homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Vote Now: Best Uses For a Brick!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Vote Now: Best Uses For a Brick!
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would be interesting to see how often Shipmates visit the Ship.

So here's the poll to find out!

How often do you visit the Ship?

[ 13. February 2013, 04:21: Message buggered about with by: Ariston ]

This poll has been moved to another board.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I put 5-10 times a day, certainly on weekdays when I can access it easily from my desk PC.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You need to do some math to predict the profile of the whole ship population from this sample. After one day, you would expect the ratio of weeklies : dailies by response to be 1/7 what it actually is, for instance.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I like the second last option best, but I think that would be too little for a Host.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was going to say— three of the people answering that poll (probably with high numbers of visits/day) have to answer it to read it. Hosting skews your ship visits—must remain ever vigilant, someone's code could be WRONG!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Bean Sidhe
Shipmate
# 11823

- Posted      Profile for Bean Sidhe   Email Bean Sidhe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I check in a couple of times a day, but can go days without posting. Unless something gets me going!

--------------------
How do you know when a politician is lying?
His lips are moving.

Danny DeVito

Posts: 4363 | From: where the taxis won't go | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've made myself a tally chart to see how many actual visits I make, this may be quite different from my estimate!

(Time on my hands, moi??)

[Angel]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also it is not so much the number of visits as the duration of each one.

Then, as Ariston says, for Hosts it is slightly different as we have to clock in in the Host's Lounge, where we collect our complimentary glass of GIN [PIMM'S in summer time] from the barrel in the corner - and where some Hosts bring a pint pot! Then we have to read all the wonderful and enlightening things folks have written on our own Board as well as keep abreast of goings on in The Styx and sometimes on other Boards as well.

Admins, of course, drink Stolly and Bolly - Tubbs is Patsy Stone - and have their own little First Class Lounge.

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariston:
...someone's code could be WRONG!

Just the code, Ariston? [Biased]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:

Admins, of course, drink Stolly and Bolly - Tubbs is Patsy Stone - and have their own little First Class Lounge.

I was going to claim Edina, but I am so totally Saffy.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
...and I had you down as Granny!

[Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

I say that purely because she has all the best lines, of course.

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

Did you like the 'none of the above' box? I hate elections which don't have one. It's my usual answer.

[Disappointed]

This time I'm in the majority, so far (1-5 times a day). I reckon that's pretty hooked.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a round of websites I visit once or twice a day during the week (no internet at home). My visits to the Ship come between Planet Bahai and UK Pagan although I might look in again if there is nothing worth arguing about on NewBuddhist.
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you are reading a post on the ship and an email comes in. You pause to rad the email then returm to the ship.

Is that one visit or two?

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
balaam

Making an ass of myself
# 4543

- Posted      Profile for balaam   Author's homepage   Email balaam   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
Did you like the 'none of the above' box? I hate elections which don't have one. It's my usual answer.

[Disappointed]

This time I'm in the majority, so far (1-5 times a day). I reckon that's pretty hooked.

[Big Grin]

What are the larger numbers for?

Get up. Log on to ship.
Have breakfast. Return to ship.
Lunch/Dinner. Ship. Tea/Dinner. Ship. Suppper. Ship.

Five times a day is all day. Unless you don't sleep.

--------------------
Last ever sig ...

blog

Posts: 9049 | From: Hen Ogledd | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Welease Woderwick:
Also it is not so much the number of visits as the duration of each one.

True that. I could put "one visit a day" down and it would be true for most days, but it's one visit that can last several hours!

I went with 5-10 visits per day as being most representative of the actual amount of time I spend here.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

I let the legion of people with sharper tongues fix the dumb ideas.

[ 07. December 2012, 15:37: Message edited by: Ariston ]

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by balaam:
If you are reading a post on the ship and an email comes in. You pause to rad the email then returm to the ship.

Is that one visit or two?

Yes

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The frequency of my visits depends on the time of year. I usually give up computer games for Advent and Lent, so spend more time on the Ship then.
Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does it make a difference if you log out or just shut the browser window? If you count the number of times I have logged in it's every time a get a new computer.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
Does it make a difference if you log out or just shut the browser window? If you count the number of times I have logged in it's every time a get a new computer.

Haha - me too! (Then I have to email the admins to find my password)

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
...Haha - me too! (Then I have to email the admins to find my password)

[Smile]

I had to do that this last week, my excuse being that I was tired - I have now stored the information securely somewhere just in case it happens again.

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
quote:

I let the legion of people with sharper tongues fix the dumb ideas.
Thank goodness they do not fix all the dumb ideas, or there would be naught to read.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I am teaching and have a long lunch or some other period where I have no pupils, I may visit more than once a day. However, I am often busy with other things and don't visit at all!

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

70 shipmates have voted and between one and five visits a day is the most popular, as expected.

Habit forming, for sure.

“The fixity of a habit is generally in direct proportion to its absurdity.”

― Marcel Proust

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016