homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Calling RooK to Hell (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Calling RooK to Hell
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
What happened to the healthy community function that gave voice to poor, offended people's emotions?

People gotta step the hell up if they got something to say. I did.

And for the record, while disagreement is part of the process, "You don't get Hell" is just as candy-ass a response as " That's not nice," AFAIAC. (That was preemptive.)

RooK: I've now read your response three times over. That was exactly the kind of thing I was talking about in my first paragraph.

[ 02. December 2012, 17:17: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
And for the record, while disagreement is part of the process, "You don't get Hell" is just as candy-ass a response as " That's not nice," AFAIAC. (That was preemptive.)
Preempting what, exactly?

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Confused]
People who would try to shut people up by saying that. Jeez! Zach, do you actually have anything to say about the subject of the OP?

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I said it- I like Rooks snarkiness.

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RooK needs me to defend him about as much as the Large Hadron Collider needs a USB port, but anyway...

Firstly this, from Kelly Alves is one the best things I have read on the Ship in a long time.

Secondly, RooK might not post as much as he used to, and he may have some lame excuse about 'real life' and 'having kids' - like they're important [Roll Eyes] - but he's certainly part of the posting community here who does much more then send down occasional thunderbolts. He even wades through pages of naval-gazing self-absorption by one of Christianity's less-intelligent forms to prick pomposity where it needs it.

RooK has a way of getting to the point that most of us can only dream of. He once said something in passing that made me think so much I left the Ship for two years just to get a grip on it.

Yes, he offends. But probably less that the Great Gator, who was the most community minded person ever to grace this Ship, and I hope he goes on offending. Why am I happy for him to go on offending? It's because, when it comes down to it, 99% of the prattling that I and pretty much everyone else here endlessly spout is about a certain belief system. And at least some here say that belief system teaches that an omnipotent, all-loving creator of all things knows that RooK will spend all eternity in the fires of hell because he didn't pay enough attention to a dead Jew on a stick. Now that's offensive.

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Psst. Evensong, you may have a greater knowledge of anatomy than I, but last I checked, females don't have balls, except of course as pets.

Quite so, quite so.

Unfortunately I was bound by rhetorical convention; once must needs use the literary imagery of the original assailant.

Besides, "no one else having the boobs to do it" doesn't have quite the same ring to it.* [Biased]

(* tho I can confirm a jab to the boobs hurts like hell too)

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

OVARIES.

Does no-one read my posts?

--------------------

Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Personally, I like mousethief's use of chutzpah. It is genderless, as is bravery.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
OVARIES.

I like huevos [Spanish for eggs] because it is Spanish slang for "balls" but has a feminine double meaning.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Good point.

--------------------

RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
BTW did I recall correctly that you once rushed a small animal to vet ER one time, RooK? Or is my memory playing tricks?

Sorry, almost missed this.

Yeah, I rushed a mouse to the vet - in a motherfucking ice storm. It was my yet-to-be-wife's pet mouse, and the stupid fucking thing had some sort of allergic reaction and proceeded to puff up and squeak piteously. My better half called around for advice, but most offices were closed due to inclement weather. She finally found a place that was open, and they couldn't diagnose over the phone (no surprise there).

I've done a lot of bad-weather and winter driving. But there's something especially treacherous about Portland ice storms. It's one part that the ice is oh-so-near phase change, making it super-slippery. And another part that the vast majority of people trying to drive in Portland in bad weather have absolutely no fucking clue what they're doing. Youtube is jam-packed with Portlanders attempting winter driving; it's less funny in person. It's possible that the mouse's life was more at risk during the trip to and from the vet's office than it was from the original condition. But, regardless, some antihistamines and some fortunate avoiding of spinning-out-of-control SUV's later, and all was well.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Nevertheless his "you people" statements show, and must be intended to show, a distancing and derision.

Yeah, but it's a distancing from and derision for Christianity, not Ship of Fools.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:
Nevertheless his "you people" statements show, and must be intended to show, a distancing and derision.

Yeah, but it's a distancing from and derision for Christianity, not Ship of Fools.
I really love France. Too bad that it is full of arrogant, annoying, loud and horny Frenchmen... And strangely enough, I've not yet met a Frog appreciating this obvious distinction. They seem to take this as some kind of insult, and laugh derisively at my suggestion that I should be the President of France, given my great love for their country.

(For the humour-impaired, the above is not an accurate reflection of how I think about the French. At least while I'm not in France. [Biased] )

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
OVARIES.

Alas I have neither ovaries nor balls - literally or figuratively.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
RooK:
quote:
It's possible that the mouse's life was more at risk during the trip to and from the vet's office than it was from the original condition. But, regardless, some antihistamines and some fortunate avoiding of spinning-out-of-control SUV's later, and all was well.
Yay! What a mensch! (You, not the mouse. [Biased] )

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Just to round things off:

Coudn't resist.

God, I love Steve Buscemi. Pleasant singing voice, too.

