homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Mark Sharpe - clergy employment issues

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Mark Sharpe - clergy employment issues
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Mark Sharpe case has been rumbling on for a number of years.

You can find old threads about it in Oblivion:

Here

and

Here

For those new to this case, Mark Sharpe was a priest in Worcester Diocese who suffered (along with his whole family) huge amounts of intimidation and bullying. He ended up taking early retirement through ill-health. He has been trying to sue the Diocese for failing to provide the support which was due to him. The case has hinged on whether or not he could be treated as an employee - and so come under the protection of employment rights.

It now appears that he has won his employment tribunal appeal: Press release from Unite the Union

The key part of the press release is this:
quote:
Today’s (Thursday 28 November) decision by Mrs Justice Cox says, in essence, that Rev Sharpe’s working arrangements included all of the key elements of a contract to allow the working relationship to be construed so that Rev Sharpe was an employee.

This now opens the way for a further employment tribunal to investigate the substantive issues that he had to endure while rector at Hanley Broadheath, near Worcester.

I haven't had a chance to read the full judgement yet, but this has the potential to create quite some unease in church hierarchies (not just for the C of E).

My initial guess, though, is that we haven't heard the last of this yet and that the C of E lawyers will shortly saddle up for another level of appeal. I would be interested to know exactly how much has already been spent on legal fees for this single case. I am guessing that it is vastly more than anything which may eventually be paid to Mark Sharpe in compensation (should he now win his case that the Diocese were negligent).

My personal reaction is that this decision is unsurprising and to be welcomed. For too long, the C of E (and other denominational structures) have sought to avoid their proper responsibilities of care to their ministers.

--------------------
Faradiu, dundeibáwa weyu lárigi weyu

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmm, interesting. It would be interesting to know if there are any cases of Ministers in more "congregationalist" settings suffering (or battling) similarly - for our relationships are primarily with the local church rather than with the denomination as a whole. We are not technically considered to be "employees" but "office-holders" - although we do have employed status with regard to our National Insurance contributions.

I agreed to "Terms of Appointment" which aim "to express the formal relationship between the office holder and the church which has called him/her" and state that "good practice arises out of good relationships built on mutual trust".

However it is explicitly stated that "these recommended Terms of Appointment do not bring about a ‘contract of service’ or in any way affect the minister’s status as the ‘holder of an office’". Indeed, the denomination - in common with others - has had extensive discussions with the Department of Employment precisely to make this point.

[ 28. November 2013, 17:31: Message edited by: Baptist Trainfan ]

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Oscar the Grouch:

........My personal reaction is that this decision is unsurprising and to be welcomed. For too long, the C of E (and other denominational structures) have sought to avoid their proper responsibilities of care to their ministers.

I agree. The current structures allow for the hierarchy to exercise power while avoiding accountability for their actions.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
South Coast Kevin
Shipmate
# 16130

- Posted      Profile for South Coast Kevin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree too - IMO it's incredible that churches have been able to get away with this have your cake and eat it approach. Priests et al should either be self-employed (on the same basis as builders, tutors, book-keepers etc.) or employed (on the same basis as any other employee). Anything would be special pleading on the part of the churches, and discriminatory towards those particular churches on the part of the state.

And breathe...

--------------------
My blog - wondering about Christianity in the 21st century, chess, music, politics and other bits and bobs.

Posts: 3309 | From: The south coast (of England) | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

- Posted      Profile for Oscar the Grouch     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Hmmm, interesting. It would be interesting to know if there are any cases of Ministers in more "congregationalist" settings suffering (or battling) similarly - for our relationships are primarily with the local church rather than with the denomination as a whole. We are not technically considered to be "employees" but "office-holders" - although we do have employed status with regard to our National Insurance contributions.

As I understand it (big hint that I am certainly NOT an expert), Baptist ministers are even more certainly "employees" than C of E ministers. The legal position is far clearer than in the C of E, in that the local church can easily be seen as the "employer". In the C of E, it is far harder to see who might be the "employer" - is it the Bishop, the Diocesan Board of Finance, or the Church Commissioners?

I have heard rumours that the Baptist Union bods have (unofficially) thrown in the towel on this one. Their position is untenable and all it will take is for one minister to dip their toes in the waters of employment rights. As far as I know, there isn't a case similar to Mark Sharpe in the Baptist Union - but that might well be because they are eager to settle out of court rather than face almost certain defeat.

