homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Putting churches on Google Maps

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Putting churches on Google Maps
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been tasked with putting the 17 churches in my deanery (in the UK) on Google Maps, to add their contact details and put some photos up. Problem is, none of them really have a post code - I'm using the nearest for a different map, but in some cases it's half a mile away because the church is on its own.

Is there a straightforward way of doing this? A few of them come up in red with a pointy blob already - I don't know how they got there - but how do I get the rest of them?

[ 29. June 2014, 19:27: Message edited by: Panda ]

Posts: 1637 | From: North Wales | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think you want the mapmaker tool

mapmaker.google.com

It has help to guide you through.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
Net Spinster
Shipmate
# 16058

- Posted      Profile for Net Spinster   Email Net Spinster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am assuming you know where the churches are and not just by street address. If not, you'll need someone who does or good ordinance survey maps.

Adding pictures seems to be done after you've added a place. So in cases where a red flag already exists, click and the info should show up with an option to add photos. You may need to correct some of the info.

--------------------
spinner of webs

Posts: 1093 | From: San Francisco Bay area | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could I suggest they get a postcode pdq?

We had an elderly gentleman collapse in church and when we phoned for an ambulance, were told they needed a postcode to be able to dispatch paramedics / ambulance. Saying "you can't miss it, it's the big building with the spire in the village square; it's the only church in the village; you can see it from some distance away" wasn't enough. They needed to programme in a postcode.

(We did get am ambulance, and all was well, but we also got ourselves a postcode which is pinned up next to the phone in case of future need.)

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Missed edit window-
We didn't have a postcode, because the church doesn't have a letterbox; the "postal address" of our church is the Manse (vicarage).

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

- Posted      Profile for Panda   Email Panda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Because I've already produced a tourist leaflet, I've assigned the churches the post code of the next nearest building, so that tourists can find it on sat-nav. If it's next door, that's fine, but in a few cases the church is on its own next to the road, half a mile away from its supposed post code. Augh!
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Postcodes can be pretty broad rural areas in the UK. I happen to know that Chatsworth House shares it with an industrial estate on the edge of Bakewell!

Actually if you want to do it correctly get an OS map for the area and work out the Northings and Westings. Google will accept these and plot it highly accurately. Can you tell I have played in the past?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Panda and all,

Ecclesiantics is reserved for discussion of worship practices. Although we sometimes have threads concerned with finding a church in a particular locale, setting up directories like the one in the OP does not really fit our scope.

Hence, following some backstage discussion, it's off to Heaven with us! Enjoy...

dj_ordinaire, Eccles host

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Schroedinger's cat

Ship's cool cat
# 64

- Posted      Profile for Schroedinger's cat   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The best answer is, I believe, a lat/long (or Northings/Eastings as JJ suggested), because these are far more accurate than postcodes.

I believe that if you click the location on google maps, then the URL will show the lat/long values.

(I have just been working on some mapping processes myself!)

--------------------
Blog
Music for your enjoyment
Lord may all my hard times be healing times
take out this broken heart and renew my mind.

Posts: 18859 | From: At the bottom of a deep dark well. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
Could I suggest they get a postcode pdq?

We had an elderly gentleman collapse in church and when we phoned for an ambulance, were told they needed a postcode to be able to dispatch paramedics / ambulance. Saying "you can't miss it, it's the big building with the spire in the village square; it's the only church in the village; you can see it from some distance away" wasn't enough. They needed to programme in a postcode.

(We did get am ambulance, and all was well, but we also got ourselves a postcode which is pinned up next to the phone in case of future need.)

It is not so easy to get a postcode, a church I was a member of in the past tried desperately to get one. However as we didn't have a post delivery, the post office refused to give us a postcode.
Posts: 1905 | From: the back of beyond | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

- Posted      Profile for Zacchaeus   Email Zacchaeus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another problem is that as you rarely write to a church and very few people know the postcode anyway, in the event of needing to tell the emergency services..
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think Net Spinster's reply should do the trick. Go into Google Maps (I still use the old version - I'm not sure you can do this with the new one) and click on "Edit in Google Map Maker" in the bottom right hand corner. That lets you stick pointy red blobs and other things on the map. If you know the approximate location of the church, you could use satellite view or street view to pinpoint it exactly.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
dj_ordinaire
Host
# 4643

- Posted      Profile for dj_ordinaire   Author's homepage   Email dj_ordinaire   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
(I would also add that not all countries have post codes - see here).

