homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Who are you really? (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Who are you really?
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had my Ancestry DNA done for fun and was surprised to discover I was a bit Asian. When we adopted one of our children we were told she had one background only to find out later it was something else. Mr Image was not told until well into his adulthood that he was part Native American and his ancestors had changed their names to hide the fact. Anyone else on the ship surprised to find out who they really were?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to have that done. I come from a family who have moved around a lot, I would love to have some histoey...

Is it expensive?

Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Unfortunately my paternal grandmother traced my ancestry back to Oliver Cromwell...

She did this nearly 40 years ago.

We visited a large house in Leeds where the lord of the manor was a very distant relative: we did not meet him but we had a lovely tour. I was a teenager at the time - have a postcard of it somewhere.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Unfortunately my paternal grandmother traced my ancestry back to Oliver Cromwell...

She did this nearly 40 years ago.

We visited a large house in Leeds where the lord of the manor was a very distant relative: we did not meet him but we had a lovely tour. I was a teenager at the time - have a postcard of it somewhere.

The trying to trace the family tree thing, reached a full stop for my family, at about 1820
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the paternal side I can go back to c1520.

There is a family bridechest that dates back to the reign of Henry VIII.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My great great great grandfather was George Loveless, leader of the Tolpuddle Martyrs, who was deported to Australia in 1834 for forming a trade union of farm labourers (he was technically deported for swearing a secret oath other than to the King as unions were not illegal at the time).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm fifty something and, although the possibility that one of my great-grandmothers (father's father's mother) might be from a family of baptised Jews was first raised when I was a teenager, it was instantly pooh-poohed by my parents. I was reminded of the theory, and began to take it seriously, only a few years ago. I have a sort-of cousin (her mother was my grandmother's cousin) whose father was quite into family history and she told me a couple of years ago that he suspected the same. A lot of things make sense now, but I guess I'll never know whether my parents lied to me, or were deceived themselves. Still, I'm pleased to have that connection.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
anoesis
Shipmate
# 14189

- Posted      Profile for anoesis   Email anoesis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Who am I, really? Well, I'm not just the product of my DNA. (which is likely pretty boring anyway - as I mentioned on another thread recently, my father-in-law investigated my family tree back to the early 1800s and it's all solidly English, with one Welshman right back at the early bit, around 1830). So probably no skeletons in that cupboard.

Leaving aside the physical, DNA-type component though, I discovered through my father-in-law's research that what I had thought was my family name was in fact a secondary identity adopted by my paternal great-grandfather in order to contract a second (bigamous) marriage, and my 'real' family name is something else entirely. That made for an interesting feeling at the time.

--------------------
The history of humanity give one little hope that strength left to its own devices won't be abused. Indeed, it gives one little ground to think that strength would continue to exist if it were not abused. -- Dafyd --

Posts: 993 | From: New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as I know, my ancestry is all from the British Isles. My parents were a Mullins and a Murphy; my grandmothers were an Armstrong and a Thomas. There's plenty of English there too. And of course I know that Mullins started as an Anglo-Norman name.

The only slightly dodgy bit (AFAIK!) in my ancestry is my father's maternal grandfather. He apparently deserted the family (wife and 7 children) at some point and his name wasn't mentioned again. I've looked up my grandmother in census records. US records have a space for parent's birth: in every census I've found, my grandmother reported a different birthplace for her father.

That side of the family was good at holding grudges; my father and his brother didn't speak for something like 40 years...

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
As far as I know, my ancestry is all from the British Isles.

looks at map of human evolution and diaspora... Umm, huh.. rechecks, scratches head...

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have 1024 ancestors in 10 generations, and it gets much bigger after that. A lot of us must be the products of relatives mating relatives.

For the part of my family that was in Hitler's Germany, we have a family tree showing us as German back to 1100 A.D. It is probably cooked.

We also have English people who went to Germany in the 1880s and 90s to mine coal and make steel in the Rhineland. Some of these English were Dutch before that, and came to England with William of Orange, and then went back apparently to locations 100 km from where ancestors started. A few others apparently 'visited' England as Vikings.

Some of the English relatives were rejected by their families as being the younger siblings and emigrated, and were burnt out of their farms in New York state by the American terrorists when we lost our 13 colonies to the south. They settled in Ontario and progressively moved west as they proved themselves to be inept farmers. There they married people who talked like the characters did in the movie Fargo.

