I'd never have managed to carry a book that thick back and forth all the time. I loved almost all the books, War and Peace being my favourite. Just so magnificent.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Fr Raphael
Apprentice
# 17131

- Posted      Profile for Fr Raphael   Email Fr Raphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I'm reading The Big Six by Arthur Ransome. It's the only Swallows and Amazons book that I never read as a child - though neither the Swallows nor the Amazons are in it - this is a Norfolk Broads adventure with the Death and Glorys and Dick and Dot, following on from Coot Club.
So far there has been a night of catching eels, our heroes are unjustly suspected of casting off boats at night, and there's a scene where a wobbly tooth is pulled out - yee-ouch! It's great fun, and I may have to re-read Coot Club afterwards.

I am happy to read escapist books and love children's books like Arthur Ransome.

I'd love to hear of favourite classical children's books.

I recently re-read of the Bastables looking for treasure on the Lewisham road in the Treasure Seekers

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I like children's books, too - my favourites as a child (and still as an adult) were Through the Looking-Glass, and E. Nesbit's The House of Arden and The Story of the Amulet. I love that her children wander quite freely around familiar places like Regents Park and Tottenham Court Road.

I'd like to try some Ransome stories one day, and am so glad for recommendations on this thread... I recently read the fascinating Lambs of God after seeing it listed here, and I've got The Wine of Angels to read next (which actually might have been on the clerical detectives thread).

One book I'm reading at the moment is Radclyffe Hall's The Well of Loneliness, which I'm finding engrossing and surprisingly funny so far - the heroine Stephen is still a teenager.

Keep 'em coming - one can never have too many books!

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Posts: 1731 | From: Isle of Albion | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Fr Raphael
Apprentice
# 17131

- Posted      Profile for Fr Raphael   Email Fr Raphael   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You encourage me by your words to revisit Arthur Ransome, Pine Marten.

Years ago Ii got one of his books as a school probe.

Has anyone read any of the novels of John Henry Newman, and what did you think?

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend of mine (who sometimes advises Phil Rickman on occult lore) reckons that the Story of the Amulet is full of accurate esoteric knowledge!

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
... full of accurate esoteric knowledge

An oxymoron? [Razz]

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

- Posted      Profile for Pine Marten   Email Pine Marten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Quite possibly - it is a brilliant story, and of course was dedicated to Dr Wallis Budge, Keeper of Egyptian & Assyrian Antiquities in the British Museum, an expert in Egyptian religion and interested in the paranormal.

It's interesting that CS Lewis nicked some of Nesbit's ideas (sorry, paid 'homage'), such as the similarity of Queen Jadis appearing in London in The Magician's Nephew (another of my favourites) to the Babylonian queen appearing in London in Amulet.

ETA in reply to Eigon.

[ 16. June 2012, 16:22: Message edited by: Pine Marten ]

--------------------
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. - Oscar Wilde

Fr Raphael
Apprentice
# 17131

C S Laewis also mentioned the Bastables in the Magicians Nephew.
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Fr Raphael:
C S Laewis also mentioned the Bastables in the Magicians Nephew.

And the house the bastables lived in would (if it really existed) be in our parish [Smile] And the first house Edith Nesbit lived in when she was married is only about fifty yards from me.

One of my vary favouritist writers. I think The Amulet might be her best book, but the others are all good to.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Fr Raphael
Apprentice
# 17131

Fascinating Ken [Smile]

Does anyone belong to a book reading group? What titles have come to you from yours?

I have a mixed relationship with mine - sometimes I feel pressured to read a book I am not that bothered about, sometimes I enjoy something different I never would have read before.

LutheranChik
Shipmate
# 9826

- Posted      Profile for LutheranChik   Author's homepage   Email LutheranChik   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Every so often I'm sent on a magnificent obsession, and this summer I think it's antique children's textbooks. I remember my parents' old readers being very charming, and much more challenging than the hopelessly boring Dick and Jane books in my early-elementary classes. And when I was small my dad's 20's- era arithmetic book helped me understand equations and fractions much more then my own textbooks! Anyway...DP and I don't find too many of these during our antique excursions, but I'll have a special eye out for them. And maybe, like that old arithmetic book, I'll find one that will teach me something new.

