homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » 90% of the game is half mental: baseball 2014 (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Source: (consider it) Thread: 90% of the game is half mental: baseball 2014
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It looked in at normal speed, out on replay because Hosner's fingers did not initially touch the bag even though they were over it. Right call, by about a tenth of a second!

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
....after mumblemumble years of suffering ...

Yep. Three times in five years has been redemptive, but I don't think the Giants will be morphed into the Yankees by success.

Damned close thing this year. A truly exceptional WS performance by an extraordinary pitcher, but backed up by some stellar defence, excellent bullpen work particularly by Affeldt, and some clutch hitting by Panda and Pence in particular, Even then, the Royals were 90 feet away from taking it to extra innings, which I reckon they would have been sure to win. Really tough loss for them.

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This year I've learned that home advantage, or knowledge of the ballpark matters, probably more to outfielders than batters. Where they start has to vary according to batter, pitcher, game situation and shape and size of the field. KCs stadium is vast, so (I think) quick and smart outfielders are at a premium, hence the value of Lorenzo Cain who can cover almost half the outfield on his own, with Pence a little behind him - it's amazing how a big guy like him covers ground so fast.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hedgehog:
Really, what more could you want from a Game 7? Tight right to the end, with a tying run on third.

Yeah, that's why it was so much more satisfying than 2012--it doesn't really feel like a Giants postseason unless you're sinking into your seat, resisting the impulse to cover your eyes...

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roger Angell, the consensus pick as the best baseball writer of them all, and whose memory goes back a long way, compares Bumgarner to Mathewson. High praise indeed.

His New Yorker piece is titled ¨The Best¨.

I think I'm probably finished for the season now.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My memory goes back to Marichal (I saw him pitch twice), who only got to pitch in one World Series, and who was almost as good as Bumgarner. If he'd had the emotional stability, who knows.

It was a good'un. See you when pitchers and catchers report for spring training.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just been reading some stats on the WS.

Madbum pitched 21 innings, gave up a single run, claimed 2 wins (including a total game shutout) and a preposterous 5-inning save, and had an ERA of 0.43.

Other Giants starting pitchers had no wins, never made it beyond the 6th inning (3/5 didn't make it out of the 3rd), and had a combined ERA of 9.92.

Never has an MVP been more obviously V.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was trying to do those very sums! Thanks.

Lorenzo Cain is quoted saying that 'Without Bumgarner, we would probably have won'. Where did he get that 'probably' from?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The World Series is over, so my attention turns to the Southern Hemisphere for the Australian Baseball League--some of whose games will be viewable on You Tube this year (at the ABL.TV You Tube channel).

Go Sydney!

(Hey, I have to watch something to get through the winter!)

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
The World Series is over, so my attention turns to the Southern Hemisphere for the Australian Baseball League--some of whose games will be viewable on You Tube this year (at the ABL.TV You Tube channel).

Go Sydney!

(Hey, I have to watch something to get through the winter!)

I wonder if the fine Australian tradition of 'sledging' will be transferred to baseball from cricket. There's trash-talking in baseball, but the Aussies have raised it to an art form. At least three England cricketers have returned very early from tours down-under and I can't help thinking that our cricketers just aren't prepared for this aspect of a long trip.

btw, I'll be following Adelaide as I have family thereabouts. Nothing to do with a huge win over the banana benders.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

Can't quite move on without a comment about the rainy parade. Hunter Pence's final celebratory contribution brought the curtain down nicely.

Next year? The heart will be there. I hope the Panda will be there. Looks like a great bullpen will still be there. But the starting pitching needs fixing.

--------------------

Hedgehog

Ship's Shortstop
# 14125

- Posted      Profile for Hedgehog   Email Hedgehog   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah. They need to dump that Bumgarner guy. Preferably to the Phillies.

--------------------
"We must regain the conviction that we need one another, that we have a shared responsibility for others and the world, and that being good and decent are worth it."--Pope Francis, Laudato Si'

Posts: 2740 | From: Delaware, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I rooted for SF 'cause they're just up the road apiece from Chavez Ravine and I did go to Cal for a couple of years...

Dodgers next year?????????

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:

I was thinking something similar. Not the same, but similar.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:

[Killing me]

--------------------

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

A PPS.

You probably missed it the other side of the pond, but in the Sutcliffe/Thorne commentary on the international feed, Rick Sutcliffe observed that Yost had lots of options at the start of the 5th. He could be flexible about the way he used that stellar bullpen to contain the Giants.

Whereas for Bochy, it was a little different. As soon as Bumgarner came out of the bullpen, in Texas Hold'em terms, the call was "all in". If that gamble on short rest didn't pay off, it was probably "game over". That was a neat observation.

--------------------

Prester John
Shipmate
# 5502

- Posted      Profile for Prester John   Email Prester John   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
quote:

I was thinking something similar. Not the same, but similar.
Continue to hope. #fiveyearcontractandstuff.
Posts: 884 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016