I know that I have said this before, but I think it bears repeating:

If the hierarchy of the C of E don't want clergy to be regarded as "employees" in terms of employment rights, then they shouldn't have increasingly acted like "employers". The situation they now find themselves in arises directly from the fact that reasonable judges have looked at the way that they act and have (reasonably) concluded that they are de facto "employers".

--------------------

Posts: 3871 | From: Gamma Quadrant, just to the left of Galifrey | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So according to Pete173 back in 2011, now the whole caboodle changes?

I'm feeling kinda sorry for our Bishops today, it's been a sod of a day for them

Arethosemyfeet
Shipmate
# 17047

- Posted      Profile for Arethosemyfeet   Email Arethosemyfeet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I vaguely recall being told that the line in the past has been that if clergy are employees then God is the employer.
Posts: 2933 | From: Hebrides | Registered: Apr 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The employer is whoever pays the wages. If the wages come from the Diocese, then istm, the Diocese is the employer.

God's wages come later.

Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

- Posted      Profile for Anglo Catholic Relict   Author's homepage   Email Anglo Catholic Relict   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by justlooking:
I agree. The current structures allow for the hierarchy to exercise power while avoiding accountability for their actions.

This seems consistent with just about everything I have experienced from the church. The fine words we hear are not backed up by any real interest in doing the right thing.
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this thread about whose version of the story we believe, whether a much put upon vicar or parish has been appallingly calumnified? The stories are so much at variance that either one version or both of them must be untrue, and I'm not going even to venture to guess which. Or is it about whether incumbents ought to be able to take their diocese/PCC/bishop to an Industrial Tribunal?

I can see why a person might want to be able to, but there are serious downsides you may not have thought of. First of all, I think some if not all incumbents pay tax under Schedule DII as self-employed people. If they are employees, that makes them Schedule E which is much less accommodating on which of one's expenses one can charge against tax.

If, for example, theological books or vestments are claimable, an employee would probably have to get the PCC to buy them, and when he or she moved on, would have to leave them behind for their successor.

Second, and less mercenary, if an incumbent is employed by his/her bishop or diocese, he/she is directly under them in management terms. It means the telephone can ring, the bishop/archdeacon/area dean/a churchwarden/somebody in the diocesan office can say "Is that Grouch? I've just heard Mr X has been taken ill. Be at the hospital in twenty minutes.", or "I've heard you've been using the Roman Canon/omitting the Gospel Canticle/whatever. Desist", in both cases with an implied 'or else', which means something.

A key distinction between being employed and not being, is whether one is under the direct direction of someone else, who can require you to spend your time on tasks they designate, rather than giving you the freedom to decide results within a broader framework.

You can say, if you wish, 'that's not how ministry's supposed to be done', but if you are just the Bishop's jobsworth, why not? I'd imagine you'd assume if you have a curate that you can expect them to run around at your behest.

I'd agree that the present position is a muddly mess. But don't necessarily hope for what you wish for.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Methodist Church "won" on this subject quite recently.

In the Supreme Court, no less

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Enoch:
A key distinction between being employed and not being, is whether one is under the direct direction of someone else, who can require you to spend your time on tasks they designate, rather than giving you the freedom to decide results within a broader framework.

Aren't priests supposed - in theory - to submit to their bishops anyway?

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
First of all, I think some if not all incumbents pay tax under Schedule DII as self-employed people. If they are employees, that makes them Schedule E which is much less accommodating on which of one's expenses one can charge against tax.

Clergy tax arrangements are notoriously complex. There is a good argument to be made for them to be simplified (although that would threaten the jobs of the clergy tax consultants I know!). But attaining "employee" status would not necessarily demand such a change. Clergy would still be "office holders".

quote:
Second, and less mercenary, if an incumbent is employed by his/her bishop or diocese, he/she is directly under them in management terms. It means the telephone can ring, the bishop/archdeacon/area dean/a churchwarden/somebody in the diocesan office can say "Is that Grouch? I've just heard Mr X has been taken ill. Be at the hospital in twenty minutes.", or "I've heard you've been using the Roman Canon/omitting the Gospel Canticle/whatever. Desist", in both cases with an implied 'or else', which means something.

I think I would want to challenge this assumption quite strongly. It is the scare story put up by the bishops - "you don't want to be managed by us and we don't want to manage you".

The argument is not that clergy should become employees, pure and simple, but that their position as "office holders" should be given employer status for the purposes of employment rights. There is no desire on the part of Unite (of which I am a member) for clergy to give up the freedoms which are associated with their role. And it is a false scare for bishops to claim that this is the only alternative to the present situation. It is perfectly reasonable and achievable for clergy to get the statutory protection that they need, whilst still having the freedom to minister that they also need.