--------------------
Simul iustus et peccator
http://www.lutheranchiklworddiary.blogspot.com

Posts: 6462 | From: rural Michigan, USA | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm reading "The Magician King" by Lev Grossman, his sequel to "The Magicians." They are obviously inspired by both Narnia and Harry Potter, but very much a 21st century take for grown-ups. There's a school for wizards, and a fictional Narnia-like world that turns out to be real, but it's definitely post-modern magic. For fantasy fans who are love the classics but are bored with the same old attempts to recreate them. He's a really good writer.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have been reading a very racy story whose title I forget about an orgy at a large house somewhere in an English-speaking country. It involves two young ladies who...

(censored!)

Anyway, it just arrived on the Nook application on our main computer...

Other than that, I am trying to catch up on a backlog of ordinary magazine articles with an eye toward clearing the clutter on our dining room table.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Revelations - Alex Preston - recc. by a shipmate, a thinly-veiled but over the top expose of The Alpha Course.

and

The Imitation of God in Christ - John Tinsley my former professor, who had an immense influence on me, but written about ten years before I went up to uni and interesting to see how his ideas developed. Biblically-based, non-heretical mysticism.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just finished 'Bring up the Bodies' (the sequel to 'Wolf Hall'). I'm very impressed by Mantel's ability to turn the life of Thomas Cromwell into such a fantastic page-turner given that the reader can look up his life on Wiki in an instant.
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I finished Arthur Marwick's The Sixties this morning - what a fascinating if somewhat pugnacious and iconoclastic (as was his wont) analysis of the era. I am of course a frustrated hippie, having been born 15 years too late to '"drop out," "turn on," and "tune in"' with Timothy Leary. (I tried - came dangerously close to it in fact until my conversion to Christianity).

So it was like an exploration of my bedrock, the good the bad and the plain bloody mephistophelian. 800+ pages but hard to put down. I wish I'd met Marwick.

[ 01. July 2012, 04:27: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Off to re-read Jaroslav Pelikan's Reformation of Church and Dogma, now. Again it's a sort of who am I - or at least who am Christianity - exploration.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just demolished in less than a day Simon Martin's "The Other Titanic".

I read it many years ago, borrowed from Newbury library, and was grabbed by the tale of the shipwreck, untouched for sixty years, and the two impetuous young men who ventured to a tiny island to salvage her for scrap. It may not sound much, but at the time I read it in one sitting, a cuppa growing cold and stale by my side.

I had quite forgotten it until we went to Quendale Mill in Shetland and there, on the wall, were beautiful carved oak panels salvaged from the wreck. Well, what could I do? I bought the book! And then, on a quayside in Lerwick, we came across a propellor blade, stood like a sentinel watching the sea. I'd never expected to come across tangible relics of her, and my gast was thoroughly flabbered.

Ships just do something to me. I guess they float my boat (sorry). If the sea gets you wet (sorry, again, honest), read it!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Why be Happy when you could be Normal? Jeanette Winterson. Hilarious and sad at the same time - how bad religion can ruin lives.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I've just finished a book called Oak Island Gold, by William Crooker, about an island in Canada where people have been digging for buried treasure on and off for two hundred years! It's obvious that something was put there sometime before 1795, and that elaborate precautions were taken to stop anyone digging it up again - but it's not clear who did it or why. It seems to have become an obsession with many people over the years - even John Wayne nearly got involved once, and Franklin D Roosevelt wrote letters about it, but no treasure has ever been found - and once you start getting people theorising about the Templars, you know you're getting into fruitbat territory!

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just finished A Prayer for Owen Meany, but I'm afraid the book didn't do much for me. I liked the Owen character, but I found the story a bit too convoluted.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I've been lent another book, this time about the history of Modern Pagan Witchcraft. It's called The Triumph of the Moon, but Ronald Hutton, and it's actually a very academic examination of modern paganism and its roots in nineteenth century cultural ideas so far.

--------------------

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

I recently got a cheap copy of that too - I have read some chapters but not all yet. I like Hutton's books, and often use them for reference.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The Book That Breathes New Life - W. Brueggemann - a survey of Old Testament scholarship over the past hundred years.

--------------------

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I have just finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. It's an absolutely amazing book. There was a world created that I wanted to enter, move around in and experience. My head was already there. It's so beautifully and sympathetically written and there is so much bravery in it.

But above all I would love to visit the night circus, to experience all of its experiences, to taste, smell and feel it. To see, if real, it is as good as it feels in my head.

