homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   »   » Oblivion   » Dah de dum da de Zzzzz (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Dah de dum da de Zzzzz
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Down in the hallowed halls of Ecclesiantics the punters have strayed from the theme (with help from one of their hosts [Roll Eyes] ) to touch on the glories or otherwise of national anthems. Which ones do you rate, which do you hate?

Loathe though I am to admit it I love "Star Spangled Banner" and "La Marseillaise," though my favourite is probably The South African (and Zambian, because they stole the same tune, though their words are embarrassing!). The New Zealand is average, the Australian execrable, and so far the worst I've heard is the Brazilian which takes longer than Wagner's "Ring Cycle".

This site provides tunes and lyrics to jog your memory.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fond of the old Soviet anthem, which we sometimes used to play on 78 to round off the evening in my undergraduate days.Nowadays when I hear it I often find my hand creeping up, quite spontaneously, to do a little Brezhnev wave.

[ 23. February 2015, 20:54: Message edited by: Albertus ]

Posts: 6498 | From: Y Sowth | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Teufelchen
Shipmate
# 10158

- Posted      Profile for Teufelchen   Email Teufelchen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Albertus:
Fond of the old Soviet anthem, which we sometimes used to play on 78 to round off the evening in my undergraduate days.Nowadays when I hear it I often find my hand creeping up, quite spontaneously, to do a little Brezhnev wave.

Me too. (The anthem, that is, not the wave.) It's a much better tune than ours.

I also like the Deutschlandlied, but mainly because the tune is by Haydn. Let's leave the lyrics to political history classes.

t

--------------------
Little devil

Posts: 3894 | From: London area | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
At our local Remembrance Sunday service last year, the local school provides a band for the Act of Remembrance, who finish off with the National Anthem (UK version). This year it ran somewhat late and an order was given to speed things up a bit. Well, they added a bit of extra pace to God Save the Queen and do you know what the ghastly dirge actually sounded pretty decent. Give it a bit of wellie, not as though one's corgi has just popped its clogs, and it's a half-decent tune.

Despite coming from about as far East of Wales as it is possible to get in the UK without swimming, Land of my Fathers does it for me, especially when massed voices are giving it some humpty.

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We hear Land of my Fathers plenty by yur while GSTQ is booed every time it is played. Right enough, because it is boring, only outdone by Flower of Scotland.

A couple of weeks ago when Ireland played France in Dublin we heard La Marseillaise; Ireland, Ireland and The Soldier's Song: three top tunes.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
C'mon Zappa. You just haven't heard the Brazilian anthem sung properly.

Try this example. Not only do enough of the fans know the words, but they insist on singing it with enthusiasm...

unlike most places

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Horseman Bree: C'mon Zappa. You just haven't heard the Brazilian anthem sung properly.
I admit it's a bit long, but it has a nice melody. Slightly on the frivolous edge of what's acceptable for a national anthem, but I think that reflects the Brazilian people.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Canada, how boring, boring, boring (English, listened to by millions)

Oh! Canada, zip de zoo da day (French) Sung with verve and volume high by people who know the words)

The Star Strangled Banner (sung enthusiastically by all its citizens, but usually off-key, probably in honour of Francis Scott Key)

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
LeRoc

Famous Dutch pirate
# 3216

- Posted      Profile for LeRoc     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The anthem of Portugal has Às armas! Às armas! ("At arms! At arms!") in the chorus. I once heard it sung by 300 school children, who of course sung that part with much gusto. I literally became afraid for a moment.

--------------------
I know why God made the rhinoceros, it's because He couldn't see the rhinoceros, so He made the rhinoceros to be able to see it. (Clarice Lispector)

Posts: 9474 | From: Brazil / Africa | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Italian national anthem. Catchy, bouncy, full of verve, it's lovely to listen to.
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Marseillaise, especially as sung in that scene in Casablanca. Aux armes, citoyens!

[ 24. February 2015, 08:25: Message edited by: Lord Jestocost ]

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The first official Afghan national anthem was rather interesting: in 6/8 time, it had no words just a rather good melody.

It was written in an attempt to stop Pathan members of the Afghan forces singing their traditional marching song, which translates as There's a boy across the river with a bottom like a peach but, alas, I cannot swim. Needless to say, the old marching song has endured, to the extent that the Taliban, when in power, passed a specific law forbidding the singing of it, either with words or without.

The Argentinian anthem comes in at an incredible 3½ minutes and invariably provides one of the biggest challenges to the poor musician tasked with producing a minute-long version for Olympic games.

However, (and much though I'd like to say Hen Wlad fy Nhadau beats all-comers) for sheer verve its got to be La Marseillaise.