No-one (apart from a few micro-managing archdeacons) wants a system where clergy are given direction from bishops and archdeacons along the lines you mention. Part of my annoyance with this matter is that bishops have repeatedly misrepresented the key matters of the argument - either because they don't understand it themselves or because they are deliberately creating mischief. You can take your choice as which is most likely.

(BTW - One reason why bishops are so keen to avoid clergy getting full protection under employment legislation is that if this happened, discrimination based on one's sexuality would be wide open to legal challenge. Bishops really don't want to have THAT can of worms opened)

--------------------

Oscar the Grouch

Adopted Cascadian
# 1916

quote:
Originally posted by lowlands_boy:
The Methodist Church "won" on this subject quite recently.

In the Supreme Court, no less

Yes - that was strange, I must admit. The previous appeal court judgment was so decisive, that I couldn't understand how it could be so easily overturned. And I have to say that the reasons given by the Supreme Court don't actually make much sense. I certainly don't see how they negate the previous rationale. And I suspect that this present case will now throw that judgement back into the mixer.

This story is going to run and run, for sure.

--------------------

lowlands_boy
Shipmate
# 12497

- Posted      Profile for lowlands_boy   Email lowlands_boy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't really see how any particular judgement could reasonably apply across denominations anyway.

In Methodism, ministers get stationed - so that could amount to an initial, fixed term contract (normally of 5 years). But at the end of that, the minister can seek an extension to their appointment, that the circuit could refuse. Does that mean they've been sacked? It would be very difficult to make that the case I think - the whole circuit is entitled to be consulted and to come to a view. Trying to hold one person responsible for that wouldn't be very practical.

But the situation for appointments is different in other denominations, and so the question of who the "employer" is etc etc inevitably changes.

--------------------
I thought I should update my signature line....

Posts: 836 | From: North West UK | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
... There is no desire on the part of Unite (of which I am a member) for clergy to give up the freedoms which are associated with their role. ...

I bet there isn't, but that is wanting to have one's cake and eat it. The obverse of that vision is that it would fix the bishops/church/diocese/PCCs etc with responsibility but without the power to manage it. Responsibility without power is always an impossible and unfair position to be placed in. We all know whose prerogative is power without responsibility.

Besides, do you really think Unite is backing this case because of its deep concern for the individual priest involved, rather than taking a flyer on the prospect that if the case goes its way, it will have a fantastic opportunity to expand into a new area and recruit a whole lot of new members, at a time when union membership is falling?

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Higgs Bosun
Shipmate
# 16582

- Posted      Profile for Higgs Bosun   Email Higgs Bosun   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anglo Catholic Relict:
The employer is whoever pays the wages. If the wages come from the Diocese, then istm, the Diocese is the employer.

If a parish is paying its share, then the money is actually coming from the parish, and in particular the PCC, which is the legal entity. (Historically this would have been the case, with the parish paying its tithe to the rector.) So, Mark Sharpe's employer could be regarded as the very folk with whom he was having problems!

And then the patronage system in the CofE adds another twist. Technically, the patron proposes priests for the parish, the parish representatives can refuse a proposal, and when accepted, the bishop licenses the priest to the parish. I don't know if Mark Sharpe held the living, or was simply licensed as priest in charge. If the former, then the patron could be construed as the employer. If the patron is the diocesan bishop (as is quite common) then that would simplify things.

I have no idea if a parish priest in the CofE has any kind of contract with the diocese which could be construed as a contract of employment.

Posts: 313 | From: Near the Tidal Thames | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hum, does the public employ nurses because the money comes out of general taxation?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:

If a parish is paying its share, then the money is actually coming from the parish, and in particular the PCC, which is the legal entity. (Historically this would have been the case, with the parish paying its tithe to the rector.) So, Mark Sharpe's employer could be regarded as the very folk with whom he was having problems!
That's no more true than the person who tries to threaten a cashier at a supermarket into enabling their fraud with the "I pay your wages, I'm the customer so I'm right" line.

Money is fungible, you can't work out the identity of an employer just by chasing where it "came from."

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anglo Catholic Relict
Shipmate
# 17213

quote:
Originally posted by Higgs Bosun:
quote:

No, I am afraid that does not work.

Civil servants are not regarded as employees of tax payers even though tax payers ultimately pay their wages. They are paid by their employer; the Government, and therefore they are Government employees and public servants.

The same applies to the Diocese. Regardless of where the Diocese gets its money from, it pays clergy their stipends. Therefore those clergy are Diocesan employees, and parish servants.

