homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The head, the heart and the gut

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: The head, the heart and the gut
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Folks

I was having a conversation with someone about 'the sinner's prayer' recently, and started to think afresh about "welcoming Jesus into my heart" (TM).

I REALLY HOPE TO AVOID A THREAD ABOUT THE THEOLOGY OF THIS PRAYER! [Big Grin]

Instead, could we talk about the last word in the phrase, what it means to us now, and what it might have implied in colloquial speech to folks in early NT times? And while we're at it, perhaps we could talk about the 'head' and the 'gut' (or, as I think it says somewhere in a passage in the bible I read not so long ago, 'bowels' as in 'moved in my'. Can you suggest the verse?).

As a first guess, perhaps we're talking about colloquial shorthand for emotion, motivation and intention, love, courage, analytical thought, something raw and unprocessed...I don't know. What do you think? What did they think? Where does 'spirit' (mine, and The Holy) fit into this? Where is my spiritual battle with fear and despair (see Christian Aid thread) taking place, speaking colloquially rather than anatomically...

MiM

--------------------
"We are punished by our sins, not for them" - Elbert Hubbard
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mark_in_manchester:
Instead, could we talk about the last word in the phrase [into my heart], what it means to us now, and what it might have implied in colloquial speech to folks in early NT times?

Well for us now, I guess it's being used roughly interchangeably with life, spirit, soul etc. as you suggest in your post. Unpacking the phrase a bit, I'd say it means (or should mean...) putting God first; which in turn means always doing what I think he would have me do, always trying to live within his will. It's a very odd phrase though, isn't it: 'welcoming Jesus into my heart'? Not a phrase used in many other contexts (the 'into my heart' bit).

As for its use in NT times, I don't think it was used in anything much like the 'sinner's prayer' way, was it? The equivalent for Jesus himself was simply 'Follow me', right? And for the NT writers, they often wrote about 'living according to the Spirit', 'putting to death the sinful nature' and similar.

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

- Posted      Profile for mark_in_manchester   Email mark_in_manchester   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Kevin

I'm partly interested in this because I've come to sense (you'll see why I use that word in a mo) that before I "know" something, I "feel" it; even in my (scientific) work, I "feel" something (good, iffy, a bit smelly, very smelly) about what I'm doing / thinking, and it's this sense that drives me to move confidently forward with rational analysis / hesitate / re-try / give up. In a way it preceeds and directs thought - it's not consciously rational. And I'm thinking about connections to ideas like 'spirit', because I can't use charismatic language in a way that feels truthful to myself - I want to understand it in what feel like real, truthful terms, to me.

I'm asking myself whether I can make the vaguest category-level connection between 'God speaking in my *heart*' and the odd feeling I get before I've even had time to ferret out a missing factor of pi, or to find the precise root of obfuscation in a memo - because at that moment those functions are not yet happening in my *head*.

(ETA: and since I'm trying the very unfamiliar and unscientific stunt of talking about emotions, I need some reassurance about the use of allegorical body parts to describe experiences to other people using language which will not be fatally compromised by a lack of shared meaning.)

[ 13. May 2013, 10:56: Message edited by: mark_in_manchester ]

--------------------
(so good, I wanted to see it after my posts and not only after those of shipmate JBohn from whom I stole it)

hatless

Shipmate
# 3365

- Posted      Profile for hatless   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Right brain / left brain?

--------------------
My crazy theology in novel form

Posts: 4531 | From: Stinkers | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard that a couple of millennia ago, the heart was regarded as the seat of the intellect, not of the emotions, but I can't quote you a text on that.

These days, I think "heart" is too much associated with drippy romanticism to be of any use in Christian discourse. Jesus is not my boyfriend.

[Cross-posted with everybody except South Coast Kevin.]

[ 13. May 2013, 10:56: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adeodatus:
These days, I think "heart" is too much associated with drippy romanticism to be of any use in Christian discourse. Jesus is not my boyfriend.

Agreed that the heart is too often associated with drippy romanticism.