Not often I rave like this about a book but I do recommend it.

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Eigon: I've been lent another book, this time about the history of Modern Pagan Witchcraft. It's called The Triumph of the Moon, but Ronald Hutton, and it's actually a very academic examination of modern paganism and its roots in nineteenth century cultural ideas so far.
I would be interested in reading that. In discussions with several neo-pagans, I found that they can be very defensive on this point, insisting that "Our religion is 37,000 years old!" and vehemently denying their more modern roots. I always suspected that it had a strong base in 18/19th Century Romanticism, it would be interesting to read some more about that.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Pine Marten
Shipmate
# 11068

LeRoc: I've got a few of Ronald Hutton's books, and would recommend them: The Stations of the Sun and The Rise & Fall of Merry England for example are histories of the ritual year. He has also written histories of the druids and pagans in Britain, and he's readable and reliable, I feel. He was brought up as a pagan, according to The Triumph of the Moon, but doesn't have any axe to grind, as it were.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

LeRoc - Hutton is saying a lot about the Romantic poets so far, and harking back to Classical mythology, and it's only in the 1830s or so that the concept of Mother Nature/Mother Goddess starts coming in.
Real Life is coming between me and much reading at the moment, but I'm finding it fascinating.

--------------------

Eleanor Jane
Shipmate
# 13102

- Posted      Profile for Eleanor Jane     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My new favourite author - Patrick Rothfuss. He's written two books in a fantasy trilogy and I luff heem! Original world, engaging main character, fresh, non-cliched writing style. It's been a week or two since I finished the second one and I'm yearning for the third book to be written.
Posts: 556 | From: Now in the UK! | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
TurquoiseTastic

Fish of a different color
# 8978

- Posted      Profile for TurquoiseTastic   Email TurquoiseTastic   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just whizzed through "The Crucible of Creation" by Simon Conway Morris; it's about the Burgess Shale and is really a counterblast to Stephen Jay Gould's famous "Wonderful Life".

Thesis in a nutshell - Gould says: re-run the tape of life and you'd get something completely different because extinction is often a matter of luck - "contingency" is very important. Conway Morris says No, because we are always seeing cases of convergent evolution. Ichythosaurs are rather like dolphins despite being only distantly related, because what else could a large marine creature be like? Evolution is constantly hitting on the same ideas about how to produce viable animals. Re-run the tape of life (a phrase he doesn't like) and you might well get something rather similar, even if it had a different ancestry.

My favourite part: the chapters in which he takes an imaginary submarine voyage through the Cambrian ocean, illustrated with some fun colour reconstructions of Burgess animals.

Least favourite aspect: The book has a slightly shrill air of academic rivalry; he seems at pains to point out just how wrong Stephen Jay Gould really is. Gould was a very winning and charming writer so this just makes Conway Morris come across as a bit of a meanie.

Most unexpected aspect: I knew Conway Morris was a Christian but didn't expect him to be so up-front about this in the book - there were some passages about transcendence, our responsibility as stewards and even the prospect of being held to account by God that really took me by surprise!

Posts: 1092 | From: Hants., UK | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eleanor Jane:
My new favourite author - Patrick Rothfuss. He's written two books in a fantasy trilogy and I luff heem! Original world, engaging main character, fresh, non-cliched writing style. It's been a week or two since I finished the second one and I'm yearning for the third book to be written.

Your mini-review intrigued me and I had to check these books out! The first has now been added to my to-read list. Although I do hate starting series that the writer is still writing (I'm looking at YOU George RR Martin...)

I've just finished Philippa Gregory's The Lady of the Rivers, the latest of her novels set in the Wars of the Roses era, focusing on Jaquetta of Luxembourg, mother of Elizabeth Woodville. Good, but not as gripping as her last one, The Red Queen, which was about Margaret Beaufort and one of my favourite PG novels thus far. Also, a very quick read -- today I read Nora Ephron's last collection of essays and reflections, I Remember Nothing. Very poignant to read so soon after the author's death, particularly as the book ends with a list of "What I Won't Miss" and "What I Will Miss." It was written a couple of years before her death but those last two lists certainly show she had mortality on her mind.

