homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » The Last Gospel (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: The Last Gospel
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dj_ordinaire:
quote:
Originally posted by Ceremoniar:
quote:
Originally posted by malik3000:
It's been half a century or so, but i seem to recall that in the pre-Vatican 2 RC Church, the Last Gospel was used EXCEPT at solemn high masses.

Nope. At Solemn Mass the subdeacon holds the last gospel card for the celebrant.
http://rickmk.com/picturepro/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=65

Is it possible it was read by the sacred ministers while some sort of postlude was playing over it? Or is malik just misremembering (as we all so often do!)
In practice, the last gospel at a High Mass, be it Sung or Solemn, is not audible to the congregation. Soemtimes there might already be music playing over it, yes.

Since there are now a couple hundred venues in the U.S. and Canada that celebrate the EF Mass every Sunday, the last gospel is being read with increased frequency. Still only a tiny percentage of the total number of Masses, to be sure, but a consistently growing number. [Angel]

Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just a small correction; the genuflection at the last gospel is at the words of, "Et Verbum Caro Factum Est".

I quote from memory, but I am pretty sure that is correct, because I go occasionally to two churches where these words are prominently displayed behind the high altar.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Forthview
Shipmate
# 12376

- Posted      Profile for Forthview   Email Forthview   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry ,EFF, to miss out Verbum.
Indeed it should be 'Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis' (And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us )

Posts: 3444 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ecclesiastical Flip-flop
Shipmate
# 10745

- Posted      Profile for Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Email Ecclesiastical Flip-flop   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:
Indeed it should be 'Et Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis' (And the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us )

Thanks Forthview for completing the sentence (in Latin) in that verse.

--------------------
Joyeuses Pâques! Frohe Ostern! Buona Pasqua! ¡Felices Pascuas! Happy Easter!

Posts: 1946 | From: Surrey UK | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ceremoniar
Shipmate
# 13596

- Posted      Profile for Ceremoniar   Email Ceremoniar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Forthview:

True, but the genuflection is intended only for the words ET VERBUM CARO FACTUM EST, which are always capitalized.
Posts: 1240 | From: U.S. | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
malik3000
Shipmate
# 11437

- Posted      Profile for malik3000   Author's homepage   Email malik3000   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was indeed the Leonine prayers I was thinking of, Forthview.

In my youth I rarely got to see a solemn mass or even a missa cantata, which would have been my preference, budding ecclesiantic that I was even then. But my parents preferred to go to the latest Sunday mass which would have been noon in those days and was always a low mass. (That was in the days of Sunday masses on the hour between 7 or 8AM and noon.)

BTW I seem to recall that the Last Gospel was always silently read.

[ 30. October 2013, 00:44: Message edited by: malik3000 ]

--------------------
God = love.
Otherwise, things are not just black or white.

Posts: 3149 | From: North America | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mama Thomas
Shipmate
# 10170

- Posted      Profile for Mama Thomas   Email Mama Thomas   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've heard it a few times and have read it a few times during weekday Masses of Xmas. It's one of those things I would like to see come back.
Posts: 3742 | From: Somewhere far away | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016