homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Essence of a city (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Essence of a city
Arabella Purity Winterbottom

Trumpeting hope
# 3434

- Posted      Profile for Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Email Arabella Purity Winterbottom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Oh, the snow on the Rimutaka's - I'm homesick.

I shall think of you as I drive over them tomorrow - I'm hoping for no snow, though.

The other essence of Wellington is the smell of native bush - kind of peppery and damp, and very fresh.

--------------------
Hell is full of the talented and Heaven is full of the energetic. St Jane Frances de Chantal

Posts: 3702 | From: Aotearoa, New Zealand | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
College Park would have a base of petrol from US1 and the Beltway, as well as "barnyard" (aka compost and cow) from the ag research facilities at the University and the farms just outside of town; a midrange of vanilanin from decomposing books in the library, frying fish, and cheap Chinese food overlayed with spilled beer; and top notes of cherry blossom and cheap, sleazy undergrad.

Brookland smells in some ways the same (cherry blossoms, traffic, fried stuff, libraries, and undergrads), but also of church incense, a different blend of church incense, hot asphalt, and the local brewery.

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Arabella Purity Winterbottom:
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Oh, the snow on the Rimutaka's - I'm homesick.

I shall think of you as I drive over them tomorrow - I'm hoping for no snow, though.

The other essence of Wellington is the smell of native bush - kind of peppery and damp, and very fresh.

Now I'm even more homesick. I mainly saw the Rimutakas in the background, driving through snow isn't something I enjoy.

Not a city, but travelling west out of Christchurch, through Arthur's Pass and into Westland you get that same damp bush smell of rainforest.

Christchurch desperately needs a rainforest - maybe we could do something about it as part of "The Rebuild" (which is the horrible phrase being used here).

Huia

[ 06. February 2014, 08:45: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cottontail:
Kidderminster, where I used to live, ponged of burned sugar beet. It smelled like burned roast beef. Not nice.

No no no, I spent the first 19 years of my life there and sugar beet during the "campaign" (localese for harvest) just means home. It's like soil, sugar, and rubber all burning together, and is more pleasant than it sounds. British Sugar closed a decade ago mind so it's all in the past now.

Stouport, the next town along, smelled strongly of vinegar until the late 1980s.

Uttoxeter, although not so much these days, was Elke's Malted Milk Biscuits.

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Galveston = rotting fish. One of the foulest smelling places on earth.

Lexington, KY = The heavenly aroma of curing tobacco when the warehouses are full.

Memphis = Every other street corner has a pit cooked pork BBQ joint (It would be too high class to call 'em "restaurants") And each one has its own pit slow-cooking the succulent little piggies.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If Galveston smells bad, its for the same reason as Venice does (the only two times I ever went to Venice it stank a lot worse than Galveston did the one time I went there). It's not the sea or fish or even the foul mud or last night's street litter first wetted with rainwater and now baking in the sun on the island itself. It's the heavy industrial infrastructure, chemical works, oil refineries, and naval bases, on the coast facing the island. When the wind is coming from the mainland, so does the stink.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are areas of Phoenix, and its surrounding suburbs, that smell like manure tinged with ammonia, ripened in the sun. This is due to the large tracts of artificially irrigated and fertilized farmland in the area.

They say that Pittsburgh used to smell like ketchup due to the Heinz factory that was one of the mainstays of the city's economy, but when I lived there I never noticed it.

New York has a tendency to smell like dust from the brake shoes of subway cars.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chicago has different odors depending on what part of the city you are in (like any other city, certainly). If you're on Michigan Avenue, you get the smell of bus exhaust fumes competing with the occasional fresh breeze off the Lake. On the north side of the city there is a cocoa factory, so you might get lucky to have a blast of airborne chocolate.

In the summer, the Lake Michigan beaches would be littered with the bodies of dead alewives and so have a horrid fishy smell, although that has declined due to species management.

When I was a kid growing up in the far southern suburbs, we were 30 miles due east of Gary, IN and if the wind was out of the east you could smell the steel mills. Between environmental protections (good) and the overall decline of the steel industry (not so good), that has gone away.

[ 10. February 2014, 16:10: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I'm traveling some of the inland roads in my neck of the woods, depending on the time of year, the orange processors can smell heavenly! There's one not too far from LaBelle, and one in Lake Wales. The aroma is orange cake! The drawback is that it makes me hungry.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, yeah, we have orange trees in Phoenix too, and the aroma of orange blossoms is intoxicating!

I had an apartment once with an orange tree outside my bedroom window. I put a fan in the living room window and set it to blow air out the window, in order to draw the orange blossom aroma in through the bedroom window and all through the apartment.

A swarm of bees would congregate outside the living room window -- the aroma drove them absolutely bonkers!

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Bob Two-Owls
Shipmate
# 9680

- Posted      Profile for Bob Two-Owls         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a few weeks the Derbyshire dales will reek of wild garlic, it makes the whole place smell like fresh garlic bread cooking in the oven. Garlic with a faint hint of sheep is what home smells like to me.
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
When I was a kid growing up in the far southern suburbs, we were 30 miles due east of Gary, IN and if the wind was out of the east you could smell the steel mills. Between environmental protections (good) and the overall decline of the steel industry (not so good), that has gone away.

{tangent alert}

When I lived near Nashua, NH, the city had a serious problem with air pollution. A careful analysis of the components of the dirty air showed that it matched the components in the smokestack emissions in Gary. The winds frequently carried the stuff to Nashua.

{/tangent alert}

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Warsaw has very bad drains/sewers.

unforgettable was the experience of sitting at an outdoor table of a restaurant downwind if them.

Same in Prague on a hot day.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016