Before those two, I really enjoyed Rob Brydon's Small Man in a Book -- I don't usually bother with celebrity/showbiz memoirs but this one was right up my alley and very funny, and also Cheryl Strayed's novel Torch. It's a heavily autobiographical novel that she wrote a few years before her memoir Wild which is getting a lot of attention right now (and which I loved). Decided to go back and check out her earlier work and it was well worth it -- a very believable portrayal of a family's response to death.

[ 14. July 2012, 00:56: Message edited by: Trudy Scrumptious ]

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

The Gay Gospels – K. Sharpe. I am all in favour of a book that exposes and corrects the textual abuse of the Bible that oppresses LGBTs but, while this book is easy to read and may help some people, the author clutches at very thin straws, especially when he says that the Gospel of Thomas is as authoritative as the canonical gospels.

--------------------

LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

quote:
Eigon: LeRoc - Hutton is saying a lot about the Romantic poets so far, and harking back to Classical mythology, and it's only in the 1830s or so that the concept of Mother Nature/Mother Goddess starts coming in.
That may be true, but I suspect a strong link between neo-paganism and the idea of noble savage too. That is basically a 18th (or even 17th) Century concept.

But now I'm discussing, and I probably shouldn't do that in Heaven [Biased] I'll try to get a hold of some of Hutton's books.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
'Introverts in the Church: finding our place in an extroverted culture' - Adam S. McHugh

Written from an American Evangelical perspective, but I'm finding it has much to say to people bewildered by how even the higher end of mainstream denominations in Britain are becoming more informal and extrovert in practice.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

You're quite right, LeRoc - Hutton mentions the noble savage, too (and I'm just up to a fascinating section on local cunning men and women). I'm going to have to buy my own copy!

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Edward Trencom's Nose." A quirky and delightful story about Edward, the latest in a line of cheesemakers famed for their extraordinary noses, who investigates his family history in order to solve a mystery stretching back centuries. Amusingly written, and features a whole range of quite obscure cheeses, although the author's obvious fascination with the word "toumoulotyri" gets a bit annoying at times.
Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Having hugely enjoyed A Discovery of Witches, I bought and devoured Deborah Harkness's new book Shadow of Night. It was a little bit over-complicated, new strands kept being brought in, but it's very readable. I think she may have dated italic handwriting wrongly, but I can forgive that...

To further my descent into slightly trashy reading, I then read The Hunger Games and am just starting the second in the series, Catching Fire. Very, very readable!

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
venbede
Shipmate
# 16669

- Posted      Profile for venbede   Email venbede   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pine Marten:

I'd like to try some Ransome stories one day, and am so glad for recommendations on this thread...

Winter Holiday is wonderful to my mind, as are Coot Club and We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea.

--------------------
Man was made for joy and woe;
And when this we rightly know,
Thro' the world we safely go.

Posts: 3201 | From: An historic market town nestling in the folds of Surrey's rolling North Downs, | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've just finished Arthur Ransome's "Swallowdale". Roger sliding down the Knickerbockerbreaker never fails to make me giggle - and be thankful I don't have to darn his clothes afterwards !

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
'Introverts in the Church: finding our place in an extroverted culture' - Adam S. McHugh

Written from an American Evangelical perspective, but I'm finding it has much to say to people bewildered by how even the higher end of mainstream denominations in Britain are becoming more informal and extrovert in practice.

I read that some time ago and agree with your thoughts about it.

--------------------

lilyswinburne
Shipmate
# 12934

- Posted      Profile for lilyswinburne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I loved "Hops and Glory"! Thanks for recommending it.

Lily

Posts: 126 | From: California | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Re-examining Progressive Halakhah – ed. W. Jacob & M. Zemer - despite some Christians accusing Jews of being 'legalistic', this book shows how flexible they are.

--------------------

Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Pnin by Nabokov

Alison Bechdel's Are you my mother, a sequel to her amazing "Fun Home"

Automat, a history of Horn and Hardart

Mary Beard's All in a Don's Day

In One Person by John Irving

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooh, Bechdel's got a new one? Thank you for that info!

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Just finished Linda Fairstein's Night Watch.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am reading Pope Benedict's autobiography for church and a Terry Pratchett book for the Ship's book club.

When his studies at seminary were interrupted, the pope had a real tough time during the last war (World War II for the unscholarly). Oddly, he and his siblings all became religious: his brother Georg is also a priest and their sister Maria became a nun.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016