homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Ordaining at St Paul's today, Saturday

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Ordaining at St Paul's today, Saturday
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many of us, thousands, have been this afternoon to St Paul's Cathedral, where many, 30, were ordained, both men and women. It lasted for over two hours, and we also got communion.
We had good hymns and good prayers and good readings from the Bible.
It's quite a noisy music, and a big cathedral, quite old with interesting things where people who died are remembered and stuck there.
Any others of you there today? Maybe others go there at other times...

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was there, seeing a old friend made deacon.
Enjoyable hymns, somewhat less in the way of worship songs than in previous years. First reading was taken by the Bishop of Fulham's PA (WTF?), the second by one of the ordinands. They weren't the lectionary texts for the day.

My friends didn't think much of Londin's sermon--I'm quite used to his ordination sermons by now, but they weren't and thought it was more like a CEO reporting to a board of directors with the press present. He said 'Beloved' six times.
Incidentally, daisymay, your new curate is a very nice chap.

Of the 30 deacons beginning their curacies today, 22 were male and 8 female. Three were going to HTB and two to St Margaret Lothbury (all men).

[ 29. June 2013, 20:20: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to be a trend in the C of E to treat the Deacons' ordination as the 'real thing', and the 'priesting' [sic] as the top-up. When I said to a deacon in this diocese recently something about looking forward to her ordination, I was corrected.

Do people really think that putting on a dog-collar for the first time (but not being authorised to do much more than they could as a lay person) is more significant than being ordained to the priesthood? And since when was 'priest' a verb?

--------------------
Brian: You're all individuals!
Crowd: We're all individuals!
Lone voice: I'm not!

Posts: 12927 | From: The Pool of Life | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In places where the ordination of deacons is done by the diocesan bishop in the cathedral with great pomp and ceremony, and the ordination of priests is done by area bishops in parish churches, the ordination of deacons becomes the big deal. How many other dioceses besides London do this? And do they all do it for the same reason as Londin does?

I first heard 'priest' used as a verb 11 or 12 years ago.

--------------------

Peter Owen
Shipmate
# 134

- Posted      Profile for Peter Owen   Author's homepage   Email Peter Owen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Angloid:
And since when was 'priest' a verb?

The earliest example of this usage in the OED is dated 1504.

--------------------
Πετρος

Posts: 266 | From: overlooking Liverpool Bay | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
And do they all do it for the same reason as Londin does?

If you mean the DH reason then no, but Toronto has a similar "area federalist" setup and so ordinations play out in much the same way, with the spring ordination of deacons always occurring on the first Sunday in May at the cathedral or (when numbers necessitate) at St Paul's, Bloor Street. Priestly ordinations are then carried out at various intervals by the area bishops, in the parish where the curates serve. (Sometimes two parishes in a deanery will double up and one building will host two congregations).

Pace Angloid, I tend to be put off when people count their anniversaries "of ordination" (without qualification) when they mean priestly ordination, which surely is grounded in that first, "gateway" ordination.

[ 29. June 2013, 21:41: Message edited by: LQ ]

Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In places where the ordination of deacons is done by the diocesan bishop in the cathedral with great pomp and ceremony, and the ordination of priests is done by area bishops in parish churches, the ordination of deacons becomes the big deal. How many other dioceses besides London do this? And do they all do it for the same reason as Londin does?

At Southwark Petertide ordinations, the Deacons are ordained in the cathedral by the diocesan bishop and the priests by their area bishop in a parish church. At the Michaelmas ordinations, it's the other way around.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
Many of us, thousands, have been this afternoon to St Paul's Cathedral ........

It's quite a noisy music, and a big cathedral, quite old with interesting things where people who died are remembered and stuck there.

That has to be the understatement of the century!
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

My friends didn't think much of Londin's sermon--I'm quite used to his ordination sermons by now, but they weren't and thought it was more like a CEO reporting to a board of directors with the press present. He said 'Beloved' six times.

Only time I've been to a London ordination, and was a bridesmaid, I turned to my neighbour and said "next time, it's going to be 'and also with you, darling!'

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Evensong
Shipmate
# 14696

- Posted      Profile for Evensong   Author's homepage   Email Evensong   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There seems to be a trend in the C of E to treat the Deacons' ordination as the 'real thing', and the 'priesting' [sic] as the top-up. When I said to a deacon in this diocese recently something about looking forward to her ordination, I was corrected.

