homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Communion wafer machine?

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.    
Source: (consider it) Thread: Communion wafer machine?
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know where a communion wafer maker can be bought? I have some visitors from a Ugandan diocese who would like to be able to make their own.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amazon?

http://www.holyart.co.uk/liturgical-accessories/hosts-moulds

http://www.kissing-menden.com/english/hostbaking-machine/machines-for-manual-baking.htm

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Old school.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much for the links - I knew someone here would know! I needed to search for Host rather than Communion Wafer. They are not cheap though [Ultra confused]
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could probably make them on a baking tray and mark a cross on each ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kyzyl

Ship's dog
# 374

- Posted      Profile for Kyzyl   Email Kyzyl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do they need to be wafers? I have a recipe for communion bread. If you'd like it, send me a PM

--------------------
I need a quote.

Posts: 668 | From: Wapasha's Prairie | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was the inevitable nerd who was immediately, on seeing the thread title, thinking of an ATM-type Communion Wafer Dispensing Machine, and thinking how that would make my Sundays so much easier.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Polly Plummer
Shipmate
# 13354

- Posted      Profile for Polly Plummer   Email Polly Plummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a friend who left the priesthood because he felt he'd become a wafer dispensing machine - though he did come back many years later.
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
I was the inevitable nerd who was immediately, on seeing the thread title, thinking of an ATM-type Communion Wafer Dispensing Machine, and thinking how that would make my Sundays so much easier.

I was actually picturing this.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Polly Plummer:
I had a friend who left the priesthood because he felt he'd become a wafer dispensing machine - though he did come back many years later.

Oh I so understand that!

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I think the hope was to be able to generate some income as well as make their own, but it's not looking likely given the price of these machines.
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Holy PEZ. [Angel]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Holy PEZ. [Angel]

Thanks for the nightmares!

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe this one?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I think the hope was to be able to generate some income as well as make their own, but it's not looking likely given the price of these machines.

I wonder if something like this would fit the bill. There's also a link to an Italian webpage with instructions. Clearly it was once possible to buy wafer irons (and probably still is) but I can't find any online
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Why am I reminded of a trolley conductor dispensing change?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I was picturing some Wallace and Gromit contraption going mad and shooting wafers all over the chancel. Sort of like what happened in the pre-air-conditioning days in the American South when our associate priest walked in front of a huge electric fan with a full paten. Had to pick 'em all up and eat them himself, too.
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Enoch
Shipmate
# 14322

- Posted      Profile for Enoch   Email Enoch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Antisocial Alto:
And I was picturing some Wallace and Gromit contraption going mad and shooting wafers all over the chancel. ...

Wonderful mental picture. I'll never watch clay pigeon shooting again without thinking of it.

--------------------
Brexit wrexit - Sir Graham Watson

Posts: 7610 | From: Bristol UK(was European Green Capital 2015, now Ljubljana) | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pez candy dispensers would be good, especially for Family Services. For multi-station distribution you could have the Trinity figures, or the Holy Family. Or for really big places, The Pez Disciples.

What ever happened to that goofy 'priest' who would mail peeps a consecrated host (for a small fee)?

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sort of like what happened in the pre-air-conditioning days in the American South when our associate priest walked in front of a huge electric fan with a full paten. Had to pick 'em all up and eat them himself, too.

Was this by any chance at the Pro-Cathedral in Baltimore? If not, the same thing happened there.

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
Pez candy dispensers would be good, especially for Family Services. For multi-station distribution you could have the Trinity figures, or the Holy Family. Or for really big places, The Pez Disciples.

What ever happened to that goofy 'priest' who would mail peeps a consecrated host (for a small fee)?

Pearl, did you see the Jesus Pez dispenser I linked to a few posts up? Now we just need tiny, rectangular Hosts.

As for Post the Host, they seem still to be in business, or at least their webpage is still up.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

[Hot and Hormonal] No, Pigwidgeon, I didn't. Sorry. I'll try to keep up. And, I hope our Rector doesn't see that l-o-n-g litany thing at the end of the PosttheHost page. He would twist that into the Prayers of the people quicker than my dog on a slice of baloney.

--------------------
Oinkster

Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
quote:
Sort of like what happened in the pre-air-conditioning days in the American South when our associate priest walked in front of a huge electric fan with a full paten. Had to pick 'em all up and eat them himself, too.

Was this by any chance at the Pro-Cathedral in Baltimore? If not, the same thing happened there.
I saw it in North Carolina in the early eighties but I imagine it must have happened in many places with no AC. Nothing like a grown-up's gaffe to liven up a dozy summer service for a little girl. [Big Grin]
Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
churchgeek

Have candles, will pray
# 5557

- Posted      Profile for churchgeek   Author's homepage   Email churchgeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
As for Post the Host, they seem still to be in business, or at least their webpage is still up.

quote:
The Body of Jesus for the housed and the homeless
Nice thought, but how is a host-by-post supposed to reach the homeless?

--------------------
I reserve the right to change my mind.

My article on the Virgin of Vladimir

Posts: 7773 | From: Detroit | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leorning Cniht
Shipmate
# 17564

- Posted      Profile for Leorning Cniht   Email Leorning Cniht   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by churchgeek:
Nice thought, but how is a host-by-post supposed to reach the homeless?

Poste Restante?
Posts: 5026 | From: USA | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pew! Pew! Pew!

They're just the right size...

[Big Grin]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I once saw something like that on a table in the back of a church. On entering, those planning to go to Communion would use it to drop a wafer into a bowl, so they didn't actually touch it. Then the bowl was taken to the altar in procession at the offertory. The idea is appealing and instructive in theory, but IMHO far too fussy an innovation as a regular practice.

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016