Rev'd Sharpe was paid by the Diocese, not by the Parish; his working conditions were determined by the Diocese, and he held his Parish at the behest of the Bishop. Therefore in my view it is appropriate to regard him as a Diocesan employee, not an employee of the PCC or the churchwardens.

Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wasn't there a case about 2006 where the House of Lords, on appeal from the Court of Session in Edinburgh, held that a church of Scotland minister Helen Percy was an employee for purpose of employment rights legislation.
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
Francophile
Shipmate
# 17838

- Posted      Profile for Francophile   Email Francophile   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld200506/ldjudgmt/jd051215/percy-1.htm
Posts: 243 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2013  |  IP: Logged
the giant cheeseburger
Shipmate
# 10942

- Posted      Profile for the giant cheeseburger     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a general observation here:

It is a sad day when a church has to be held accountable in a civil court for their anti-labour practices. The church should be proactively setting an excellent standard in this area, for society needs the church to shine light on dark places rather than being one of the darkest places themselves.

--------------------
If I give a homeopathy advocate a really huge punch in the face, can the injury be cured by giving them another really small punch in the face?

Posts: 4834 | From: Adelaide, South Australia. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:

I agreed to "Terms of Appointment" which aim "to express the formal relationship between the office holder and the church which has called him/her" and state that "good practice arises out of good relationships built on mutual trust".

However it is explicitly stated that "these recommended Terms of Appointment do not bring about a ‘contract of service’ or in any way affect the minister’s status as the ‘holder of an office’". Indeed, the denomination - in common with others - has had extensive discussions with the Department of Employment precisely to make this point.

Trainfan - PM for more info on this.

One thing I would say - extensive discussions with anyone don't make laws: case law does, based on the precedent established court decisions.

One denomination at least has paid someone off rather than allow this to take its course. As I say a PM gets a bit more from the inside ....

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
ExclamationMark
Shipmate
# 14715

- Posted      Profile for ExclamationMark   Email ExclamationMark   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As I understand it (big hint that I am certainly NOT an expert), Baptist ministers are even more certainly "employees" than C of E ministers.

I have heard rumours that the Baptist Union bods have (unofficially) thrown in the towel on this one. Their position is untenable and all it will take is for one minister to dip their toes in the waters of employment rights.

As far as I know, there isn't a case similar to Mark Sharpe in the Baptist Union - but that might well be because they are eager to settle out of court rather than face almost certain defeat.

Well, writing from a Baptist perspective, I can you that you are on the money.

Every case of this ilk (and I know of a few from 1st hand knowledge) has been settled pre court hearing. PM for more details if you like.

[codefix]

[ 30. November 2013, 07:03: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

Posts: 3845 | From: A new Jerusalem | Registered: Apr 2009  |  IP: Logged
justlooking
Shipmate
# 12079

- Posted      Profile for justlooking   Author's homepage   Email justlooking   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
Just a general observation here:

It is a sad day when a church has to be held accountable in a civil court for their anti-labour practices. The church should be proactively setting an excellent standard in this area, for society needs the church to shine light on dark places rather than being one of the darkest places themselves.

The Church isn't above the civil law and it needs to set an example by accepting this. No large institution should be left to police itself. Whether it's bankers or bishops they have the same instincts for self-preservation and the same talent for rationalising deception when it suits them.
Posts: 2319 | From: thither and yon | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the giant cheeseburger:
The church should be proactively setting an excellent standard in this area, for society needs the church to shine light on dark places rather than being one of the darkest places themselves.

The problem here revolves precisely around the Church's vision of its calling and identity.

I was a full-time pastor of an independent church for ten years having been part-time for several years before that, and helped set up the terms and conditions of my own post. At the time I sort of knew that I had no unemployment protection or other rights, but it seemed like a risk worth taking to help build a "city on a hill" precisely to "shine light into dark places" - and of course the more you are fired up with a vision like that, the less likely you are to think that anything could go wrong.

When it did all go wrong, I would have definitely considered taking my case to court if I had had a leg to stand on, and I have devoted quite a lot of time since then to fighting, in various arenas, for full-time christian workers to be treated more fairly from an employment perspective and made more aware of just what they are signing up to.

That said, I'm always a bit puzzled by people going into ministry who seem to think it's just a career like any other, and who are missing that spark of vocation and laying down their lives.

Finding the happy medium for the Church being "in and not of" the world is about as difficult as deciding where Jesus' humanity ends and his divinity begins (it's a favourite comparison of mine to examine churches through the lens of the various heresies about the incarnation. I know more than a few churches I'd consider to be 'docetic'...).

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016