Note that this includes most of the developing world, plus Ireland ('cept Dublin)...

--------------------
Flinging wide the gates...

Posts: 10335 | From: Hanging in the balance of the reality of man | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As Panda has a Deanery to cover, we are probably talking the CofE here? A Church Near You may be helpful?

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Church in Wales has Deaneries too so A Church Near You is no help there. Problem I had with trying to get my old church onto google maps was convincing it I had the authority to do this.

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Penny S
Shipmate
# 14768

- Posted      Profile for Penny S     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I find the emergency services insistence on postcodes a bit of a problem - if you are out and about, there is no way to find the postcode of the place where you are. (Unless you have maps on your phone. A satnav will give lat/long. An OS map the grid ref. But they want the post code.)
Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

We are definitely in Wales! Perhaps we need a version of A Church Near You... Thanks for suggestions so far; will try them shortly.
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
West Yorkshire Ambulance Service was severely criticised by the Office of Rail Regulation after a worker was injured out on the track. The person who phoned for an ambulance was able to give a grid reference, but they wouldn't accept it and took a long time to arrive, considering the location was near the centre of Leeds.
Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The problem is not just in the UK. My Cathedral is in the middle of the city, opposite the Supreme Court building, next to the City Hall. When calling the ambulance, I had to keep guessing possible addresses. "On Smith Street opposite Supreme Court." Nope. "Next to Civic Square". No. "Cnr Smith Street and the Esplanade". Nope. "2 Smith Street". Nope. "4 Smith Street." Oh yes, we can send an ambulance there. [Mad]

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
SimonRockman
Apprentice
# 18155

- Posted      Profile for SimonRockman   Author's homepage   Email SimonRockman   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As postcodes are the staple of sat-navs I would have thought it worth all churches getting one. It will be the easiest way for visitors coming to a wedding, funeral or whatever to enter the address.

Yes, of course you can enter the name of the village and then just look for a building with a supernaturally pointy roof but given that lots of villages have the same name and so you also have to enter a country a six of so digit code is much easier.

Posts: 3 | From: London, England | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure churches do have a postcode, as does every other address in the country. The point being made is that when calling the emergency services. you don't necessarily know what the postcode is.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Spike:
I'm sure churches do have a postcode, as does every other address in the country. The point being made is that when calling the emergency services. you don't necessarily know what the postcode is.

The situation may have changed in the last two or three years, but our church had no post code because it had no postal delivery point. Once we had a letter box installed for the new church office we had to apply for a post code. For new buildings there is usually a charge, I believe, but not for old buildings which simply haven't been listed on the Postcode Address File (PAF). It took some time to establish what our postcode should be because there was more than one 'walk' which it would have been sensible for us to be included on, and the central office had to refer back to the local delivery office to decide which walk we should be placed on.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Quite. If the emergency services can't cope with "I'm out for a walk and I've found a man collapsed in the street. I'm on the main road in Someplace, just down the road from the Red Lion" then they are not fit for purpose.
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Leorning Cniht:
If the emergency services can't cope with "I'm out for a walk and I've found a man collapsed in the street. I'm on the main road in Someplace, just down the road from the Red Lion" then they are not fit for purpose.

This reminds me of the old joke:
quote:
A man comes across the victim of a hit-and-run accident. He grabs his cell phone, calls 911, and explains the problem to the dispatcher. “What’s the address?” she asks. “714 Eucalyptus Street,” he replies. "Can you spell that?” she inquires. After a pause, the man says, “How about I take her over to Oak Street and you can pick her up there?”

