homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Should Bathroom Gender Rules Be Enforced at All? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Should Bathroom Gender Rules Be Enforced at All?
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stonespring:
... The parents and child were so offended that they started homeschooling the girl pending a lawsuit trying to force the school to let her use the girls' bathroom. ...

One does occasionally wonder whether some people go through life looking for opportunities to be offended.

There are always lawyers willing to oblige - for a fee.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's been previous discussion of the specific transgender case on this thread.

Enoch, to save you or anyone else wading through it all, here is Nicole Maines' dad talking about the family's experiences. Clearly he and his wife did not go out of their way to find an opportunity to be offended. He's a loving parent who has been on a journey.

[The Maines lost the court case, BTW. I don't think they lost the argument.]

[ 05. May 2013, 09:00: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chas of the Dicker:
The Loo at my theological college had, for a time, a sign over the light switch which proclaimed:

"A light to enlighten the genitals"

"All wee like sheep."

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My apologies Barnabas. I did not realise this had arisen out of another thread. I had followed the earlier part of the other thread but lost interest, largely given up on it, and missed this reference completely. I withdraw my comment on this case (except for the bit about lawyers). It shows how one could so easily jump to a conclusion that looked fairly feasible based on the limited information in this thread.

[ 05. May 2013, 18:11: Message edited by: Enoch ]

--------------------

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
quote:
Originally posted by loggats:
Have a friend who (at the age of 14 or something) was lost in a city far from home, randomly knocked on some old dear's door and asked to use her loo.

I respectfully submit that having to use the loo is the least of troubles for a 14-year-old lost in a strange city far from home.
Unless, like me, one suffers from moderate to severe irritable bowel disease!! Mine is often induced by stress of even the mildest sort... I'd say being lost in a city far from home qualifies for a bout of I.B.D. [Waterworks]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I mean, we all know what goes on in a loo but it does sort of kill the glamour of a woman.
Yes, because God forbid we see women as living, breathing, real people who shit and piss! Oh, some women fart and vomit, too. So much for glamour. Hope that doesn't kill your romantic notions. [Killing me]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
The5thMary: Yes, because God forbid we see women as living, breathing, real people who shit and piss!
I'm sorry, but I've been led to believe that women only go to the bathroom to powder their noses.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pia
Shipmate
# 17277

- Posted      Profile for Pia     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have recently authorised the 'rebranding' of one of the loos in the building where I work as a 'non gender-specific' loo. We have segregated men's and women's facilities already, and some accessible loos, and one or two single-user facilities.* I am very happy for these to be clearly signposted as non gender-specific. Anyone who wants single-sex can use the single-sex loos, but trans people, people who need to use the one nearest to hand, and people who don't - if you'll pardon the pun - give a shit, can use the non gender-specific loo, without it needing to be specifically designated as being there for trans people and thus in some way 'labelling' its users.

*I do realise that we are lucky to have such an embarrassment of riches in the restroom department!

Rosa Winkel

Saint Anger round my neck
# 11424

- Posted      Profile for Rosa Winkel   Author's homepage   Email Rosa Winkel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I also reckon that bogs for men, women and unisex are good ideas. I know that us men tend to be quicker than women, but I don't want women present when I've having a piss. Therefore, having extra bogs are useful.

In Taize, by the way, I was responsible for cleaning both male and female areas. There was no difference in cleanliness between then.

In my private life I notice that, as women don't tend to lift the toilet seat up, they don't notice the marks they leave and therefore do not clean them.

Still, coming back to the point, as pointed out here, such is our binary hegemony that we need to discuss this. Having three sets of bogs can be defeatism. Funny, saying that, I knew a male-to-female transexual and I wouldn't mind her being present when I was having a piss.

--------------------
The Disability and Jesus "Locked out for Lent" project

Posts: 3271 | From: Wrocław | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Vulpior

Foxier than Thou
# 12744

- Posted      Profile for Vulpior   Author's homepage   Email Vulpior   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Both of my two previous churches had conversions to add toilet facilities; one in a space off the church lobby and one in the hall. Each conversion added two toilet cubicles, neither of them gender-specific and without complete air separation (dividers did not go all the way to the ceiling; I can't remember if they went all the way to the floor).

I didn't like using either of them. I'm okay with using public toilet cubicles, but I didn't like the idea of Granny Miggins hearing, smelling or otherwise being aware of me in there! It's probably more because I knew Granny Miggins; I think I would have been less uncomfortable if it was Mr Miggins in the neighbouring cubicle, but still uncomfortable.