But the Church will be the Bride of Christ, so some degree of such is appropriate.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ad Orientem
Shipmate
# 17574

- Posted      Profile for Ad Orientem     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if "heart" could be something more akin to what we refer nowadays as "subconscious"? Has anyone here ever read "The inner game of tennis"? In it the "mind", self 1, is the controlling part, the part that likes to rationalise and judge things. "Heart", self 2, is the instinctive part, the part that already knows what to do.

As with all such things, balance is the key.

Posts: 2606 | From: Finland | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Gextvedde
Shipmate
# 11084

- Posted      Profile for Gextvedde   Email Gextvedde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Posted by Adeodatus

quote:
Jesus is not my boyfriend
Good because he told me he's mine and I don't think the's the unfaithful sort.

--------------------
"We must learn to see that our temperament is a gift of God, a talent with which we must trade until he comes" Thomas Merton

Posts: 293 | From: The Twilight Zone, near the M25 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My instinct led me to think that in this context "heart" meant "core", the centre of being - and a quick search of the etymology of "core" confirmed that that was of the same root as many words meaning "heart". Which would suggest that the idea of a centre like the core of the Earth, or of an apple, without which the whole could not exist, could be contained within the word heart as well.
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Thanks Penny, that's helpful.

So in these early stages of my nascent journey out of my head (so to speak)...I might think of 'heart' as 'core' (or couer [Smile] ) - that from which much else grows, thereby being identifiable as core and not something out-on-a-limb.

Perhaps that means my remedial noodling with emotion (I'm in the makrame basketwork class as far as understanding emotion goes) and for that matter 'spirit' had better be located in the 'gut' - along with gut-level knowledge / instinct / the subconscious (thanks AdOrientem) ?

Are emotions identified with the subconscious in therapeutic thought - I guess they might be visible indicators of whatever the subconscious is doing?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've heard that a couple of millennia ago, the heart was regarded as the seat of the intellect,

One hears this, but simple observation should be sufficient to prevent such stupidity.
"Fascinating, every major blow to the head seems to damage the heart as well."

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
dv
Shipmate
# 15714

- Posted      Profile for dv     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In much Eastern thought heart and mind are absolutely interchangeable (e.g. in Pali/Sanskrit same word "citta" means both heart and mind).
Posts: 70 | From: Lancs UK | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Raptor Eye
Shipmate
# 16649

- Posted      Profile for Raptor Eye     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been reading John Keats on the 'Vale of Soul-making', and trying to get my head around it.

He distinguishes between the intelligence of the human heart, which he calls the 'seat of the human passions', and the mind. The world is suited, he says, for the 'proper action of Mind and Heart on each other for the purpose of forming the Soul or Intelligence destined to possess the sense of Identity.'

The heart according to Keats is 'the mind's bible, the mind's experience, the teat from which the mind sucks its identity'.
Circumstances of the world are touchstones and provings of the heart, fortifiers of the nature, which when altered becomes the Soul, which was previously an intelligence without identity.

I'm not sure whether this is helpful, but thought I'd throw it in.

--------------------
Be still, and know that I am God! Psalm 46.10

Posts: 4359 | From: The United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've heard that a couple of millennia ago, the heart was regarded as the seat of the intellect, not of the emotions, but I can't quote you a text on that.

You don't have to go much farther than a Bible dictionary such as IVP New Bible Dictionary to confirm what you heard. Guts were considered the 'seat of the emotion' in those days.

Think of heart wood- the core at the centre of a tree.

--------------------
Some days you are the fly.
On other days you are the windscreen.

HughWillRidmee
Shipmate
# 15614

- Posted      Profile for HughWillRidmee   Email HughWillRidmee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ad Orientem:
I wonder if "heart" could be something more akin to what we refer nowadays as "subconscious"?

If you want to gain some understanding of the experimental evidence relating to the relationship between the conscious and the unconscious I suggest you read the easily digested Incognito by David Eagleman – he’s a “neuroscientist at Baylor College of Medicine” etc.