We consider ourselves beneficiaries of hybrid vigour, except for all of the insanity and genetic abnormalities, diseases and dementia.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Palimpsest
Shipmate
# 16772

- Posted      Profile for Palimpsest   Email Palimpsest   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Graven Image:
I had my Ancestry DNA done for fun and was surprised to discover I was a bit Asian. When we adopted one of our children we were told she had one background only to find out later it was something else. Mr Image was not told until well into his adulthood that he was part Native American and his ancestors had changed their names to hide the fact. Anyone else on the ship surprised to find out who they really were?

Doesn't Native American descent show up as "a little bit Asian" in the DNA analysis?

I did the National Geographic test and my father's family wandered out of Africa, through the mid-east and into Europe. No surprises there.

Posts: 2990 | From: Seattle WA. US | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, shows up as Native American. Interesting.
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm the product of a mixed marriage - male father and female mother [Eek!]

My dad was of Huguenot stock via Ipswich/Felixstowe; my mum's family was Scots via Liverpool and Devon.

A DNA test would be fun but I'm not sure that I'd really go for one, I hate needles!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Doesn't require needles. Just a cheek swab.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Taliesin
Shipmate
# 14017

- Posted      Profile for Taliesin   Email Taliesin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How much detail does it go into? I'd love to have a DNA test to confound my mother, she's terribly nationalistic and frankly a bit of a daily mail reader [Hot and Hormonal] so it would be fantastic to prove that her ancestors are fairly recent immigrants. Norman conquest at least, but Preferably recent European Romany gypsy. Her black hair and olive skin seems to suggest it.

I always believed I had Irish ancestry on my father's side (maiden name Kennedy) but it transpires my granddad was a bit of a nutter who picked a name at random (John Kennedy) when he moved to London. He cut off his family.

But, also interestingly, all four of my grandparents grew up in step families.

Posts: 2138 | From: South, UK | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure how accurate those Ancestory DNA tests are - they hit the press here earlier this year - Guardian story, but the Telegraph covered it too for those who are allergic to the Guardian. Which is a shame, because I'd like confirmation of just quite how Anglo-Indian one side of my family is, just from the way we look.

And if we're playing how far families go back, one side of my family is in Domesday - that's 1086.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:

If it was Harewood House then you're a very very distant relative of the Queen.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll always remember the first major family history discovery we made, which was that my great-grandfather was secretly Catholic.

Which was a bit of a surprise given that my great-grandmother was notoriously anti-Catholic. But given he had a (southern) Irish surname we really should've been able to work out what was likely.

I suppose a DNA swab could be interesting, but I'd actually be damned surprised if it didn't declare me to be a very Anglo-Celtic sort of chap. Not just from family history but from some of the observable genetic traits. Still, there could be pieces from further afield lurking in my inner organs. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:
We have 1024 ancestors in 10 generations, and it gets much bigger after that. A lot of us must be the products of relatives mating relatives.

It is pretty unlikely that we do. The calculation on which that is based pretty quickly outstrips the size of the world population as it is exponential, and population is not in exponential decline which is what is needed for it to be true. If one of your ancestors comes from a community that is relatively closed then it happens even quicker. There is therefore some degree of intermarriage between distant cousins in most of us.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For at least the last three hundred years my father's family has been good solid Worcestershire stock. Though before then there were hints of elsewhere in the bloodline - we believe a distant ancestor from Cheshire fought in the Civil War and settled in Worcester after the battle there. But that secret and distant shame aside, we're good solid salt-of-the-earth local folk.

My mother's family is far more mongrel. They came from the south, the east and even ~gasp~ Lancashire [Eek!] . There are even scurrilous whispers of Celtic blood in her line, though obviously from long, long ago. Nevertheless, it's clear that my father married beneath himself...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jonah the Whale

Ship's pet cetacean
# 1244

- Posted      Profile for Jonah the Whale   Email Jonah the Whale   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although all my grandparents were born in England some of my ancestors were from North Wales where it seems like everyone is called Jones. Tracing a family tree back through that mess is very difficult.
Posts: 2799 | From: Nether Regions | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother has traced her family tree on her mother's side and discovered she is descended from a fairly unexotic load of Leicestershire peasants.

