homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Nativity Play Delights

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Nativity Play Delights
Cottontail

Shipmate
# 12234

- Posted      Profile for Cottontail   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday, our church enjoyed a delightful nativity play, sung in its entirety by our children. Apart from a shepherd falling over his stick at one point, and an angel in wellies, things went pretty smoothly.

Except ... the third Wise Man was wearing a Dracula cloak! He supplied it himself, and I thought he meant a rich black cloak with a red trim that we could tart up with a bit of tinsel. But no, it really was a Dracula cloak, short, and with a scalloped bat-wing-effect edge!

So the Baby Jesus was visited by a Vampire King. Who knew? [Devil]

How did your Nativity Plays go this year? Or any year?

--------------------
"I don't think you ought to read so much theology," said Lord Peter. "It has a brutalizing influence."

Posts: 2377 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
tessaB
Shipmate
# 8533

- Posted      Profile for tessaB   Email tessaB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I work with 2-4 yr olds so our nativity can be quite funny. We have had at the manger, as well as the usual sheep, donkey and cow, a tiger, a spider and a dinosaur. Trying to persuade the angel Gabriel to actually hand the baby Jesus over to Mary is always interesting and we have had to break up a fight between the king as to who gives which gift.
It is a fabulous occasion every time though. Serious aah factor. Also what other job in the world do you find yourself saying things like "Mary, stop treading on the baby Jesus, and Joseph take your hand out of your pants please."

--------------------
tessaB
eating chocolate to the glory of God
Holiday cottage near Rye

Posts: 1068 | From: U.K. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MrsBeaky
Shipmate
# 17663

- Posted      Profile for MrsBeaky   Author's homepage   Email MrsBeaky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
two tales from Nativity plays from my teaching career:
Infants school: Enter the Angel Gabriel who tripped over the piano leg and arrived "on stage" flat on his stomach but still flawlessly delivered his lines....
SEBD school: The Virgin Mary dropped the baby Jesus and stormed off stage shouting "F**king Hell!"

....Those were the days!

[ 23. December 2013, 12:36: Message edited by: MrsBeaky ]

--------------------
"It is better to be kind than right."

http://davidandlizacooke.wordpress.com

Posts: 693 | From: UK/ Kenya | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged
HCH
Shipmate
# 14313

- Posted      Profile for HCH   Email HCH   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My sister and my mother were once at a Christmas pageant at which a number of small children had been cast as sheep, wearing furry little sheep ears. My mother and sister allegedly cracked up at the sight of this and had great difficulty in not bursting out with laughter. (I was not present; this is family folklore.)
Posts: 1540 | From: Illinois, USA | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And here I thought the thread title was referring to this Nativity play...
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One group of children had made their own nativity play to be performed in assembly. At the crucial moment, Mary was at the back of the stage, there was some unspecified activity, and the baby appeared. They had hidden the doll in the gap behind the stage blocks - it was very effective. Teacher led nativities had tended to have the baby arrive in the manger as it was added to the stage.
rolyn
Shipmate
# 16840

- Posted      Profile for rolyn         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Except ... the third Wise Man was wearing a Dracula cloak! He supplied it himself, and I thought he meant a rich black cloak with a red trim that we could tart up with a bit of tinsel. But no, it really was a Dracula cloak, short, and with a scalloped bat-wing-effect edge!

So the Baby Jesus was visited by a Vampire King. Who knew? [Devil]

Rather apt I think , considering Stoker's famous Gothic horror story was very much inspired by Victorian Christian beliefs and practices .

A point that may well have been lost on your audience I expect [Biased]

--------------------
Change is the only certainty of existence

Posts: 3206 | From: U.K. | Registered: Dec 2011  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We had our nativity on Sunday. Highlights - one of the older children as Gabriel carrying a chair to stand on to give the variious messages, and "Mary", a rather confident 4 year old, on being told that she was to have a baby, matter of factly saying "OK".