--------------------
I've started blogging. I don't promise you'll find anything to interest you at uncleconrad

Posts: 946 | From: Mount Fairy, NSW | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Bernard Mahler
Shipmate
# 10852

- Posted      Profile for Bernard Mahler   Email Bernard Mahler   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has this thread got rather bogged down?

--------------------
"What does it matter? All is grace" Georges Bernanos

Posts: 622 | From: Auckland New Zealand | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Yahoo tried unisex facilities at one of their campuses. They reverted to separate after a short time. I am thinking one of the issues was cleanliness. They aimed to solve an issue, but an issue arose from aim.

That is interesting. I never knew that. They never did anything like that at HQ.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
quote:
The5thMary: Yes, because God forbid we see women as living, breathing, real people who shit and piss!
I'm sorry, but I've been led to believe that women only go to the bathroom to powder their noses.
And chat. Don't forget the chatting (which I suppose might be another reason why women want separate facilities [Biased] ).

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Prester John:
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Yahoo tried unisex facilities at one of their campuses. They reverted to separate after a short time. I am thinking one of the issues was cleanliness. They aimed to solve an issue, but an issue arose from aim.

That is interesting. I never knew that. They never did anything like that at HQ.
My apologies, I meant to say YouTube, specifically YouTube Space.

[ 06. May 2013, 17:34: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
la vie en rouge: And chat. Don't forget the chatting (which I suppose might be another reason why women want separate facilities [Biased] ).
In fact, this would be a good reason why I would favour them too. I like some room for quiet contemplation when I'm alone with my, erm, willy.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At the moment, when entering a female only loo block, I do not expect to see a man in there. Therefore, if I was to see one, alarm bells in my mind would start ringing and I'd make a very quick exit, assuming the reason to be malign.

If the loo block was unisex, how would I know if the man's intentions were malign or whether he just needed to use the facilities?

(Remember I'm talking particularly from the viewpoint of loos in quiet rural areas.)

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chorister:
At the moment, when entering a female only loo block, I do not expect to see a man in there. Therefore, if I was to see one, alarm bells in my mind would start ringing and I'd make a very quick exit, assuming the reason to be malign.

If the loo block was unisex, how would I know if the man's intentions were malign or whether he just needed to use the facilities?

(Remember I'm talking particularly from the viewpoint of loos in quiet rural areas.)

How do you know you aren't going to get jumped by the guy in the bus shelter, or the sole male attendant in the garage, or the male standing behind the cashpoint etc. What is it that makes you uniquely vulnerable washing your hands ? (Or males in a shared toilet facility likely to be much more dangerous than those in other kind of shared facility.)

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
la vie en rouge: And chat. Don't forget the chatting (which I suppose might be another reason why women want separate facilities [Biased] ).
In fact, this would be a good reason why I would favour them too. I like some room for quiet contemplation when I'm alone with my, erm, willy.
Generally people don't try to talk to you when you are in a cubicle. (I think the most conversation I have had in a public toilet has been, 'there's no loo roll in that one' or 'excuse me' on the way to the hand drier.)

[ 06. May 2013, 21:30: Message edited by: Doublethink ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Generally people don't try to talk to you when you are in a cubicle. (I think the most conversation I have had in a public toilet has been, 'there's no loo roll in that one' or 'excuse me' on the way to the hand drier.)

Whilst stood queueing in the Ladies in a pub once, I had a conversation with a girl in a cubicle. Unfortunately, she refused to close the door and wouldn't stop talking until she was done. [Eek!] Only happened the once, but once was enough.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Nenya
Shipmate
# 16427

- Posted      Profile for Nenya     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:
I'd agree that you don't expect conversation from strangers but in my experience if you go into a loo with a friend it's quite usual to carry on the conversation you're having while you're both in the cubicles as well as while washing your hands and standing at the mirror reapplying your lipstick.

I guess we're all talking about the kind of shared loos which are reasonably nice, not the sort that you only visit if you're desperate and get out of as soon as possible. Some restaurant and hotel toilets are positively delightful... individual rolled up hand towels, flowers, soap, hand cream, mirrors, armchairs... The sort you visit even if you don't need to, just for the experience.

Nen - Nice Toilets I Have Known.

--------------------
They told me I was delusional. I nearly fell off my unicorn.

no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Backward colonial living on the Canadian prairies here, beware of avatar twins.