Her father was Irish, and tracing the family tree is consequently almost impossible on account of the IRA having blown up the Public Records Office. [Tear]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Desert Daughter
Shipmate
# 13635

- Posted      Profile for Desert Daughter   Email Desert Daughter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have no idea what or who I am genetically, but I increasingly wonder whether I am myself as an individual , at all... it is not just about the phaenotype and family resemblence, but, more worryingly, about character traits. The way we function internally, the way we respond to our environment. The older I get, the more I resemble, in behaviour, character and temperament, my maternal grandfather. And my nephew, who is 13 now, develops exactly the same emotional and behavioural characteristics. Down to gestures, dress sense (or lack of it) and the way he thinks, argues, and engages with the world (or not).

As if granddad, me and my nephew shared the same brain. The extent to which we are not individuals, but merely carriers, and executors, of genes that determine things much more significant than the colour of our eyes or the shape of our nose is scary.

--------------------
"Prayer is the rejection of concepts." (Evagrius Ponticus)

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
Not sure how accurate those Ancestory DNA tests are - they hit the press here earlier this year - Guardian story, but the Telegraph covered it too for those who are allergic to the Guardian. Which is a shame, because I'd like confirmation of just quite how Anglo-Indian one side of my family is, just from the way we look.

And if we're playing how far families go back, one side of my family is in Domesday - that's 1086.

I hate the news. Just enough information to stir the pot, not enough to bring a meal to the table.
Key word in one of the articles was most. Most consumer tests are useless. So, if one is interested, how does one find a company with better results? IIRC, at least one is tied to a real scientific endeavour. But, given its low cost, I wonder how thorough they are.
Shame greed is muddying the waters. The dangerous companies are those offering DNA health screenings.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd love to have it done, how much does it cost?

My mother and I researched her side of the family tree some years ago, and as we had thought, we are pure Northamptonshire yokels on that side. I did start to trace my father's side but that was far more difficult as they lived in London and moved around a lot! But as far as I was able to discover, I am 15/16 English and (oh the shame!) one sixteenth Welsh.

[ 31. October 2013, 14:29: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"oh the shame!" ??? [Confused]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My surname is the name of the old lords of the Manor in my home city of Preston Lancashire (no comment). There is a village just outside Preston that the name comes from and a big house Both called Hothersall, so somewhere I am fom posh stock. My maternal grandfather is from Ireland somewhere near Dublin.
That is all I know.

--------------------
I have never done this trick in these trousers before.

Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
iamvalisme
Apprentice
# 13233

- Posted      Profile for iamvalisme   Author's homepage   Email iamvalisme   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My maiden name was Hoyes. We have no real ideas about where it is from, some rumours say Viking. I would love to really know if my dad has viking ancestry, but we can't afford a private DNA test, and as this would be done through his Y chromosome, and he is the last male member of the family, and aged over 80, I think it is unlikely we will ever know. [Frown]

--------------------
Val

Posts: 5 | From: liverpool | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Surname is Gower and my dad's family come from the Gower area of Glamorgan, some still live there

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Galilit
Shipmate
# 16470

- Posted      Profile for Galilit   Email Galilit   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found out that my paternal great Grandmother was Jewish in 2009.
My father's first cousin told me. I'd first met her 5 years before and thought "Why didn't Mum tell me she had a Jewish friend?". In 2009 I asked her straight out and she said "Didn't you know your Granddad's mother was Jewish?"
It was a mixed marriage so she would almost certainly have been declared dead by her family. It was never mentioned by my Granddad though he had a few Yiddish words in his swearing vocab. I had asked Dad (dead by the time of this revelation) about these words and he said he didn't know.
Anyway since it's all on Dad's side it is of only anthropological interest. Though according to the Nazi definition I'd still be in trouble.
Funny I ended up here though.

--------------------
She who does Her Son's will in all things can rely on me to do Hers.