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 6 years ago, my then-13 year old son begged to be Gabriel in the church nativity . Unfortunately neither I, nor anyone else, thought to ask why, but it turned out that he had got the idea that Gabriel would be carrying a flaming sword into church.

His dismay when, too late to change parts, he discovered there was no sword, flaming or otherwise, and that he was actually going to wear a frilly white nightie, tinsel fairy wings and a tinsel halo can be imagined.

Unsurprisingly those of his classmates who were at the service photographed him with their mobiles and by the time he walked into school the next day, it had gone viral round the school.

I was gutted for him - I felt that a better mother might have enquired as to why a 13 year old boy wanted to be Gabriel. I felt that I had let him down badly.

Astonishingly, the photos of him in the frilly nightie and fairy wings weren't social suicide, but neither has it ever been quite forgotten. He's been asked to be Gabriel again at the Watchnight service tomorrow. His costume has more of a Gandalf-the-White vibe than frilly nightie this time round. It's going to be such a contrast to six years ago. There's no way I'm going to watch him as Gabriel tomorrow without welling up.

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Poor guy. I think he really ought to get a chance at that sword. [Big Grin]

[considers future nativity play possibilities]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Martha
Shipmate
# 185

- Posted      Profile for Martha   Email Martha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My 3-yr-old was in his first nativity play this year! My husband's favourite moment was when they were all ushered onto the stage at the beginning. Toby looked around, spotted Dad taking photos and started shouting, "Use the flash, Dad!"
Posts: 388 | From: in the kitchen | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few years back at the Family Mass (I used to go just for the Nativity play) one of the Kings made an unscheduled entry leading his little brother in his debut as a shepherd. He was feeling shy.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Twilight

Puddleglum's sister
# 2832

- Posted      Profile for Twilight     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ours was written and scored by a member of the congregation this year. The children acted it all out while the choir sang the original songs and the narration was done by our oldest (94) gentleman. The youngest member of our church is 13 months and her mother carried her to the front where she just stood there in her plaid taffeta dress while the cameras flashed. What more could you want?
bib
Shipmate
# 13074

- Posted      Profile for bib     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
4 year old granddaughter was Mary ( so were 5 other little girls), most of the boys chose to be kings and there we only 2 shepherds. Trouble was the shepherds carried sticks and started poking each other on stage and then got into a fight.

--------------------
"My Lord, my Life, my Way, my End, accept the praise I bring"

Posts: 1307 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Chamois
Shipmate
# 16204

- Posted      Profile for Chamois   Email Chamois   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My favourite Nativity Play incident was a few years ago. Everything appeared to be ready, but the play hadn't started. Eventually the vicar came forward and announced that the angel Gabriel had missed the bus and was therefore going to be late. Said the vicar, "I wonder if God had this problem?". We sang some more carols, and eventually the next bus arrived with Gabriel on board.
Posts: 978 | From: Hill of roses | Registered: Feb 2011  |  IP: Logged
Siegfried
Ship's ferret
# 29

- Posted      Profile for Siegfried   Author's homepage   Email Siegfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Carex:
And here I thought the thread title was referring to this Nativity play...

Thank you so very much for posting that link. That was so much fun.

-Even Lowlier Shepherd

--------------------
Siegfried
Life is just a bowl of cherries!

Posts: 5592 | From: Tallahassee, FL USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last night our three-year-old sheep was in a world of his own and started sort of dancing by himself in front of the altar, doing these hilarious vogue moves.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This wasn't at a nativity play, but about ten years ago we had three little girls of similar age -three and four- and they all decided to dance in a ring in front of the altar to "O Come All Ye Faithful" after the choir and altar servers had processed at the midnight service. It was the most beautiful thing! [Tear]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Galloping Granny
Shipmate
# 13814

- Posted      Profile for Galloping Granny   Email Galloping Granny   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Our local churches do a 'walk through Christmas' in which groups of 5-8 year-olds from local schools come for what is often their first visit to a church. They go to each of three churches in turn, and ours does the actual Christmas drama.
When the Three Kings arrived, Rev Mary invited the children to tell her what gift a block covered with gold paper might be. One child recognised the wrapping and thought it might be chocolate. Another thoughtful young woman suggested it was one of those things that you put by the baby's cot so that if he cries the mother can hear him in another room.
I walked one year with one of the teachers who admitted it was the first time he'd been in a church.