--------------------
Rara temporum felicitate ubi sentire quae velis et quae sentias dicere licet

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Bound to have been an improvement on this!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anselmina
Ship's barmaid
# 3032

- Posted      Profile for Anselmina     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LeRoc:
The anthem of Portugal has Às armas! Às armas! ("At arms! At arms!") in the chorus. I once heard it sung by 300 school children, who of course sung that part with much gusto. I literally became afraid for a moment.

'At arms!' - rather ironic for a nation who built a whopping great statue in Lisbon to celebrate the fact they were neutral during the second world war.

The Star Spangled Banner is a great anthem - even if beyond the singable range of most ordinary people - unless you begin on absolutely the right note. But altogether a great tune, well written.

I would've said that the Flower of Scotland vs. the Soldier's Song - the Scots would've won that. Both musically and lyrically. Always thought there was something deeply canny about that line about sending the English back home 'tae think again'!

--------------------
Irish dogs needing homes! http://www.dogactionwelfaregroup.ie/ Greyhounds and Lurchers are shipped over to England for rehoming too!

Posts: 10002 | From: Scotland the Brave | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

- Posted      Profile for L'organist   Author's homepage   Email L'organist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anselmina [Killing me]

Made my day - and its not even time for elevenses!

--------------------

Posts: 4950 | From: somewhere in England... | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I proudly present to you the Ode to Newfoundland -- to the best of my knowledge, the only national anthem anywhere entirely dedicated to the weather. Oh, the last verse tucks in some obligatory stuff about our forefathers and praying for God to keep our land, etc., but the first three verses are all about the weather, as well they should be.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

- Posted      Profile for Albertus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
The Marseillaise, especially as sung in that scene in Casablanca. Aux armes, citoyens!

Of course. And though I'm sure we all know the scene, it's always worth seeing again.
Mind you, The Watch on the Rhine is pretty catchy too.

[ 24. February 2015, 11:05: Message edited by: Albertus ]

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

- Posted      Profile for Horseman Bree   Email Horseman Bree   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re the Scots and GSTQ: there was averse added after the '45, to deal with the Jacobites:

quote:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save The King.

Two sides to every story

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Posts: 5372 | From: more herring choker than bluenose | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Horseman Bree
Shipmate
# 5290

While I'm on here, I have a couple of questions.

I understand, from a book about such things, reviewed a decade ago by The Times, I learned that the Andorran anthem includes the lines:

"The great Charlemagne liberated me from the Saracens
And from heaven he gave me Meritxell the great Mother....

I am the only remaining daughter of the Carolingian empire..."

Obviously, this is suffering in translation, but how on Earth does one sing something like this?

Burkina Faso:

"Against the humiliating bondage of a thousand years...

Against cynical malice in the shape of neo-colonialism and its petty local servants...

Many gave in but certain others resisted..."

Doesn't sound like a rousing call to unity, does it?

And, Congo:

"And if we have to die
What does it matter?"

which pretty well sums up their dismal history.

And, re GSTQ, try singing the Liechtenstein:

"Oben am jungen Rhein
Lehnet sich Liechtenstein
An Alpenhoh'n"

which might sound quite good.

Oh, and from the article, it appears that Slovenia's anthem is mostly about fine wine. Is this actually so?

[ 24. February 2015, 12:24: Message edited by: Horseman Bree ]

--------------------
It's Not That Simple

Gamaliel
Shipmate
# 812

- Posted      Profile for Gamaliel   Author's homepage   Email Gamaliel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Iss gorra be Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau isn't it?

There's a tune. There's words.

Mind you, my ol' Dad ewesed to say 'a' 'Jerusalem' would be a berra English National Anthem 'an God sav'a Queen ...

I da reckon 'e wuz right an'aw ...

'And did those feet, in ancient time ..'

There's a tune mind, there's words.

--------------------
Let us with a gladsome mind
Praise the Lord for He is kind.

http://philthebard.blogspot.com

Posts: 15997 | From: Cheshire, UK | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gamaliel:
There's a tune mind, there's words.

Rather, a series of rhetorical questions to which the answer is "no".
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Hilda of Whitby
Shipmate
# 7341

- Posted      Profile for Hilda of Whitby   Email Hilda of Whitby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In Baltimore, Maryland, there is a very local twist to the singing of the U,S. national anthem. It was started at a Baltimore Orioles baseball game decades ago and still continues. The Orioles (or the O's) are a storied professional baseball team with rabid fans.

When my husband and I moved to Balto in 1986, we weren't aware of this national anthem custom. We went to a 4th of July celebration at the Inner Harbor where the national anthem was sung. At the line 'Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave" everyone *bellowed* the word "OH". We burst out laughing--not in a mean way or anything; it just sounded really funny. We found out from friends about the link to the O's.

--------------------
"Born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad."