[ 11. July 2014, 14:18: Message edited by: Pigwidgeon ]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zacchaeus:
It is not so easy to get a postcode, a church I was a member of in the past tried desperately to get one. However as we didn't have a post delivery, the post office refused to give us a postcode.

As an American church employee in an urban area, I am puzzled. We get all sorts of stuff in the mail every day -- invoices, pledges, catalogs, junk mail, even the occasional piece of hate mail. Where does this church's mail go?
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

As an American church employee in an urban area, I am puzzled. We get all sorts of stuff in the mail every day -- invoices, pledges, catalogs, junk mail, even the occasional piece of hate mail. Where does this church's mail go?
Usually to the vicarage..
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:

Usually to the vicarage..
And actually a lot of churches these days have parish offices, to which all the mail goes but which are not necessarily in the church.

I don't actually know a CofE church with a letter box.

[ 11. July 2014, 16:43: Message edited by: Zacchaeus ]

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

quote:

Like Bro James, we had no postcode, because the church had no letterbox. When the elderly man in our congregation collapsed, I gather we ended up riffling through the phone book while on the phone to the emergency services, to find and provide the postcode of an adjacent business.

We have a postcode now. Apparently we have to accept mail at our postcode, but quite how we do that when the church has no letterbox is anyone's guess.

We have out newly acquired postcode pined to the wall next to the phone.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another one echoing that churches do not necessarily have post codes. Here post codes are given that will find the churches of the team for people to use in their satnavs, but they are of the nearest building with a post code, not the churches.

That team has a team office (actually next door to one of the churches) where all mail is sent in theory but mail also goes to vicarages including the one that was sold off, some distance from the church, very unhelpfully.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember too that every building in some small hamlets may share the same post code! (As I have found out, trying to find a house in the dark with no street lights or house numbers ...).
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zacchaeus
Shipmate
# 14454

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Remember too that every building in some small hamlets may share the same post code! (As I have found out, trying to find a house in the dark with no street lights or house numbers ...).

And in some rural areas postcodes may cover very wide areas in terms of space.

one of the churches in our team uses the nearest building postcode, however different church members use different nearby buildings and different postcodes - causes some interesting confusion.

The best one was when a bride put the nearest building postcode on the invites, only to have some very confused guests knowcking on the door of an even more bemused householder...

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DangerousDeacon:
The problem is not just in the UK. My Cathedral is in the middle of the city, opposite the Supreme Court building, next to the City Hall. When calling the ambulance, I had to keep guessing possible addresses. "On Smith Street opposite Supreme Court." Nope. "Next to Civic Square". No. "Cnr Smith Street and the Esplanade". Nope. "2 Smith Street". Nope. "4 Smith Street." Oh yes, we can send an ambulance there. [Mad]

And, in a cathedral like yours, that is doing the right thing by street people and the down and out, there will be emergency service calls ... I'd be interested to know where your local call centre is (in terms of 100s/1000s kilometres away ...)

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
DangerousDeacon
Shipmate
# 10582

- Posted      Profile for DangerousDeacon   Author's homepage   Email DangerousDeacon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The emergency call centre is (I think) in Newcastle, which makes it a mere 3,000 km in a straight line (3,800 if you drive). [Mad]

--------------------
'All the same, it may be that I am wrong; what I take for gold and diamonds may be only a little copper and glass.'

Posts: 506 | From: Top End | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My brother advises on health & safety in rural areas. His advice to farmers who might need to call emergency services is that they should know the lat/long for the entrance to the farm, since post-codes, as has already been pointed out, can be misleading. He said it has not been unknown for fire fighters to end up carry equipment across the field to the barn on fire, because of where the post-code had taken them (eg nowhere near the farm entrance).

--------------------
Less is more ...

Panda
Shipmate
# 2951

Rejoice with me! About half a dozen of the churches I'm trying to sort are now there, thanks to Map Maker.

When I was doing it, though, I realised I was doing it as Anonymous, rather than via my own Google log-in, so those ones don't appear to have been validated. But we seem to getting somewhere. And wherever that is, it's on a map!

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016