So, RooK and Bingo, pretty much. [Snigger]

[ 04. December 2012, 07:02: Message edited by: Kelly Alves ]

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by IngoB:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

I really love France. Too bad that it is full of arrogant, annoying, loud and horny Frenchmen... And strangely enough, I've not yet met a Frog appreciating this obvious distinction. They seem to take this as some kind of insult, and laugh derisively at my suggestion that I should be the President of France, given my great love for their country.

(For the humour-impaired, the above is not an accurate reflection of how I think about the French. At least while I'm not in France. [Biased] )

It ain't a Christian website. Thank God.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've been mainly a circus-rat here, just straying elsewhere when something grabs me. As did the 'jew on a stick' comment. I said what I thought of that on the Styx thread.

I read around a lot though. Rook can be an arsehole in so many ways, but...there's something solid and committed behind that which distinguishes him from all the other arseholes on the Ship. I'm touched by what he's said here, as I was by his post after Erin died. God bless him, we wouldn't be what we are if we didn't love him.

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Rook works really hard at being an asshole. We psychologists (I believe his wife is one) know a reaction formation when we see it.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
Rook works really hard at being an asshole.

Maybe he could use some of this. Pretty up what comes out?
Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
no prophet: Maybe he could use some of this. Pretty up what comes out?
Hm. "www.funnyjunk.com"...... I was, naturally, expecting to see pictures of comedic penises. Glad it was not so [Paranoid]

--------------------
Smurfs are weird. And so am I.

Posts: 634 | From: Melbskies | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:

To which of those hundred little clips were you referring ? Way to make a point. Asshole.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
quote:

To which of those hundred little clips were you referring ? Way to make a point. Asshole.
You need some too do you?

Particularly since your name calling shows a complete absence of creativity in this context. If it is not too subtle for you, I'll just call you Peter and give you this emoticon: [Two face]

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm giving everybody 24 hours to come up with a reason why this thread shouldn't be euthanised.

It was supposed to be for calling a Canadian* to Hell, not for another Canadian to put us THROUGH Hell with annoyingly pointless links.

* Or at least, someone known for using Canadian symbols - I've never enquired deeply into his origins.

[ 06. December 2012, 23:42: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

- Posted      Profile for Mullygrub   Email Mullygrub   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
orfeo: I'm giving everybody 24 hours to come up with a reason why this thread shouldn't be euthanised.
That's remarkably generous of you, orfeo. Must be all that contagious Christmas cheer. Or summat.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:

* Or at least, someone known for using Canadian symbols - I've never enquired deeply into his origins.

i like to consider RooK a Canadian In A Bad Situation™.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mullygrub:
quote:
orfeo: I'm giving everybody 24 hours to come up with a reason why this thread shouldn't be euthanised.
That's remarkably generous of you, orfeo. Must be all that contagious Christmas cheer. Or summat.
No, it's not generous, it's practical. Anything less than 24 hours, and I'll get someone in some annoying timezone who runs complaining to Styx that I locked the thread while they were sleeping.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

quote:
orfeo:... while they were sleeping.
Hm. So which character does that make you, orfeo?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

To an American, Portland is like heaven on earth. To a Canadian, it must seem like Hell.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

quote:
quote:
STFU, would you? Ta.

--------------------

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dunno whether it's the host status or the avatar, but you've changed, orfeo. You're more fiery and steely and less .... um... biscuity. I don't know what induction ritual they put you folk through - is there a special one for Hell Hosts? I'm worried about Sioni - will he also transmogrify?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Oh, give me a break. Orfeo's always been a pugnacious little brat. That's why I consider him a kindred spirit.

--------------------

Mullygrub
Up and over
# 9113

quote:
quote:
quote:
STFU, would you? Ta.
Bah. Humbug.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I dunno whether it's the host status or the avatar, but you've changed, orfeo. You're more fiery and steely and less .... um... biscuity. I don't know what induction ritual they put you folk through - is there a special one for Hell Hosts? I'm worried about Sioni - will he also transmogrify?

It's called Power. Finally there's a point to saying some of this stuff, because I can back it up.

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:

To an American, Portland is like heaven on earth. To a Canadian, it must seem like Hell.
To a Southern Californian who moved to Oregon in the winter it was hell. The same Southern Californian thought it was heaven in the spring.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by QLib:
I don't know what induction ritual they put you folk through

I hear it involves interpretive dance, alcohol, chickens, Turing tests, software upgrades and being told not to push the big red button. But that's just wild unsubstantiated rumour.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

Isn't it Louie Louie if we're talking Oregon? I don't know anything else about it, except that the Hudson Bay Company had a post at the mouth of the Columbia River and did some trading with the Spanish of California. If not for a couple of bad decisions and a day late, Rook would actually be in Canada.
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Married a Southern Californian, and Portland was the compromise.

Also, the gigantic multinational I work for lets me play all day and pays me embarrassing piles of money for being here.

Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Portland's not at the mouth of the Columbia.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
CRACKS HOSTLY WHIP

I don't know when orf's 24 hours are up, but this thread has gone stupid.

Die, thread. Die!

THREAD CLOSED

comet
Hellhost

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016