Posts: 412 | From: Nickel City | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in 1973 or thereabouts, there was a Radio 4 programme called Week Ending (I think) which was a comic round up of the week's news. One week the story was that the French wanted to change the Marseillaise, so they wrote their own version which included the lines:

"They want to take out all the da-da-das,
And the tar-ra-ra-bum-di-ays.
What a shame! Who's to blame?
Callahan!"

Our classics teacher recorded it, and taught it to us in class the next morning!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back in the 80s, I knew an older lady who would occasionally be heard humming the Polish National Anthem. If questioned about it, she would blush, smile, and allude to a wartime "friendship" with a Polish airman.

(Wherever you are, Mrs S, I hope you're happy! [Biased] )

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
I proudly present to you the Ode to Newfoundland -- to the best of my knowledge, the only national anthem anywhere entirely dedicated to the weather ...

D. reckons there may be a verse missing, so he added it:

And when three feet in front of you
You cannot see your hand
With cloudy hills and misty rills,
We love thee, foggy land ...

[Killing me]

I love the Ode - it always brings a lump to my throat, and I'm a CFA*. I'm also quite attached to GSTQ and O Canada; whenever we have a remembrance service or other military service, we get all three, which is fine by me.

IMHO Flower of Scotland is a frightful old dirge, and should be replaced with Scotland the Brave - I can't help thinking it would fire up our rugby team a bit better ... [Big Grin]

* Comes From Away

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another vote for Mae'r Hen Wlad fy Nhadau.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hilda of Whitby:
In Baltimore, Maryland, there is a very local twist to the singing of the U,S. national anthem...

Our daughter went to a High School who's team mascot was the Braves (before such First Peoples' references became less politically correct.) So when the Star Spangled Banner was played before each game the singing was only mildly enthusiastic until the last line, wnen almost everyone joined in with "and the home of the Braves".

Usually the tune drags, as is often the case when trying to get a mass of people to sing in unison. But when sung up to tempo (as befits the original words) it seems much more appropriate.

Aravis
Shipmate
# 13824

- Posted      Profile for Aravis   Email Aravis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found a second verse for Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau in an old collection of British national songs, which nobody seems to have heard of.
No votes so far for Nkosi Sikelele Africa? That's my favourite.

Posts: 689 | From: S Wales | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Trudy Scrumptious:
to the best of my knowledge, the only national anthem anywhere entirely dedicated to the weather.

Possibly true, but there is a rumour that NZ is the only nation to have its entire defence policy incorporated into one line of its national anthem: "God defend New Zee-ee-eeeEEE-ee-land" (thus - sorry, horrendously Mariah Careyesque rendition but best I could find at short notice [Hot and Hormonal] )

--------------------

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually the Maori version is quite lovely; Like Canada, you could do with dropping the English wail.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To Anachreon in Heaven has got to be the hardest-to-sing tune ever written (after, perhaps, O Holy Night). So which one is sung at baseball games and school assemblies and political rallies four thousand times a day? The idea of a flag surviving a bombardment being a symbol of a nation surviving attack is a fine one. But can't we sing it to a more singable tune? Like maybe "Old MacDonald's Farm"?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any national anthems or songs which require me to express belief that my country is more blessed than others, or that God had some special hand in its founding more than others, I won't sing. (This also goes especially for ones in church.) To me, those are toxic, idolatrous nonsense.

Asking God to bless our nation is just fine, though I think we need to ask Him to bless everyone else too.

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

quote:
Originally posted by Aravis:
I found a second verse for Mae Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau in an old collection of British national songs, which nobody seems to have heard of.

It's a good verse, too. I find myself singing it to myself fromm time to time.
Here's Cerys Matthews singing the two verses (second one in, after a minute or so). There's a third verse too- wikipedia will show them to you, with translations.

Gee D
Shipmate
# 13815

- Posted      Profile for Gee D     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aux Armes, Citroëns
Formez vos battaillons
Roulez, roulez
Q'un essence impur
Abrueve vos deux chevaux.

(To arms, Citroëns, line up together, Roll on, roll on, lest bad petrol spoil your 2 horsepower - I hope a good enough translation for the Hosts.)

[ 25. February 2015, 09:30: Message edited by: Gee D ]

--------------------
Not every Anglican in Sydney is Sydney Anglican

Posts: 7028 | From: Warrawee NSW Australia | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Teufelchen:
quote:

Me too. (The anthem, that is, not the wave.) It's a much better tune than ours.
Have you noticed that you can sing Away in a Manger to that tune? (Use the upbeats for the first syllable of each line.)

Makes Christmas services a lot more exciting [Smile]

Amy

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Offeiriad

Ship's Arboriculturalist
# 14031

- Posted      Profile for Offeiriad   Email Offeiriad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Another vote for Mae'r Hen Wlad fy Nhadau.