GG

--------------------
The Kingdom of Heaven is spread upon the earth, and men do not see it. Gospel of Thomas, 113

Posts: 2629 | From: Matarangi | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A long, long time ago, working in a multi-faith school, I staged a nativity play with my reception class. Mary was a serene little Hindu girl, who looked after her "baby" beautifully, but the show stealer was the small Jewish Angel Gabriel who bounced onto the stage, flapping her hands. She stopped, eyed Mary and said
"You're going to have a baby..."
Gabriel then approached Mary, looked at her threateningly and hissed
"...and you'd better call him Jesus!"
Without taking her eyes off the thus menaced Mary, Gabriel then hopped backwards off stage again.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Years ago, I spent Christmas morning trying to keep one of the 4-year-old shepherds from slumping off his seat and falling asleep on the floor throughout.

Neither of the school nativities had any major incidents this year but KGlet2 kept trying to run on stage and join his big brother, which was a little wearing.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bit of a tangent...Things I have enjoyed reading to children. Joyce Grenfell's Nursery School rehearsal for the Nativity Play.

Grenfell monologue

And "The best Christmas Pageant ever" aka "The Worst Kids in the World" by Barbara Robinson, also I now find available as a play. In which a bunch of children "known to social services" (and the police, and the fire service), get involved in the church nativity play and cast new light on it, with interesting opinions about Herod and the wisdom of the kings, among other things. Its a hoot, but also thought provoking.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Best nativity moment? Years ago the rather bolshie 8 year-old son of friend was cast as the innkeeper, rather than the Joseph or King he thought was his due.

Having been brought up going to church he knew the story. Rehearsals went just fine and Thomas knew all his lines.

Come the performance. when Joseph enquired if there was a room up steps Thomas and declaims "Rooms? Have we got rooms? The inn is empty - take your pick." Joseph just stood there, Mary got the giggles, the donkey fell over when both halves laughed too much, and the Angel Gabriel (older sister) was clearly heard saying "You little sh*t, Thomas".

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Penny S:
...And "The best Christmas Pageant ever" aka "The Worst Kids in the World" by Barbara Robinson, also I now find available as a play. In which a bunch of children "known to social services" (and the police, and the fire service), get involved in the church nativity play and cast new light on it, with interesting opinions about Herod and the wisdom of the kings, among other things. Its a hoot, but also thought provoking.

This is my favourite Christmas book. I will be very happy when I see a Nativity where the wise men bring a ham to the baby Jesus and the Angel Gabriel's first word is 'Shazam'.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Charlie-in-the-box
Shipmate
# 17954

- Posted      Profile for Charlie-in-the-box   Author's homepage   Email Charlie-in-the-box   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, such courage. I avoid those "plays" like the plague. It makes me shudder just thinking about it and for some stupid reason, the priest frowns on my silver flask that I would need in purse to get through such a trauma. I think anyone who attends those should get a big, fat emerald in their crown in the afterlife, or 50 years shaved off purgatory. Wait a minute, maybe I should have went. I need all the help I can get.

--------------------
Charlie-in-the-box
http://rosarygirl1962.blogspot.com/

Posts: 55 | From: Island of Misfit Heretics | Registered: Jan 2014  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the Ship, Charlie-in-the-box! Heaven is a great place to get your sea legs!

If you like, there's a welcome thread in All Saints where you can introduce yourself.

jedijudy
Heaven Host

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whoops! I see you've already found the welcome thread! [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sherwood
Shipmate
# 15702

- Posted      Profile for Sherwood     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had the honour of being in two Nativity plays in primary school.