She has been trained well then.

quote:

Do people really think that putting on a dog-collar for the first time (but not being authorised to do much more than they could as a lay person) is more significant than being ordained to the priesthood?

Hell yes.

It's interesting that deacons are ordained in the Cathedral and priests regionally.

Is the C of E moving from a transitional diaconate to the old model of a permanent dioaconate expressing itself as a separate ministry between the world and the church?

--------------------
a theological scrapbook

Posts: 9481 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

- Posted      Profile for Angloid     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

quote:

Do people really think that putting on a dog-collar for the first time (but not being authorised to do much more than they could as a lay person) is more significant than being ordained to the priesthood?

Hell yes.

Why?

--------------------

Stephen
Shipmate
# 40

- Posted      Profile for Stephen   Email Stephen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do know that some priests look to their ordination to the diaconate when they celebrate x-many years of ordination, their view being that a priest is still a deacon and the diaconate is a major order.......

--------------------
Best Wishes
Stephen

'Be still,then, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the nations and I will be exalted in the earth' Ps46 v10

Posts: 3954 | From: Alto C Clef Country | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A colleague of mine went to be sort of 'best man' to a deacon who'd formerly been our church warden. he reckoned it was very impressive (not least compared to the ordination we went to this morning when our deacon was 'priested'.

As for diaconal ordination not being the real deal, surely wearing a collar, starting in a parish - people treat you differently because you are no ,longer a lay person (well, technically we are all loaos but you know what i mean.)

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Evensong:

quote:

Hell yes.

Why?
A friend of mine saw his Diaconal ordination as the big deal as it signified (to him) the start of a completely new way of life. He had come to the end of a rigorous college course, moved into a new home, started a new job, wore a funny shirt and had "The Rev'd" in front of his name.

His priestly ordination he saw as an extension to that and didn't make too much of it, instead opting to have a big celebration on the occasion of his first Mass as he saw that as the next big step.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Yes, I see all that. It just rather seems to me to reflect distorted priorities: a 'big do' when someone is ordained deacon compared to the often hole-in-the-corner way the he or she might have been baptised. Which is much the more important vocation,

And to dress up in clerical clothes and be called 'reverend' doesn't say much about servant ministry to my mind, which is what the diaconate is. Especially as in practice most people will treat them as if they were already priests and forget about the 'servant' aspect.

Not that there should be a lot of palava about ordination to the priesthood either. Compared to baptism that too is a minor calling. But it is a distinctive ministry and shouldn't to my mind be treated as secondary or as an incidental top-up of the diaconate.

But I suppose that is all matter for Purgatory really.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Sorry to double post but my quibble really arose from the common use of the term 'ordination' (without qualification) to refer to the deaconing [sic] and not to use it for the 'priesting'. In the BCP (of which I am not a big fan, but it does represent Anglican tradition) though 'ordination' is used of all three orders, the preferred expression seems to be 'making' deacons, 'ordaining' priests and 'consecrating' bishops. Thus implying that the ordination is really to the priesthood.

--------------------

Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There seems to be a trend in the C of E to treat the Deacons' ordination as the 'real thing', and the 'priesting' [sic] as the top-up. ...

One reason is that when most clergy were ordained young and full time, ordination as a deacon visibly marked the move from being an ordinary person to being a paid, clerical, person. It was also the point at which a person moved from the third to the second estate and until about 12 years ago became disqualified from being an MP.

It makes more sense, whatever the theory, to think of the year people are deacons as more like a probationary period or an apprenticeship, particularly since clergy remain deacons even after they become priests or bishops.

There are quite a number of secular roles in which there are restrictions on what people can do in the first few years after qualification, admission or whatever.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We definitely treat priestly ordination as a bigger deal than diaconal for those being ordained as transitional deacons. I think the idea is that your last (expected) ordination should be the bigger celebration. So, an ordination of permanent deacons would be a bigger deal than ordination of transitional deacons. We don't (officially [Biased] ) have transitional priests, so that ordination becomes the main event.

For us religious, profession of perpetual vows and priestly ordination are about the same level of celebration. We do both of those on Saturdays at our basilica and invite large crowds. Diaconate ordination (which is the day after Final Vows) is done in the seminary with community members, family and friends.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

Are all your professed members ordained, Hart?