As well as a translation, there is another useful resource: words that make you look like you are singing the real thing. (John Redwood, once Secretary of State for Wales, was famously embarassed by a TV appearance when he was unable to sing the anthem!) My training rector taught it to me long years ago: I can't remember much, but I recall it began
My hen laid an egg in the henhouse last night... [Devil]

Posts: 1426 | From: La France profonde | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

Or
My hen laid a haddock, one hand oiled a flea; glad farts and centurions threw dogs in the sea...

--------------------
My beard is a testament to my masculinity and virility, and demonstrates that I am a real man. Trouble is, bits of quiche sometimes get caught in it.

L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

If you YouTube you can find Bryn Terfel singing Hen Wlad fy Nhadau...

My late-lamented, though English, said there was nothing made the hairs on the back of the neck rise quite like a stadium full singing Gwlad, gwlad, pleidiol wyf i'm gwlad.

--------------------

ArachnidinElmet
Shipmate
# 17346

- Posted      Profile for ArachnidinElmet   Email ArachnidinElmet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...No votes so far for Nkosi Sikelele Africa? That's my favourite.

Good Call.

--------------------
'If a pleasant, straight-forward life is not possible then one must try to wriggle through by subtle manoeuvres' - Kafka

Posts: 1887 | From: the rhubarb triangle | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a tangent, but is there any national anthem with more questions marks than the USA's Star Spangled Banner? And does anyone use the word "spangled" anywhere else? Maybe it is worth trying, such as "spangle some milk into my coffee would you please?"

I am not overly fond of O Canada, I don't know that we really need to stand on guard for thee, but rather shovel snow. Or in the other season, swat mosquitos.

Finally, I heard a rumour that the US state of Oregon was trying to have Louie Louie declared as the state song. (Louie Lou-eye oh-oh, we gotto go, yah yah yah yah etc.) I hope it's true.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
betjemaniac
Shipmate
# 17618

- Posted      Profile for betjemaniac     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ArachnidinElmet:
quote:
...No votes so far for Nkosi Sikelele Africa? That's my favourite.

Good Call.
Well, no votes except Zappa in the opening post anyway!

Top trivia fact, the national anthem of South Africa is a blended hybrid of Nkosi Sikelele Africa and the old apartheid era Die Stem van Suid-Afrika.

As such it finishes in a different key to the one it starts in
[Overused]

--------------------
And is it true? For if it is....

Posts: 1481 | From: behind the dreaming spires | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
does anyone use the word "spangled" anywhere else?

Possibly not as bad as Australia's "girt"

--------------------

AngloCatholicGirl
Shipmate
# 16435

- Posted      Profile for AngloCatholicGirl   Email AngloCatholicGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always liked it when they play Land of Hope and Glory for England. I remember during the commonwealth games in Manchester they where playing it for the anthem when England got a gold medal presented. A lot of people where singing along in the stadium so some bright spark had the idea of putting the words up on the big screen and the when the next (English) athlete was presented with gold the whole stadium burst into Land of Hope and Glory at full volume. I remember the athlete being so surprised at the volume that she nearly dropped her bouquet

--------------------
Love is the wisdom of the fool and the folly of the wise -Samuel Johnson

Posts: 75 | From: Now from across the pond | Registered: May 2011  |  IP: Logged
ChastMastr
Shipmate
# 716

- Posted      Profile for ChastMastr   Author's homepage   Email ChastMastr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no prophet's flag is set so...:
And does anyone use the word "spangled" anywhere else?

Pretty much with shiny things on cloth, as in, "The skaters' costumes were spangled with glitter" or the like, and that's about it, I think. [Smile]

--------------------
My essays on comics continuity: http://chastmastr.tumblr.com/tagged/continuity

Posts: 14068 | From: Clearwater, Florida | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I love that song. The harmony on it is stunning.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After half an hour of desultory youtubing, I've reached the conclusion that it's impossible to tell the difference between a collection of South American national anthems, and an album of Rossini opera choruses.

--------------------
"What is broken, repair with gold."

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Albertus
Shipmate
# 13356

That's probably because it's historically been difficult to tell the difference between South American governments and a season of Rossini operas.
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

And mine.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Clarence
Shipmate
# 9491

- Posted      Profile for Clarence   Email Clarence   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone voted for Finlandia yet? Has to be one of the best and up there with O Canada.

--------------------
I scraped my knees while I was praying - Paramore

Posts: 793 | From: Over the rainbow | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
L'organist
Shipmate
# 17338

No one has voted for Finlandia because it isn't a national anthem!

The national anthem of Finland is called Maamme: music by a Finn (Frederik Pacius) and words taken from a long Swedish poem by Johan Runeberg.

Finlandia is a fine tune (number 7 of a Symphonic Poem) and was indeed written about his native land by Jean Sibelius, and the words that were added in 1941 make it a popular patriotic song, but it is not the national anthem - oh, and Sibelius didn't like the words and its only usually performed with them in Finland, elsewhere orchestras just perform the Symphonic Poem.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016