homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » We Hates Facebook, My Preciousss (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: We Hates Facebook, My Preciousss
Traveller
Shipmate
# 1943

- Posted      Profile for Traveller     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I only have a Facebook account so that my wife can find herself and check what non-friends can see of her own Facebook account. [Eek!]

It doesn't stop Facebook regularly sending me e-mails saying it has found some people I may know from my own category - retired! [Big Grin]

--------------------
I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live:
I will praise my God while I have my being.
Psalm 104 v.33

Posts: 1037 | From: Wherever the car has stopped at the moment! | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure whether my FB friends are different than most, but I find I prefer the regular updates to Christmas Letters because people are more honest. In Round Robins, everyone makes their families sound so perfect, with all their achievements listed. However, on FB, people tend to shoot from the hip, annoyances as well as celebrations. So you get to find that their kids have wound them up, made a mess, didn't succeed at getting their dream job, or whatever. It's much more true to life.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angelfish:
The way people use FB tells you a lot about their insecurities. Deep down, we are all seeking affirmation, so the things people post show you what it is they seek affirmation for.

I must be wildly insecure about dawns and sunsets.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I tried going without Facebook and replacing it with real-life interactions for a while, but some of my friends got really pissy about me turning up to their house and asking to look at some pictures of their girlfriend in a bikini. [Devil]

Where is the like button?

--------------------
Less is more ...

kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
I tried going without Facebook and replacing it with real-life interactions for a while, but some of my friends got really pissy about me turning up to their house and asking to look at some pictures of their girlfriend in a bikini. [Devil]

Where is the like button?
[Killing me]

To really piss them off, take a single plated meal round with you, show it to them, then eat it all yourself,

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Winnow
Apprentice
# 5656

- Posted      Profile for Winnow   Email Winnow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My use of Facebook has evolved ... started as a way to connect with friens, relatives, and long-lost old friends and relatives, and to keep up with goings-on of everyone.

But I've discovered so many very interesting facebook pages devoted to my various intersts, or stuff I'm wanting to get interested in, and I've "liked" them and boy am I learning a lot. It's really really cool.

And as cat-people, DH and love the cat pictures [Hot and Hormonal] , and all the wild animal and bird sites. Not intersted in the photos of what-you-fixed-for-dinner (usually looks unappetizing) or vacations or the invitations to join the crazy games. Don't have time for that nonsense.

I love to have fun with political stuff -- if I disagree with their opinions (and I do disagree with a fair number of friends and relatives) I usually just post "hoghwash" or "baloney" or something of that sort ... I have to say SOMETHING. [Biased]

So I like facebook, but some parts of it bug me to death. I threaten to leave occasionally, but never do ...

Posts: 34 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like FB, because I can try to beat Kelly (may she live forever), St. Sebastian, Pants and Sharkshooter in Angry Birds. [Snigger]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She said, as she just trounced Kelly on the weekly tournament. [Razz]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(Hi, my name is Kelly, and I am a Facebook games addict. I also have a competitive streak I never knew I had.) [Snigger]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Winnow:
Not intersted in the photos of what-you-fixed-for-dinner (usually looks unappetizing)

Yes - it usually looks awful! these friends need some lessons in food photography! My usual response is 'bleugh' (verbally of course, I stay silent online!

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is not a trend I've noticed. Why would you want to photograph your (cooling) dinner rather than eating it?

It just goes to show, no one FB style is normative.

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I joined facebook because no one was sending me pictures of anything

It's also useful to keep tabs on people who have drifted away from the Ship.

I don't unfriend anyone easily, but don't irritate me.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
This is not a trend I've noticed. Why would you want to photograph your (cooling) dinner rather than eating it?

Who can say? I've seen this, though not with anyone I'm linked to on FB. There was a spate of this on an amateur photography site I was on, too: which even spawned a Crap Photos parody with pictures of plates of half eaten dinners with a dirty fork stuck into them, with a hideous colour cast over the photo.

Anyway, being on FB is now saving me the postage, I no longer have to buy stationery and books of stamps in order to post photos of my dinner to all my friends. [Big Grin]

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The only person I see posting food pictures is one of my young relatives who has recently started university and therefore is learning by experience how to cook for herself and her friends every night. She is justifiably quite proud of her efforts and needs a little encouragement from all of us!

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Am I the only person whom the thought of being tracked down on FB by a whole load of people from the past fills with horror?
Nope. That's why my old schools, university and previous work record aren't in my FB record.

What baffles me is the little link to Facebook that pops up every time you buy something on Amazon. Who WANTS all their Facebook 'friends' to know that they've just bought the complete series of 'My Fluffy Little Magic Secret Unicorn'?* These shameful secrets should be shrouded in decent obscurity.

*It's not for me, it's for my daughter.

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Jane R:

What baffles me is the little link to Facebook that pops up every time you buy something on Amazon. Who WANTS all their Facebook 'friends' to know that they've just bought the complete series of 'My Fluffy Little Magic Secret Unicorn'?*

Doubtless in hopes that word of mouth will cause the sales of Fluffy Magic Unicorn books to go through the roof.

Married as I am to someone who has a book Out There, we cherish any online commendations we see (as do the Publishers).

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've posted food pictures several times. However, NOT after the meal is already begun to be eaten!

Frankly it's mostly for the colour combinations. Or shapes. I photographed some strawberries in a bowl once because they were very red and wet and glistening and had happily arranged themselves in an artful manner worthy of a still life.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted a picture of two olives once, but they were in a lovely vessel filled with Plymouth Gin and a small amount of dry vermouth. It was a thing of beauty.

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jane R
Shipmate
# 331

- Posted      Profile for Jane R   Email Jane R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze:
quote:
Doubtless in hopes that word of mouth will cause the sales of Fluffy Magic Unicorn books to go through the roof.
I can see why the publishers and author would like you to tell all your friends. What I can't understand is why you yourself would want to do so...

Perhaps I am just bitter and twisted as a result of having to feign enthusiasm for Fluffy Magic Unicorn books (hey, at least she's reading SOMETHING).

Posts: 3958 | From: Jorvik | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Get her Fluffy Magic Unicorns Discuss Client Server Protocols. That'll put her off. (Robbed me of the will to live.)
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
I've posted food pictures several times. However, NOT after the meal is already begun to be eaten!

Frankly it's mostly for the colour combinations. Or shapes. I photographed some strawberries in a bowl once because they were very red and wet and glistening and had happily arranged themselves in an artful manner worthy of a still life.

There is nothing wrong with food photography [Smile]

It's when photos of a soggy grey mess with the words 'my tea, yum!' are posted that I shake my head.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

geroff
Shipmate
# 3882

- Posted      Profile for geroff   Email geroff   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My FB avatar (or whatever they call them) is of me eating ice cream!

[ 02. February 2013, 11:31: Message edited by: geroff ]

--------------------
"The first principle in science is to invent something nice to look at and then decide what it can do." Rowland Emett 1906-1990

Posts: 1172 | From: Montgomeryshire, Wales | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done Facebook as a person, but my blog now has its own page. I just dropped that in on the off-chance that someone might want to "Like" it.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
I've never done Facebook as a person, but my blog now has its own page. I just dropped that in on the off-chance that someone might want to "Like" it.

What is the hairy mound of grey stuff?

[Eek!] [Confused]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016