homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » All Hail the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain!

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: All Hail the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain!
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain in Guildford last night. Absolutely brilliant evening! I've seen them before but this was even better than the first time. Clever arrangements and a huge amount of laughs.

The highlights of the evening for me were:

Anarchy in the UK
I've heard them do this before, but it's still such a joy singing along.

Shaft
AMAZING! [Yipee]

Anyone else out there a fan of the Ukulele Orchestra?

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*raises hand*

I've only seen them once, at Greenbelt, but listen to them a lot on cd.

I think my favourite has to be 'Wuthering Heights', but to be honest it's all great.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've only seen them once, also at Greenbelt (presumably the same one as birdie - mid-2000s I think). I remember loving it all, but laughing out loud when I suddenly realised that they were playing Grace Jones' "Slave to the Rhythm". It was perfect sunny weather in the middle of a field listening.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They do a fantastic version of the "Dam Busters' March" - you can probably find it on Youtube.

(Mind you, it's pretty good on Carter's Steam Fair mechanical organ, too - complete with amusing "fudges" to get it past the notes which the organ hasn't got!)

[ 21. September 2013, 10:37: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I'm a fan too.
I love it when they all play a different song but they make wonderful music together somehow.

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're brilliant! Fantastic and funny.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes! Sesiwn Fawr Dolgellau c 2008. Lots of wonderful stuff on YouTube. 'Teenage Dirtbag', 'Anarchy in the UK', 'Life on Mars', 'Wuthering Heights'.... Blissful.
Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Japes

Shipmate
# 5358

- Posted      Profile for Japes   Email Japes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Fly me off the Handel" always makes me smile, and cheers me up when I need cheering up!

As does almost all of their music.

--------------------
Blog may or may not be of any interest.

Posts: 2013 | From: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you're near Guildford Oscar, you may enjoy this
They meet regularly, I think if you just turn up with a uke you can join in. Middle son sometimes goes along as one of the founders was his teacher at college doing an HNC in popular music.

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw them in NZ last year - very good, venue totally packed out despite there being a much more 'major' event on in town the same evening...

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Copying is the sincerest form of flattery - I've seen these guys a few times and they are very good. But that site is awful

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
kankucho
Shipmate
# 14318

- Posted      Profile for kankucho   Author's homepage   Email kankucho   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the benefit of the uninitiated - not to mention everyone else - there's a full length show on YouTube now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvf_uz9I5o

The treatment of You Don't Bring Me Flowers is a work of collective genius. [Smile]

--------------------
"We are a way for the cosmos to know itself" – Dr. Carl Sagan
Kankucho Bird Blues

Posts: 1262 | From: Kuon-ganjo, E17 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love them! Did they do 5 people on one uke when you saw them? That had my husband in hysterics, as did anarchy.

Also the stage presents.

I can't wait to see them again.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
I love them! Did they do 5 people on one uke when you saw them? That had my husband in hysterics, as did anarchy.

Yep!

But I was even more impressed by the encore, when it finished with 6 of them singing different songs at the same time. I lost track of which songs they were - there was "I will survive" and "Hotel California" among them.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oscar - that was "Fly me off the Handel," marvellous! I've seen them a couple of times, the venue was packed out each time.
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
A.Pilgrim
Shipmate
# 15044

- Posted      Profile for A.Pilgrim   Email A.Pilgrim   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes! Count me in as a fan. I've been to two of their concerts, and an evening of their music counts as one of the best 'feel-good' evenings I know. Their musicianship is absolutely top rate, their humour is a sheer joy, and the combination of the two is unique. I particularly like their determination to prove that every possible genre of music can be adapted for the ukulele. Just wonderful. [Big Grin] (Reminds self to look for their next UK concert tour dates...)

Angus

Posts: 434 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016