homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Whatchamacallit? (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Whatchamacallit?
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many, many years ago a friend's small daughter, having sewn a frock for her doll, took her pocket money to the haberdashery to buy fasteners, and I believe she burst into tears when the nice lady there didn't know what 'clickies' were – what other people called press studs or dome fasteners.
Or snap fasteners – haven't used any for decades, but that's what the ones at the bottom of my sewing drawer are called.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Or snap fasteners – haven't used any for decades, but that's what the ones at the bottom of my sewing drawer are called.

I was thinking about those only a couple of days ago and wondered if they were still around.

My sons loved salty annas when they were young. Sultanas, and don't forget the flutterby.

My dad insisted he would be called grandfather (in full always) by his grandchildren.

Somewhere along the line, it morphed into "grand duffer." Quite applicable at times.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My late mother always called a mobile 'phone a hello, yes. I think it was picked up from a soap about a Liverpudlian family (Bread?)

Our downstairs loo was a small-bore Saniflo so was known by children and all their friends as the Growler.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
mrs whibley
Shipmate
# 4798

- Posted      Profile for mrs whibley     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My generic mp3 player is known as the 'ear-player'. Onions are 'fagnolles' from a time when my stepchildren didn't eat onions, but mr whibley persuaded them that the onion-like things they found in their food were actually fagnolles and they would like them!
Lighting the candles on the dinner table is referred to as 'making things romantic'.

--------------------
I long for a faith that is gloriously treacherous - Mike Yaconelli

Posts: 942 | From: North Lincolnshire | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
When ITV ran films under the 'Murder, Mystery and Suspense' label, a family Spoonerism was born when the films were called Mister Murderies!

Oh, you've brought back a memory.

Many years ago there was a TV series based on the Ellery Queen murder mysteries. My roommate at the time, surfing channels one night, thought he had hit upon it, but after about five minutes or so of listening to the ramblings of a rather "obvious" old "poof", my roommate remarked, "I think this is Elderly Queen, not Ellery Queen!"

Henceforth we referred to the murder mystery series as Elderly Queen.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We have "liquid patience" for milk. When we complained of our drinks being too hot Mum would say:
"Put some patience in it"

As we got more restless we would start asking if we might put "liquid patience in it".

We have Granny's sheep after my Grandmother tried to quell a back seat of car argument by saying "Look at those black and white sheep over there." I do not recall if it was used often but it was there.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
An unknown animal in our family is a 'dangeroo', after a childhood visit to a zoo, where every cage was labelled 'These animals are dangerous'.

From 'adult' life and in memory of a departed friend we have 'paracetyl' (paracetamol) and 'robots' (portable traffic lights at roadworks).

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dogwalker
Shipmate
# 14135

- Posted      Profile for Dogwalker   Email Dogwalker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought of one when I was cooking for Thanksgiving -- "pies' children".

Pies' children are the leftover pieces of piecrust rolled out, sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar and baked for 10 minutes or so with the pies.

My mother's story was that a friend's mother made them, and when they were ready, she'd call "Here are your pies, children!"

--------------------
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. - Unknown

Posts: 155 | From: Milford, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oferyas:
'robots' (portable traffic lights at roadworks).

In South Africa that's what traffic lights in general are called.

Which is an excuse for a slight tangent. When in SA I went into a general store to buy a map, and when I couldn't find one, asked. This resulted in the following conversation:

Shop assistant: a mop?
Me: no, a map.
Shop asssistant: oh, a mep!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok family story. Dad was looking for somewhere to buy something like plasters only this was South Africa. Dis-chuffed Englishman mode

Dad: "What you guys need is Boots!"
Grandpa: "We have veldtschoens!"

But we have never called a chemist Veldtschoens so technically a tangent.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My friend is an avid flower photographer. Many times she will throw out the names of flowers that we see, so I figure she is something of an expert. We were walking by a road in Wyoming, and I asked about the beautiful blooms that were growing there. Her answer was "Roadsidea". After that, I heard her describe some as "Waysidea". Works for me.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
nickel
Shipmate
# 8363

- Posted      Profile for nickel   Email nickel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was reminded today about the "Wrong Way" lanes. Everyone else calls them car pool or HOV (high occupancy vehicle) lanes ... two extra lanes that go into the city in the morning, and are reversed to leave the city in the afternoon. No matter when we travel up that way, they always seem to be going the wrong way for us to use.
Posts: 547 | From: Virginia USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pacifiers that babies and very young children use, in our house, are called "bobs."

It started when I was a very little girl (around 4) and my friend's brother referred to his as his bob. I got a sister around that time and she, also, liked her pacifier, but by then the term, "bob," had been established forever in my mind.

My daughters' pacifiers were also called bobs, and it led to a cute little time of sweet-talk between Mr. Wrestler and the then-non-verbal Little Angel #2. He said she could have her bob, and that his real name was Robert. So - that particular bob was then known as Robert. I actually saved it for a couple years, remembering that exchange and LA 2's infancy, but then decided to throw Robert away.

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
My younger brother, when he was little, used to call a tape measure a "measurmer" and the word stuck over the years.

After my parents sold the family house in New York and were cleaning it out in preparation for moving out here to Arizona, we discovered the original tape measure that had given rise to the coinage -- humble as it may be, the Measurmer is now a family heirloom.

awww. [Axe murder]

--------------------
The fact that no one understands you does not make you an artist.
(unknown)

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016