--------------------

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, for brothers, Final Vows would be the one big celebration.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

Back in the day, when I was ordained, deacons and priests were ordained by the bishop and the suffragan (and any other visiting/assisting bishops) at one big service at the cathedral after a shared retreat. This was, I think, eventually split into two services, though both were at the cathedral and both involved the bishop.

I've always associated the practice of ordaining priests separately by area with the Diocese of London, where it is related to the DH issue. Doing it this way, of course, necessarily makes the ordination to the diaconate the big service because it's at St Paul's, the Bishop of London is presiding, and there is a metric fucktonne of pomp and grandiosity.

Question: I see that a woman has been ordained to a title parish in the Edmonton area. Who will ordain her to the priesthood?

[ 01. July 2013, 07:01: Message edited by: Amos ]

--------------------

Liturgylover
Shipmate
# 15711

- Posted      Profile for Liturgylover   Email Liturgylover   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Question: I see that a woman has been ordained to a title parish in the Edmonton area. Who will ordain her to the priesthood?

She will be ordained by another Bishop (probably one from outside London). There was a joint ordination service at Hampstead Parish Church some years ago when 4 women were ordained. I cannot remember the name of the Bishop.

Interestingly the Bishop of Edmonton was at the reception service at Whetstone for the delightful priest there (she used to be a singer) but I think she had already been ordained and was being confirmed as incumbent.

Posts: 452 | From: North London | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Liturgylover:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Amos:
[qb] Question: I see that a woman has been ordained to a title parish in the Edmonton area. Who will ordain her to the priesthood?

I'd've guessed that Willesden/Stepney/Kensington would have crossed into Edmonton rather than importing from elsewhere.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Sarum Sleuth
Shipmate
# 162

- Posted      Profile for Sarum Sleuth   Email Sarum Sleuth   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most of the female clergy I know who were ordained in the Edmonton Area had their orders conferred by retired bishops within the Diocese of London.

In Derby Diocese the deacons are all ordained at the cathedral, and the priests are ordained in two parish churches in the north and south of the diocese respectively.

SS

--------------------
The Parson's Handbook contains much excellent advice, which, if it were more generally followed, would bring some order and reasonableness into the amazing vagaries of Anglican Ritualism. Adrian Fortescue

Posts: 848 | From: England, 1549 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Bishop of London was at St Paul's being busy there on Saturday and he was very friendly. The other ones, in charge of churches, wore white hats as they also acted.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes daisymay, this would be the usual way of going about things. If multiple bishops are present (as tends to happen at such occasions), only the most senior wear's the full get-up with gold mitre, while the others wear a simple white one. A bishop is, in principle, the chief shepherd of his or her people, the focus of their unity in Christ and the symbol of the unbroken line that we believes links our Christian life to that first fellowship of the Apostles. To have multiple bishops present dilutes all this symbolism, hence the distinction in their vesture.

Of course, it might be objected that the proliferation of bishops (even not mentioning the 'flying' ones and, of course, those of other denominations) has rather diluted the symbolism already. Perhaps we might say that the bishops' robes are pointing towards a situation rather more perfect than the messy reality?

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Yes daisymay, this would be the usual way of going about things. If multiple bishops are present (as tends to happen at such occasions), only the most senior wear's the full get-up with gold mitre, while the others wear a simple white one.

I was at a multiple-bishop service last year. The diocesan (presiding at the Eucharist) wore a gold mitre, while all the others wore white. With the exception of one (who will remain nameless) who declared that he didn't have a white mitre. (So he wore a bright red one instead.)
Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What exactly *are* red mitres? Are they meant to be auriphrygiata or pretiosa? Or (as the Father-in-God above) in place of (and in seriously tangential relation to) a simplex? And why on earth would any bishop not have a mitra simplex? [wanders off in a huff]

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Posts: 307 | From: North London | Registered: May 2013  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
Yes daisymay, this would be the usual way of going about things. If multiple bishops are present (as tends to happen at such occasions), only the most senior wear's the full get-up with gold mitre, while the others wear a simple white one.