In small towns and rural, when the women's can is in use, women commonly use the men's. And why not. Men efficiently pee, and the toilet is vacant. The stall is lockable.

It is also common that there is only one potty, and all use it in turn. Also, sometimes the men's room doesn't have a toilet at all, just a trough for pee, all lined up, trying to aim away from those on the left and right (this is the small town legion or church hall experience). Men have to use the women's for the other job.

Finally, it is rather clear that the person who is to use the facilities makes the decision which one to use. I've never seen anyone bat an eye about anyone using whatever one they want to. Here I'm referring to gas stations, public buildings, sports arenas.

Now, if you're actually bathing, there might be a difference in conduct, i.e., a shower, locker or change room. Though we commonly have 3 change rooms: men, women and family. When crowded anyone will use the family one.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
How do you know you aren't going to get jumped by the guy in the bus shelter, or the sole male attendant in the garage, or the male standing behind the cashpoint etc. What is it that makes you uniquely vulnerable washing your hands ? (Or males in a shared toilet facility likely to be much more dangerous than those in other kind of shared facility.)

Because in the sort of loos I'm talking about, nobody would hear you scream - you are in rarely used facilities, not in a well-populated place. It's probably rather different in busy cities, although there are documented cases of young girls being attacked in supermarket loos so not impossible. A man lurking in a place normally reserved for women would alert you to danger, a man in a unisex area probably wouldn't, even if he actually is a danger. It would be harder to read the signs.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

I think you are right to be suspicious of somebody of the opposite gender in a segregated area - because then you are talking about breaking boundaries etc. But that is different from planning unisex facilities in the first place.

Isolation is easier to solve, you put a jackpot alarm in the facility itself and cctv on the outer door.

But I suppose my point is, that there are many places where you may end up alone with men. Driving lessons for example. Usually we don't read that as a threat, you are - of course - far more likely to be attacked at home by someone you know.

--------------------

AmyBo
Shipmate
# 15040

- Posted      Profile for AmyBo   Email AmyBo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just dandy with the idea of a unisex toilet- most of the month. But the sound of a maxi pad or tampon wrapper opening up is pretty hard to disguise, and I don't ant to explain that one to any of the guys I work with. And they really don't want to know!
Posts: 122 | From: Minnesota | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Gramps49
Shipmate
# 16378

- Posted      Profile for Gramps49   Email Gramps49   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bathrooms at Lewis-Clark College in Portland OR are gender neutral. It is not unusual to see male and female dorm mates sharing the same bathroom. One shaving while the other is putting on makeup.
Posts: 2193 | From: Pullman WA | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by AmyBo:
I'm just dandy with the idea of a unisex toilet- most of the month. But the sound of a maxi pad or tampon wrapper opening up is pretty hard to disguise, and I don't ant to explain that one to any of the guys I work with. And they really don't want to know!

(wonders idly what a man would make of the suctiony sound of mooncup removal / replacement)

lightbulb moment!

Having puzzled for several days over loggats remark:

quote:
I mean, we all know what goes on in a loo but it does sort of kill the glamour of a woman.
starts to think loggats may have a point.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd think after you'd heard the sounds of several of your co-workers of both genders after a staff meeting that involved a huge Chipotle order, the sound of a thin strip of paper separating from adhesive would no longer hold the horror it once did.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

I take Doublethink's point about how, if starting from scratch, it wouldn't be seen as such a problem. But the current situation has certain activities seen as more personal than others (ones involving bodily functions and nudity or part nudity). So mixed changing areas in shops, sports halls and swimming pools would be similar to mixed loo areas. Somehow, mixed sex individual cubicles, with a door leading straight out into a well-populated area, seem more safe than communal areas behind a general entrance for all of these activities.

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gramps49:
One shaving while the other is putting on makeup.

I wonder which does what? [Confused]

[Miss Amanda will get her wrap.]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's something unusually prudish about this thread, that perhaps needs a little Canadian informality, I suspect a large number of my American friends might have me broaden this to those who live in the great open spaces in the western part of the continent.

A couple of things to keep us grounded (I didn't realize what a Big Deal this is for some of you). First, 58% of people in India just try to find a patch of ground somewhere, and I suppose try to avoid eye contact.

Second, I wondered how many of you have ever used a two-holer? or gone in the woods? (the first thing to consider is location BTW)

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I trekked the wilderness with nary a loo in sight. It is different within civilisation. In an urban environment, I do not care to share with anyone, though do as a necessity.