Posts: 624 | From: a Galilee far, far away | Registered: Jun 2011  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I grew up believing that, somewhere in the mists of time, one of my ancestors had been a Rabbi. On the strength of this belief, my grandfather taught himself Hebrew, using an English/Hebrew prayer book! However, my cousin has done a lot of work on the family tree, and there's no sign of any Jewishness, which is something of a disappointment. He's managed to trace back as far as 1795, and found a lot of mill workers and servants - though the mill workers tended to be engineers looking after the machinery, and the servants tended to be housekeepers.
One thing he had missed, though, because his father never spoke about it, was the fact that his father was adopted, and the surname he used was not, in fact, his own. That was information that had come down my side of the family, and sent my cousin off on a whole new direction of research!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had two useful names to work with - Hayward and Cable, which I flound through checking the family Bible. (Hayward - OK, but my mother's maiden name was Evans) One of my ancestors was one Aquilla Cable, and is the only one of that name on Free BMD. He wass from Frome, and the street he was brought up in is now a conservation area. His father was a marine in Nelson's navy, but not at Trafalgar, and an early Wesleyan. Aquilla was a cordwainer - a leather shoemaker - and I've often wondered if there is a "craft gene" as I enjoy crafts. I'vge managed to go back to the 1700's on both sides.
The Haywards came from Much Marcle, so I'm not really as Welsh as I had imagined!.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oddly our DNA suggests possible migration from northern France to Wales in prehistory: no wonder I feel at home in France today!

Our family name places us in the now almost vanished Welsh-speaking areas of Shropshire. Research has confirmed the truth of a surprising number of the stories of family history that have washed around in the family for generations. We can now trace an ancestry that includes Fabian Stedman, the father of English bellringing - wish I had known that when I was dealing with ringers as a parish priest!

We have artefacts that link us to a fair bit of that ancestry: a series of samplers embroidered by female children from 1900 back to the mid 18th century, a fine portrait in oils of my great great great grandfather's third father-in-law, the stuffed head of an elk shot in Canada by my grandfather to feed his family c1880, the oak cupboard used to store the gin in the family pub - great great grandfather remembered it standing in the bar in 1800......

[ 31. October 2013, 19:41: Message edited by: Oferyas ]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother's parents came from Bermondsey. When I told an English friend that it seemed to be a rather casual area, he spewed his coffee. After he was able to speak, he agreed.

My paternal side is French-Canadian and Métis on my grandmother's side. Probably some Scots fur-traders mixed in there, too. They had a thing for Indian girls.

There is a roadblock on Grandfather's side. He and his mother played rather fast and loose with their surname. Neither was as good as they could have been, says I, euphemistically.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Here is a link comparing four of the relatively affordable, easily available tests.

And here is a simple, clear explanation of the usefulness of DNA Ancestor tracing.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My cunning plan for my family tree was to start off by tracing all 64 of my 4x gt grandparents and then focus on the most promising line in terms of fame and fortune.

I have traced 58 so far, and there's no sign of fame or fortune yet, though one illegitimate child is believed to have been fathered by the third son of the local laird which, if true, would take me back to medieval royalty.

All, bar two, are east-coast Scottish, from Helmsdale in the north to Duns in the south. The other two were west coast Scottish. We have one surname which was that of Marie de Guise's page boys, so I might have distant French ancestry.

DNA wise, I think one part of my family has a longevity gene, and I've wondered if any researcher might be interested in that part of my family tree.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
M.
Ship's Spare Part
# 3291

- Posted      Profile for M.   Email M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My paternal grandmother was a Spurgeon. In the area of Essex she came from(and where Charles Haddon came from)though, it seems as though every other person is a Spurgeon and we've never quite managed to establish a link.

In our researches into my family tree, we've discovered that we were all very boring and sensible. The most exciting thing it seems anyone ever did was when someone lied to the census and said she was 22 instead of 21. That sort of daring and devil-may-care attitude seems typical of my family.

M.

Posts: 2303 | From: Lurking in Surrey | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stercus Tauri
Shipmate
# 16668

- Posted      Profile for Stercus Tauri   Email Stercus Tauri   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My mother isn't very keen on the Irish, for vague historical reasons (not shared by her offspring). It didn't take much searching in Scotland's People to find that the whole of my paternal grandfather's immediate family, according to the 1881 census for Govan, was born in Ireland. She insists that there must be some mistake. I'm quite happy to be a little bit Irish.

--------------------
Thay haif said. Quhat say thay, Lat thame say (George Keith, 5th Earl Marischal)

Posts: 905 | From: On the traditional lands of the Six Nations. | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would love to get my mom to take a DNA test to possibly help clear up a mystery on her side of the family. (For her to take it rather than me would help keep my dad's side out of it.) The mystery is surrounding her great-grandmother, who was either Native American (as she claimed), or French Canadian (possibly Acadian), or both. And that all depends on whether she really was an orphan or not (the family lore and
Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stercus Tauri:
My mother isn't very keen on the Irish, for vague historical reasons (not shared by her offspring). It didn't take much searching in Scotland's People to find that the whole of my paternal grandfather's immediate family, according to the 1881 census for Govan, was born in Ireland. She insists that there must be some mistake. I'm quite happy to be a little bit Irish.