ISBN 978 1 84767 940 6

--------------------
The danger to society is not merely that it should believe wrong things.. but that it should become credulous, and lose the habit of testing things and inquiring into them...
W. K. Clifford, "The Ethics of Belief" (1877)

Posts: 894 | From: Middle England | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Midge:
Guts were considered the 'seat of the emotion' in those days.

That explains Cromwell's choice of words when he said
quote:
I beseech you in the bowels of Christ, think it possible ye may be mistaken.
Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

- Posted      Profile for The Midge   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Moo:
quote:
Guts were considered the 'seat of the emotion' in those days.

That explains Cromwell's choice of words when he said
quote:
I beseech you in the bowels of Christ, think it possible ye may be mistaken.
Moo

[Smile]

--------------------

Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I suppose the old interpretations were based on where we physically feel things. So some feelings seem to be definitely located in the chest, and others lower down in the stomach and intestinal area.

I'm not sure what I feel in the head - amusement?

Patdys
Iron Wannabe
RooK-Annoyer
# 9397

- Posted      Profile for Patdys     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In terms of the sinners prayer, I suspect heart is used to say belief in Christ is not enough. It the yes to the offer of relationship that is important.

For me, my entire theology is based around love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, soul and strength. And your neighbour as yourself. It is a beautifully holistic command recognising the elements of physical, emotional and spiritual self and giving it your all. It reassures me that you can be rational and intelligent and Christian, or emotional or physical or any combination... And the only strength I need is what I have at any given time. And at times when I am somewhat disconnected in many areas, that feels me with hope.

--------------------
Marathon run. Next Dream. Australian this time.

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

orgasm? elation? euphoria? excitement? maybe

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Yangtze
Shipmate
# 4965

- Posted      Profile for Yangtze   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I was having a conversation with someone about 'the sinner's prayer' recently <snip>

Could you help those of us who have no idea what 'the sinner's prayer' is by posting it?

(Yes I know google is my friend but on a thread about it having it posted would probably be a good idea, no.)

--------------------
Arthur & Henry Ethical Shirts for Men
organic cotton, fair trade cotton, linen

Sometimes I wonder What's for Afters?

Posts: 2022 | From: the smallest town in England | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mark_in_manchester

not waving, but...
# 15978

Sorry, Yangtze

I'm thinking of an old shibboleth which people used to hit me with as a young person...'yes, but have you asked Jesus into your heart'?

aka 'Are you saved?'

As to the prayer istelf, in whatever form it normally involves some confession of one's fallen state (see current Fallen Human thread - I really like Spufford's HPtFTU) followed by an invitation to Jesus to Live In One's Heart.

I've found it fruitful to throw some mental resource at well-worn phrases which never had much 'punch' with me, and to see what might fall out. I'm also interested in language to describe the non-rational, since I have a current need to share information about emotional realities, and sod-all experience of doing so.

--------------------

Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm thinking of an old shibboleth which people used to hit me with as a young person...'yes, but have you asked Jesus into your heart'?

To which, the correct response is always 'Not only my heart but my head also!' and see what they make of that.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

quote:
Originally posted by Boogie:
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:

orgasm? elation? euphoria? excitement? maybe
Ah, seriously iffy stuff, all.
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

You don't have to go much farther than a Bible dictionary such as IVP New Bible Dictionary to confirm what you heard. Guts were considered the 'seat of the emotion' in those days.

Well yes, but what evidence would, say, the IVP dictionary cite? What non-Biblical texts? Or is this just something that's been 'widely accepted' for such a long time that nobody has bothered to check whether it's true or not?

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Midge
Shipmate
# 2398

quote:
quote:
quote:

Well yes, but what evidence would, say, the IVP dictionary cite? What non-Biblical texts? Or is this just something that's been 'widely accepted' for such a long time that nobody has bothered to check whether it's true or not?
I dunno. I'm not a scholar in ancient languages. There comes a point when doubting sources comes a bit unprofitable for a lay person. They usualy have further reading references in the articles. I CBA to looke them all up.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016