Every culture has those things in plain view which they do not see, necessity often rules this.
Yes, the west can be a bit precious because it can be. Pointing this out is of interest, but will change behaviour and discomfort not a whit.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I don't see the need for sex segregated restrooms at all. Especially in small places that have single user bathrooms... why not just have two for either sex instead of one for each alone?

I can see it might be more problimatical with larger rooms with more accomidations, but as doubtingthomas said, if everything is inside a stall there shouldn't be any problem.

Nor me. I have worked in two schools in which the staff loos have been unisex. So long as the men are reminded to sit down I'm fine with it!
Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I'm not sure whether this is a tangent or not.

I can see that being a transgender person, is a tragic situation for a person to find themselves in. Which door you go into when you need to go is only one, and not the most difficult, of the problems you have to face.

However, I am in my sixties and as far as I know, I've only met one transgender person and two transvestites - who I know aren't transgender anyway. If it hasn't been pertinent to you, it doesn't rattle your cage. There are other social issues that you will regard as higher priority.

That though isn't my question.

I've picked up elsewhere, and it's clear from some comments on this thread, that there are people who think that as an issue of principle, of social dogma, we ought all, whether male or female, be required to use the same loos, washing and changing facilities. We all do in our own homes, but the general practice in the public sphere has, all my life, been to have separate ones.

I can see that people building hotels, pubs, public buildings etc might want to argue this so as to save money. I can also see that they might be grateful to be able to dredge up arguements that sound high minded to conceal their grubby motive.

However, I haven't really encountered this debate. So I can't actually see what the high minded, issues of principle, social dogma etc reasons are. It clearly isn't just the possible needs of the very small number of transgender people. Can somebody tell me please?

--------------------

LucyP
Shipmate
# 10476

- Posted      Profile for LucyP     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
First, 58% of people in India just try to find a patch of ground somewhere, and I suppose try to avoid eye contact.

I couldn't access your link (slow internet connection today) but my understanding (from charities who supply toilets!) is that for people without toilets in India, the experience is very different for men compared to women.

I have heard that it is far more common to see a man squatting in public than a woman -women are expected (as far as possible) to only come out after dark to meet their needs.

One charity magazine printed a story of a teenage girl's delight in the new enclosed toilet in her area, as she was fed up with risking harrassment by men every time she needed to answer a call of nature.

Another charity (run entirely by well-off locals) went to women in a slum, and asked them specifically what would improve their quality of life. A toilet block was high on the list. It turned out to be very easy to fund, as the government had already allocated money for it, but the money had been "misplaced" by disinterested officials. The charity's tactic was to point out to the officials how much respect and gratitude they would receive for doing their public duty, and to ensure that once the amenities were built, the beneficent officials involved got to cut the ribbon and be photographed for the local papers on opening day!

Posts: 235 | From: my sanctuary | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LucyP:
Once the amenities were built, the beneficent officials involved got to cut the ribbon and be photographed for the local papers on opening day!

Doing what? [Eek!]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemr:
I don't see the need for sex segregated restrooms at all. Especially in small places that have single user bathrooms... why not just have two for either sex instead of one for each alone?

I can see it might be more problimatical with larger rooms with more accomidations, but as doubtingthomas said, if everything is inside a stall there shouldn't be any problem.

Nor me. I have worked in two schools in which the staff loos have been unisex. So long as the men are reminded to sit down I'm fine with it!
Male teachers in some schools hardly have time to sit down - indeed to go to the loo in the first place.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

At my last place of work, the unisex loo was more popular simply because it was on the ground floor, therefore took much less effort to get there.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Various:

--I wouldn't feel safe in a multi-stall unisex bathroom. People do get assaulted in restrooms--and they're already half-dressed, anyway, at least the women.

--I worked at a small company that had one unisex one-stall bathroom. There were maybe 10-12 men and 2 women. Besides the aiming problem mentioned upthread, how shall I put this...different hormones have different smells. And one kind can have a very bad scent to people who have another kind--especially if one group is in the majority.

--There should be a way to provide facilities for transgendered folks, but I don't think group toilets for all is the answer. Americans, at least, tend to like privacy in the "throne room". If that's taken away to accommodate trans folks, non-trans will feel resentful--and that won't help acceptance of trans people.

They could use the unisex one-stallers for disabled folks--but that would implicitly label them as disabled. Maybe just some extra one-stallers, with both male and female symbols on the door to show unisex status??