Yes, I had a great-aunt- maiden name Burke- who used to insist that there were no Irish on her side of the family. Yeah, right.

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet:

For values of "a lot" varying between 100% and absolutely everybody without exception.

1024 in 10 generations is about a million in 20, a billion in 30, which is probably more than the whole population of the world back then. And that's not even back into ancient times.

Going back to, say, 1000 BC, the time of King David, the chances are that all of us are descended from everyone who was alive back then who has any living descendants at all. But we are each descended from some of them much more than others. We are likely descended from some individuals millions of times over through different intermediates.

And as genes recombine each generation the number of possible gene trees we each have going back then is trillions of trillions.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sighthound
Shipmate
# 15185

- Posted      Profile for Sighthound   Email Sighthound   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a surprising amount of Irish in me, although all the lines came from Ireland before the Famine. As they came from Mayo and County Roscommon I can't help but think there's a high probability they were Catholic, which is odd given that we are a very Protestant family.

My most interesting line is rooted in Cheshire, back to circa 1550. One ancestor fought in the Civil War (for Parliament I suspect given his religious inclinations) and another was one of three founders of a non conformist chapel. The expert on this line strongly suspects (but cannot yet prove) that we go back to one of William the Conquerer's nephews.

Another bunch comes from St Helens, where I have an absolute web of relatives, none of whom I know personally. Unfortunately I cannot get this line further back than the late 18th century, and apparently no one else can either.

Yet another lot comes from Notts/Derbyshire, and includes a couple of soldiers, one of whom had several kids out in the West Indies. It appears that through these guys I spring from a gentry family that produced one of Charles II's lesser known mistresses.

Another line, with the unusual name of Haresceugh, apparently comes from the Carlisle district.

The real surprise was my paternal line, which traces back to Denbighshire. Mine is not an obvious Welsh name.

--------------------
Supporter of Tia Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue.http://tiagreyhounds.org/

Posts: 168 | From: England | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years ago I came across a website where you could type in your surname and it would come up with a map telling you where that name was thought to originate. I tried it and it did correctly locate one of my maternal family names, a rather unusual one, to the small area of Northamptonshire that the family came from. Can't remember the website title though!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question: is there any information that security services such as the NSA would also get a copy of your DNA? I'm thinking I would want to know they do not before I'd consider such a test.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
A few years ago I came across a website where you could type in your surname and it would come up with a map telling you where that name was thought to originate. I tried it and it did correctly locate one of my maternal family names, a rather unusual one, to the small area of Northamptonshire that the family came from. Can't remember the website title though!

I found this one for the UK, and there is a list of similar sites here although not all the links work.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chorister

Completely Frocked
# 473

- Posted      Profile for Chorister   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the one side Jones, on the other Brown. I gave up at that point. Just consider me common.

--------------------
Retired, sitting back and watching others for a change.

Posts: 34626 | From: Cream Tealand | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

I found this one for the UK, and there is a list of similar sites here although not all the links work.
Well I tried that first one with the family surname that completely flummoxed every shopping centre mobile 'research your family history' stand that ever came through in the pre-internet days, and sure enough it came up with 0 results.

I know, thanks to my Dad's research, that the surname in question (my mother's) is confined to around 20 people, all descended from the same man who claimed to have come from Cornwall, but we've never found any trace of him before his marriage in London a little while before he came out to Australia.

[ 02. November 2013, 06:47: Message edited by: orfeo ]

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If anyone from furth of Scotland wants a bit of on-the-spot help with Scottish ancestor hunting, I'm happy to do a bit in return for a donation to the Ship's Floating Fund.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pyx_e

Quixotic Tilter
# 57

- Posted      Profile for Pyx_e     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a celt, Welsh, half way up some rain sodden mountain in Snowdonia, for ever. My families dislike of the English can be traced back to a distrust of the Romans. Olive munching tits. (that is an insult applicable to both)

--------------------
It is better to be Kind than right.

Posts: 9778 | From: The Dark Tower | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016