I was at a multiple-bishop service last year. The diocesan (presiding at the Eucharist) wore a gold mitre, while all the others wore white. With the exception of one (who will remain nameless) who declared that he didn't have a white mitre. (So he wore a bright red one instead.)
Oh, come on! Who was it? No shame in wearing a red mitre if it's your only one, or (according to mediaeval use--according to St P) your best one. I knew a bishop once who had a cunning little mitre-shaped box, with a hinge and a handle to carry his around in.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

I knew a bishop who used to keep his in a polythene bag. When he knew that a church would have vestments ready for him that's all he used to bring.

--------------------

Mr. Rob
Shipmate
# 5823

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Rob         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Vade Mecum:

What exactly *are* red mitres? Are they meant to be auriphrygiata or pretiosa? Or (as the Father-in-God above) in place of (and in seriously tangential relation to) a simplex? And why on earth would any bishop not have a mitra simplex? [wanders off in a huff]

I'm sure what you must mean refers to the recent trend of mitres made up as part of a liturgical colored Mass or cope vestment set. That would be a mitre of the same material and color in either white, green, red or violet. Sometimes one sees the multi-colored effect of a mitre made up applique to match colorful, festive vestments. To a greater or lesser extent, that is being done by both Anglicans and Roman Catholic bishops, and I have seen many photos of that newly developed custom.

Currently, Roman Catholic bishops tend to stick closer to the traditional precious-gold-simplex mitre fabrics, especially when they gather for some ceremonial activity in groups. Anglican bishops be less rigid about following such traditional mitre rules, which can be distressful to the artistic eye of the interested and keen rubricist.

Posts: 862 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Nope. Didn't get any of that.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
And why on earth would any bishop not have a mitra simplex?

Lots of would-be bishops have a mitra complex.

But I'm with Karl on this one.

--------------------

Angloid
Shipmate
# 159

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Rob:
Anglican bishops be less rigid about following such traditional mitre rules, which can be distressful to the artistic eye of the interested and keen rubricist.

I don't think you need to be a rubricist of any variety to find some episcopal headgear distressing or at least distracting. I hope the Archbishop of Canterbury seeks some style advice asap.

--------------------

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

- Posted      Profile for Vade Mecum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hope the Archbishop of Canterbury seeks some style advice asap.

Likewise. When you're in the same vestment bracket as Katherine Jefferts Schori, it's time to visit Tufton St...

--------------------
I have given them thy word; and the world hath hated them, because they are not of the world, even as I am not of the world.

Basilica
Shipmate
# 16965

- Posted      Profile for Basilica   Email Basilica   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Anglican bishops be less rigid about following such traditional mitre rules, which can be distressful to the artistic eye of the interested and keen rubricist.

I don't think you need to be a rubricist of any variety to find some episcopal headgear distressing or at least distracting. I hope the Archbishop of Canterbury seeks some style advice asap.
Black shirt, purple cassock, white rochet, red chimere and black tippet is a particularly hideous combination.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2013/mar/02/archbishop-canterbury-faith-women-ministry

Vade Mecum
Shipmate
# 17688

quote:
Originally posted by Basilica:
quote:
quote:

Black shirt, purple cassock, white rochet, red chimere and black tippet is a particularly hideous combination.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/belief/2013/mar/02/archbishop-canterbury-faith-women-ministry

Well, done right there a) shouldn't be a black shirt with a cassock, and if there is it certainly shouldn't show, and b) precious little of the cassock showing, provided the rochet be ample enough and long enough, which it seldom is.

--------------------

Amos

Shipmate
# 44

UP the airy mountain,
Down the rushy glen,
We daren't go a-hunting
For fear of little men;
Wee folk, good folk,
Trooping all together;
Red mitre, black shirt,
And white owl's feather!

--------------------

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

OK, getting back on subject ...

We were saying that the Deacons' ordination Is a big deal as it signifies a complete change of lifestyle, and this has got me thinking.

As I said upthread, here in Southwark the deacons are ordained by the diocesan bishop in the cathedral and the priests by an area bishop in a parish church at Petertide and the other way around at Michaelmas. Those ordained at Michaelmas in Southwark are usually NSMs, so ordination to the diaconate isn't going to be that much of a change. Most, if not all will have been active lay people before ordination so, apart from possibly moving to a new parish, their role changes very little. Ordination to the priesthood for NSMs really is the big deal, hence all the pomp and ceremony at the cathedral.

--------------------

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016