--This may not be the place to discuss this (if there is one!, but how do guys cope with the usual "everyone front and center" design of men's restrooms? Seems like an opportunity for all sorts of tension and discomfort.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What bothers me a bit about this discussion is that there's not (to my knowledge) anyone trans involved. Now that may be an inevitable consquence of the overwhelming majority of shipmates being cis, but I'm generally a bit unhappy whenever this kind of conversation becomes "what do we do with THEM?" where the group discussed isn't even in the discussion. This happens with all minority and marginalised groups to some extent, but it seems clear to me that the first priority is finding out from transpeople what they themselves think the solution should be, and working from there. Because the fact is that as a ciswoman, I might have an opinion on this (I don't particularly feel strongly either way) but as it doesn't have the same impact on my life as it would on a transperson's life, my opinion shouldn't be given the same weight.
Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
What bothers me a bit about this discussion is that there's not (to my knowledge) anyone trans involved. Now that may be an inevitable consquence of the overwhelming majority of shipmates being cis, but I'm generally a bit unhappy whenever this kind of conversation becomes "what do we do with THEM?" where the group discussed isn't even in the discussion. This happens with all minority and marginalised groups to some extent, but it seems clear to me that the first priority is finding out from transpeople what they themselves think the solution should be, and working from there. Because the fact is that as a ciswoman, I might have an opinion on this (I don't particularly feel strongly either way) but as it doesn't have the same impact on my life as it would on a transperson's life, my opinion shouldn't be given the same weight.

True. But it's good that the discussion is being had by people who presumably have no real interest in it. Many of us are informed by what our trans friends have to say, and by paying attention to their experiences. Not the same as being trans yourself, but it's the best we can do.

Actually, I came here today to post this link:
Gender-neutral bathrooms become law in Philly

[ 10. May 2013, 20:10: Message edited by: churchgeek ]

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
--This may not be the place to discuss this (if there is one!, but how do guys cope with the usual "everyone front and center" design of men's restrooms? Seems like an opportunity for all sorts of tension and discomfort.

For people who may feel uneasy about using a urinal for whatever reason, they can use one of the cubicles.

This applies to me every now and then, because of the awkwardness of dealing with cycling shorts.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Eyes front, no talking! And hence no tension or discomfort.

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
A related topic would be the question of a parent taking his/or her child into a restroom that matches the gender of the parent but not of the child.

I often use the urinal with a toddler of either sex on my hip. Sure - if there's a family facility I'll probably use that, but there often isn't. IMO, the same rule applies to toilet facilities as to changing rooms. Once a child gets to be about 6 or 7, he or she should use the facilities appropriate to his or her sex. Younger than that, and they go in with whichever parent or other carer happens to be there.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
This may not be the place to discuss this (if there is one!, but how do guys cope with the usual "everyone front and center" design of men's restrooms? Seems like an opportunity for all sorts of tension and discomfort.

Take the quiz to see if you're an, erm, whiz on this topic.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

quote:

Some of them
don't.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

I've read the comments and followed the links, but none of them have shed any real light on the question I asked two days ago. I accept that it's a bit of a tangent, but can any of you out there help?

--------------------

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This may not be the place to discuss this (if there is one!, but how do guys cope with the usual "everyone front and center" design of men's restrooms? Seems like an opportunity for all sorts of tension and discomfort.

As long as I can recall, I've had what my doctor calls "bashful bladder" - I can't urinate at normal urinals if someone else is in the room, or provide a specimen on demand. So I use a stall when necessary. Strange, because I went to a boys school and had no problems showering after a game of rugby, changing after swimming and so forth.

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pommie Mick
Shipmate
# 12794

- Posted      Profile for Pommie Mick     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So long as the men are reminded to sit down I'm fine with it!

WTF?
Posts: 185 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pommie Mick:
quote:
So long as the men are reminded to sit down I'm fine with it!

WTF?
Have you cleaned round a loo (and the surrounding floor) after it's been used by men standing up?

Here is a good explanation as to why the pee doesn't always end up where it should.

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since being with my partner of 12 years I've come around to peeing sitting down . Don't give it a second thought now . You could say it helps keep the peace where toilet-seat 'up/down' war is concerned .
At work I have to do it standing due to lack of proper facilities. Seem to have learnt to switch between the two without developing a split personality or such like.

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rolyn:
Since being with my partner of 12 years I've come around to peeing sitting down . Don't give it a second thought now . You could say it helps keep the peace where toilet-seat 'up/down' war is concerned .

Traitor! [Biased]
Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016