In infants school, every year the entire second year was involved, meaning the amount of people who came to visit the stable had to be increased to allow for 50-odd five and six year olds.
The year I was involved, my class got split into two groups: potters and shepherds and their sheep. I got a bit miffed at this, not just because I was a potter and not a shepherd or sheep, but because I KNEW there were no potters in the Nativity. According to my mother, I was the grumpiest kid on stage.

Two years later in junior school, I got cast as the lead shepherd. This was a surprise to me as the teacher directing the play was my class teacher and we didn't get on at all. Anyhoo, opening night came along and five mins before the shepherd's cue, one of the Kings decides we should all be method actors. This meant taking our plimsoles off as they hadn't been invented back then. We all agreed and whipped them off quickly and went on stage.
All went well: we sang 'While Shepherd's Watched', the Angel Gabriel gave us the good news and we visited the stable. Then we had to depart before the Kings arrived, which meant walking off stage down some portable wooden steps and processing down the aisle between the audience.
Here is where I have to admit to being something of a clumsy so and so, and being even more so at 8 years of age. Especially in a floor length heavy felt kaftan. I step off the top step, my foot gets caught on the kaftan and I fall and slide a few feet along the floor...coming to a stop at my dad's feet. He's bright red from trying not to laugh, my mother loudly proclaimed "are you all right, poppet" and the Angel Gabriel is out-heehawing the donkey due to laughing so hard.

And that is how I never got picked for school plays ever again.

Posts: 62 | From: Finland | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
About 6 years ago, my then-13 year old son begged to be Gabriel in the church nativity . Unfortunately neither I, nor anyone else, thought to ask why, but it turned out that he had got the idea that Gabriel would be carrying a flaming sword into church.

<snip>

Astonishingly, the photos of him in the frilly nightie and fairy wings weren't social suicide, but neither has it ever been quite forgotten. He's been asked to be Gabriel again at the Watchnight service tomorrow. His costume has more of a Gandalf-the-White vibe than frilly nightie this time round. It's going to be such a contrast to six years ago. There's no way I'm going to watch him as Gabriel tomorrow without welling up.

Oh, NEQ, that's fabulous!! Right, he's definitely getting written into my 2012 NaNo novel when I rewrite it- you know, the one about Gabriel...

Cattyish, so happy to see that real life is still stranger than fiction.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Intrepid Mrs S
Shipmate
# 17002

- Posted      Profile for The Intrepid Mrs S   Email The Intrepid Mrs S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many years ago, our village church Nativities were led by a lady who had amassed an amazing selection of costumes (though she waltzed off with my last muslin nappy for Mary's headdress). Master S, who must have been about 4 or 5, was cast as Herod, and I remember him vividly, lolling in the Bishop's throne, clad in cloth of gold [Overused]

His comment on being told he was to be Herod?

'Cool! Do I get a gun or a sword to kill the babies?' [Killing me]

Mercifully method acting had not arrived in North Somerset ...

Mrs. S, still cherishing that moment

--------------------
Don't get your knickers in a twist over your advancing age. It achieves nothing and makes you walk funny.
Prayer should be our first recourse, not our last resort
'Lord, please give us patience. NOW!'

Posts: 1464 | From: Neither here nor there | Registered: Mar 2012  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Intrepid Mrs S:
Many years ago, our village church Nativities were led by a lady who had amassed an amazing selection of costumes (though she waltzed off with my last muslin nappy for Mary's headdress).

That makes her sound like Linda Snell.
quote:
Master S, who must have been about 4 or 5, was cast as Herod, and I remember him vividly, lolling in the Bishop's throne, clad in cloth of gold [Overused]

His comment on being told he was to be Herod?

'Cool! Do I get a gun or a sword to kill the babies?' [Killing me]

Mercifully method acting had not arrived in North Somerset ...

Mrs. S, still cherishing that moment

I like it. At least it proves he'd learnt something.
[Smile]

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016